Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone go (went) to Depauw???

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Anyone go (went) to Depauw???

IndyGeezer Jr. has stated that is the first place he wants to visit. Prolly music and/or Pre-law.

What about it?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: Anyone go (went) to Depauw???

I went there for a friends graduation. Looked like a nice campus.

Can't help you out much from there.

By the way Geez, did you ever sell that 15000 acres south of the middle of nowhere?

Edit: I'm not looking to buy, just curious if you found someone gullible enough to purchase it.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went there for a friends graduation. Looked like a nice campus.

Can't help you out much from there.

By the way Geez, did you ever sell that 15000 acres south of the middle of nowhere?

Edit: I'm not looking to buy, just curious if you found someone gullible enough to purchase it.

An investor bought it, is building a pond on it, and will be subdividing it at 4X the purchase price.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Did you get your commission off of it?

I went to Wabash, so DePauw pretty much stinks in my book.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    I went to Wabash, so DePauw pretty much stinks in my book.

Ppppppffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttt!!!

The ELi Lilly clan went to Wabash.

Buncha snobs

j/k j/k afterall I graduated from the Uni of Indy (ICC back then)

They had universities back then?

Or did ICC stand for Introductory Caveman College back then?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My brother and law and his wife went to DePauw. They turned out reasonably normal. Considering the rest of my wife's family, I think its an accomplishment when any of the turn out to be reasonably normal.

Good reputation. Expensive. Wouldn't be a top choice for business/ accounting undergrad, it certainly has a liberal arts core.

My brother in law had a spanish degree and he's had a successful sales career. His wife - I don't know what he degree was but she's been a freelance writer, PR consultant, and ran her own jewlry boutique.

And unlike my alma mater, Greencastle isn't really surrounded by cornfields.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At first I thought you guys were reffering to DePaul.

I was quite confused.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I had the opposite reaction when I moved here.

I thought, damn, that's a lot of people in Chicago from such a small school.

Oops.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I visited DePauw way back when and I was REALLY turned off by the social scene, It relies heavily on the greek system. There's nothing wrong with being greek, but if all there is to do in town is hang out and drink, then that's all the brothers and sisters are going to want to do.

Anyone who knows me knows that I like a good party. I just know the difference between a good party and a 5-times-a-week-binge-a-thon, and Depauw seemed to be that kind of scene.

This is the benefit you get when you visit for a few days and know a couple of people who go there. If all you do is take the official tour, all you get are "we have amazing programs in everything, our facilities are the best in the world and look at all the fresh planted flowers!"
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    I visited DePauw way back when and I was REALLY turned off by the social scene, It relies heavily on the greek system. There's nothing wrong with being greek, but if all there is to do in town is hang out and drink, then that's all the brothers and sisters are going to want to do.
    Anyone who knows me knows that I like a good party. I just know the difference between a good party and a 5-times-a-week-binge-a-thon, and Depauw seemed to be that kind of scene.

This is the benefit you get when you visit for a few days and know a couple of people who go there. If all you do is take the official tour, all you get are "we have amazing programs in everything, our facilities are the best in the world and look at all the fresh planted flowers!"

Interesting thought that. His first choice is Uni of Michigan....but h wants to investigage other option before deciding for keeps.

and it was Indiana Central College back then. Beore that I attended Indiana State University (Indiana State Teachers College).

personally for undergrad institutions, eveyone has their comfort zone but I liked a small school where I had smallish classes, knew professors by name (and they knew me), knew a large percentage of my classmates, and was encouraged to take a wide variety of classes to broaden my education as well as discovering what I really like.

I kidded you, but DePauw in a fine school. So is Wabash. So is Earlham, and many other schools of that size.

I know a couple people from my class and the one that graduated after me that go to Depauw. They seem to like it. I think they get the same kind of small school feel they got from Brebeuf and that Geez Jr. may get from Cathedral. Its a good school, but it wasn't for me, but like I said I've got quite a few friends who go there and really enjoy it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Interesting thought that. His first choice is Uni of Michigan....but h wants to investigage other option before deciding for keeps.

and it was Indiana Central College back then. Beore that I attended Indiana State University (Indiana State Teachers College).

I think that if you have the opportunity to go to Michigan, you take it and run.

Just my opinion, I see where he obviously wants to explore his options.

My aunt graduated from DePauw in the 80's. As it has been said before she told me that it relied heavily on the Greek scene in terms of a social atmosphere. I visited the school three years ago when I was applying for colleges and I found Greencastle to be much too boring (ended up going to school in an urban environment). It does have a good reputation and I think that Vernon Jordan actually did his undergrad work there. I think that academically Wabash, DePauw, and Notre Dame are by far the best schools in the state. Sure, IU is fun for sports, but a degree from DePauw would, at least when you're talking about liberal arts, hold much more weight in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    My aunt graduated from DePauw in the 80's. As it has been said before she told me that it relied heavily on the Greek scene in terms of a social atmosphere. I visited the school three years ago when I was applying for colleges and I found Greencastle to be much too boring (ended up going to school in an urban environment). It does have a good reputation and I think that Vernon Jordan actually did his undergrad work there. I think that academically Wabash, DePauw, and Notre Dame are by far the best schools in the state. Sure, IU is fun for sports, but a degree from DePauw would, at least when you're talking about liberal arts, hold much more weight in the real world.
    Kelley FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Kelley FTW.

Amen. Top 10 program in the country. Proud to call myself a student.

And to dc's post: I don't think it's fair to put Notre Dame into the discussion. How many people can get into Notre Dame? A very, very, small fraction of people get accepted to that school. It's not a plausible/likely destination for the average student.

You can't go wrong with Indiana if a big school doesn't bother you. Great college town, beautiful campus, fine education. Of course, in IndyGeezer's son's case: if Michigan is on the table, then you probably have to put Michigan at the top of the list.

We are fortunate in Indiana to have such great schools. Really, if you can't find a school in Indiana, then you are very, very tough to please. You have 2 quennesential big state schools in Indiana and Purdue. A smaller state school in BSU, a pracitcally Ivy Level school in Notre Dame, and the numerous small liberal arts schools (butler, depauw, wabash, evansville, hanover, etc....)

Reading comprehension must not be too important in business school.

J/K, both my parents are Kelley School Grads, great program they've got there.

Reppin the 317

I have been getting college letters from Depauw...seems like a nice school...but costly from what I've heard.

Mood

Well, we're making an official visit there tomorrow (Tuesday). Guess we'll learn more then.

Reading comprehension must not be too important in business school.

J/K, both my parents are Kelley School Grads, great program they've got there.
    Well considering I was replying to the part that says ...

I think that academically Wabash, DePauw, and Notre Dame are by far the best schools in the state
    I'd say my response was right on point.

Geez, Rose-Hulman wants your son and all of your money.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

I got about $86.00 in my wallet right now and da Kid wants NADA to do with engineering. Engineering is too much like real work. He's talking music or law right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsportsfan
    Sure, IU is fun for sports, but a degree from DePauw would, at least when you're talking about liberal arts, hold much more weight in the real world.
    Even though I feel like most of what I've done since graduation is in spite of going to IU, not because of it, that statement just isn't true at all. What's your definition of the real world? Businesses in central Indiana with a sizable amount of Depauw grads working there?