Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 124

Thread: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

  1. #76
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by brichard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know in our utter grip of fandom it is hard to look at things rationally, but let's try this on for size.

    Reggie retired in sincerity intending to never come back to the game.

    A few years later, like so many athletes before him (Jordan, Sugar Ray Leonard, etc.,) he decides he misses the competition and wants to return.

    A return to his former team, which is in a state of shambles, makes absolutely no sense at this stage in his career. He doesn't have enough in the tank to propel it to another level and they sure don't have it without him. One more season of .500 ball hardly seems appealing to leave retirment.

    So, he decides to take the best opportunity to win the championship that has eluded him for his career, play in a new city, and engage in competition. If it doesn't work out (ala MJ and the Wizards,) he can simply write it off as a bad idea. If he wins a championship or is in the hunt for one again, I'm sure it will be worth it to him.

    I guess from his standpoint I don't see that he is making a bad move, and quite frankly it is about the only decision that would make sense. We have all felt one way on a certain topic and felt free to change our minds at a future date. As a human being Reggie can do the same.

    I'll vote for him whenever he plays anybody but the Pacers, and it sounds like it may give me a team to root for in the playoffs.

    I think everything else folks are saying on here is more selfish in its conception than anything else. I sure don't want to see him in Celtic green either, but I was glad to see a Celtic (Larry Bird) on our bench.
    Actual post of the mother****ing year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "You know, in the ten years that I coached, I never met anybody who wanted to win as badly as I did. I'd do anything I had to do to increase my advantage. Anybody who tried to block the pursuit of that advantage, I'd just push 'em out of the way. Didn't matter who they were, or what they were doing. But that was then. You have special talent, a gift. Not the Pacers', not the city's, not the team's, not Donnie Walsh's, not mine. It's yours, to do with what you choose. Because that's what I believe, I can tell you this: I don't care if you play on the Celtics or not"
    Post of the mother****ing year, Jr.

  2. #77
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,110

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by brichard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think everything else folks are saying on here is more selfish in its conception than anything else. I sure don't want to see him in Celtic green either, but I was glad to see a Celtic (Larry Bird) on our bench.


    hey if he wants to coach the Celts - be my guest.
    But the things we as fans are getting ticked off is more about coming to realization that our SAINT is not really that much of a saint - as he'll be doing the things that he said he would NOT do.

  3. #78
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,961

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My mistake... that is what Coach Norman Dale told Reggie!



    -Bball
    Yeah, I know I'm always getting him and Rick confused.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  4. #79

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Up 'til now I've kept my mouth shut on the Reggie Miller to Celtics comeback, but now that it looks like he has decided to return all I can say is good luck to him.

    He gave us 16 yrs of good, memorable professional basketball. And yeah, I'm disheartened by the fact that his alleged comeback will be with another team, but I've had to weigh my dislike for him going elsewhere upon coming out of retirement versus him staying retired and never attaining that one true measure of success any pro athlet seeks. I realized after really thinking it through that it IS very selfish of me - of all of us - to not want him to try and reach that one pinnacle of success - a championship.

    There are fundamental differences between what Karl Malone and Gary Peyton did and even what MJ himself did versus what Reggie is slated to do: 1) Malone and Peyton "jumped ship" to chase a ring. Both players made it clear to their respective former teams that they no longer wanted to be a part of the legacy they helped to create and were therefore leaving it behind because neither team could reach the level of success they dreamed to attain which was to win a championship. 2) MJ simply came out of retirement to show he could still play the game. Reggie, although he too would be chasing a ring, NEVER bailed on the Pacers during his career. Of course, his image will be alittle tarnished simply because upon his retirement he stated - almost to the point of being adoment - that he'd never come back (to the game of basketball) and that he'd never chase a ring. So, from that perspective it does seem like a big slap in the fact to all Pacers fans. However, if I had to chose between "a player's legacy w/o a championship" -vs- "a player's legacy with a championship", I'd rather see that player win the ultimate prize as long as he does it in a respectable way.

    You could argue that Malone and Peyton were justified in leaving their former teams in pursuit of a ring. After all, neither team were going anywhere near the Finals at the time they bailed, and one could use that same argument here concerning the Pacers. But Reggie never publicly bad-mouthed his former team either. Hence, the biggest reason I can tolerate him leaving in pursuit of that ultimate prize. He tried real hard even after the '99/00 team split up to move "his" team forward and to teach them how to truly play the game "the right way". His legacy as the most beloved Pacer will live on regardless of whether he plays another game professionally or not whomever he plays for.

    So, to Uncle Reggie I say, "Good Luck" in whatever decision you make. And thanks for the memories!
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 08-16-2007 at 11:57 AM.

  5. #80

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by dubyacop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK..now what does this say to JO?
    I hadn't thought about this angle, but here's my take on it: NOTHING!

    JO simply needs go out and do his very best to lead his team to a championship, but do it for YOURSELF, not for a promise made to a living legend.

  6. #81
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    and quite frankly it is about the only decision that would make sense
    What, just retain your dignity and integrity and excel in your new life has been taken off the table?

  7. #82
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,299

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Here are the problems I have with Reggie coming back and playing for the Celtics:

    1) It diminishes a big part of his legacy: the fact that he played for only one team. I can understand him not wanting to return to the current Pacers, but at some point Reg has to realize that he just can't play anymore. Everybody's career ends at some point, and Reggie is 42 years old. If he does this, I have no doubt he'll regret it later.

    2) It makes him a hypocrite for all the bashing of players who went ring-chasing.

    3) There is no guarantee of winning a championship. In fact, it's not even likely, IMO. Boston may get through the East, but there are about 3-4 teams that would probably crush them in the Finals. If Reg does this and doesn't win a ring, he threw away a big part of his legacy for NOTHING. And if he does win a ring, he does it for a city that will never love or appreciate him even a fraction as much as us Pacers fans do. We supported him despite the fact that he was unable to bring us a title.

    4) Reggie may very well flop in Boston. A big part of his success here is attributed to the fact that the offense was designed around him. That's why he struggled so much when he and JO were on the floor together, because the offense was then primarily based around JO.

    It's just a really, really bad idea, and it would be very painful to lot of us to see him don an opposing jersey. It may not diminish what he did when he was here, but it does make him the enemy, and that's hard to accept after all the support we Pacers fans gave him.

  8. #83
    Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,263
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any takes on what Bird had to say? I wasn't able to listen.
    Anyone????

  9. #84
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,961

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone????
    It really wasn't much of anything. Lot's of joking around with Dan. Dan asked him about JO, and Larry said JO has told them he wants to stay. Dan asked him about KG and Boston, and Larry said they look good on paper, like a lot of teams in the East, but they have to do it on the court.

    IOW, nothing we didn't hear him say the last couple weeks.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  10. #85
    Member Knucklehead Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    874

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    My biggest concern is that Reggie doesn't make a fool of himself.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

  11. #86
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    This is lowest point of current Pacer history in my opinion. I am just sick to my stomach in regards to this on top of everything else that has or has not happened recently.
    I have to wonder if Reggie would have went another year or two if the "locker room"
    was not how it was at that point.

    I'm not sure if I can get any more melancholy right now about this team, but I'm sure anything is possible. I really could not careless about this team than I do right now. Blah.. It hurts a part of me to say that but it is the truth.

    The fact there is no :melancholy: smilie just might be the last straw for me.

    Last edited by Frank Slade; 08-16-2007 at 06:52 PM.

    Why Not Us ?


  12. #87
    Banned Big Smooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,204

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by FireTheCoach View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good for Reggie.... I hope he signs with Boston and takes a legit shot at a championship, he deserves one.
    I feel the same way and I won't have any problem cheering for Reggie and the C's except when they play Indiana of course.

  13. #88

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What, just retain your dignity and integrity and excel in your new life has been taken off the table?
    1. This is what we call "taken out of context." The paragraph I was referring to was in regards to if he comes back then the only option that would make sense is a shot like this. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my post, but it would make no sense to come back to the Pacers.

    2. How is playing for another team not retaining your dignity and integrity? Is Reggie now somehow a jacka$$ b/c he wants to play for another team? Is he a thief and a cheater? In any other profession, with the exception of sports, a person is not maligned for taking a position with a new company with such ferocity.

    3. It has been mentioned before, but I still don't get how this tarnishes Reggie's legacy. It may tarnish it for you personally, but 20 years from now most people won't care. He'll be known for his three point accuracy, trash talking, clutch shooting, and flopping of course... essentially the sum of his career.

    I just want to apply the same standard to the folks on this board that they are applying to Reggie. You retire and somebody offers you a good salary and opportunity to come back. You aren't sure if you can do it, but you decide to give it your level best and see what happens.

    Do all of your former colleagues stop talking to you? Are all your past accomplishments somehow tainted? I'd swear we were talking about Barry Bonds sometimes more than Reggie Miller.

    And the next time any of you change your mind on something you originally said, I want to be there to call you a hypocrite! A hypocrite blasts somebody for doing something they would not do, and they are doing it. It is a far different thing to simply have a change of heart on a particular matter. We have all done it.

    I know this will be blaspheme but... he's a nice man and it is just a game.

    I for one appreciate everything he has done for the Blue and Gold and of all people who have ever played for them, Reggie owes this franchise nothing. He has been a great player, team mate, etc. He isn't perfect, but I wish him well.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

  14. #89
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,961

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Okay, this is getting ridiculous. There are people who are fine with Reggie coming back, and there are people who aren't. There's no reason for one group to attack the other. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

    People who support Reggie coming back are not actually Reggie. Bad mouthing them won't change anything. And people who don't want Reggie to come back are hurting enough as it is, it doesn't help to be told they have no right to feel that way.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  15. #90

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, this is getting ridiculous. There are people who are fine with Reggie coming back, and there are people who aren't. There's no reason for one group to attack the other. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

    People who support Reggie coming back are not actually Reggie. Bad mouthing them won't change anything. And people who don't want Reggie to come back are hurting enough as it is, it doesn't help to be told they have no right to feel that way.

    I didn't really see anything getting out of hand, just good natured debate. But to your point we probably have a
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

  16. #91
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, this is getting ridiculous. There are people who are fine with Reggie coming back, and there are people who aren't. There's no reason for one group to attack the other. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

    People who support Reggie coming back are not actually Reggie. Bad mouthing them won't change anything. And people who don't want Reggie to come back are hurting enough as it is, it doesn't help to be told they have no right to feel that way.

  17. #92

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Maybe if the Pacers were any good or if I thought that Reggie would be anything more than a Steve Kerr at this point in his career, I'd care. I don't feel slighted, not that there is anything wrong with that.

    I think in the end Reggie will regret it, but he's a big boy and usually people don't get paid millions to make mistakes.

    It's almost two different players in my mind. One an NBA great, the other an aging star who doesn't know when its over. The second doesn't impact the first in my heart.

  18. #93
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,396

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL - NO, STOP IT - HAHAHA...

  19. #94
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    An alternative...


  20. #95
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    An alternative...

    Good Lord, I'm changing my mood just cause of this smilie.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  21. #96
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,525
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....



    I thank that's the guy who touched me inappropriately.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  22. #97
    Member rabid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,464

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    What if we have to play against him in the playoffs? Talk about awkward...

  23. #98
    PD original FireTheCoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    southport, indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    First of all, it's not like Reggie playing for Boston is going to impact the Pacers chances of winning a title this season... in addition to that, as great as Reggie is and as big of a Miller fan as I am, I am realistic enough to know that Reggie Miller is of little use to MY team at this point...

    The guy gave us so much for such a long time it just seems wrong to me for people that would otherwise consider themselves "Reggie fans" to want to bad mouth him or dismiss his desire to achieve the ultimate goal.

  24. #99
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,961

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My grandma would be so proud.

    You're going to hell, by the way.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  25. #100
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My grandma would be so proud.
    Yes, you'd now be the favorite grandchild.

    If you weren't gainfully employed I'd tell you Sister Elaine could get you a job.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 01:42 AM
  2. Reggie Miller called into the Dan Patrick show yesterday
    By pacerwaala in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2005, 12:31 PM
  3. Reggie Miller coming up on Dan Patrick Show 9/29
    By Reggie4Three in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 02:43 PM
  4. Reggie interviewed on Dan Patrick show today.....
    By MagicRat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 10:55 PM
  5. Reggie was on the Dan Patrick show today, ESPN radio
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •