Default The official Jonathan Bender bandwagon

I've been waiting a long time for this.

Wait for it...

Told 'ya so.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The official Jonathan Bender bandwagon

It's going to take a helluva lot more than a couple of game for me to even say that Bender is worth keeping on the team. ed:

I have been on the Bender bandwagon from the beginning, he has unusual talent and it has taken him a long time to grow into his body and into his talent.

I never stepped off the bandwagon, but because of injuries, it was a quiet bandwagon of just a few diehards.

Mood

I was on the bandwagon all along... ed:
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

I'm already on it.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I'll jump on...He is playing too good to not eat crow even if he does fold up in the long run. I'm just glad we have him now when we need someone to step up with Ron going down for the remainder of the season.

In these last couple games, looks to me that Bender has brought a little more to the team then Al in his precious starter's role!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was pretty quiet on "that other board" but I was/am a big Bender guy. He does things out there that's so rare for a guy his height, that it would be horrid to give up on him now.

The fact that he can shoot lights out from just about anywhere, block shots, COMMAND double teams because he will give fits to just about every team for his height, speed, and shooting, and also he's getting a lot better on the defensive end and still has the great knack of blocking shots because of his quick jump.

I say if Bender keeps this up, then the idea during the off-season would be to trade Harrington for either a PG and/or center, because at some point the team is going to have to trust and give Bender a bigger role.

Also, I think Harrington's just about capped his potential for THIS team, he will never be the leader or even the permanent 2nd option on the floor; see how Bender was the one double teamed and Al was actually left open on a few occasions. Bender posts up more than Al does now it seems, and he actually passes on normal occasions. Call me a Bender supporter and still a non-believer in Al being anything more than a 3rd option for this team.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

trade al for a PG or C?......hmm how about we DONT and go with my dream lineup

PG-Tinsley
    SG-Artest
    SF-Harrington
    PF-Bender
    C-Jermaine

when artest comes back for playoffs...if we could start out with this lineup and have reggie for 3rd and 4th quarter omg i would be so happy cause i kno this lineup is the best one we could put out there
    No thanks on that "dream" line-up. I just imagine teams like New Orleans, Washington(who's bigs beat Indy earlier this year) and a few of the west teams just pounding it Kobe style into the Pacers. Plus practically the entire line-up is guys in unnatural positions; Artest at SG, Al at SF, and JO at C, not everybody in the starting line-up needs to be a star, and usually it's better if it isn't that way, everybofy would whine and probably have good cases for not getting the ball.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

duaneok66

wake me up when he does it against NO, Detroit, NJ, etc . . .

and why does everyone insist that Artest is a legitimate SG in this league????

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

His eighth freaking game of the season...10th of his career or so it seems, and he's drawing double teams!!! Oh, he's for real alright! It ain't just bandwagon fans that have noticed him.

:
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

I'm happy and surprised at what he is doing because it helps the Pacers. But . . . I'm with others on the board who want to see it over a period of time. Let's just say I'm, at least, waving to you all!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo

I am not on the bandwagon yet.

BUT my wife and daughter came in the room last night looking confused. They sat down looking at the TV and said I thought you hated Bender?

Clearly I was saying yeah Bender a couple of times last night. Also I found myself gushing about how great he could be. So in short I am starting to believe, I know the truth is out there but I still dont trust him.

Booger

Ok, I've never been on the Bender Bandwagon . . . but I'm willing to jump on for a while. My seatbelt is securely fastened though, and I reserve the right to hit the "Eject" button at any time.

Im on board!
    "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post."

--Jack Nicholson as Colonel Nathan Jessup in A Few Good Men

I've always been a Bender fan. It's amazing that this kid brings out such diverse viewpoints. Right now the Bender side is vocal, but the moment he has even one bad game, the anti-bender crowd will come out. I'm ready to accept him as an offensive role player coming off the bench for this team for now. Right now good things are happening for him because he is being aggressive and his shot is falling. He may or may never pan out to be worthy of his #5 selection, but he can do wonderful things for this team.

I can see it now.

It's friday night, toward the end of the 1st quarter. JB makes his first appearance in the game.

Baron Davis comes over to JB and says "JB, do you know this is a real game and not practice".

JB stunned, looks up into the seats and sees all the fans, immediately yells "Oh no" and falls to the floor in a withering, sobbing ball of humanity.

Thus ends the magic of Rick having convinced JB that every game is really just practice and bringing to a halt the rise to greatness of Jon Bender.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

You guys sure are doing alot of gushing.......just relax and get some perspective after 20 games or so. Remember we've been teased before w/Bender which is partially the reason so many are enamored every time he blinks twice and scratches his head at the same time. I'm hopefull but at the same time more than just a little guarded that this is his "coming out party".
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

Personally i've always liked JB's game, the coaching staff and people who know... have always talked highly of his game... it has always been about him growing into his body and raising his basketball IQ so he could play confidently...

ya...he has teased before....but he rarely got consistant minutes on a night-in-night-out basis....ya he's had injurey problems...**** happens to some players.

It's probably is too early to tell if he'll live up to some peoples expectations...if thats possible... but it isn't difficult to tell he's playing with an air of confidence he hadn't in the past ... he's helping this team win in the absence of an all-star Artest...and probably has more than a couple Eastern Conference GM's and coaches shaking their heads as Indy continues to evolve, get better, deeper, and with more weapons... without even making a trade.

I've been on all along. Just waiting for injuries and playing time opportunities to coincide.

I don't expect him to take over the team and be the superstar some people think he'll be, but I can definitely see him being a regular contributor. And that's more than we've ever gotten from him before.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

As I said yesterday, I like JB, I like what his potential is, hell I even have an autographed piece of Gym floor signed by JB framed on my wall, but until he does it consistently over a good amount of time, I'm not quite ready to crown him as a replacement for anyone yet. And by a good aount of time, I mean like the rest of the season AND the playoffs.

I want him to suceed and I'm impressed by his good games the last three, but I'm waiting cautiously to see if he can sustain this. Then I will be a full on Bandwagon passenger

You guys sure are doing alot of gushing.......just relax and get some perspective after 20 games or so. [color=red:aea72cfb26]Remember we've been teased before w/Bender which is partially the reason so many are enamored every time he blinks twice and scratches his head at the same time.[/color] I'm hopefull but at the same time more than just a little guarded that this is his "coming out party".
    No kidding. Talk about looking for any excuse to collective climb in the kid's jock and snuggle up to his nutsack, and it's a race to get there. :P

You all should listen to bmac. He makes a HELL of a lot of sense.

:
    Glad we agree Kiwi....it's the least you could do after knocking me out of fantasy league playoffs..
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When he was a rookie, I was originally on the JB bandwagon, before the dreadful years of 'JB as a shooting guard'.

Now, I won't be on the bandwagon again until he's playing full-time like a 7'0" tall man - IN THE PAINT.

I'll acknowledge this appears to be a new and improved aggressive Bender, but I've also got very little tolerance for him to be on the perimeter unless he consistently shows KG-style aggressiveness from the perimeter.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

You guys sure are doing alot of gushing.......just relax and get some perspective after 20 games or so. [color=red:0078928fba]Remember we've been teased before w/Bender which is partially the reason so many are enamored every time he blinks twice and scratches his head at the same time.[/color] I'm hopefull but at the same time more than just a little guarded that this is his "coming out party".
    No kidding. Talk about looking for any excuse to collective climb in the kid's jock and snuggle up to his nutsack, and it's a race to get there. :P

You all should listen to bmac. He makes a HELL of a lot of sense.

Yeah, Johnny is defintely showing some promise, but he's done this before. :

I'l say one thing for him though. He has a look in his eyes that he has a clue whats going on, as opposed to that deers in the headlight thingie.

If Bender can become at all productive (not just a couple of games) and has had that deer in the headlights look removed then, all other things considered, is Carlilse not doing a 'coach of the year' kind of job? Has anyone done better?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

*cough*

http://www.pacersdigest.com/articles/kegboy101603.php

Unpopular Beliefs
    October 16, 2003

By Kegboy
    Jonathon Bender is a special talent, and will be a special player.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Gushing...yep I am. Why? Becase he's lost that deer in the headlights look everyone has been so fearful of in the past. Because he's done it for more than one game and had been doing it earlier too (before the injury)...because he's bulked up some, and because he actually drew double teams. SOme palyers get hot and the oppostion says OK let it runit's course, but teams have already noticed and an\re taking him into account.

IF this continues we have a monster on our hands and he can change the PO outlook considerably. I have hinted at it, I will predict it: Assuming he stays healthy, he will have Garnett-like impact.

Quothe the Geezer evermore.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..