Thread: Eagles release 4-time Pro Bowler Trotter in surprise move

Default Eagles release 4-time Pro Bowler Trotter in surprise move

Eagles release 4-time Pro Bowler Trotter in surprise move

y RANDY PENNELL, Associated Press Writer
    August 21, 2007

AP - Aug 21, 4:01 pm EDT

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Jeremiah Trotter, one of the fiery leaders of the Philadelphia Eagles defense for much of the last decade, was released Tuesday in a surprise move that may lead to his retirement.

Trotter, a four-time Pro Bowl selection at middle linebacker in two stints with the team, learned of the decision in a meeting with Eagles coach Andy Reid on Monday night that both men described as emotional.

"It's a tough pill to swallow, but everyone gets to this point in their career at some point or another, and now is my time," the 30-year-old Trotter said at a news conference. "I'm just thankful that I spent this many years in Philadelphia. I truly believe that if you were to cut me, I'd bleed green."

With his hard hits and emotional play, including the ax-swing he would pantomime after big plays, Trotter was a crowd favorite in Philadelphia.

"Jeremiah Trotter will go down as one of the all-time greats in Philadelphia Eagles history," Reid said. "He's a top-notch person."

His release before roster cuts will give Trotter a chance to catch on with another team -- if he doesn't choose to retire.

"This keeps his options open here where he's not officially retired," Reid said. "If he chooses to go to another team, he can. If he choose to retire, he can."

Trotter said he has not yet made a decision.

"I still believe that I have a couple good years left. But, everyone thinks that when it's time to go," he said with a laugh.

This is the second time Trotter has been cut loose by the Eagles, although this time his departure is on much friendlier terms.

Trotter was franchised by the team following the 2003 season and complained about the move. When the Eagles withdrew the tag, he signed with the Redskins and spent two seasons in Washington before patching up his relationship with Reid over the phone and signing a one-year contract in 2004.

After starting that season as a special teams player, Trotter took over as the starting middle linebacker and earned a Pro Bowl spot while helping to lead the Eagles to the Super Bowl, where they lost to the New England Patriots. He had been the starter in the middle ever since.

While Trotter's future is uncertain, the identity of his replacement is not.

Second-year linebacker Omar Gaither had been expected to see increased playing time spelling Trotter, but will instead be the starter.

Gaither credited Trotter's support for making his transition to the starting job easier.

"I think in a lot of places with a lot of people, it could have been completely different," Gaither said.

Safety Brian Dawkins, the longest-serving player on the team, called Trotter's departure a blow.

"This one hit me like a ton of bricks," the safety said. "No matter how many years you play, it's always hard when you lose someone like that, that you've come in contact and gotten so close with."

Yahoo Sports
    Updated on Tuesday, Aug 21, 2007 6:07 pm, EDT
    Hmm I don't know at the right price maybe, The Colts may feel snakebitten after the the whole Simon ordeal. But you never know..

Although like the Colts,the Eagles do tend to know what their doing when releasing some big name Defensive players year after year.
    Last edited by Frank Slade; 08-21-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Why Not Us ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Eagles release 4-time Pro Bowler Trotter in surprise move

we have bad luck bringing aboard former eagles....
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

With his age and lack of crazy speed, he may look very unappealing to a lot of people. BUT, IMO he'd be a very good 1st or 2nd down guy, for running situations to add some beef to our small defense.

That, of course, is why he won't be here. We'd play him as a DT according to his size.

I think it'd be a good move. I think he could be had at a decent price for two reasons; 1.) he's too old and slow to be a premier LB and 2.) most veterans that become free agents look to win a championship, especially those who haven't already.

I'm hoping it happens, but not holding my breath.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's no way they look to pick him up. Too big and slow to go out into coverage with our d-scheme.

For some reason as I'm typing this, the name Rob Morris keeps entering into my head.......

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As an Eagles fan i wasnt too happy when i heard about this, but it makes sense. The guy is a great guy and a great leader. Big problem is that his knees are bone on bone. Constant pain and terrible swelling have kept him from practicing. The Eagles just wouldnt cut him like this. Hes to much of a leader. I hope he ends up retiring so he can retire an Eagle. He said it himself, he bleeds green. Maybe he can pick up a job as an LB coach or something with the organization.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't know about his constant knee problems as I don't pay much attention to injuries outside the Colts. If it's that bad, I hope he does retire or move into coaching, for his sake and reputation.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake