Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does silence mean big Bulls trade on horizon?

Default Does silence mean big Bulls trade on horizon?

JO mentioned

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_23025.shtml

By Joel Brigham
    for HOOPSWORLD.com
    Aug 14, 2007, 08:23

The most exciting thing in professional sports is when a marquee players changes teams. For example, what news this offseason has been bigger than Boston’s acquisition of Kevin Garnett? Early last season every NBA fan on the globe spent countless hours reading about potential destinations for Allen Iverson. Even the more recent trades involving Ray Allen, Jason Richardson, and Zach Randolph garnered enough interest to power about 100 straight hours of TV analysis about the deals.

Yet fans still want more big moves, and we in the Chicago media can’t help but to prod the ol’ cow. Or Bull, if you will.

And that’s where big names like Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol keep showing up. Chicago is perhaps the deepest team in the league, going a legitimate two players deep at nearly every position, and a majority of those promising guys are in their low-to-mid twenties and relatively inexpensive. This is why the Bulls are continually mentioned as the team in the best position to make the next big deal.

The problem is that Chicago has shown nothing but reluctance in making so huge a transaction. Bulls GM John Paxson is a known conservative on the trading front and has shown a strong commitment to retaining the core he put together in the post-Krause era. He’s concerned about maintaining what he’s worked so hard to build, but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t take a superstar at a bargain price. He’s just not giving up 80% of his promising core for Kobe.

He’s also probably not snagging Gasol, who seems more and more content with the moves new Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace has made in Memphis over the offseason, perhaps most notably by adding Gasol’s good buddy Juan Carlos Navarro.

So with those two big names out of the picture, who’s left?

How about Jermaine O’Neal?

Teams are constructed to win championships, and with Ben Wallace only getting older, would it be impossible to envision Chicago putting a package together for one of the league’s best big men? His contract is similarly large as Kobe’s, but the amount of talent—salary aside—needed to consummate a deal for O’Neal would be considerably less than what it would take to get the game’s best out of Los Angeles.

Couldn’t the Bulls trump offers by L.A. and New Jersey for the Pacers’ star? With Indiana looking to rebuild, would a package centering around Andres Nocioni, Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefolosha, and/or Chris Duhon be so horrible? Joe Smith and Joakim Noah could serve as interchangeable parts as well. Why wouldn’t either team want to do this?

It wasn’t long ago that Sports Illustrated ran a photoshopped image of Jermaine in a Bulls uniform, yet the rumors of O’Neal to the Windy City seem to have faded over the last year or two. The Bulls have done business with Indiana before—most notably in a deal that sent Ron Artest and Brad Miller to Indy for Jalen Rose—so it’s not like the two organizations are against making an inter-divisional trade.

It’s not that the Bulls necessarily need to make a move; in fact they’re a favorite in the East as they are. But what’s to stop them from becoming a dark horse in the Jermaine Sweepstakes and really solidifying themselves as an immediate championship contender? It’s been such an exciting summer already; why not add one more cherry to the top of the sundae?

Newslines
    Sam Smith, Chicago Tribune - Hinrich was a somewhat reluctant participant from the beginning, and USA Basketball announced Monday that he was leaving the team, which begins training for the FIBA Tournament of the Americas on Wednesday in Las Vegas. Also withdrawing were Shane Battier and Greg Oden. More.

Banned

Default Re: Does silence mean big Bulls trade on horizon?

yes, please....

but i don't see a way to make the salaries work without including nocioni, who's a small forward with a large contract.

Andres Nocioni, Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefolosha, and/or Chris Duhon

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Not even close to enough.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not even close to enough.
    That's an awfully kind way of putting it. In my mind, it's an insult to Jermaine O'Neal and Pacer fans everywhere.

Quality for quantity is never a good idea

Nocioni can't be traded until Dec or Jan anyway, right? And besides, he'd be difficult to trade at that point being BYC.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh they definitely have talent worth pursuing. Give me Chris Duhon, Tyrus Thomas, Joe Smith, and 1st round pick.

Would they crush this year, yeah, but they were most likely going to do that anyway. But I'd actually be excited about the next few seasons, something that I haven't done in a while.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Andres Nocioni, Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefolosha, and/or Chris Duhon

ABSOLUTELY NOT.
    Yeah this trade is pretty atrocius. Especially considering that Danny is better than Nocioni anyways. And Ty Thomas is far from a sure thing. Thabo and Duhon? Filler at best. Definetely should not be this important to a JO deal. If the Bulls wanna get JO they have to call us up offering Gordon or if they are really feeling generous Hinrich.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Quality for quantity is never a good idea
    Unless the "Quality" is extremely overrated, aging, injury-prone, and overpaid.

No Ben Gordon, then no further discussions. Gordon or Hinrich would have to be the main piece, with Noah or Thomas.

But Ben Wallace would have to be involved to match salaries, so I say...

NO THANKS!

They won't include Luol or Heinrich and I'm not interested in anything else on their roster.

Nope.

Sports Logo

I'm waiting for Grace to respond...but I'm guessing that his eyes are bleeding right now after reading that.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

The silence means the horse is dead...stop beating it.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I'm waiting for Grace to respond...but I'm guessing that his eyes are bleeding right now after reading that.
    Yeah, hopefully he doesn't come in here and read it. He doesn't deserve to have that kind of pain inflicted on him........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Grace is a girl.

Seriously, I'd rather have Bynum and JC Superstar than that crap. Talk about a homer trade.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

woman without a team

Grace is a girl.

I'm glad somebody noticed.

My eyes might bleed if I thought there was a chance in hell of anything happening.

Grace is a girl.
    So is LoneGranger.

Yeah, I don't see the Bulls wanting to add the salary.

On a separate note...MagicRat, just randomly, Jungleland just started playing on my iPod (it's on shuffle...isn't that a co inky dink?)

It is the second Tuesday of the month, right? Well that means that it must be time for Sam to sling poo against the wall to see if it sticks.

While I gladly advocate moving O'Neal, if we talk to the Bulls and the names Hinrich or Gordon are not involved then no thanks.

Although to be honest I would prefer this crap trade to the N.J. trade.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Couldn’t the Bulls trump offers by L.A. and New Jersey for the Pacers’ star? With Indiana looking to rebuild, would a package centering around Andres Nocioni, Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefolosha, and/or Chris Duhon be so horrible? Joe Smith and Joakim Noah could serve as interchangeable parts as well. Why wouldn’t either team want to do this?

And what if I concoted a trade that made absolutely no sense for either team? And what if I wrote every question in a whole paragraph as a question?

A) It's a columnest

B) It's his "what if"

C) It's Hoopsworld

I'm amazed this thread has so many replies. I guess it's because of how dead things are right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    So is LoneGranger.
    ...and the jury is still out on Joakim Noah.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    So is LoneGranger.
    I will not stoop to your level, that is, the level of an disgruntled, sissy dwarf.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I will not stoop to your level, that is, the level of an disgruntled, sissy dwarf.
    Jamaal Tinsley is the topic of another thread.