Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gilbert Arenas "I want to leave how Reggie Miller originally left, thatís how I want to see every player leave."

Default Gilbert Arenas "I want to leave how Reggie Miller originally left, thatís how I want to see every player leave."

http://www.nba.com/blog/gilbert_arenas.html

First Penny, Now Reggie?
    Iím one of the happiest guys around now because my favorite player is coming back to play. I remember John Thompson had an interview with him and asked him, ďDo you think youíre going to play in the NBA again?Ē and he said, ďYes.Ē He was right. My man, Penny Hardaway.
    Thatís my favorite player growing up. In my room I probably had 600 pictures up on my wall and 575 of Ďem were all Penny. Then I had a few Shaq, young Kobe and Iverson ones too.

The funny part is, you know, I collect jerseys and I just found an original Orlando Penny Hardaway jersey. Thereís nothing out there on him. So, Iím having all the other teams he played for -- Phoenix, New York, and now Miami Ė send one of his jerseys to me.

I think he still has something left.

Reggie has some stuff going on too. He just needs to get on that right team. With him, heís not as dominant as he used to be but, he can be that third or fourth option.

Seeing all these guys come back has made me think about whether Iíd ever do the same. The answer? Nope. No. No. No. NO. NO. NO.

I want to leave how Reggie Miller originally left, thatís how I want to see every player leave. I want to say, ďThis is my last year, so the fans can give their last hurrah.Ē And thatís it. I hate how guys want to come back sometimes.

With Reggie, I really liked how he finished that year and walked away from the game. But I guess heís sitting there, analyzing all these games and heís tempted thinking, ďMan, I can go in there and hit a shot!Ē Sometimes, as fans, you just want to see them leave with that last hurrah.
    Received the 1998 J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award

Named an NBA All-Star in 1998

Won the 2002 NBA Sportsmanship Award

Part of the 2003 Spurs Championship Team.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Default Re: Gilbert Arenas "I want to leave how Reggie Miller originally left, thatís how I want to see every player leave."

never thought I'd say this..but Arenas is right!

Default Re: Gilbert Arenas "I want to leave how Reggie Miller originally left, thatís how I want to see every player leave."

Of course Arenas is right. Hibachi!

man say what you want about arenas...but really how can u not like this guy?
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Gilbert is dead on this time and he is the coolest player in the nba

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydawg2270 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gilbert is dead on this time and he is the coolest player in the nba
    I think Turiaf is.

And yup. Gilbert is dead on.

I mean if Reggie comes back, everything he did in the past is ruined.

Well not ruined. But coming back would be the worst thing Reggie could do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I completely agree with Gil.

Normally I think Arenas is a self-centered, spoiled, arrogant jerk (who can play), but I agree with him about Reggie. That is why it was (and is) so important the way Reggie went out. NOBODY goes out like that anymore and that is what distinguished Reggie from everyone else. Now we find out he might be more like the rest than we thought.

That is why I am so upset. That is why he shouldn't come back. I'm not being selfish. He should care enough to preserve the cloud of wonderfulness that is still hanging around Conseco and the rest of the league...Apparently he doesn't. Apparently he cares more about buying a ring on ebay.

That is why his jersey and the rest of my Reggie stuff will not go up on my walls if he comes back. I don't mean until he retires again. I mean EVER.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

For real!!! Nice read

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Arenas isn't the first one to say this. Iverson said it the summer after Reggie retired if I remember correctly.

ďWE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKINGĒ- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

I think he's right as well. Although, I can't say that I'd be completely crushed if Reggie came back to get a ring. What he did here is certainly special, and the way he went out was incredible. I guess for me, I would be able to hold onto those memories and cherish them just as much either way. Reggie is the guy I grew up watching, and the guy who really got me interested in Pacers basketball. To see him work his butt off and leave it all on the floor, but never get a ring is what upsets me. I think he deserves a ring, and if he has to go play with three of my favorite players in Boston to get it, then I will cheer for Reggie.

The biggest problem I have is that there are no guarantees. Reggie could come back, the Celtics could win 65 games, and the Suns would sweep them in the Finals. That's why I'm against him coming back more than anything else. I don't want to see him fail again.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I don't want to see him fail again.
    Sorta like watching the Colts.....until last year, and was that ever soooo
    sweet. If Reggie can add something meaningful and produce some
    Reggie moments then it might be worth it. Ideally he remains retired.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

Don't get me wrong, cause I do NOT think Reggie should come back, but I think Gilbert is looking at it from the standpoint of the lack of succsessful comebacks. Reggie, however probably looks at it as an opportunity to add to his cache. No one in his sport has made a succsessful comeback.
    Protect the Promise!!!!

I dont think Jordan's comeback was a bad one. He wasn't the god of basketball he used to be- but he played very well, was a dangerous player all the time and produced some very nice moments for the Wizards who up until then were the worst team in the league along with Chicago

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    Normally I think Arenas is a self-centered, spoiled, arrogant jerk

Agreed there. If Reggie can still play, and be an above average player in the NBA, who has the right to deny him the right to keep playing while he's still having fun, and getting a crack at another ring? I actually think the whole "this is my last season, give me a parade in every city as I tour" is a pretty lame idea. It screams "attention whore" to me.

Then again, so does the name "Gilbert Arenas."

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Agreed there. If Reggie can still play, and be an above average player in the NBA, who has the right to deny him the right to keep playing while he's still having fun, and getting a crack at another ring? I actually think the whole "this is my last season, give me a parade in every city as I tour" is a pretty lame idea. It screams "attention whore" to me.

Then again, so does the name "Gilbert Arenas."
    More than anything, I think Reggie got called out by Craig Sager from TNT during his last season. He wasn't asking for a parade or a farewell tour, but he finally had to answer the questions because they didn't go away, they intensified.

If Reggie could still play, and be an above average player in the NBA, he shouldn't have walked away two years ago. He should have honored the commitment he made to the Pacers when he signed his last contract. Kinda like the Pacers did to him by swinging off his nuts for a whole farewell tour and ceremony and number retirement ceremony after that, all the while paying him after he retired (especially since his salary counted against the cap anyway).

To me, Reggie's possible comeback screams that he didn't want to put up with the crap of being on the Pacers anymore given the personnel that they had at the time, and he left all of Pacerdom hanging so he could take the easy way out. Don't say, time and time again, that you are broken down, and that you've accomplished what you wanted to do, and blah, blah, blah....Don't leave us all crying like babies, wishing you would play one more year, one more year....and then decide two years after the fact that you conveniently might be able to contribute something to a team with Garnett, Pierce, and Allen. Buy your god*amn ring on ebay and sit around your house in Malibu staring at it....Or maybe MagicRat can photoshop you one from 2000 that says Pacers instead of Lakers....

Whatever you decide to do, the fact that you are considering it at all ****es me off. Please, don't let yourself believe that you owe us anything....After all, it was UNICEF that bought all those playoff tickets, jerseys, and all the other crap that let you earn a huge salary for playing a game...It was really nobody that lived and died by your success and failure; it wasn't like an entire city, state, or fanbase absolutely worshipped you for more than a decade....I can see how that wouldn't make someone feel like they owed anyone anything....

There, my little rant at Reggie is over...None of that was directed at you, Spreedom....

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Agreed there. If Reggie can still play, and be an above average player in the NBA, who has the right to deny him the right to keep playing while he's still having fun
    Well I can think of one person who decided to deny him the right to play anymore.

His name was Reggie Miller, and I believe he had some pretty informed, rational reasons for doing so. I think Reggie now needs to sit down and discuss this with Reggie 2 years ago and see what he has to say.

I'm not anti-Reggie, I'm pro-Reggie circa 2005. This new Reggie thinks that Reggie was wrong about ring chasing and not being able to play at the level he wanted to and all those other reasons for walking away.

Agreed there. If Reggie can still play, and be an above average player in the NBA, who has the right to deny him the right to keep playing while he's still having fun, and getting a crack at another ring?
    No one's saying DENY HIM what he wants. Many are saying it will have a negative impact on how they feel about the man. That's not the same as saying "he has no right". Of course he does have the right. There will be consequences for his actions if he chooses to use those rights. He may not care, but many of us will. No one who disagrees has to give a damn about how we feel, but I will say there will be many of us.

Um, I'd say Jordan's first comeback was pretty successful and Zo won a title 2 years ago, having come back.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    Um, I'd say Jordan's first comeback was pretty successful and Zo won a title 2 years ago, having come back.
    Because Jordan's 2nd comeback was an utter disaster...I mean disappointment, no one remembers the first comeback.

As for Zo's comeback his transplant was 4 years ago. He's 4 1/2 years younger than Reggie so that means he was 8 years younger than Reggie is now.

MJ first retired in the prime of his career. The second time he came back he sure wasn't chasing a ring, he wanted his team to win so bad and felt like he could help them. He wasn't the same MJ but he still had plenty of game left.

Zo never would have retired if he didn't have the transplant. I never considered him retired to be honest.

This isn't about Reggie being able to play. He can still play. He won't be the same old Reggie but he wasn't the same Reggie the last few years of his career. I'm sure he can still play, especially in the 4th. The only question I have is how will his body feel in April, and May? Sure he can do 2 a days for a month and feel good but that is nothing compared to going through an NBA regular season.

I think that it just kind of hurts to see Reggie go play for another team. He was here for 18 years, 18 years! That is a long time he was the face of this franchise. You just don't see that. And the way he went out was so so special. I sometimes watch the video of his last game against Detroit and it gives me chills because there is something about the way everyone in the building reacted, it was special.

It's just hard to imagne Reggie playing for another team because not only due to the length of time he played for the Pacers but because he retired and no one ever thought he would go to another team to chase a ring. I never did anyways. It's just kind of a shock.

Here is the thing I don't get though, San Antonio, Phoenix, Dallas are still better than Boston with Reggie or Boston without Reggie. You can make a case for Chicago and Cleveland being better as well. I don't like Bostons chances for winning the title this year with or without Reggie because I see the teams out West so much better. Everyone knows this so if it is a ring that Reggie really wants then why doesn't he go to San Antonio, Dallas, or Phoenix? All are clearly better than Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    There are distinct differences in these scenarios versus reggie coming back now.
    1. Jordan's first comeback was in his prime. He had won 3 championships essentially having achieved every pinnacle imaginable for a basketball player. So he thought it would be nice to try his luck at baseball. When this didn't work out, he came back to basketball still within his prime and capable of playing at his highest level. Hence the 3 additional rings.

2. Zo never wanted to leave. He was hampered by a debilitating kidney ailment that would have killed him if he kept playing. Who can blame him for coming back when he was finally healthy and able.

One thing to keep in mind. In both of these situations, when the player came back, they came back to the team and city that they originally played for! They came back for reasons of loyalty not just for rings.

During Reggie's last game, when it was clear that the Pacer's were going to lose, Rick used a timeout to give the crowd an oppurtunity to aknowledge the greatest player in Pacer's history. When that time out was over, Larry Brown of the Detroit Pistons used one of his own timeouts to keep that moment alive and show that Reggie was not only loved and respected by Indiana fans but by all of basketball. The result was one of the most poignent and touching scenes I can remember in the recent history of this game. indeed, these moments are a rarity among sports in general, saved for the very best and loyal of players (I think of Cal Ripken as a perfect example.) If he comes back, that moment becomes insignificant. Do we give him another standing O when he retires again?

I think this is the heart of what Arenas was saying. Every athlete would dream of leaving on the same note that Reggie did. Why waste it?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndySDExport View Post
    One thing to keep in mind. In both of these situations, when the player came back, they came back to the team and city that they originally played for! They came back for reasons of loyalty not just for rings.
    Umm no......

Zo signed with NJ, when he knew he was sick. He was being paid by them while he was out. through their insurance. When he got healthy and could return to playing, he DEMANDED a trade. They traded him to Toronto, who he also refused to play for, and they cut him. He then went back and signed with Miami.

That's the biggest reason why you'll never see me offer anything positive for the man. I detest what he did, and how he did it. He should have been thankful to be alive, and not out *****ing because he didn't want to play for a team who stood beside him during his ordeal.

Zo got his cake and ate it too, multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Umm no......

Zo signed with NJ, when he knew he was sick. He was being paid by them while he was out. through their insurance. When he got healthy and could return to playing, he DEMANDED a trade. They traded him to Toronto, who he also refused to play for, and they cut him. He then went back and signed with Miami.

That's the biggest reason why you'll never see me offer anything positive for the man. I detest what he did, and how he did it. He should have been thankful to be alive, and not out *****ing because he didn't want to play for a team who stood beside him during his ordeal.

Zo got his cake and ate it too, multiple times.
    Yeah, I thought he was an *** before that, but that certainly clinched his assness for me...

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    If Reggie could still play, and be an above average player in the NBA, he shouldn't have walked away two years ago. He should have honored the commitment he made to the Pacers when he signed his last contract. Kinda like the Pacers did to him by swinging off his nuts for a whole farewell tour and ceremony and number retirement ceremony after that, all the while paying him after he retired (especially since his salary counted against the cap anyway).

To me, Reggie's possible comeback screams that he didn't want to put up with the crap of being on the Pacers anymore given the personnel that they had at the time, and he left all of Pacerdom hanging so he could take the easy way out. Don't say, time and time again, that you are broken down, and that you've accomplished what you wanted to do, and blah, blah, blah....Don't leave us all crying like babies, wishing you would play one more year, one more year....and then decide two years after the fact that you conveniently might be able to contribute something to a team with Garnett, Pierce, and Allen. Buy your god*amn ring on ebay and sit around your house in Malibu staring at it....Or maybe MagicRat can photoshop you one from 2000 that says Pacers instead of Lakers....
    QFET