Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What if... Troy Murphy breaks out

Banned

Default What if... Troy Murphy breaks out

I was just looking at the new Roster Section -- wonderful job Mal -- and thought to myself, "what if..."

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...oster2008.html

Just have a look there. In my view we have a guy who is only one season removed from averaging a double double, something he has done three times in his career. We have a big man who can take it out to the 3pt range and put the ball on the floor. What if Troy Murphy starts earning that contract!?

Playing under Jim O'Brien isn't going to hurt Troy. In fact I think its going to be very good for him. I know there is a thread out there talking about Tinsley having a breakout year, I think Troy Murphy is another player worth a little buzz.

Of course I can just hear it now... 'but what about his defense'! Please, I can make a lot of good players look crappy by saying that. Lets talk about what a player does well for the team.

Default Re: What if... Troy Murphy breaks out

Are you kidding? Murph breaking out? What are you smoking?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by madison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you kidding? Murph breaking out? What are you smoking?
    Yeah nice reply.

Its like this, he is a guy who can average a double\double. He is returning to the weight at which he used to accomplish that task. He is going to be playing for a coach who will utilize his particular skill set very well. And while it might not be the popular, whiny talk about Troy, I think he is going to be very good this season, period.

You mean acne? Because I'm pretty sure the guy washes his face frequently.
    But seriously, that's why I've stopped being so gung-ho about a Murphy trade in the last couple weeks. A man can hope.

That's for all the people who joked about Tinsley and jail.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 08-13-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Think whatever you want. I had the displeasure of watching every home game he played in a Pacer uniform. He can't handle the ball in the open court. Can't dribble and acts surprised when a pass bounces off his chest. He's not much of three point shooter, either, even when there's a double on JO and he's wide open. His offensive rebounding his awful because he's camped at the 3-point line. Then, there's his defense. I should say, there's his lack of defense. He can't guard any of the better C's in the league. Doesn't even try. There's a reason Foster started after Rick got a look at TM -- he doesn't rebound well (positioning is everything) and he didn't play D. Murph is a big, slow guy with an OK offensive game at 20 feet. Whoop-T-Do!

Mood

I think it's plausible, and if it does happen, things get interesting.

Mood

He's not much of three point shooter, either,
    40% from the 3 isn't much to you?

Banned

Think whatever you want. I had the displeasure of watching every home game he played in a Pacer uniform. He can't handle the ball in the open court. Can't dribble and acts surprised when a pass bounces off his chest. He's not much of three point shooter, either, even when there's a double on JO and he's wide open. His offensive rebounding his awful because he's camped at the 3-point line. Then, there's his defense. I should say, there's his lack of defense. He can't guard any of the better C's in the league. Doesn't even try. There's a reason Foster started after Rick got a look at TM -- he doesn't rebound well (positioning is everything) and he didn't play D. Murph is a big, slow guy with an OK offensive game at 20 feet. Whoop-T-Do!
    So is there a Pacer player you aren't going to bash on this board?

40% from the 3-line is good. That would be wonderful if he was playing as a shooting guard. The trouble with 6-11 guys shooting 40% threes is there's no way they can follow up on the boards 60% of the time. That's the job of a center, which is what they pay him to play. I'd much rather he was shooting 60% at the rim. Now THAT would help take some of the pressure off of JO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I think it's plausible, and if it does happen, things get interesting.
    See thats my thoughts on this too. If he gives us 12-15 points and 9-10 rebounds a game thats pretty good. Add to the fact that one of the other teams bigs is going to have to guard him away from the post.

Banned

I'd much rather he was shooting 60% at the rim. Now THAT would help take some of the pressure off of JO.
    This makes more sense to me. I just don't know if he is a guy who can work the post like that, is he?

Murphy would be the player that I'd vote as least likely to have a break out year. He may get the minutes at the beginning of the season, but I have to think the coaching staff will be too frustrated with his effort on D to keep giving him the P.T.

Mood

40% from the 3-line is good. That would be wonderful if he was playing as a shooting guard. The trouble with 6-11 guys shooting 40% threes is there's no way they can follow up on the boards 60% of the time. That's the job of a center, which is what they pay him to play. I'd much rather he was shooting 60% at the rim. Now THAT would help take some of the pressure off of JO.
    Typically, long shots result in long rebounds.

I hope we see a more physical version. The guy just needs to hang with Barry Bonds for the summer and come back 20lbs heavier. Seriously, he would be a 20/10 banger with a solid shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobol Sam View Post
    This makes more sense to me. I just don't know if he is a guy who can work the post like that, is he?
    In a word: No

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    In a word: No
    Precisely. So I think we should use him in a way that maximizes his skills rather than expect him to become a player he isn't.

The other thing is that I remember when this guy put a letter into the Indy Star. He strikes me as a good guy, not a guy who lacks effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobol Sam View Post
    Precisely. So I think we should use him in a way that maximizes his skills rather than expect him to become a player he isn't.

The other thing is that I remember when this guy put a letter into the Indy Star. He strikes me as a good guy, not a guy who lacks effort.
    Murphy was always a good guy in GS. Never got in any kind of trouble. He worked hard every summer. Was in the gym all the time. Problem is, for all the time he spent in the gym, he STILL had below average athleticism and stamina. Heck, for all I know, all the hours he spent working out might be partially to blame for his foot/heel problems.

He doesn't put in a lot of effort defensively (on giving help defense anyways), but he does work hard chasing after rebounds. There was an incident at the end of one year where his rebounding average sat right at 10.0 and he had a clause in his shoe deal that would pay him more $ if he averaged a double double. In the last game of the year, he sat out the game, probably to protect that average. I don't blame him, as the season was already long over and I probably would have done the same thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the letter was at the urging of Pacer organization, who wanted to remind all the fans that he wasn't Stephen Jackson.

d c-

He better learn to put some effort into 'help defense' or he'll have
    Harter pulling out what little hair he's got left. Or at least he will
    until he's perched on the bench next too him full time.

I think there's a better chance Murphy has a breakout year under OBrien than Tinsley.

I'm not sure Tinsley's games of 'oneupsmanship' will play any better with OBrien than they did with Carlisle. Actually, I think they will likely be met with a trip to the bench (which is something Carlisle didn't do). Maybe that 'pine time' will make a difference in Tinsley so maybe in the long run OBrien will get something done with him. OTOH, Murphy might fit in quite well with OBrien's plans and I do think he'll keep his head in the bigger picture of each game and the system. Tinsley... not so much.

Not that I'm getting my hopes up too much either way but I feel better about Murphy than I do Tinsley.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

With that money hes' making he better have some break out season!!

Banned

So if he returns to double double quality, where does that put the Pacers next year? Better than 4th in the central?

LOL

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    LOL

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

i do think that murph will put up career numbers this season. i wouldn't be surprised to see murph being a featured player in obie's offense.

that said, i don't see him as a long term starter. he shoots pretty well, and his rebounding is decent. that allows him to put up numbers in the all-important ppg and rpg sections of the stat sheet, but beyond that, he's just not very good. he's a guy who could start in certain circumstances, but on the whole his best role seems to be off the bench.

what kind of "breaking out" would make me want to keep him - improvement all around, but especially on his one-on-one defense OR great improvement in his good skill, e.g. putting up dirk-like 20+ ppg with ~50% fg. neither is likely to happen at this stage of his career i think.

I'd much rather he was shooting 60% at the rim.
    Naptown's about to bust in here like a Kansas tornado and point out that hitting 40% on 100 3FAs will give you 120 points, as will 60% on 100 2FAs. So it's even.

But there aren't very many people in the NBA who can score 10ppg on 60% shooting. Two, in fact: Dwight Howard and David Lee. Knocking Murph for his weaknesses is fine (I do it all the time) but don't knock him for not being Dwight Howard.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!