Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

sweabs

Default Re: Larry Bird and Reggie Miller to be on Dan Patrick Show today....

It's weird, because the reason I fell in love with this team in the first place is because of Reggie Miller.

Now I find myself having to cheer for this team over my childhood hero. And to be honest, I don't have that "personal attachment" to this team as currently constructed. But I've always had that feeling with Reggie (because of everything MORE than just the basketball).

Yep, if he plays for another team and turns into a ring whore, I'm done with him. Definitely not hanging a framed Reggie jersey or a framed print of him holding up the "INDIANA" on his jersey in my newly christened computer room. Sad too, it's the only room in the house where I control the decor....

Thanks Reggie, if you do it, you will have done the one thing that you could do to alienate me from you. A LOT of respect will be lost.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I dunno guys. There is a rumor going around how Reggie Miller was offered a position with the Cavilers after the All Star break this previous season. If he does come back to the Celtics, I'll be sure to never watch a NBA game again.

i'm in denial. i don't want to believe any of this stuff but it's unavoidable. if reggie comes back to the nba in anything other than blue and gold it's just not right. this is practically hypocritcal on his part. downing all the "ring chasers" then coming back for that exact reason. he should be ashamed of himself. reggie miller, like many others, is the lone reason i came to love the indiana pacers. if he wears another teams uniform, i don't think i can root for him. i'ma die hard pacers fan and that will never change. part of me wants him to win a ring but the other half doesn't. i'm really overreacting to this, but i can't help it.

so reggie, please don't come back.

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Definitely not hanging a framed Reggie jersey or a framed print of him holding up the "INDIANA" on his jersey in my newly christened computer room. Sad too, it's the only room in the house where I control the decor....
    I have his rookie jersey and the jersey he wore his last year hanging in my room. if he comes back, i won't ever be able to look at them as i used too.

sweabs

It's tough being an Indiana Pacer fan these days. We've had to put up with some bad characters, a tarnished reputation, a lot of losing, incompetent management, etc.

But the one thing we've always had is Reggie Miller...who represented everything we want from our Indiana Pacers.

And now, it's as if we don't have him anymore. In fact, we won't as soon as he puts that ****in' green jersey on.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    It's weird, because the reason I fell in love with this team in the first place is because of Reggie Miller.

Now I find myself having to cheer for this team over my childhood hero. And to be honest, I don't have that "personal attachment" to this team as currently constructed. But I've always had that feeling with Reggie (because of everything MORE than just the basketball).
    Perfectly sums up my feelings as well
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    It's tough being an Indiana Pacer fan these days. We've had to put up with some bad characters, a tarnished reputation, a lot of losing, incompetent management, etc.

But the one thing we've always had is Reggie Miller...who represented everything we want from our Indiana Pacers.

And now, it's as if we don't have him anymore. In fact, we won't as soon as he puts that ****in' green jersey on.
    Yep, he was our one constant. The one thing we could count on as Pacer fans to represent what our franchise was actually about.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I had a DVD of those final moments I would send it to him with a note
    "It's all a lie".
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sign that contract, Reggie.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Or cover his jersey with a black curtain until he re-retires.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    The chants of one more year falling on a deaf ear.
    Obviously he thought people were saying "One more year wearing green".

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I bet a lot of Red Sox fans were just thrilled when Babe Ruth finally got his chance to show off his hitting ability with NY. Of course he already had his Boston ring and was traded rather than just signing with them.

This whole "it's silly to get upset" thing: why? What's the difference between this and the reason you liked him or rooted for him? It's ALL "just sports", right? Would you have rooted for Reggie if he was a Knick all those years doing those things to the Pacers instead? F NO!

So the reason he has any importance is just as silly, just as uniform based or loyalty based, as the reason to be upset now. It's only a game whether it's 8.9 or 25 or tying up NJ with a miracle.

Being married is special, it's a strong bond that goes beyond just friendship. That's why cheating is so bad in comparison to some single person just hooking up. Reggie has enjoyed the immense benefit of that bond and his loyalty, but the other side of it is that a level of committment is expected that other, NON-ICONS aren't required to show.

It's hard not to just go for the cheap win, but that's why the few that do are so special. Reggie throws all those years of loyalty and integrity out the window for a cheap fling? It's just stupid to me.

Imagine Walter Payton going to the 49ers in 84 to get his ring instead of hanging in there with the Bears. Imagine Don Mattingly coming back to join the Braves in 96 for a WS shot.

[yt]9dg01iWlRCY[/yt]

You wanna throw all this away Reggie? Cause thats what you'll be doing.

[yt]6BBKJUtP_xk[/yt]
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 08-15-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

This can't be real......

I think I'm going to be sick.

I don't want to sound selfish at all, either. This hurts a lot because Reggie made it clear he prided himself in staying with Indiana his entire career, and also called out ring chasers in the past. (Malone and Payton)

The Celtics are essentially ripping my heart out, throwing it in a blender then pouring it in the ocean as soon as Reggie signs that contract.

But hey, that's what being a Pacers fan the last 3-4 years has been about.
    Last edited by Lord Helmet; 08-15-2007 at 04:51 PM.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I'm sure he's thinking "If Michael Jordan can play for another team AFTER winning championships and not tarnish his legacy, I can do it since I haven't won one. "

Well, what would you have him do - re-sign with the Pacers?

They're probably the reason he didn't come back the next year! Remember him saying what he did about the "chemistry"?

This team has been mis-managed for the last 3-4 years, so he definitely doesn't want any part of the P's, and he's got that one last itch that needs scratching.

I will gladly watch Reggie on whatever team he joins, be it Celtics or Phoenix, because I believe the Suns are pursuing him as well.

I'm finding it hard for me to get excited about the NBA this year due to the Pacers' woes, and the non-movement by the FO, so if Reg comes back, I'll have a reason to watch.

My $.02...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess I'm one of the only guys that would love to see Reggie play again... even if for another team. Against any other team I'll be rooting for him to torch whoever is guarding him.

When he plays against the Pacers though, I hope he lays an egg and Kareem Rush burns him up one side and down the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Good Job Larry! Indianapolis_girly's Avatar

Wow, I don't know what to say.
    Like the most of you, I don't know what to say to this other than "don't do it Reg!"
    He deserves a ring, but all of his legacy would be gone with the P's.
    Wouldn't his retired banner be removed from Conseco too?

Some people want it to happen, some
    wish it would happen, & others make it happen.
    ..Michael Jordan.

Pressure is something you feel when
    you don't know what the hell you're
    doing.
    ..Peyton Manning.

Quote Originally Posted by J0DannyFan733 View Post
    Wouldn't his retired banner be removed from Conseco too?
    No way. I don't believe in pretend the past didn't happen. Neither will the people who could make that call.

Besides, it's not like they un-retired #23 in Chicago after 2002. George McGinnis (and I want to say Mel and Roger as well?) all played with other teams after playing in Indiana. Either a player does enough while wearing your uniform to warrant the retirement or he doesn't IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    No way. I don't believe in pretend the past didn't happen. Neither will the people who could make that call.

Besides, it's not like they un-retired #23 in Chicago after 2002. George McGinnis (and I want to say Mel and Roger as well?) all played with other teams after playing in Indiana. Either a player does enough while wearing your uniform to warrant the retirement or he doesn't IMO.
    Yeah Mel came back to play with New Jersey. He played like 11 or 12 games and then quit on it. Thats why he doesn't want Reggie to come back.

i swear reggie called out guys like malone and payton for joining the lakers back when - for chasing a ring.

when the shoe is on the other hand . . .

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Why am I angry? I just keep thinking about Ray Borque. Classy player that played on one team his entire career who got a shot at a championship on a stacked team late in his career. Sound familar? The indelible image of his HOF career is him lifting the cup in a Avalanche sweater, not all of the years he played in Boston. Ray was not by any stretch of the imagination one of the best players on that Avs team, but he became the story of the SC finals that year. The same would happen to Reggie. He would become the story on ESPN all season. And he will become as linked to the Celts as to the Pacers in the eyes of basketball fans around the country. Michael had 6 rings in Chicago; he will always be a Bull. Reggie will become a Celtic forever if they win, and for that I am angry. Might as well pack up the franchise and move it to KC.

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Any takes on what Bird had to say? I wasn't able to listen.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Pincus View Post
    i swear reggie called out guys like malone and payton for joining the lakers back when - for chasing a ring.

when the shoe is on the other hand . . .
    And those guys were still active when they jumped ship. They never had that retirement ceremony and jersey retirement ceremony. This is the second time that I have felt betrayed as a Pacer fan this summer and I am sick of it.