Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: "Biggest Loser" PD Edition ... WHO WANTS TO PLAY?

Default Re: "Biggest Loser" PD Edition ... WHO WANTS TO PLAY?

Just lost 3 pounds on the can.

congrats btown.

I set a record in that department too. A "5-flusher".

It's a good thing that it happened at work wher they have the industrial plumbing. The pipes at home might not have handled it.

Here are my anemic efforts so far:

Week 1: 243
    Week 2: 244
    Week 3: 244.8
    Week 4: Did not weigh
    Week 5: 244
    Week 6: 242.2
    Week 7: 241.4

I am sadly only 1.6 down from when I started this thing...but at least I have been headed in the right direction, all be it slowly, the last few weeks. I am usually rock solid for most of the week, but then a couple of bad days kill me. I have been working out on a regular basis for the first time in years though, and although I don't see all of the results on the scales, I am definitely getting stronger, and I feel better.

I will keep cranking, and hopefully I will see some better results. I never thought I would be happy to just get to the 230's, but getting there will be something at least.
    Last edited by brich; 10-11-2007 at 10:09 AM.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

maybe I have finally gotten off an extended "plateau" where I could no longer lose any weight.

start of diet in May: 331
    start of log here at PD last week of August: 298.5
    after week 1: 295.5
    after week 2: 296.5
    after week 3: 293.5
    after week 4: 295
    after week 5: 294
    after week 6: 293.5
    after week 7: 291.5

total lost since May: 39.5 lbs.
    total lost in the last 7 weeks: 7 lbs.

Dang, I need to step it up.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

And my back is still killing me ... hard to lose wieght when you can't exercise much.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I'm at 189 today, down fromt he original 195, which is decent considering how much I've lost. I'm now running 3 miles about 3 times per week, and keeping my calorie intake between 1600-1900 whenever possible.

As for that article on the page before this one, it's got some good information, but it's also got a lot of crap. The truth, which is proven in those studies, is that you can't "starve" yourself skinny. Those diets will always fail, no matter what your genetic makeup, because indeed, your willpower isn't nearly as strong as your instincts. But if you make conscious choices about increasing your intake of fiber, vegetables, fruits, and lean meat, and reducing your intake of empty calories that spike your blood sugar like High Fructose Corn Syrup, potatoes, and Wonder Bread, along with a small amount of exercise, even walking a mile three times per week, you will lose weight. When I started my weight loss, one thing I did that worked pretty well is pretty simple portion control, and I'll describe it in the next paragraph.

The first thing is never wait till you are starving to eat. If you feel yourself getting hungry, go ahead and eat. When you do eat, take about half the portion that you would usually take and eat it. Wait 20 minutes. This is part of the reason you don't want to starve yourself, because it makes that waiting period much tougher. After 20 minutes, your body will have fully realized how much food you put in. If you're comfortable (not stuffed), great, you just cut your calorie intake in half. If you're still a little hungry, go back for 25% more of that meal. Wait another 20 minutes. I can almost guarantee that for most people, this system will work in keeping them feeling satisfied while also reducing their calorie intake. People get fat because they run around all day without eating, then are so starved that they feel like they're going to die, so they stop off at McDonalds because they can't wait to get home. Then, everything looks so good, they have the Big Mac, a fry, and a coke, and all of a sudden, they've eaten 1200 calories in one meal. If you don't drink pop and you put yourself on some portion control, 1200 calories in one sitting is almost impossible at home unless you're eating out of a can of frosting.

The real key, I think, is finding something that works for you. Don't like grapefruit? Don't eat it! But make sure you substitute what you don't like with something you do that is roughly as healthy. Don't substitute the grapefruit for 5 cookies, for instance, eat some grapes instead

I weighed in on Friday, it wasn't pretty. I am at 246, I went back up.

I'm gonna start walking with my wife again this week. She's continuing to drop weight, but I have been hovering and see sawing. I've been cheating too much.

She's dropped over 40 lbs this year. For the year, I'm down about 10. I need to drop about 50.

I have only myself to blame. I've got to get better.

235.8 Week 1
    233.8 Week 2
    232.0 Week 3
    230.0 Week 4
    229.6 Week 5
    224.4 Week 6
    223.2 Week 7
    221.4 Week 8

Only 1.4 pounds away from 220, which will be a big mark for me. I've started to increase my running. I am running 2 miles and walking one mile 3 days a week, and the other days I'm trying to walk a couple of miles, do the bike, or elliptical.

2 sets of 10 at 200 lbs. is also one of my strength goals. I did 1 set of 10 and 1 set of 7 or 8 last week... so getting closer there too. I actually just slid in to some of my larger fitting 38 inch waist pants. I've got to wash them b/c they have such awful hanger marks from sitting in my closet for so long. Just got 2 altered suits back in... feeling good about my progress, but a long way to go yet.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

235.8 Week 1
    233.8 Week 2
    232.0 Week 3
    230.0 Week 4
    229.6 Week 5
    224.4 Week 6
    223.2 Week 7
    221.4 Week 8
    222.8 Week 9

I actually went up about a pound and a half, but I actually felt pretty good about since I tailgated all weekend. I'm not jaded, but even going off the wagon for one little weekend makes it tough to get back in the game.

But... I'm back in! I am now jogging about 25 minutes 3 times a week, and I am hoping to be at 220 Monday.
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

I forgot I weighed in last Friday and forgot to post. I was at 245, so down one lbs from the week before.

I'll weigh in again tomorrow. I know I have no chance at winning this round, but my money is in and I'm still gonna continue to participate.

235.8 Week 1
    233.8 Week 2
    232.0 Week 3
    230.0 Week 4
    229.6 Week 5
    224.4 Week 6
    223.2 Week 7
    221.4 Week 8
    222.8 Week 9
    219.2 Week 10

Well, this is a big week for me. This is the first time I have been under 220 for quite some time, and every pound I lose now I'll truly feel like I'm getting back to where I need to be.

I will ramp up to 30 minutes of jogging on my run days this week, and I need to find a way to get back in the gym for lifting weights. I'm working my day job and working on getting my Real Estate license, so that has kept me pretty busy.
    Reggie Miller

247 on Friday. I need to execrcise. I've done absolutely none in more than a week.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Brichard, your progress line looks a lot like how mine went. Steady, couple of weeks that hovered, sometimes a 5 pound jump in just a few days.

I'm really almost at the end of my run but still sticking with it. I found that as I had some success I wanted to alter my goals for things that were more aggressive than before.

Always getting back on the scale, that's helped keep me honest. Every cheat ends up making me feel guilty and gets me right back on track.

It's low carb and the Jelly Bellies are my enemy. I went up 2 pounds after a binge, not from them but because they (I assume) told my body to store up the fat I'd eaten earlier.

I do keep with the light exercise. Even some pushups in the morning seems to help get the blood going and keep the metabolism up.

About 8.5 months in, from 194 to 158, pushing for a 154 stopping point, though honestly we've been on this eating plan for so long that I don't have much interest in going off. Not sure what exactly I would "cheat" with, other than those JBs.

Eindar, I agree about the portions. For us it's cut since we limit the carbs, and just get sick of the protien/fat. But regardless I rarely want to go back for a 2nd hamburger or piece of chicken. I'll have 2 eggs, a piece of Light Style toast and maybe 3-4 pieces of bacon and feel really full now, almost like I overate. I also have more consistant energy over the long haul.

I do drink a cup of coffee per day which I never used to do, but given the coffee/exercise connection to cancer reduction I don't feel bad about that. That caffeine helps counter the lack of sugar rushes I used to need.

Here's an odd issue - do you keep the "fat" clothes once they don't fit? Seems stupid to throw them out (I kept the thin stuff after all) but it seems negative to acknowledge putting the weight back on too.

246 last week. Not making much progress, but I won't unless I exercise.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Out of mild curiosity, how tall are some of you? If I got to the weight Naptown is at now, I'd be hospitalized for malnutrition. But he's making me feel like a fatty.
    5'9"

And I'm past just being comfortably healthy. My first goal was just 175, but when I got there I just wanted to keep pushing beyond "not chunky" and into "in shape". I have some muscle tone now, but not much. I'm sure if I added more muscle it would push the weight back up as well, so it's all relative. That's some of my hover right now I suspect, lifting adding muscle, diet trying to take it off (along with the fat). I'm just not the guy that's going to be benching 220, more like 180. Lean with some tone rather than monster biceps.

The last few pounds that I just can't quite shake are all on the waist. If I could pull off another 1/4" layer I would actually have some ab definition I think. As it is there are still slight rolls and a little jiggle.

Honestly when I started I never would have felt like I had a chance at sub 170. It helped that my wife and I did it together, and it also helped that it got me on a small but steady eating program instead of starving. I'm sure that helped convince my body that we wouldn't die if it didn't store a ton of fat. You tell your body "more food is coming, don't panic".
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 11-05-2007 at 03:00 PM.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

crap i havent had time to do a weigh in for weeks - overloaded with projects at work...lost any chance for decent meals...been snacking too much...definitely gained some weight....urgh...gotta fix it up....

The dreaded plateau. This is what happens when you eat right but can't exercise, I guess. I live the life I've been handed, I feel healthy despite my injury. Life is good, I'm just down 10 bucks.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by brichard View Post
    235.8 Week 1
    233.8 Week 2
    232.0 Week 3
    230.0 Week 4
    229.6 Week 5
    224.4 Week 6
    223.2 Week 7
    221.4 Week 8
    222.8 Week 9
    219.2 Week 10

Well, this is a big week for me. This is the first time I have been under 220 for quite some time, and every pound I lose now I'll truly feel like I'm getting back to where I need to be.

I will ramp up to 30 minutes of jogging on my run days this week, and I need to find a way to get back in the gym for lifting weights. I'm working my day job and working on getting my Real Estate license, so that has kept me pretty busy.
    Right on, my friend!

233.8 Week 2
    232.0 Week 3
    230.0 Week 4
    229.6 Week 5
    224.4 Week 6
    223.2 Week 7
    221.4 Week 8
    222.8 Week 9
    219.2 Week 10
    218.6 Week 11
    217.8 Week 12

I actually forgot to post last week. I haven't been as "on it" since I hit that 220 milestone, but my goal is to hit 210 by Thanksgiving and 200 by Christmas. I've been nibbling a bit on Halloween candy and gave in to a treat at Janko's steak house last week in Bloomington.

My cardio exercise has been great, and I am running 3 miles about 3-4 times per week. My lifting has been non-existent, but something had to give with my busy schedule. This is my last week of taking Realtor class, so I am hopeful I can get back in a morning routine.

For everybody struggling, I wish I could tell you what got me going this time. About 95% of my attempts to lose weight have come up empty, but my best advice is to keep trying and set some goals. The wait is worth the weight (loss.)
    Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Right on, my friend!

Thanks dude... trying to keep it up.
    Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Here's an odd issue - do you keep the "fat" clothes once they don't fit? Seems stupid to throw them out (I kept the thin stuff after all) but it seems negative to acknowledge putting the weight back on too.

Nap,

I tend to fall on the side of "ditch the clothes," at least those that are the largest. The negative is that if you gain weight you will have to buy new clothes. The positive is that 1.) The pain of buying bigger clothes may enforce your desire to stay at your current size and 2.) There is something about keeping the clothes that says "I'm not sure if this is permanent or not."

Anyway, just my

Congrats on your awesome weight loss... I find it inspirational when others do so well.
    Reggie Miller

I weighed in at 250 this week. I ate WAY too much last week.

I will be waiting with my $10 to go to the winner.

And I'm ready to sign up for the next round if we have one. Maybe I can get going in that one.

255. i didn't give it the effort i wanted but i'm in next time.

250. not bad considering thanksgiving, but i have been sick. oh yeah, it's Monday the 26th!
    Last edited by Erik; 11-26-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Finished higher than what I started.

Ok, who do I send my $10 too?