Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

Good Job Larry! Indianapolis_girly's Avatar

Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah Mel came back to play with New Jersey. He played like 11 or 12 games and then quit on it. Thats why he doesn't want Reggie to come back.
    Ohhhhhh, I understand now. Thanks guys
    I thought about my post after I posted it. I didn't figure they would remove a guy's name/banner just for joining another team when he did so much for the franchise.

Some people want it to happen, some
    wish it would happen, & others make it happen.
    ..Michael Jordan.

Pressure is something you feel when
    you don't know what the hell you're
    doing.
    ..Peyton Manning.

From the sound of the comments by some of you, I assume I'm
    older than alot of you. Personally, I was never a Miller fan until
    Larry Brown showed up and forced him to become an all-around
    player and not just a shooter. I came to really appreciate the
    guy his last 6-8 years, but as someone who spent a ton of
    time in the Colesium in the ABA days, he was never the reason
    I was and am a big Pacer fan.

Still though, if he plays for the Celts, it'll **** me off and mark him
    as just another in a long line of hypocritical athletes. As a lifelong
    Bosox fan too, it's not as bad as Clemens in a Yankee uniform, but
    it's close enough.

On the other hand, he could be contemplating playing for the Knicks
    which would be a Clemens-like travesty !

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    From the sound of the comments by some of you, I assume I'm
    older than alot of you. Personally, I was never a Miller fan until
    Larry Brown showed up and forced him to become an all-around
    player and not just a shooter. I came to really appreciate the
    guy his last 6-8 years, but as someone who spent a ton of
    time in the Colesium in the ABA days, he was never the reason
    I was and am a big Pacer fan.

Still though, if he plays for the Celts, it'll **** me off and mark him
    as just another in a long line of hypocritical athletes. As a lifelong
    Bosox fan too, it's not as bad as Clemens in a Yankee uniform, but
    it's close enough.

On the other hand, he could be contemplating playing for the Knicks
    which would be a Clemens-like travesty !
    But the Red Sox traded Clemens. They threw him to the curb and then he decided to stick it to them in the best way possible. That's why this is worse.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This sucks on a multitude of levels.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    But the Red Sox traded Clemens. They threw him to the curb and then he decided to stick it to them in the best way possible. That's why this is worse.
    We certainly did not. He was a free agent and signed with the Jays.

We lowballed him and generally treated him like ****, but the choice to sign with Toronto and the choice to take steroids and the choice to continually hire himself out to the highest bidder no matter what for the rest of his career were all his.

As someone said earlier, I was a little disappointed that Dan didn't ask him about his legacy, but I thought it was understandable that he didn't. Now that I think about it, he should have at least asked him about his Karl Malone comments.

I'm changing my mood back to sad.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Banned

It could just be me, but seeing as Reggie did so much for this franchise, and clearly for all of you fans posting above -- shouldn't we be wishing him well if he wants to go for the championship? Are you so selfish that you would deny a hall of famer, who had loyalty enough to stay in the small market instead of following Shaq around, one more go at it?

This complaining is absurd. The man spent nearly 20 years playing for this city and being a character guy for this city. I give him best wishes and if he wants to play for the ring in Boston, I hope he gets it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cobol Sam View Post
    It could just be me, but seeing as Reggie did so much for this franchise, and clearly for all of you fans posting above -- shouldn't we be wishing him well if he wants to go for the championship? Are you so selfish that you would deny a hall of famer, who had loyalty enough to stay in the small market instead of following Shaq around, one more go at it?

This complaining is absurd. The man spent nearly 20 years playing for this city and being a character guy for this city. I give him best wishes and if he wants to play for the ring in Boston, I hope he gets it.
    I agree. I mean, what guy doesnt want to win a ring. Its not like Reggie said he was making a comeback. He was asked by Danny Ainge to comeback. He didnt go out of his way, he was asked. Sure i would rather Reggie not comeback but if he can get a ring then especially if hes asked to come back and play for the Celtics why not. Wouldnt you? Your asked to come play on one of the best teams in the league after a career like Reggie's. Wouldnt you go after that ring?

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...LOCAL/70815044

It appears KG is wooing Reggie. You know the Celtics would be an
    odd team. Reggie, Garnett, Ray Allen, Pierce, all players who were/are great and never won a Championship all joined together to get a title for all the long sufferers on teams that just could not get the job done. Yes I would
    be disappointed to see Reggie in another uni,green :-( , but I would still watch that team.

Heck, Reggie is the only one to be in the finals.
    Heck Reggie would be the Pacers rep for that all-star team. He can put on the green
    but he is a Pacer forever.
    Last edited by owl; 08-15-2007 at 07:43 PM.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    it's not as bad as Clemens in a Yankee uniform, but it's close enough.
    And let me tell you, as a monster Yanks fan even I HATED that, it was repulsive, even before he threw the bat at Piazza.

If Jeter ever signed with Boston...suicide watch.

Look, the point isn't "if he wants to do it" and "look what he did for Indy", the point is that BEYOND THOSE THINGS another MAJOR part of his legacy is that he stuck it out with Indy, no matter what. Like Favre is now, like plenty of other greats who have had the option to move on but didn't. That's a special circle of players and he GOT CREDIT FOR IT.

He wants to hear the crowd? Just walk on the floor at Conseco during any Pacers game EVER from now till the end of time. They gave him a freaking car, they PAID HIM AN EXTRA SEASON, that stuff, the fans reaction, that was all about "you were always our guy and you were great".

You don't get that treatment if you go from city to city. You think if KG wins it all and stays with Boston for 6 more years that the Wolves fans will love him like we love Reggie?

Heck, you think Boston fans will love Reggie like we do?

And that's IF HE PLAYS WELL. There is almost zero upside here. He gets a ring that EVERYONE will consider unearned, barring some miraculous effort on his part that even he doesn't think he has in him. Wow. Why not just have KG give him his ring instead, it will be about as personal.

The flip is that he goes out like Namath, Mays, Mel Daniels and a slew of others who stayed too long, let alone coming back after a few years. Think of Dennis Rodman and his Spurs thing. Do you want games like that on Reggie's resume?

Heck, anything BUT a ring will make this effort a failure. It's not like this is automatic.

IMO right now Reggie is so money and he doesn't even know it. He's going to walk away from his hard earned legacy to go chase this other crap, this empty one night stand.

I know in our utter grip of fandom it is hard to look at things rationally, but let's try this on for size.

Reggie retired in sincerity intending to never come back to the game.

A few years later, like so many athletes before him (Jordan, Sugar Ray Leonard, etc.,) he decides he misses the competition and wants to return.

A return to his former team, which is in a state of shambles, makes absolutely no sense at this stage in his career. He doesn't have enough in the tank to propel it to another level and they sure don't have it without him. One more season of .500 ball hardly seems appealing to leave retirment.

So, he decides to take the best opportunity to win the championship that has eluded him for his career, play in a new city, and engage in competition. If it doesn't work out (ala MJ and the Wizards,) he can simply write it off as a bad idea. If he wins a championship or is in the hunt for one again, I'm sure it will be worth it to him.

I guess from his standpoint I don't see that he is making a bad move, and quite frankly it is about the only decision that would make sense. We have all felt one way on a certain topic and felt free to change our minds at a future date. As a human being Reggie can do the same.

I'll vote for him whenever he plays anybody but the Pacers, and it sounds like it may give me a team to root for in the playoffs.

I think everything else folks are saying on here is more selfish in its conception than anything else. I sure don't want to see him in Celtic green either, but I was glad to see a Celtic (Larry Bird) on our bench.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Good post Naptown!

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    And let me tell you, as a monster Yanks fan even I HATED that, it was repulsive, even before he threw the bat at Piazza.

Look, the point isn't "if he wants to do it" and "look what he did for Indy", the point is that BEYOND THOSE THINGS another MAJOR part of his legacy is that he stuck it out with Indy, no matter what. Like Favre is now, like plenty of other greats who have had the option to move on but didn't. That's a special circle of players and he GOT CREDIT FOR IT.

He wants to hear the crowd? Just walk on the floor at Conseco during any Pacers game EVER from now till the end of time. They gave him a freaking car, they PAID HIM AN EXTRA SEASON, that stuff, the fans reaction, that was all about "you were always our guy and you were great".

You don't get that treatment if you go from city to city. You think if KG wins it all and stays with Boston for 6 more years that the Wolves fans will love him like we love Reggie?

And that's IF HE PLAYS WELL. There is almost zero upside here. He gets a ring that EVERYONE will consider unearned, barring some miraculous effort on his part that even he doesn't think he has in him. Wow. Why not just have KG give him his ring instead, it will be about as personal.

The flip is that he goes out like Namath, Mays, Mel Daniels and a slew of others who stayed too long, let alone coming back after a few years. Think of Dennis Rodman and his Spurs thing. Do you want games like that on Reggie's resume?

Heck, anything BUT a ring will make this effort a failure. It's not like this is automatic.

IMO right now Reggie is so money and he doesn't even know it. He's going to walk away from his hard earned legacy to go chase this other crap, this empty one night stand.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

i guess i am in the extreme minority here when i say i really don't give a damn whether he plays for the celtics or not. he still spent the majority of his career playing here. it would simply mean to me that he isn't playing here anymore. if he did come back- he is by no means obligated to come play for the pacers. if he came back it would be for a ring and that sure as hell isn't happening here in the next couple of years. so to come back to this team would be a waste of time. if we had a real contender here, i think he would probably come back here but we ain't got a contender. most likely a team that could win 35-45 games and a likely 1st round exit assuming we make the playoffs. reggie played on enough of those teams here in years past.

Here is what Carlisle told Reggie:

"You know, in the ten years that I coached, I never met anybody who wanted to win as badly as I did. I'd do anything I had to do to increase my advantage. Anybody who tried to block the pursuit of that advantage, I'd just push 'em out of the way. Didn't matter who they were, or what they were doing. But that was then. You have special talent, a gift. Not the Pacers', not the city's, not the team's, not Donnie Walsh's, not mine. It's yours, to do with what you choose. Because that's what I believe, I can tell you this: I don't care if you play on the Celtics or not"
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Here is what Carlisle told Reggie:

"You know, in the ten years that I coached, I never met anybody who wanted to win as badly as I did. I'd do anything I had to do to increase my advantage. Anybody who tried to block the pursuit of that advantage, I'd just push 'em out of the way. Didn't matter who they were, or what they were doing. But that was then. You have special talent, a gift. Not the Pacers', not the city's, not the team's, not Donnie Walsh's, not mine. It's yours, to do with what you choose. Because that's what I believe, I can tell you this: I don't care if you play on the Celtics or not"
    Did Carlisle really steal a quote from the movie "Hoosiers"?

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
    Did Carlisle really steal a quote from the movie "Hoosiers"?

My mistake... that is what Coach Norman Dale told Reggie!

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

Post of the mother ing year. I'm book marking it just to nominate it next year. EXACTLY how I feel. EXACTLY. No kidding about hearing the crowd again Conseco erupted anytime he was within 10 miles of it last year.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Reggie winning a title with the Celtics is like buying an online degree. Sure it's a degree, but is it worth anything?

I wish Reggie the best, if anyone deserves a ring it would be him.

But, as a Pacer fan, can you rub anymore salt in our wounds?

The sand, that we as a collective fan base, have had kicked in our face the past several seasons has left me numb inside.

When he does suit up, at least it'll give me reason to watch a lot more NCAA ball. Gotta check out these lottery picks after all.

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    Any takes on what Bird had to say? I wasn't able to listen.
    Was Bird even on?

OK, lemme toss mt 2 cents out there, alot of which has already been eluded to, here and in other posts.

I was saddened to hear about all of this, yeah, it kills the legacy here at home, but you know if there was any kind of hope for a ring here, then this is where he would have come back too. He did have his chances here, of course, against the evil lakers, another stolen by someones Grandmama, the last, and I believe the best chance snatched away by a lunatic, and a dude with a beer cup. So, do I blame him for giving it another run?.. no does it tarnish his retirement here? yes, but with the events surrounding his last 2 years here, I don't blame him for taking his shot.

now what does this say to JO?...I think Reg was his mentor, and I do think that he will opt out now, and get his ring before he retires, improving on the example Reg is setting for him now.

I wish Reggie well if indeed he does give it another shot, If he would have had his shot here the last couple of years then he wouldn't be doing this, I say welcome him back, cheer him on and hope like hell we have someone who can stop him, and Redd.

Quote Originally Posted by dubyacop View Post
    now what does this say to JO?...
    I think it says, "I like KG a whole lot more than I like you."
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dubyacop View Post
    He did have his chances here, of course, against the evil lakers, another stolen by someones Grandmama, the last, and I believe the best chance snatched away by a lunatic, and a dude with a beer cup. So, do I blame him for giving it another run?.. no does it tarnish his retirement here? yes, but with the events surrounding his last 2 years here, I don't blame him for taking his shot.

If Reggie comes back I'd bet it's because he feels that the last couple of years with the Pacers were unfullfilling. He might feel that he was sooo close and was robbed by Ron Artest and to a lesser degree David Stern.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Good for Reggie.... I hope he signs with Boston and takes a legit shot at a championship, he deserves one.