Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Josh Powell signs with the Clippers

  1. #1
    Tyrant maragin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Josh Powell signs with the Clippers

    Clippers add frontcourt depth by signing forward Josh Powell
    August 14, 2007
    LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The Clippers added frontcourt depth Tuesday by signing former North Carolina State forward Josh Powell.

    Elton Brand, the Clippers' starting power forward, ruptured his left Achilles tendon earlier this month and is expected to be sidelined for the first several months of the season.

    The 6-foot-9, 235-pound Powell averaged 3.1 points and 2.4 rebounds last season while playing in 37 games for the Indiana Pacers and Golden State Warriors. He averaged 3.0 points and 2.2 rebounds in 37 games for the Dallas Mavericks as a rookie in the 2005-06 season.

    The 23-year-old averaged 10.8 points and 9.8 rebounds in five games for Golden State's team in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas last month before the Warriors made him an unrestricted free agent July 20.

    --------------

    Found here - http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

  2. #2
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Josh Powell signs with the Clippers

    Wow...Josh Powell is a HUGE fantasy sleeper...

  3. #3
    Gotta Play Big BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,430

    Default Re: Josh Powell signs with the Clippers

    I really thought Powell had a solid, well rounded game and could have been a good backup to JO. Good defender, efficient scorer, good rebounder...etc.

    Is Ike really a better player?

  4. #4
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Josh Powell signs with the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really thought Powell had a solid, well rounded game and could have been a good backup to JO. Good defender, efficient scorer, good rebounder...etc.

    Is Ike really a better player?
    For our needs...probably not. We need a decent backup. I think Ike has "decent starter" written all over him. Thus, we have one franchise guy at PF and one "decent starter" backing him up. Slightly unnecessary.

  5. #5
    Gotta Play Big BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,430

    Default Re: Josh Powell signs with the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For our needs...probably not. We need a decent backup. I think Ike has "decent starter" written all over him. Thus, we have one franchise guy at PF and one "decent starter" backing him up. Slightly unnecessary.
    Agreed. I do understand why the Pacers view Ike more favorably....but unless we deal JO...which appears less likely now....I think Powell would serve our needs better...as you say.

    However, if Ike puts two and two together this season, I may spin on a dime. I think this coming season will be a crucial year in his career.

  6. #6
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Josh Powell signs with the Clippers

    Judging Jermaine's injury history, having a decent starter backing up our All-Star PF isn't a bad idea.

  7. #7
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,458

    Default Re: Josh Powell signs with the Clippers

    He's just a younger, less-talented James Singleton.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,312

    Default Re: Josh Powell signs with the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For our needs...probably not. We need a decent backup. I think Ike has "decent starter" written all over him. Thus, we have one franchise guy at PF and one "decent starter" backing him up. Slightly unnecessary.
    Unless you are preparing to not have JO in the near future (1-2 years).

  9. #9
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,843

    Default Re: Josh Powell signs with the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really thought Powell had a solid, well rounded game and could have been a good backup to JO. Good defender, efficient scorer, good rebounder...etc.

    Is Ike really a better player?
    Yes Ike has a chance to be a real scorer in the NBA. Powell does not have that chance. And what I mean by a real scorer, is someone who you can get the ball to and good things will happen. Someone other teams have to game plan for, and someone who doesn't need to play off of his teammates to get a decent shot.

    There is a big difference between the two players

  10. #10
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Josh Powell signs with the Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes Ike has a chance to be a real scorer in the NBA. Powell does not have that chance. And what I mean by a real scorer, is someone who you can get the ball to and good things will happen. Someone other teams have to game plan for, and someone who doesn't need to play off of his teammates to get a decent shot.

    There is a big difference between the two players


    Ikechukwu Somtochukwu Diogu is to Josh Powell as Josh Howard is to Danny Granger.

    Biiiiiiig gap in both cases.

Similar Threads

  1. Josh Powell spends night in hospital after collision
    By Brian in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 10:20 PM
  2. Kaman signs extension with Clippers (ESPN.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-29-2006, 01:19 AM
  3. Josh Powell = Solid
    By McKeyFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 01:16 PM
  4. Murray signs on for second stint with Clippers (ESPN.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 05:40 PM
  5. Some of my favorite Josh Smith Cards...
    By JSmoove in forum Tickets & Trades
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 01:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •