Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 62

Thread: JO Q&A with Conrad

  1. #26
    Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,889
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Really I don't see this team being better than .500 at the end of this season. Unless everyone else can take the weight off J.O. If J.O has to carry this team then he's just gonna be injured again.

    Trading him may not be the ideal thing to do but at least their would be no expectations or disappointment. I just don't see J.O's trade value going any higher than it is right now. Unless he starts doing 20pointts , 20 Rebounds , a night and consistently on a nightly basis. Not just a few games here and there and then sputter , sputter.

  2. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bloomington IN
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    The interview is welcome and well done. It seems sincere. Even if it's just damage control. For me, the interesting thing is that JO believes the Pacers of last season are better than their record, and wonders to behold, he thinks the moves made in the off-season for second tier players actually matter. I'm still in the skeptical camp. I don't think a team can be competitive without chemistry, but I don't think it's enough. Talent matters, too, and outside of JO and DG, we're not competitive at any other position. Oh, yes. Our bench is not a repository of hidden talent, either. JO says the new coach is going to make a big difference. Really? It seems a bit much to expect that a guy who's well into his third decade of coaching with a mediocre record has a style to unleash that converts below average talent into a conference champion. Miracles do happen, of course. But it seems to me we already had our big day last February with the Colts. Our luck may be all used up for awhile.

  3. #28
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,967

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Fantastic interview.

    Btw, reading this...

    The biggest misconception about me running is that we have played in a very structured system over the last four years. When we take the ball out, the first thing we do is look over to the sideline for the play. You cannot run and there's no need to run if they're calling every play. And I was always designated to take the ball out. So when I get downcourt, everybody's already there. Those are two significant things. If we run more, the defense can't set up on me. If we walk the ball down and run set plays, it's easier to guard me, it's easier to beat up on me, to double- and triple-team me. I don't want to be in that position. I want to be in the position where we can get easy transition points. Our fast-break points were so low last year it was unbelievable. If we can get 18 to 20 points a game off transition, that'd be great. That'd be big for us.


    Could this explain the infamous "8 games in" situation from last season?

  4. #29
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,967

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Quote Originally Posted by LAKERERIC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, your boy is staying. Your front office obviously does not want young players for JO. They want him to lead the young core they have already. Obviously, this could drag into the season. Most likely, the Pacers will not make the playoffs. When Diener and Rush is your offseason and your GM is bragging, you know there are problems. I think JO feels a certain sense of obligation to the fans there following the whole Detroit thing. If he wanted out, he could push harder. But he is backing off. Will he opt out? If the Pacers are a non-playoff team, this could mean a deadline deal. Obviously, that will depend on how your team looks and how Bynum and Crittenton look. Maybe the Lakers will completely balk at the deal if they are playing well and Bynum makes a nice leap. Maybe the Pacers feel even better that they did not make the deal because JO is mixing with the youth and they are right in the hunt. Maybe he gets traded after next year, which would probably knock the Lakers out because of the salaries involved. Or maybe he does leave some money on the table, opts out, and hopes to obtain some of that money down the road to go to a team that has a chance to win a ring. That possibility has to at least be on the minds of Bird and Walsh as it was with McHale and Taylor.
    Well, one thing that a lot of people seem to miss is that we were a pretty decent team post-trade until Quis went down, and it all fell apart from there. Part of my pessimism stems from the belief that Quis will not be able to stay healthy. But, if he can, I think we'll be better than people expect.

  5. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bloomington IN
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Wasn't Quis unhealthy his last season in Dallas, also?

  6. #31
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,967

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Quote Originally Posted by madison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasn't Quis unhealthy his last season in Dallas, also?
    Yes, which is why I'm pessimistic about his ability to stay healthy. But you never know.

  7. #32
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,190
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Wow. Some of you are trying to find a reason to hate on the Pacers.

    Here have another

  8. #33
    Member LG33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,934

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Does Haterade make a Lemon Ice flavor, because I was heart-broken when I found out that Gatorade had discontinued it...?

    But seriously, you have to be a bit skeptical at this point. I mean, I try not to be, but I am.

  9. #34
    Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,889
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Actions speak louder than words. Something J.O still hasn't learn after all these years.

  10. #35
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,190
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    I am a facts guy. So far there are no facts that said that JO wants out. But there are facts that he would like to stay. Damage control or He wants to stay?

    You people are taking the side of a reporter who was an intern last year over Donnie, Bird, and JO. Are you Pacer fans? Or absolute skeptics anything the Pacers come up with. Everything is a Conspiracy Theory. Now ever since that idiot ref got caught betting.

    Just because the Pacers had their first non-playoff season in over a decade doesn't mean that everything rumor or transaction is an attempt by Bird to destroy the earth. Stanko, Diener, and Rush are not the only changes we have had this summer. Do you remember that we got a new coach? 11 years olds think that it is only players that make the team.

    Pop, Riley, Brown, Jackson are coaches that made differences for their teams with the right players. We may be far off player and even coach wise. But you have to agree that we are in a better situation that mid-season last year. JOB is the difference this year. A rejuvenated JO is the difference this year. The lack of off court issues may be the difference this year (unless Tinsley decides to pull off a Pacman Jones triad of off court issues).

    You can suspect failure all you want. But it is beginning to look like people are looking for reasons to b1t(*.

  11. #36
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,967

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. Some of you are trying to find a reason to hate on the Pacers.

    Here have another
    Why would I want Haterade? Will I get a snazzy hat if I drink it?

  12. #37
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,603
    Mood

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    I have to agree with the old Hatorade feeling we have gotten lately about JO. I hope he retires a Pacer and think he is a good team leader, just not a vocal one. Reggie was a great leader and those are a very rare once in a 20 year time find. JO is a good leader, but it is unfair to compare leadership skills to him right now. I have to harp on the "that we need another shooter" and Reggie has not been contacted? Would he rather play in Boston or where he would be treated like a God.

    Rumor that JO is not a team player and has attitude issues? I was like WTH!JO does thing for our franchise and team that few others do. He takes the double and triple teams every night only to pass it out to the perimeter so he can hear a brick clank. Half of the time he gets the ball in a bad spot and with no time after our perimeter guy has lost his confidence. He then has to heave up a fade away jumper from 17 feet away. He gets to have to try to cover the slashing guard who just got by our o`le defense. Bottom line this guy is the best player we have and would be the best player on 75% of the other teams in the league.

    The last thing I wish we would quit letting that haterade spill on him about is his salary. Professional atheletes understand that their window to make money is a very small one indeed. The FO offered him the deal and he accepted it. I look at it like my job. They pay me a yearly salary and I do real well and get a nice raise. I get into a workplace accident that sidelines me for a few months, like a broken leg. I still get paid and when I come back I am treated the same. Shouldn't the same amount of respect be given for JO? Everyone says he is way overpaid, but I don't see it. He is not that far under KG, but his game is different. JO is a great scoring, defending, shot blocking, rebounding PF. KG is a great scoring, average defending, average shot blocking, atheletic in jumping and finishing, a little bit of o`le defense on the perimeter. They both are top 10 PF'd in the league right now, but they do very different things on the court. Is a perfect Apple taste any worse than a perfect orange?

  13. #38
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,190
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    as much as I would like less hating, lets not swing the pendulum 100% the other way.

    JO is not God. JO is not crap. He is somewhere in the middle.

  14. #39
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,967

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    as much as I would like less hating, lets not swing the pendulum 100% the other way.

    JO is not God. JO is not crap. He is somewhere in the middle.
    Maybe he's a crappy god?

  15. #40
    Member LG33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,934

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    as much as I would like less hating, lets not swing the pendulum 100% the other way.

    JO is not God. JO is not crap. He is somewhere in the middle.
    Isn't every human being? It's a large spectrum is what I'm saying here.

  16. #41
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    as much as I would like less hating, lets not swing the pendulum 100% the other way.

    JO is not God. JO is not crap. He is somewhere in the middle.
    Off to ignore. I have no use for any opinion not positioned well off the center, let alone laced with the slightest taint of reason. Disgusting.


    I just don't see how a guy like me who thinks this team is high lottery talent can hear this stuff and say "hmmm, perhaps" while other people remain livid. I mean I really did think I was the most pessimisstic person at PD after last season, but I'm not even in the ballpark I guess.


    I'm sure the 8 game rant was "this crap ain't working". Why? Because it wasn't, it was awful and sloppy and just a mess. Now after that they went back to "normal" rather than letting JO run more and not having to check with Rick, etc.

    So from his comments here it doesn't sound like he really got what he wanted after his rant, other than perhaps "if we are going to play your way then we shouldn't run at all, don't mix 2 different styles and waste our time".

    He does have a very legit opinion regarding his own running, he NEVER was the breakout guy. Of course there is a reason, it's called 2-3 blocks plus 1-2 charges taken every game because you are constantly asked to defend at the rim after someone gets beat. I do think that can change with Harter/JOB. If it does, if they can get stops without JO sitting deeper than anyone else on the court at the point of possession change (meaning closest to the Pacer baseline) then you could see some interesting, aggressive offense from JO.


    Shade - I agree on Quis. I have more faith in Dun finding his 3 ball than I do of Quis going 75 games next year. I would freaking love to be wrong on both counts because that would be a huge lift to the team.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 08-08-2007 at 11:59 PM.

  17. #42
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fantastic interview.

    Btw, reading this...



    Could this explain the infamous "8 games in" situation from last season?
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
    You know I always thought that having your best player take the ball in after made shots made no sense.

    I'm really eager to see this team play and they deserve to at least have up to the All-Star break before we render judgement. I think that with the additions of Rush and coach O'Brian coupled with a healthy JO and Daniels, the Pacers should be able to win at least 45 games. They'll definitely be more competitive this year than last.

  18. #43
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,190
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Shade your avatar is the best ever.

    Please do not quote me just on tat post alone. If you read my other (#35) you would understand that I am saying.....forget it

  19. #44
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,113

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    I'm just more interested to see TINSLEY and how he performs this year...from the interview that was the one thing that caught my eye the most...

  20. #45
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,706

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just more interested to see TINSLEY and how he performs this year...from the interview that was the one thing that caught my eye the most...
    After reading that interview, which I felt confirmed what I was thinking and reading anyway, I was amazed that no one latched on to the "beating" RC gets here, and most amazingly; the faith in Jamal Tinsley.

    Jo's words are almost a token of friendship and most certainly insight into JT's performance under RC and paint a totally different picture some here want to see.

    I hope they both stay and show us why some of us (MR, me) still have high hopes for them.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  21. #46
    10 - 32 - 50 31andonly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,587

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just more interested to see TINSLEY and how he performs this year...from the interview that was the one thing that caught my eye the most...
    Exactly, I think / hope / believe that he does well under a new coach and new system!
    He definitely has the talent to be one of the better point guards in the league..at least I think so from what I've seen in his first years in the NBA.
    Thank you Jeff.

  22. #47
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,113

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Quote Originally Posted by 31andonly View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly, I think / hope / believe that he does well under a new coach and new system!
    He definitely has the talent to be one of the better point guards in the league..at least I think so from what I've seen in his first years in the NBA.

    thats why he drove me insane the last season! he has the talent - but sometimes gets a bit too caught up with things and just loses it!

    As long as he doesn't turn the game into a one-on-one with the opposing point guard and gets his teammates involved - I like how he plays...

  23. #48
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    as much as I would like less hating, lets not swing the pendulum 100% the other way.

    JO is not God. JO is not crap. He is somewhere in the middle.
    By 'middle', is that the mean or the median?

    Hopefully, mean.




    // this is one of those jokes that was much funnier in my head...
    // You see, if JO is near the average (mean) between God and crap, he's
    // much, much closer to God, assuming God's infinite powers extend to the
    // basketball court -and that's pretty much what infinite powers do.
    // But if he's the median, he's right where he was.

    // See, I told you it was funnier in my head. I gotta stop posting
    // once I realize that.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  24. #49
    J.O. To The T.O. Oneal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    It's funny how people would trade JO for LO and Bynum. . I'm sure they are better leaders thn Jermaine!!

    /Note sarcasm

    I mean this guy plays hurt and gets no love from these fans onthe board!!! Some of you guys are ungrateful

  25. #50
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO Q&A with Conrad

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After reading that interview, which I felt confirmed what I was thinking and reading anyway, I was amazed that no one latched on to the "beating" RC gets here, and most amazingly; the faith in Jamal Tinsley.

    Jo's words are almost a token of friendship and most certainly insight into JT's performance under RC and paint a totally different picture some here want to see.

    I hope they both stay and show us why some of us (MR, me) still have high hopes for them.
    I had a lot of thoughts about those comments ( ) but figured that PD would have a collective heart attack if I went after them.

    That certainly sounded like the #1 reason I had wanted Carlisle fired for a long time - that's no way to have a relationship with your PG.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


Similar Threads

  1. Conrad: Can team be a contender again?
    By microwave_oven in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 06:19 PM
  2. Conrad: Should Jackson Be Go-To Guy In Clutch?
    By Raskolnikov in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-14-2006, 10:24 PM
  3. Conrad: How well, and soon, will Peja fit in?
    By Moses in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2006, 08:57 PM
  4. Conrad: How Well, And Soon, Will Peja Fit In?
    By Raskolnikov in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2006, 02:51 PM
  5. Conrad Brunner
    By Southside_Pacer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 02:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •