Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Marbury on Vick

Default OT: Marbury on Vick

Up until today, I would not have put this on the Pacers thread. But while driving today I heard Stephon Marbury on the radio defending Michael Vick and stupidly questioning why hunters and packing houses aren't held in the same contempt. This comes on the heals of Falcons Ray Buchanan pretty much parroting the same argument.

Question #1 - are these people just stupid? I can't imagine an agent or PR person not telling their client to stay completely away from this topic. The statements made by these two (and there have been others before them) completely baffle me considering the overwhelming public sentiment on the issue.

Question #2 - Why are the comments coming only from black athletes? Are white athletes (Michelle Tafoya's question to Manning aside) not being asked the question or are they just not commenting?

If I were one of the above athletes agents I would have had a freaking heart attack.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Default Re: OT: Marbury on Vick

marbury comparing it to hunting and meat packing is pretty stupid. idk about all of the athletes they've interviewed. it seems that manning is the only one that i heard an actual comment from. most opinions have come from reporters and anylists that i've seen (but, i'm so tired of the story i stopped paying alot of attention a while ago.)

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question #1 - are these people just stupid?
    Yes

Question #2 - Why are the comments coming only from black athletes?
    Because when you are left with no rational means to defend the abhorrent actions of friend or acqaintance, you fall back to the last resort, playing the race card (if available). When you do that, all of the cameras of course show up.

Maybe you aren't even iNTENDING to play the race card, as least blatantly. The reporter is seeking you out to make a favorable comment, and because of your skin color, and it makes news since the race card is certainly implied.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 08-21-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Dog fighting serves no purpose. At least meat packing feeds people. And hunting, well, it could be pretty savage and useless unless the hunters are using the meat/hide/bones, which many of them do. Meat packing is a terrible comparison, but hunting (a predominantly white sport, mind you), while still a flawed comparison, is not that far off. Is there a double standard? Maybe a slight one.

I am not a hunter. I have never hunted, never been invited to hunt, will never go hunting if I am. I don't own a gun and have no desire to use one, although I might make Starbury an exception. j/k
    or am I?
    Hunting is a sport. I don't care to engage in it, but I'll try to explain from a non-hunter's standpoint why dog fighting and hunting are not even remotely related.

I sometimes watch hunting shows and it always flabbergasts me after the kill to hear something like, "Wow look at that bird." or "What a rack!" There is appreciation for the animal just killed and in most cases the kill is instantaneous, serves conservation, and is regulated. It always seems to me that appreciation should be extended to not killing them, but I'll never win that argument with a hunter I guess.

I have never heard of a hunter hanging a deer until it was dead, or drowning a pheasant, or making two ducks battle it out until one of them was dead. Oh, and let's not forget the wagering. Somebody try to explain to me the "sport" in this. Don't bother, it can't be done. This is way the hell out there past **** (kock) fighting and bull fighting. Sometimes family pets are stolen for training purposes; others are bred to compete under deplorable conditions.

Does this sound like there's a connection to hunting to you?
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I highly recommend catching the latest "Real Sports" on HBO. There was a lengthy report explaining many of the ins and outs of the dog fighting underground.

Be warned, some of the footage is unbearable.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I'd be interested to see how the rest of the world is reacting to this story. I tend to think what Vick did would have been more acceptable anywhere else in the world.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    Because when you are left with no rational means to defend the abhorrent actions of friend or acqaintance, you fall back to the last resort, playing the race card (if available). When you do that, all of the cameras of course show up.

Maybe you aren't even iNTENDING to play the race card, as least blatantly. The reporter is seeking you out to make a favorable comment, and because of your skin color, and it makes news since the race card is certainly implied.
    I try to stay out of any race-related issues, because they're such a hot button, but this is so true. It absolutely sickens me when people unjustifiably use the "race card" to justify acting like an idiot/thug. It almost seems like an immediate reaction these days.

Hunting doesn't seem to be a sport to me. I mean, how does the animal win, by not getting shot? Personally, I don't want to play that game. But in all honesty, I was just playing the devil's advocate. Two of my uncles hunt regularly, and I don't really have a problem with it. They cook the meat (usually venison) and sometimes use the hide - they haven't really discovered any good uses for the bones. Whereas what Vick is accused of is sadistic. I would never defend dog fighting, but I could see where Marbury sees inequity here. He sees a famous black athlete who more or less just got his white coach fired gettin' taken down by the feds for a crime that obviously is nothing new - I mean, he didn't just start dog-fighting; someone must have known about it before now. If Vick is guilty, he's guilty, and it's a crime, no doubt. But it doesn't surprise me that Marbury has his reservations about the whole ordeal, rightfully or wrongfully.

Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03 View Post
    I'd be interested to see how the rest of the world is reacting to this story. I tend to think what Vick did would have been more acceptable anywhere else in the world.
    Not sure where you get that idea from tdubb. I'm from Australia and currently live in Canada. I can tell you right now, Vick would be treated with just as much contempt in these countries.

I can maybe understand your point in regard to some undeveloped countries, but all-in-all I think you'd find most people would be disgusted at Vick's behavior regardless of country of origin.

Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03 View Post
    Well, I heard or saw it once in the news. Not much of a big deal at all, not because of the dog fight, more because of the person involved. If it would have been a noname, germans would have never gotten the news. So its Vick, still almost nobody knows him, like propably most countries where Football ain't that much of a deal! If it would happen to a local sports person or famous dude, he'd be in hells kitchen too.
    Sum up: No news about this one in a lot other countries!

This *particular* story wouldn't make much news overseas (most people don't know who Vick is). But if it was a local or more-known celebrity, it certainly would.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gee, I wonder about those geyhounds they use in Florida for racing. Does't seem to be much difference IMO. I'm sure those people that started the Greyhound Rescue feel about like those adamantly against dogfighting (including yours truely). But because Florid makesso much money off dog racing/wagering the cruelty displayed against the losers was largely overlooked for years. It is only recently that they have done anything to stop the treatment.

I abhor animal cruelty. And I'm a hunter.
    I'd like to suggest reading "Beyond Fair Chase"...it is a small book on ethical hunting.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I appreciate the comments posted but aren't any of you just totally floored that an athlete would even comment on this issue? Particularly comments more or less defending Vick. Seems like professional suicide to me.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I appreciate the comments posted but aren't any of you just totally floored that an athlete would even comment on this issue? Particularly comments more or less defending Vick. Seems like professional suicide to me.
    I am not, I'd like them to comment on it, not everytime, but if they are asked, then I want them to answer, BUT of course not in a defending way. They should say what it is, just pure crap. Other than that, they really need to shut up!

Well it is no news here, heck the ODI's have started and India just won the test series; a ref is suspended for giving a penalty to Chelsea that wasn't a penalty and according to the tabloid the guy's company did the pavement around the house of Chelsea's coach.

On top of that there is always a some other "news"

And as far as hunting goes, the cityfolks and the countryfolks are battling each other, where the city wants them to stop the foxhunt and the country believes it is a right and need.

I can understand the need, but then shoot the bloody fox, instead of having a tea party on horseback while you have a pack of bassets chasing the animal and IF they find it (the dogs), the dogs rip it apart (the fox).

Don't think any of them can complain about dog-fighting.

In other news, all breeds like a pitbull has to wear a muzzle here, shrug...
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Not surprised at all. It was Starbury for goodness sakes. Vick does not have a monopoly on stupidity in professional sports.

BTW, there are some things Starbury does that are quite positive...and I don't expect perfection from the man. However, he is clearly not one of the brightest to lace'em up. Hence his comments on the subject.

All you really need to know about Starbury

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yTjebH2fLU

Just watch it til the end...You'll be happy you did.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

FYI, a lot of hunting is needed for population control.

In Michigan, a certain amount of deer must be hunted every year, or they all starve each other to death.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    All you really need to know about Starbury

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yTjebH2fLU

Just watch it til the end...You'll be happy you did.
    I'm amazed they managed to fit his entire head on camera.

Apparently Zach Randolph can do everything. Dude's the next Magic Johnson.

Also, Stephon Marbury wants to steal a trophy. Just like those kids in Major Payne.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

did he just say he likes to make out with his sister?

oof... I feel a little dumber after watching that video....

I didn't know 12-13 dimes = 4 assists! ha!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

But Geezer it's not dog racing (or horse racing for that matter) that's the issue, it's how the animal is treated in order to get results, or after the fact.

If a dog is found to be beaten or tortured for the sake of racing the person involved is going to catch just as much heat. Saying "it goes on and is covered up because of the money" isn't an excuse, it's the same reason Vick was able to get away with his setup for as long as he was. That confuses two separate issues, just as mixing hunting with abusive hunters would cloud that issue.

Racing can be done in a way that is non-abusive, fighting cannot. Hunting has very legit reasons for existing, one that actually helps maintain the overall health of the natural cycle. Often hunting might actually be countering the effects of humans on nature (creating a balance shift that leads to overpopulation).

There are hunting rules that are also directly setup to avoid cruelty or abusive techniques, such as using feeders or certain types of traps.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are hunting rules that are also directly setup to avoid cruelty or abusive techniques, such as using feeders or certain types of traps.
    IS it illegal to use feeders and traps to catch Laker homers.....

JO would rather rot in Indiana than play with a Jordan-wannabe