Thread: Hoopsworld Pacer report by Marc Roberts.

Sports Logo

Default Hoopsworld Pacer report by Marc Roberts.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_6960.shtml

The Pacer Report
    By Marc F. Roberts
    for HOOPSWORLD.com
    Jan 26, 2004, 22:59 Email this article
    Printer friendly page

When you take a look at what the Pacers have accomplished up to this point in the season, it is hard not to be impressed. The Pacers currently have the best record in the league at 33-13, and they have already guaranteed that Coach Rick Carlisle will be coaching the Eastern Conference All-Stars. So why is everyone hesitant about getting excited for the playoff push? Probably because of how eerily similar this season is to last season.

We all know last year’s story. The Pacers, an unproven team, led by an unproven coach, surprised everyone by storming out of the gates to a 14-2 record, and coasting their way to the 33-13 mark, producing the top record in the Eastern Conference at the All-Star break, and an All-Star Coach. The Pacers began to be touted as a legitimate title contender, and Pacers fans couldn’t wait for the final push for the playoffs, where they would certainly win the Eastern Conference Championship, and, at the very least, give fits to which ever team came out of the West. That is when the wheels fell off of the cart.

The Pacers went into a freefall for the final 36 games, finishing the season with a record of 15-21, and an embarrassing first round loss at the hands of the Boston Celtics. The “collapse” as it is now known, was blamed mostly on the coaching staff and the personal tragedies of the players. But what about their schedule? Could it be that last year the Pacers were simply a mediocre team who took advantage of a soft opening schedule, only to be crushed when the schedule caught up with them in the end? After examining the evidence it seems more than likely. The Pacers benefited by have the majority of their game in the first half at home, and against Eastern Conference opponents. As you might expect the second half of the schedule was full of road games, many of which were part of extended road swings or back to backs. What does the second half of this year’s schedule hold in store for the Pacers you ask? Lets take a look:

While the Pacers do not have the same problem on the road as they did last year (02-03:16-25; 03-04:16-8) it is nice to know that they have 19 of their final 36 games are at home where are 17-5. It is also quite reassuring to know that their four game road swing during early March is their only road trip left that is longer that two games. That road swing also wipes out four of their five remaining road games versus Western Conference teams. Their last comes March 20th in Memphis. Sounds pretty good, right? It only gets better.

The Pacers have only five back to backs remaining, compared to the 15 they have already played. The Pacers have also played the majority of the their games against the current top 10 teams in the league, putting up a very respectable 10-5 record against those teams. Four of their seven games left against these teams are in Indiana. The most anticipated of these will be February 2nd when the Lakers come to town, and March 19th when the Kings roll into Indy.

Maybe the most notable part of the Pacer’s remaining schedule is the fact that of their final 36 games, only 11 are against teams that currently have a .500 record or better. That’s right, the Pacers have a whopping 25 games left with teams that lose more than they win. Lets say the Pacers finish solid by winning 20 of those 25, and, say, seven of their 11 against teams above .500. That would give the Pacers a record of 60-22, which was good enough for home-court advantage throughout the playoffs last season. With the way some of the top Western Conference teams are playing on the road that may be a huge plus for the Pacers.

Weekly Predictions

Season Total: 29-8
    Last Week: 2-2

vs. Phoenix: The Pacers have dropped two in a row and need to get back to their winning ways. A home game against the last-place Suns with three days rest should do the trick. Pacers by 4.

vs. Boston: Boston has given the Pacers trouble this season, but with the loss of Vin Baker they have absolutely no one to guard Jermaine O’Neal. Pacers by 7.

Default Re: Hoopsworld Pacer report by Marc Roberts.

I love that article.

I love our chances. (At getting the best record in the East & being Eastern Conference Champs)

It's just too bad that we'll have to play an extra game in the first round this year.

The stuff about the schedule is so true. The number of very tough games are few and far between.

Sports Logo

Of course over the last couple of weeks we are better against the better teams than against the lower teams.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He makes a good point about the schedule. Guess who has a similar schedule this year? Sacramento. Could bode well for the Pacers.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

He makes a good point about the schedule. Guess who has a similar schedule this year? Sacramento. Could bode well for the Pacers.
    Can you explain how Sacremento has a similar schedule? The last I checked we had won more road games than they have played.

Indiana 33-13 0.717 H/ 17-5 A/ 16-8 (+11)
    Sacramento 30-12 0.714 W/ 21-3 A/ 9-9 (+6)

Okay, that's close to being right. Regardless, we've got a five game lead on Sacremento although we're now tied with Minnesota. [size=9:25a2deb62a]It just occurred to me that Minnesota now has the best record in the league.[/size]
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Can you explain how Sacremento has a similar schedule?
    I'm guessing he's comparing Sac's schedule this year to the Pacer's schedule last year?
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Minnesota is playing great basketball. Best record and best road record.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I'm guessing he's comparing Sac's schedule this year to the Pacer's schedule last year?
    Yes I was referring to Sacramento's schedule this year compared to the Pacers schedule last year. Sacramento has played 6 more home games than on the road.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Yes I was referring to Sacramento's schedule this year compared to the Pacers schedule last year. Sacramento has played 6 more home games than on the road.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

This really shows that our quality of record is better than some teams, especially Sacramento. I look forward to how we do.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This really shows that our quality of record is better than some teams, especially Sacramento. I look forward to how we do.
    I'm possibly going to the Sacramento game....
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Of course over the last couple of weeks we are better against the better teams than against the lower teams.
    ditto that