Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 101 to 124 of 124

Thread: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

  1. #101
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    An alternative...

    Where's my "What Would Kegboy Do?" wristband?

  2. #102
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4) Reggie may very well flop in Boston. A big part of his success here is attributed to the fact that the offense was designed around him. That's why he struggled so much when he and JO were on the floor together, because the offense was then primarily based around JO.
    This is true. Who's setting these double screens for Reggie to curl off of, KG and Pierce because they've got nothing better to do? Reggie was almost never a spot-up guy which is part of why his shots seemed so amazing and why he often STRUGGLED in the 3pt contests instead of winning them by a mile like you'd expect him to.

    Hodges did have one point in his crazy rant to Alipour, he was a true stand and wait to hit a 3 type of shooter, and Reggie wasn't. Reggie was never Hodges or Kerr. To me shooters have comfort zones, moves and positions that flow right into their shot. Maybe on a break where Reggie runs to a spot and "spots up" quickly he can do a version of it, but mostly that's just not his game.

  3. #103
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,748

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    I just have one thing to tell Reggie: Reggie, on the real, last time I saw you hoopin' on the NBA level, you got your motherf----- shot blocked on a breakaway layup that you (didn't) dunk.

    So yeah.

  4. #104
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    StL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,715

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is true. Who's setting these double screens for Reggie to curl off of, KG and Pierce because they've got nothing better to do?
    i can't see another reason for big baby and powe to be on the celtics other than setting screens for the rest of the team. perkins too, kinda.
    This is the darkest timeline.

  5. #105
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    dismiss his desire to achieve the ultimate goal.
    Reggie's ULTIMATE goal is to ride the bench most nights while 3 other players win him a ring?

    Pretty crap goal for a guy who already did the 25 in the 4th and hit the game winner over Jordan to push Mike to his only game 7 ever. People keep talking about this ring he MIGHT get like it's going to be 2000 all over again. It won't. It will be Glenn Robinson getting a ring with the Spurs.

    Hands up, who thinks Robinson getting a ring, or Payton getting a ring even, are better than the best things Reggie did. Please, I want to hear this argument from anyone, prove to me that Gary Payton's Miami Heat ring is BETTER than Reggie's 8 in 8.9, that you consider what Payton did specifically that year only better than what Reggie did in 94, 95, 98...heck, even what Reggie did in the brawl year or vs the Nets before that or in 2000.

    Maybe more appropriately, who here can defend Stephen Jackson having a better moment than Reggie. Does ANYONE look at Jackson and see his ring as some proof that he was greater than Reggie or experienced something greater than Reggie did? And he was actually deeply involved in that Spurs win. Still didn't stop Pacers fans from hating him. So just what exactly is the value of these rings really? They certainly don't barter for fan support around these parts.


    Reggie's already done far more impressive things than latch onto a ring bandwagon that might not even make it all the way. As Kenny Rogers sang "you gotta know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away..." Or as Constanza once learned "always leave 'em wanting more".


    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i can't see another reason for big baby and powe to be on the celtics other than setting screens for the rest of the team. perkins too, kinda.
    But they were there before Reggie, and obviously before KG. KG is getting 40 mpg right off, and that's going to be a ton of touches. Ray is getting a ton of touches, Pierce is getting a ton of touches. None of those involve Reggie curling with the ball out at the PG.

    It almost never will be Perkins and Powe on the court together.

    Look even if it was Indy rather than the evil Celtics I'd still think this was a quesitonable idea (I mean if the Pacers had the big 3).


    What does Reggie give up if he returns in an ADMITTED attempt to get on a ring bandwagon? Only the verification and validation that you don't have to win it all to be the hero and a star, that if you come up big over and over and leave it all out there it's enough, that while the TEAM goal is to win it all it doesn't mean that an invidual without a ring has less value.


    When we argue FOR REGGIE to be in the HOF the first thing the detractors say is "no ring". Okay, so we come up with all these points about how that doesn't matter and that a ring doesn't validate your career, unless perhaps it's as one of the main parts of the team that wins it all, and that a guy who was great but didn't win is still great.

    Then Reggie comes along and says "now that I think about it all that stuff is wrong, not having a ring IS a big void and should be counted against my career."

    You defend Reggie using actions to say just that, but would you take that from a Pistons fans saying Reggie didn't deserve the HOF because he never won a ring? I thought getting a ring had little to do with what Reggie was, but now according to Reggie it had plenty to do with who he wasn't.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 08-17-2007 at 04:39 PM.

  6. #106

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Naptown,

    I don't mean to say this in a bad way, but it isn't really about you. It isn't about me either. We have no idea why Reggie wants the ring, if he decides to go for it. Perhaps he just wants the thrill of competition, and while he's at it, he can go for a championship.

    It isn't about what the fans think of Stephen Jackson or Reggie, it is what Reggie thinks of Reggie. I guarantee Stephen Jackson has experienced a state of Euphoria well beyond hitting a buzzer beater. The ring is the Holy Grail in the quest for an NBA player. People take lesser roles all the time to get a chance to win one.

    Who are we to judge them for whatever their reasons are?

    If Reggie fails and "stays too long," then I will be there to support him like I always have. If he wins... good for him.
    "When you can fall for chains of silver you can fall for chains of gold
    You can fall for pretty strangers and the promises they hold
    You promised me everything you promised me thick and thin
    Now you just say oh romeo yeah you know I used to have a scene with him" Dire Straits

  7. #107
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    14,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    He has one shot with a team trying to win it for the 1st time. In all likelihood they will fail. Therefore he will have lost in that one shot and no longer have that legacy he was so proud of. OK, if he's willing to risk that then so be it. But he will just be another Celtic IMPO and he will have lost the identity of Mr Pacer. I say it for Artest, Brad Miller etc....they're gone, forget em. Well, if he goes to another team...he's gone, forget him.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

  8. #108
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by brichard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who are we to judge them for whatever their reasons are?
    As I just said in the Gilbert thread, it isn't about any of us. It's about Reggie 2005 knowing it was time to walk away, knowing that ring chasing wasn't for him. You act like when I say those same reasons I'm some selfish a'hole. I'm not, I'm just representing a view that REGGIE HAD TOO.

    Maybe some of you guys are the ones against Reggie. You're the ones saying to that version of Reggie, the one that knocked Karl Malone for ring chasing, that he's wrong. Reggie says "I'm done, I don't like ring chasing, I can't be the player I want to be anymore, time to step aside for the younger guys" and YOUR response is "you are wrong, you need to join whatever contender is out there and hang on as long as possible till you get a ring".

    The reason people are upset is because REGGIE (not me) represented one ideal, and now this new guy is crapping all over all those stances, all those years of sticking with it and avoiding ring chasing and being Mr. Pacer. That's 18 years of work.

    To me the selfish one is this new Reggie that looks at that old Reggie and says "yeah, one team, rings aren't all there is, alll that dedication...what's it to me, I WANT MY RING, this is about ME".

    If this new Reggie was another person and was going to affect Reggie's career like this for money or something selfish, who would approve of that? No one. Well he's about to do it to himself, something that if it were an outside party we would be upset about. To me it's about as different as murder vs suicide. You don't go "well if you are doing it to yourself then great, your choice". At least I hope that's not how you'd work the hotline.

    We are saying "hold on, think about all that effort, step away from the ledge and get rational for a second, you had some GOOD REASONS for retiring when you did, you weren't insane at the time".

  9. #109
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure he's thinking "If Michael Jordan can play for another team AFTER winning championships and not tarnish his legacy, I can do it since I haven't won one. "
    I do think Jordan tarnished his image. Just hard for me to imagine the magnitude of the trade-off for Reggie. It's not in his favor.

    I agree with a lot of sentiment on this board but probably more closely with Naptown Seth's posts.

    I hope it doesn't happen.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  10. #110

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I just said in the Gilbert thread, it isn't about any of us. It's about Reggie 2005 knowing it was time to walk away, knowing that ring chasing wasn't for him. You act like when I say those same reasons I'm some selfish a'hole. I'm not, I'm just representing a view that REGGIE HAD TOO.

    Maybe some of you guys are the ones against Reggie. You're the ones saying to that version of Reggie, the one that knocked Karl Malone for ring chasing, that he's wrong. Reggie says "I'm done, I don't like ring chasing, I can't be the player I want to be anymore, time to step aside for the younger guys" and YOUR response is "you are wrong, you need to join whatever contender is out there and hang on as long as possible till you get a ring".

    The reason people are upset is because REGGIE (not me) represented one ideal, and now this new guy is crapping all over all those stances, all those years of sticking with it and avoiding ring chasing and being Mr. Pacer. That's 18 years of work.

    To me the selfish one is this new Reggie that looks at that old Reggie and says "yeah, one team, rings aren't all there is, alll that dedication...what's it to me, I WANT MY RING, this is about ME".

    If this new Reggie was another person and was going to affect Reggie's career like this for money or something selfish, who would approve of that? No one. Well he's about to do it to himself, something that if it were an outside party we would be upset about. To me it's about as different as murder vs suicide. You don't go "well if you are doing it to yourself then great, your choice". At least I hope that's not how you'd work the hotline.

    We are saying "hold on, think about all that effort, step away from the ledge and get rational for a second, you had some GOOD REASONS for retiring when you did, you weren't insane at the time".
    I'm not calling you anything Nap. I do stand by the thought that those who don't want Reggie to try with the Celtics have motives that are selfish in conception, but I don't see how they couldn't be. You basically are listing all the reasons he shouldn't retire and most of them point to how you will personally feel if he sells his soul to the devil and plays for the Celtics.

    I don't recall advocating what Reggie is doing, but I am simply supporting his ability to make a decision on his own. He is the one that has to wake up and decide if he left too early or stayed too long. He is the only one that has to look in the mirror and make that call. And if you feel he is really going to sour that, you've got a right to state what you believe. I'm quite sure he is counting the costs and weighing the potential scar on his legacy.

    And obviously these things affect folks differently. It doesn't make any of us right or wrong per se, but we all are entitled to our opinions of how we judge him.

    I know some people who hang on to an employee too long. They should have promoted him, but they know what a void will be left when that person leaves. I've never been that way. If people leave me and they have a better opportunity... I wish them well. And if they go to the competition, regret it, and want to come back... I'll take 'em every time. I just want the best for people I come into contact with. And I'll say it again... I want the best for Reg. If that means not playing or playing, I hope he scratches whatever itch he's got. He certainly doesn't have to answer to me.

    Even as much as Dale has jumped teams, I'd lie to you if I said there wasn't a fondness in my heart for him, AD, etc. I know these things are emotional to us or we wouldn't go to this board so frequently. I just truly wish the best to him and as long as he does not go on some public rant about how he hates this team and this city, I will always support Reggie Miller.
    "When you can fall for chains of silver you can fall for chains of gold
    You can fall for pretty strangers and the promises they hold
    You promised me everything you promised me thick and thin
    Now you just say oh romeo yeah you know I used to have a scene with him" Dire Straits

  11. #111
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,128

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do think Jordan tarnished his image. Just hard for me to imagine the magnitude of the trade-off for Reggie. It's not in his favor.

    I agree with a lot of sentiment on this board but probably more closely with Naptown Seth's posts.

    I hope it doesn't happen.
    Well - and I'm completely against Reggie coming back - you'd have to point out the differences in their games. Reggie didn't rely on athleticism as much as Michael did. Plus, Reggie needs to take enough shots away from Ray Allen to prevent him from breaking the 3pt record, which I think is going to be saved thanks to this Celtic team. Ray Allen will no longer be the only option - he'll probably get less looks than he's used to from three. Also, if the Celtics win a championship, he'll be all the much more likely to retire earlier than Uncle Reggie.

  12. #112
    Will it ever stop? pacers31tc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    30
    Posts
    191
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    My 2 cents:

    Winning a championships is great. Pretty much every player wants to hold that trophy, but in reality, only a few players do. There are so many good and great players that haven't won a championship just b/c it's only won once a year. I don't think it tarnishes anything to not win a champ.

    Chasing a ring and taking a small role on a team you have no connection to definitely tarnishes something about the former career. And seriously, would that ring means as much when you're the 4th person to touch the trophy? After KG, PP, and future Reggie 3-point record breaker Ray Allen? SURELY not.

    One more thing, I'm almost positive Boston will not win the Finals this year, and maybe even the next. If Reggie does this and DOESN'T win a ring, then there's no question that it wasn't worth it.
    The NBA ... it's fannnnnnnnn-tastic! I LOVE this game!

  13. #113
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,623

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    It is (IMO) not a question of "worth" or "right", to me they don't come into anything here, what peeves me is that he on several occassion stated that he would never do what several othes did "chase a ring"
    He said these things on tv, on radio and in interviews in the printed press.
    He took the high road on being with one team all his career, about being Mr. Pacers.

    and all of a sudden that changes?

    moral fiber is what it boils down to, and how anyone can say that such a transformation would not hurt his legacy then I emplore you to think again.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  14. #114
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,497

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Here's how I see it...

    Yes, this would hurt Reggie's legacy as an Indiana Pacer. No matter how it turns out, it would take away from his connection to the Pacers.

    I don't care what Reggie said in the past about chasing a ring because each circumstance is different. Plus, the man has a right to change his mind. Particularly when he's had the ability to see things from a different point of view these past couple of years.

    Ego. I doubt Reggie thinks he would be riding the pine and watching from the sidelines. I imagine Ainge has given him some idea of what they optimally expect from him. There's nothing wrong with ego per se', altho you have to be careful when letting it dictate your direction. Ego can lie to you. Especially, an older athlete. OTOH, Reggie was always in great shape. He seems to have kept himself in good shape these past couple of years. It's not like he needs to diet or reinvent himself for this comeback attempt. Going in and knowing he's going to be coming off the bench with limited minutes certainly increases the chances for success (while not ignoring the fact that his age creates question marks galore (but-see: ego)).

    I think it's a real possibility Reggie could be effective in the role the Celtics have for him. We know he's a good teammate and we know he's coachable (won't be butting heads with the coaching staff). Assuming Reggie and the Celtics are on the same page about the role they'd have for him, that shouldn't change. Also, as much as Pacer fans have talked about needing a veteran influence in OUR lockerroom, what about this for the Celtics? Reggie gives them a guy who brings a LOT to the table in that regard. He's been a playoff winner. He's snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. He's been to the Finals. He's dealt with good teammates and he's dealt with bad ones. Reggie's presence in that regard could do a lot to help the chemistry of the Celtics come together quickly. Even IF that was Reggie's real role on the team, it's an important part of the T.E.A.M..

    Championship. The NBA has changed. The Pacers may operate like it hasn't but that doesn't mean the rest of the teams do. The Celtics have put together a viable contender (on paper). If Reggie can be a glue guy... experience... someone to pull these guys together.... He theoretically could even be the missing piece of the puzzle just for that reason alone. Just that could help their chances of going deep, if not winning this year. And I'm a firm believer that those steps matter. Once you have a team that knows how to win and to get 'there', then you have a team that will be hard to beat the next year.

    Reggie's Career Legacy. His career legacy is only in jeopardy at all if he makes a fool of himself. It isn't automatically hurt just because he unretired and became a Celtic. In fact, it could be furthered. As long as he's a solid teammate who contributes in some way to the success of the team, then this is a net gain for his NBA legacy. How much is yet to be seen. Sure, it's a risk because he could falter BUT it's not like he'll be expected to be the savior and #1 option.

    I wish him luck. I'd prefer he simply stay retired and be a Pacer for life BUT -It is his life-. If he feels he can contribute in someway to a championship team, more power to him. Yes, it hurts to think "Mr Pacer" is leaving us and the memories behind to help the dreaded Celtics... but then the Celtics took it upon themselves to build a contender 'right now', not sign Travis Diener and Kareem Rush, hire a new coach, and then call it 'done'. They made it interesting enough to get Reggie's attention.

    If anyone deserves a ring, it is Reggie Miller. ....IMHO...

    -Bball
    Last edited by Bball; 08-19-2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typo
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  15. #115

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is (IMO) not a question of "worth" or "right", to me they don't come into anything here, what peeves me is that he on several occassion stated that he would never do what several othes did "chase a ring"
    He said these things on tv, on radio and in interviews in the printed press.
    He took the high road on being with one team all his career, about being Mr. Pacers.

    and all of a sudden that changes?

    moral fiber is what it boils down to, and how anyone can say that such a transformation would not hurt his legacy then I emplore you to think again.
    First of all- I don't want Reggie to become a Celtic

    But- all this talk of right or wrong, black or white, good or bad / is really inappropriate to me. Reggie said this and that.....so what? The man's not on trial here- he's not a Communist spy who just got caught , people have the right to change their minds and his opinion may have also changed. It doesn't make him a hypocrite to me- both options are legitimate. He was promised 15 mps on that Celtics team- and Reg has been known to accomplish amazing feats in a much smaller window of opportunity than that...15 mps is not just "tagging along for the ride"- it all depends on what he can do with that playing time- he can make miracles in 15 min. I don't think he would even consider it unless he was promised an important role on the team.
    Was Robert Horry not a major part of LA's championship year when they beat SAC in 7 games? Is anyone who saw that game winning shot in Webber's face () ever going to forget it?
    Isn't Reggie able to at least do the same?
    Besides, even if he were to be asked to fill the biggest offensive role on that team, playing 35mpg- will it make us feel better?

    I want him to stay retired too but are we so petty to dismiss his accomplishments in Indy because the man still wants to be part of a championship team? The man played in Pacer uniform for 18 years (and he's not even an Indiana native), and I'm sure he was offered some very tempting offers along the way. Does that mean nothing anymore? He's already proven his loyalty for this franchise- we can't offer him the same situation BOS can right now. If we were a contender right now and he would have agreed to return to Indy instead of BOS- would you guys still be questioning his integrity???

    I'm not the first to post this, but Reggie has nobody to answer to except himself- I certainly would not feel betrayed if he did decide to return- though I would definitely prefer if he didn't.

    We can be upset to see him play for another team but I don't think we have the right to make a villain out of him- because he's clearly not. I still wish him luck in all his games except 4 and would gladly watch him play again.

  16. #116

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's how I see it...

    Yes, this would hurt Reggie's legacy as an Indiana Pacer. No matter how it turns out, it would take away from his connection to the Pacers.

    I don't care what Reggie said in the past about chasing a ring because each circumstance is different. Plus, the man has a right to change his mind. Particularly when he's had the ability to see things from a different point of view these past couple of years.

    Ego. I doubt Reggie thinks he would be riding the pine and watching from the sidelines. I imagine Ainge has given him some idea of what they optimally expect from him. There's nothing wrong with ego per se', altho you have to be careful when letting it dictate your direction. Ego can lie to you. Especially, an older athlete. OTOH, Reggie was always in great shape. He seems to have kept himself in good shape these past couple of years. It's not like he needs to diet or reinvent himself for this comeback attempt. Going in and knowing he's going to be coming off the bench with limited minutes certainly increases the chances for success (while not ignoring the fact that his age creates question marks galore (but-see: ego)).

    I think it's a real possibility Reggie could be effective in the role the Celtics have for him. We know he's a good teammate and we know he's coachable (won't be butting heads with the coaching staff). Assuming Reggie and the Celtics are on the same page about the role they'd have for him, that shouldn't change. Also, as much as Pacer fans have talked about needing a veteran influence in OUR lockerroom, what about this for the Celtics? Reggie gives them a guy who brings a LOT to the table in that regard. He's been a playoff winner. He's snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. He's been to the Finals. He's dealt with good teammates and he's dealt with bad ones. Reggie's presence in that regard could do a lot to help the chemistry of the Celtics come together quickly. Even IF that was Reggie's real role on the team, it's an important part of the T.E.A.M..

    Championship. The NBA has changed. The Pacers may operate like it hasn't but that doesn't mean the rest of the teams do. The Celtics have put together a viable contender (on paper). If Reggie can be a glue guy... experience... someone to pull these guys together.... He theoretically could even be the missing piece of the puzzle just for that reason alone. Just that could help their chances of going deep, if not winning this year. And I'm a firm believer that those steps matter. Once you have a team that knows how to win and to get 'there', then you have a team that will be hard to beat the next year.

    Reggie's Career Legacy. His career legacy is only in jeopardy at all if he makes a fool of himself. It isn't automatically hurt just because he unretired and became a Celtic. In fact, it could be furthered. As long as he's a solid teammate who contributes in some way to the success of the team, then this is a net gain for his NBA legacy. How much is yet to be seen. Sure, it's a risk because he could falter BUT it's not like he'll be expected to be the savior and #1 option.

    I wish him luck. I'd prefer he simply stay retired and be a Pacer for life BUT -It his life-. If he feels he can contribute in someway to a championship team, more power to him. Yes, it hurts to think "Mr Pacer" is leaving us and the memories behind to help the dreaded Celtics... but then the Celtics took it upon themselves to build a contender 'right now', not sign Travis Diener and Kareem Rush, hire a new coach, and then call it 'done'. They made it interesting enough to get Reggie's attention.

    If anyone deserves a ring, it is Reggie Miller. ....IMHO...

    -Bball
    Beat me to half my post

  17. #117
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,337

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    I'm inclined to acknowledge the valid points Bball and DgR have made. I don't like acknowledging them because it makes me admit that there could be valid reasons for Reggie to return. I don't want that to be true, but both of you made pretty eloquent arguments.

    My mood is changing from suicidal/homicidal to "mildly accepting" about a possible Reggie return.



    RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

  18. #118

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Great post Bball... well said.
    "When you can fall for chains of silver you can fall for chains of gold
    You can fall for pretty strangers and the promises they hold
    You promised me everything you promised me thick and thin
    Now you just say oh romeo yeah you know I used to have a scene with him" Dire Straits

  19. #119
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,681

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but then the Celtics took it upon themselves to build a contender 'right now', not sign Travis Diener and Kareem Rush, hire a new coach, and then call it 'done'. They made it interesting enough to get Reggie's attention
    Too bad for Boston fans the Celtics took it upon themselves to pretty much suck for the last 15 years.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  20. #120
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too bad for Boston fans the Celtics took it upon themselves to pretty much suck for the last 15 years.......
    Because Larry Bird and Kevin McHale were retired they had to wait for Reggie to retire so he could walk through those doors.

  21. #121
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    I'm not calling you anything Nap. I do stand by the thought that those who don't want Reggie to try with the Celtics have motives that are selfish in conception, but I don't see how they couldn't be. You basically are listing all the reasons he shouldn't retire and most of them point to how you will personally feel if he sells his soul to the devil and plays for the Celtics.
    I don't think you realize that this is the #1 factor in play here anyway. This is pro sports where POPULARITY and PAYCHECKS are driven 100% by FANS.

    If the fans don't like you as a person you don't sell, if they hate your Rio incident you get boo'd and traded. If you don't meet your contract expectations they rip into you like JO, Troy or Saras get/got.

    If you go out on top they pack the arena for your jersey raising, they request a statue of you in front of Conseco, they line up to see you wherever you go. You get MONEY from that fan support, you get fame from that fan support.

    If you take the fans out of the equation Reggie is playing for free in his backyard. No Conseco Fieldhouse, no Pacers, no nice home or nice car, no tip money for trips to the Gold Club, no parties after games with expensive champagne.

    This is exactly the same as an actor who does great work, builds a following based on his integrity and effort, and then starts doing hack paycheck crap. Who's to tell him not to earn money? No one. But that money exists because of the fanbase he WORKED HARD TO EARN. Crapping on what they like about him undermines that.

    Reggie hurts himself by going against his OWN IMAGE. Not my image, his. And that image exists only in the eyes of fans.


    Just who do you think are his biggest supporters for HOF entry? Or his role with TNT? Celtics fans? Please. His job is PUBLIC FIGURE and that means his career and livelihood are affected by what the public thinks of him.

    Reggie has a moment that almost no one can take away from him, that final game of his career. He has several in fact with the jersey night and April 20th as well. Almost no one, but there is one person that can tarnish those nights and that's Reggie.

    Is MAYBE getting a ring as a sideshow on a team with 3 clearly much more important players going to be worth more to him with fans and in his own heart than going out the way he originally did? To me as a risk vs reward equation it doesn't seem to be in his favor.

    If it was 80% that he'd get a ring where he was a central part of the process then maybe I can see it, but I think the math is a lot worse than that. His involvement seems on paper to be extremely limited and the Celtics chances to beat the best of the West seem well below 50%, and that's with at best a 50-60% chance of even getting out of the East.


    And honestly as a fan of Reggie I'm also offering the same friendly advice that Mel Daniels was - don't do it, YOU will regret it. Not me, but Reggie.

    You've never told a friend not to do something that you thought they'd regret? Was that you bossing them around or was that you looking out for their best interest?
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 08-21-2007 at 02:03 PM.

  22. #122
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    "But I'm not going to let this year ruin 17 others that have been fantastic. Another thing, this isn't a death sentence. We're still in the playoffs and we still can beat a lot of other teams if we play the right way."


    He said his decision is final.


    "I have a few projects in the works, but right now we have 33 games left and that's my focus," Miller said. "There's no Michael Jordan thing going on, nothing like that."
    "It is so easy to get traded or become a free agent and force a sign and trade nowadays that when you see guys like Reggie and Stockton and people like that making a steadfast commitment to a franchise, there is a special meaning there," Carlisle said.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1988963

    Miller considers the fact he has played his entire career -- 18 seasons -- with one franchise as one of his prouder accomplishments. John Stockton, who played 19 seasons with Utah, is the only player in NBA history who has played longer for only one franchise.
    Miller, who turns 40 in August, has said in recent years that he didn't plan to play past the age of 40, and said before this season began that this probably would be his final season.
    http://www2.indystar.com/articles/7/...-2477-179.html

  23. #123
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Side note - just heard from the wife that Reggie was up by the Monon shooting ball with another Pacer and someone else today. She didn't recall who other people said the other guys were exactly.

    This has zero bearing on any of this discussion, but at least he's in Indy rather than MA.

    Naturally I wish I'd been there to go with the old "say it ain't so, Joe".

  24. #124
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think you realize that this is the #1 factor in play here anyway. This is pro sports where POPULARITY and PAYCHECKS are driven 100% by FANS.

    If the fans don't like you as a person you don't sell, if they hate your Rio incident you get boo'd and traded. If you don't meet your contract expectations they rip into you like JO, Troy or Saras get/got.

    If you go out on top they pack the arena for your jersey raising, they request a statue of you in front of Conseco, they line up to see you wherever you go. You get MONEY from that fan support, you get fame from that fan support.

    If you take the fans out of the equation Reggie is playing for free in his backyard. No Conseco Fieldhouse, no Pacers, no nice home or nice car, no tip money for trips to the Gold Club, no parties after games with expensive champagne.

    This is exactly the same as an actor who does great work, builds a following based on his integrity and effort, and then starts doing hack paycheck crap. Who's to tell him not to earn money? No one. But that money exists because of the fanbase he WORKED HARD TO EARN. Crapping on what they like about him undermines that.

    Reggie hurts himself by going against his OWN IMAGE. Not my image, his. And that image exists only in the eyes of fans.


    Just who do you think are his biggest supporters for HOF entry? Or his role with TNT? Celtics fans? Please. His job is PUBLIC FIGURE and that means his career and livelihood are affected by what the public thinks of him.

    Reggie has a moment that almost no one can take away from him, that final game of his career. He has several in fact with the jersey night and April 20th as well. Almost no one, but there is one person that can tarnish those nights and that's Reggie.

    Is MAYBE getting a ring as a sideshow on a team with 3 clearly much more important players going to be worth more to him with fans and in his own heart than going out the way he originally did? To me as a risk vs reward equation it doesn't seem to be in his favor.

    If it was 80% that he'd get a ring where he was a central part of the process then maybe I can see it, but I think the math is a lot worse than that. His involvement seems on paper to be extremely limited and the Celtics chances to beat the best of the West seem well below 50%, and that's with at best a 50-60% chance of even getting out of the East.


    And honestly as a fan of Reggie I'm also offering the same friendly advice that Mel Daniels was - don't do it, YOU will regret it. Not me, but Reggie.

    You've never told a friend not to do something that you thought they'd regret? Was that you bossing them around or was that you looking out for their best interest?
    Well...This is the best post I've seen expressing the "Say it aint so" mentality on this whole ordeal.

    Playing for the Cs still wouldn't tarnish a single thing about his legacy to me or change the mentality he had at the time leading up to his last game in a Pacer uniform a single bit whatsoever, but this at least makes more sense to me than the "Go **** yourself if you do it, Reggie, you ******* backstabber" rants that came out in the initial days of the report.

    To me those memories are those memories. Reggie isn't a superhero and I haven't thought him to be one since I was 16 years old or so. He's a dude. A dude who changes his mind just like the rest of us. A dude who says something at the time and then doesn't follow that steadfastly for the rest of his life like the rest of us. He's just a dude, is all. No different than the dude he was in 1998.

    Regardless of what he does, my memories won't change. I've just thought of him as another dude for a while now, and I've heard him be socially awkward and generally horrible on Inside the NBA for a while now. And, just like finding out Santa Claus was really my parents and not some bearded chubby grampa that could fly at the speed of light hasn't tarnished the memory of my Christmas morning when I was seven years old, finding out that Reggie may do something that he once told a reporter he didn't approve three years later isn't gonna tarnish my memory of the Jordan push-off or the Larry Brown time-out.

    Those things happened, I watched them and they were real...no matter what happens in the future.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 08-21-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 01:42 AM
  2. Reggie Miller called into the Dan Patrick show yesterday
    By pacerwaala in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2005, 12:31 PM
  3. Reggie Miller coming up on Dan Patrick Show 9/29
    By Reggie4Three in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 02:43 PM
  4. Reggie interviewed on Dan Patrick show today.....
    By MagicRat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 10:55 PM
  5. Reggie was on the Dan Patrick show today, ESPN radio
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •