Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JO Q&A with Conrad

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a lot of thoughts about those comments ( ) but figured that PD would have a collective heart attack if I went after them.

That certainly sounded like the #1 reason I had wanted Carlisle fired for a long time - that's no way to have a relationship with your PG.
    I can agree actually, but the results just paint a totally different picture.

If JO was my kid telling me a story about how the lamp got broke I'd need some proof still since the story doesn't match the results. I'm sure he's very favorable in his views of Isiah, but somehow the worse coaching by Rick got them farther? Something doesn't add up.

JO's angle will look a lot better if this team rolls along fairly well under JOB...but then since I hold things to results that is obviously true. If JOB wins at a much better rate with this group then I'd quickly concede that at least for these players he's a better coach and it's good they moved Rick.

But if this is more 30-35 wins stuff then it proves that it wasn't Rick after all, despite JO's POV on the subject.

The good news is that it can get a definite answer one way or the other, at least IMO.

And I noted that some of what JO has said made sense so I'm not discounting that he's correct in the least. Just that 61 wins doing things "the wrong way" is hard for me to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Does Haterade make a Lemon Ice flavor, because I was heart-broken when I found out that Gatorade had discontinued it...?
    No!!!! ****, good thing I don't march anymore.

Anyway, this article was very enjoyable, right up until Jermaine trotted out his same-old song-and-dance about needing another Big. God, why does he have to be such a ****ing pussy about playing the 5? Maybe our Mystery PF can teach him to man-up.

I want to believe everything will magically be better under Dick and Jimmy, but when I objectively look at the roster, I don't see it. The only player I see it really impacting (thanks Jay) is Tinsley. If he steps up and plays great, that's wonderful, but it doesn't change the fact that a team with Jamaal Tinsley as it's second-best player isn't going anywhere.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think Jamaal has ever been our second best player. Granger and Dunleavy ARE better. But that's why I would cringe when he'd be used as the #2 scoring option, even post-trade.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

The Q&A did make me feel a ton better about JO and the team in general. JO is starting to take that leadership role and run with it. Hopefully this will be the year he takes control. I have been thinking about JT and I agree that he should do better next year with some freedom to be creative and flexible. RC did take a bit of a beating in general, but in my opinion some was justified.

When the trade rumors first came out I was right there with a lot of people thinking the LO/Bynum trade was a great deal, but now I am less infatuated with the idea. LO=attitude/Bynum= a maybe good one day. Right now we have a healthy and working hard JO; a JT who will have some imput on what type of play he has to do; a year older, stronger and better DG, Ike, Shawn, Quis and DH and a Dun and Murph who has worked all off season to improve their games. We have a good deal of talent and depth. We may not have a big three, but what happens if 2 of those guys go down.

Everyone is acting like we are Memphis or Atlanta. Remember we were fighting for the 4th seed before the trade. JOB has brought a lot of enthusiasm and excitement to the players and you can see they are buying into his plan which is the most important thing.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He had the questions to this interview long before it actually happened, or it didn't take place in person.

JO has always said the right thing. Remember when he talked about how him and Ron were getting along great and how Ron started to go bowling with him and stuff? Painted it like they were the best of pals and the chemistry would be great.

Some of you are recognizing that's its damage control, yet getting wrapped up in what he said. You know it's supposed to be a fluff piece and for him to say what you want to hear. It's not his true beliefs if it's a spin piece.

One major problem I've had is all this talk about how he was saying "if the Pacers rebuild, I want traded." Well now he's saying he believes that they aren't rebuilding, but retooling with guys that compliment his skill set.

Then why in the freaking world would you even need to say anything about rebuilding? Obviously you know it's not happening this offseason, and there's no point in starting to talk about next offseason, so what's the point?

I think he just wants out of Indiana, and using the rebuilding excuse was the easiest to come up with. I think he sees this team as a #7 seed or lower and doesn't want to fight tooth and nail to just get into the playoffs.

I just can't get all brightened up to read something I could have predicted he would say. He's just spinning the situation, and isn't being truthful (IMHO).

I'm very glad that JO was able to withstand the withering, hard-hitting investigative journalism of Conrad Brunner. That he was able to do so against such an antagonist would certainly make me feel better if I was a Pacers fan.

BTW - what are the odds that JO's agent sent Conrad the questions in advance?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it was more of TPTB sent JO and Conrad both the questions and answers in advance.

I don't care that it was a PR piece. The Pacers haven't even been good at PR in recent years.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I think it was more of TPTB sent JO and Conrad both the questions and answers in advance.

I don't care that it was a PR piece. The Pacers haven't even been good at PR in recent years.
    What was the thing about PS&E hiring a branding firm a couple weeks back? Maybe the last few days have all been their handiwork.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    The Q&A did make me feel a ton better about JO and the team in general. JO is starting to take that leadership role and run with it.
    STARTING???!!!

Where have you been?

JO has been tooting his horn and thumping his chest for four years about what a great leader he is and how he's going to this, and how he's going to do that...blah blah blah blah blah....

I'm so sick of hearing his hollow boasts I'm about to stick a fork in my eye.

Note to JO: Just SHOW me how great you are, cuz I'm not interested in hearing you TELL me.
    Last edited by Roy Munson; 08-09-2007 at 04:08 PM.

What else can he do but talk during the off-season? There would have been hell to paid if he hadn't said anything after that damning espn article.

As a wise, wise man once told me: Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Heh... after reading the various responses to this whole fiasco over the past couple of days, I'm convinced that there's nothing leadership or the team could do at this point to satisfy some fans. For those of you out there just ticked with the team, why not wait and allow the games to be played? I suspect that the bar has been set so low with some of you, that they could do nothing but pleasantly surprise.

Me personally? I'm actually happy that this incident happened. In the backlash (and responses) to all of this, we've actually learned quite a lot about what's been going on in the off season, which is good to hear about. It should be abundantly clear that we're not moving JO any time soon, and that the leadership (and team for that matter) believes they are better than they appeared last year. Everyone acts like all of the responses and what is said in public is a large conspiracy to hide the fact that noone wants to be here in Indianapolis to play for the poor, miserable Pacers.

Do some of you have that much of an inferiority complex for your team and city?