Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

  1. #1
    Wake me up next season.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not really where I want to be.
    Posts
    1,356
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Donaghy guilty just posted at Star:



    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...SECTION=SPORTS




    My first question is even if he did plead guilty, how on earth did they get this case rammed
    through the system so quickly?

  2. #2
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,811

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    I heard on the radio that he said under oath that no other officials knew what he was up to........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  3. #3
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,106

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    well at least he aint a rat...

  4. #4
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I heard on the radio that he said under oath that no other officials knew what he was up to........
    But to me he has indicted the refs in a differnet manner, he has basically admitted that some refs have such strong tendancies in how they interact with certain players that you could actually make a smart bet on the outcome of a game that featured said refs/players.


    That's not intentionally dirty, but it's just as bad. If Ref A works game with Player B then Player B's team is more likely to lose. Who wants to hear that crap, how is that good for the league?


    Also I think the NBA would let money do the talking in relation to any other names popping up. I'm sure they had people and money in place to contain this as much as possible.

  5. #5
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well at least he aint a rat...
    Don't be so sure.

    http://withleather.com/post.phtml?pk=3636

  6. #6
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    "I got an away game in Detroit"

    and the Goodyear blimp as the police copter

  7. #7

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But to me he has indicted the refs in a differnet manner, he has basically admitted that some refs have such strong tendancies...

    If Ref A works game with Player B then Player B's team is more likely to lose. .
    The gamblers already know that certain refs have certain clear tendencies, some call games tighter and some looser, particularly affecting the pace of the game and thus the over/under (total score). The NBA won't announce officiating crews in advance because of that. I would expect that the extra betting based on officiating information was placed more on over/under bets than on winning/losing teams.

    So this slimeball Donaghy was just releasing the schedule of who would be reffing what games, far enough in advance to allow betting based upon that information. I don't think that this means the other refs were also tainted.

    However...I don't quite understand the part about him talking about what refs were cozy with what players. That could be fishy.

    I think that Donaghy had a gambling problem, got into deep debt, was told the only way to make it up was to give this information (or else we come after you and your wife and your kids!), and that he probably did as little as he thought that he could to make up the money he owed and to keep the bookies away.

    Of course he should not have gotten in that situation, but I can see how it might spiral out of control even if he were acting alone and even if he wasn't blatantly fixing games but was instead passing along priviledged info (reffing schedules, observations of unreported injuries, etc.) a little at a time.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 08-16-2007 at 04:28 PM.

  8. #8
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,705

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    What happened to all of you who were sure that this was widespread and that Donaghy was only the beginning

  9. #9
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    more from mike mathis... take it however you wish

    FORMER NBA REF BLASTS OFFICIATING

    By FRED KERBER


    August 17, 2007 -- The former head of the NBA referees union and a league official for 26 years yesterday said rogue referee Tim Donaghy was able to slip through the cracks because refereeing has gotten worse and cited the final shot of Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls career as an example where a player's reputation prevented a proper call.

    Mike Mathis, who retired in 2001, said Donaghy's guilty plea in federal court to betting on games he officiated and supplying inside information to mob affiliates, came as "a stick of dynamite" to the league. But Mathis said, "another stick of dynamite should be utilized (to) clean the entire officiating office and start from scratch."

    Mathis, who had been snared in the NBA officials' airline ticket scandal in the late 1990's, has been loudly critical of NBA officiating. Mathis charged too many supervisors are unqualified and that referees are hired based on who, not what, they know.

    Though angrily denouncing Donaghy's actions, Mathis referenced the pivotal shot in Game 6 of the 1998 Finals by Jordan against the Utah Jazz that gave the Bulls their sixth and final championship in the Jordan era. Many observers maintain Jordan committed an offensive foul, but it was not called because of Jordan's stature and reputation.

    "Refereeing has gone downhill," said Mathis, who runs the Mathis Foundation that works with and supplies scholarships for foster kids in Cincinnati. "Remember when Jordan hit that winning shot? I'm going to give you exactly what the commentators said: 'What a great move by Michael.' Was that a great move or was that an offensive foul? There was no question it was a push-off. No buts about it. The only buts you can have is, 'Well, it was Michael Jordan.' That was a defining moment.
    "The video tape would never lie," Mathis said. "Here's what could have happened. The referee makes the call and it's, 'No, no. How could he do that? It was Michael Jordan.' "

    If what Mathis called "funny stuff" went on in games Donaghy worked, it likely went unnoticed because of the level officiating has hit.
    "(We) accept unbelievable, mediocre and bad officiating," Mathis said. "The commentator says, 'He must have seen something we didn't.' No, he didn't. It's either he's guessing, he's incompetent or there's some funny stuff going on."

    Donaghy admitted to federal officials that he often supplied inside information to gamblers, alerting them to what referees were working particular games. He said he was aware how some referees interacted with certain players.
    "The first thing I went through was shock," Mathis said when he learned of Donaghy's transgressions. "Then I got angry. Then I said, 'What caused this?' I'm not talking about the gambling, I'm talking about the deterioration of the refereeing that has allowed this to go undetected. . . . If he was doing the funny stuff, I'm not saying he would have been caught but we might have had a chance, because all of a sudden he's standing out by calling all these calls."

    LINK
    This is the darkest timeline.

  10. #10
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The gamblers already know that certain refs have certain clear tendencies, some call games tighter and some looser, particularly affecting the pace of the game and thus the over/under (total score). The NBA won't announce officiating crews in advance because of that. I would expect that the extra betting based on officiating information was placed more on over/under bets than on winning/losing teams.

    So this slimeball Donaghy was just releasing the schedule of who would be reffing what games, far enough in advance to allow betting based upon that information. I don't think that this means the other refs were also tainted.

    However...I don't quite understand the part about him talking about what refs were cozy with what players. That could be fishy.

    I think that Donaghy had a gambling problem, got into deep debt, was told the only way to make it up was to give this information (or else we come after you and your wife and your kids!), and that he probably did as little as he thought that he could to make up the money he owed and to keep the bookies away.

    Of course he should not have gotten in that situation, but I can see how it might spiral out of control even if he were acting alone and even if he wasn't blatantly fixing games but was instead passing along priviledged info (reffing schedules, observations of unreported injuries, etc.) a little at a time.
    But Tom, that still substantiates my point, it OPENLY ADMITS that the game is biased by WHICH ref is working that night. Okay, so you say all the gamblers knew and TD just needed to get them the schedule. How is this better than if he was the one telling them which refs affected which players?

    The point is that refs so clearly affect the games of some players that you could MAKE A SMART BET ON IT. Doesn't matter who is guilty of what, who in the gambling chain knew what, it means the PRODUCT IS F'D UP!

    Unless I missed the part where the gamblers weren't interested in TDs knowledge and/or were losing money like crazy using his information.

    If there was a way to use TD's info, not just his own altering of games, in order to have a better idea of who would win based on what ref worked the game, then that's essentially a "fix", meaning that the rules and regulations of the game (which includes refs) alters the outcome based on which player or team is playing.

    Ref A and Lebron, Cleveland wins.
    Ref B and Lebron, everything else the same, Cleveland loses.


    That sounds pretty widespread and damning to me. It also provides a very clear "how could he do it" to the question of Stern fixing games. Motivation has never been an issue with that conspiracy, it had more to do with how could he pull it off even if he wanted to. Now we know, just like the gamblers he needed only to know the dynamics between certain refs and certain players, then schedule assignments that were "favorable" (but not certain) for the outcome he most wanted.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But Tom, that still substantiates my point, it OPENLY ADMITS that the game is biased by WHICH ref is working that night.
    I'm not saying that any of the refs other than Donaghy were biased in any underhanded way at all.

    The simplest way to use the refs schedule information is to know what refs just naturally have a "quick whistle" and which ones do not. Just because a ref has a tendency to call the game closely or call it loosely doesn't mean he is biased toward favoring one team. But a gambler can use the scheduling information to determine whether, based on the composition of the teams playing, an abnormally high scoring or a low scoring game would be expected.

    If the Rockets are playing the Suns last year, and I know that the ref crew "calls it tight" then I would think that Houston's tendency to want to slow down Phoenix by playing physical D won't be likely to work. I'd expect more high scoring than if the crew "lets them play" and has a slow whistle.

    In my example, there was nothing crooked about the officiating. What was crooked was knowing in advance who was doing the officiating and then using information about their natural tendencies to make a buck.

  12. #12
    Banned Big Smooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,204

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What happened to all of you who were sure that this was widespread and that Donaghy was only the beginning
    ESPN just reported Donaghy as part of his plea is going to provide the names of up to 20 other referees who are involved in gambling.

  13. #13
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What happened to all of you who were sure that this was widespread and that Donaghy was only the beginning
    Haha, yeah, what Big S. said. I think what happened to all of them was that they were right...

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2979605
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  14. #14
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,705

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha, yeah, what Big S. said. I think what happened to all of them was that they were right...

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2979605
    Wow, he's actually going to say that a ref actually went to a casino. That will end the NBA as we know it. That article says nothing

    I'll re-state what I said a few weeks back when this thing broke - There will not be any other refs implicated as far as gambling on NBA games in which they worked. I guarantee it

  15. #15
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,949

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Anybody else think Donaghy was up late last night, bummed about how his life had gone, and started surfing. Then he came across what UB wrote, and said, "I'll show him. I'll show 'em all!"

    Nice job Buck.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  16. #16
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,949

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, he's actually going to say that a ref actually went to a casino. That will end the NBA as we know it. That article says nothing

    I'll re-state what I said a few weeks back when this thing broke - There will not be any other refs implicated as far as gambling on NBA games in which they worked. I guarantee it
    Yeah, but what's Stern gonna do since gambling in any form (besides that stupid racetrack clause) is not only prohibited, but he made a big deal out if it, too.

    "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  17. #17
    Banned Big Smooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,204

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, he's actually going to say that a ref actually went to a casino. That will end the NBA as we know it. That article says nothing

    I'll re-state what I said a few weeks back when this thing broke - There will not be any other refs implicated as far as gambling on NBA games in which they worked. I guarantee it
    So it means nothing that perhaps 20 of these guys have blatantly violated one of the terms of their employment as NBA officials? If they have no problem crossing that line then who knows what other lines they might cross.

    There is a very good reason that leagues like the NBA forbid the officials from these various forms of gambling because it only makes them more vulnerable to the type of behavior exhibited by Donaghy. If that doesn't bother you then I really don't know what else to say. Wow.

  18. #18
    Member circlecitysportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    579
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Mathis should just keep his mouth closed.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0eDCr4NVbE

  19. #19
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,705

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So it means nothing that perhaps 20 of these guys have blatantly violated one of the terms of their employment as NBA officials? If they have no problem crossing that line then who knows what other lines they might cross.

    There is a very good reason that leagues like the NBA forbid the officials from these various forms of gambling because it only makes them more vulnerable to the type of behavior exhibited by Donaghy. If that doesn't bother you then I really don't know what else to say. Wow.
    Donaghy might even say that one of the refs actually entered a $5.00 NCAA basketball pool. Oh the horror

  20. #20
    Banned Big Smooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,204

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Donaghy might even say that one of the refs actually entered a $5.00 NCAA basketball pool. Oh the horror
    I had gotten the impression it was something a bit more than that but what do I know?

    Refs are just shady characters, I put nothing past them.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Donaghy might even say that one of the refs actually entered a $5.00 NCAA basketball pool. Oh the horror

    Uncle B. I saw a poster who had a good point on another thread/message board.

    Why would the FBI give a rats rear-end whether the officials are living up to their collecitve bargaining agreement with the NBA? That's the NBA's business, not the FBI's. The FBI would rather focus on the next Enron, than help some stupid sports league police itself.

    So, it must be something more than these officials playing Bingo in Atlantic City.

  22. #22
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,705

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerstroll View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uncle B. I saw a poster who had a good point on another thread/message board.

    Why would the FBI give a rats rear-end whether the officials are living up to their collecitve bargaining agreement with the NBA? That's the NBA's business, not the FBI's. The FBI would rather focus on the next Enron, than help some stupid sports league police itself.

    So, it must be something more than these officials playing Bingo in Atlantic City.
    Well if that ESPN article is what we are basing all this on, then re-read what it says. "The offenses might not include any criminal activity, but could draw the ire of NBA commissioner David Stern,

    Although aren't NCAA basketball pools technically illegal.

    B. Smooth, I don't believe NBA refs are shady characters - probably just like any other profession, some very nice good guys and some shady, but no more so then any other profession

  23. #23
    Wake me up next season.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not really where I want to be.
    Posts
    1,356
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But Tom, that still substantiates my point, it OPENLY ADMITS that the game is biased by WHICH ref is working that night. Okay, so you say all the gamblers knew and TD just needed to get them the schedule. How is this better than if he was the one telling them which refs affected which players?

    The point is that refs so clearly affect the games of some players that you could MAKE A SMART BET ON IT. Doesn't matter who is guilty of what, who in the gambling chain knew what, it means the PRODUCT IS F'D UP!

    Unless I missed the part where the gamblers weren't interested in TDs knowledge and/or were losing money like crazy using his information.

    If there was a way to use TD's info, not just his own altering of games, in order to have a better idea of who would win based on what ref worked the game, then that's essentially a "fix", meaning that the rules and regulations of the game (which includes refs) alters the outcome based on which player or team is playing.

    Ref A and Lebron, Cleveland wins.
    Ref B and Lebron, everything else the same, Cleveland loses.

    That sounds pretty widespread and damning to me. It also provides a very clear "how could he do it" to the question of Stern fixing games. Motivation has never been an issue with that conspiracy, it had more to do with how could he pull it off even if he wanted to. Now we know, just like the gamblers he needed only to know the dynamics between certain refs and certain players, then schedule assignments that were "favorable" (but not certain) for the outcome he most wanted.


    This is all giving me alot more appreciation (and sympathy) for what
    Coaches have to deal with when games are being officiated by certain
    Refs. When Coaches speak out too loudly about poor or biased officiating
    they are sanctioned, but it has become increasingly clear that their
    criticism of the officials is justified.

    I would love to see a thread by t-bird from a Coach's perspective
    addressing the art of "working" the Refs, and how much it would affect
    or alter a gameplan based on knowledge of Ref's tendancies.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,637

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well at least he aint a rat...
    So in other words, if he has information that others have tarnished the game, he is a better person for not trying to help eliminate that?

    Something about that line of thought does not sit well with me.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Star: Ex-Ref Donaghy Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well if that ESPN article is what we are basing all this on, then re-read what it says. "The offenses might not include any criminal activity, but could draw the ire of NBA commissioner David Stern,

    Although aren't NCAA basketball pools technically illegal.

    B. Smooth, I don't believe NBA refs are shady characters - probably just like any other profession, some very nice good guys and some shady, but no more so then any other profession
    You're right regarding what the article actually says...and that's the gold standard as far as taking info out oof this situation. All I'm saying is that having government officials involved is like treating a hangnail with radiation therapy. Stern should be the one investigaing yhis internlly, not government officials. Just what I'm getting out of the story...and maybe that's more than thre info allows.

Similar Threads

  1. Report: Embattled NBA ref Donaghy to plead guilty [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 09:40 AM
  2. Donaghy to plead guilty to betting on games (msnbc)
    By Slick Pinkham in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 10:31 PM
  3. Interesting article NBA officiating - not about Donaghy
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 06:14 PM
  4. Lawyer: Donaghy classmate expects indictment [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-27-2007, 07:40 PM
  5. Stern: Donaghy only referee believed to have bet [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 12:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •