Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reggie to the Celtics?

It's my opinion, relax! Vince Neil's Avatar

Default Reggie to the Celtics?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2966170

Reggie Miller says he is contemplating a return to the NBA, this time with the Boston Celtics.

Miller, who turns 42 on Aug. 24, played his entire 18-year career with the Indiana Pacers before retiring in 2005. Since his playing days ended he has worked as a television analyst for TNT.

Miller was all set to continue that job when Celtics general manager Danny Ainge and coach Doc Rivers asked him to think about joining their revamped team in a reserve role, playing about 15 minutes per game.

Miller said he is calling friends and peers, seeking their advice and listening to their feedback before he makes his decision. He still plays recreationally, but must determine if he wants to go through the physical and mental grind of an 82-game season. He also wonders how his body would respond to the intensive training it would take to get him back to NBA shape.

The lure of playing in Boston is simple: with Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen added to Paul Pierce, the Celtics feel they have a shot at an NBA championship. Like those three players, the only thing missing from Miller's list of accomplishments is a championship ring.

Miller, a five-time NBA All-Star, is seventh on the all-time list of games played with 1,323. He is 13th in scoring (25,279) and holds the NBA record for most made the most 3-pointers in NBA history with 2,560.

Since the Celtics' trades that brought in Allen and Garnett, the team has been filling out its roster with less heralded players, including guard Eddie House and center Scot Pollard.

Default Re: Reggie to the Celtics?

I'm all for it. Do work, Reg.

"I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

I'm not. I never thought he was a ring chaser.

Thats kinda a smack in the face of Indiana to join a team in the same division of Indiana. If he does, I will be there at the four games that we play him and I'll probably have a sore throat the next day.

LOL!!!

If he does this, I might just become a Celtics fan!!!

I have often criticized players for chasing a ring, but really only the ones who demand a trade to a contender, or sign with another team for very little money, when the team that they have been with for many years is offering more...

The only thing that would bother me is...didn't he leave with one year left on his last contract?
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

Just waiting ...

So does that mean he'll be giving back the Bentley?

"I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

I would be sad that he would no longer had spent his entire career with the Pacers, but he's my favorite player EVER so of course I would root for him and the Celtics. The Pacers will still be my #1 of course

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh, HELL no! That would suck beyond all belief!

Don't do it, Reg!!!!!
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He wouldn't dare.

He loses all his legend status IMO if he does this. Part of his mystique is that he was a Pacer for life, if he went to the Celtics, it would only be worse if he went to the Knicks. Don't do it Reg, for the love of God don't do it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

My first thought is, "There's no direct quotes."

My second thought is, "It's ESPN, even if there was doesn't mean they're true."

My third thought is, "This better not happen, or else Jay's head will explode."

Even if this is true, it seems kind of strange on Boston's part. IMO the team that has Ray Allen on their roster is the last team that would have a need for Reggie's talents.

If Reggie wants to come back, I'm not gonna stand in his way. It'd be disappointing, sure, but it's his life. I still don't see them winning anything. As good as he may still be, he's not a Point or a Center.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL!!!

I have often criticized players for chasing a ring, but really only the ones who demand a trade to a contender, or sign with another team for very little money, when the team that they have been with for many years is offering more...

The only thing that would bother me is...didn't he leave with one year left on his last contract?

Yeah, and we had to pay it too. Now that this year has expired, he decides to come back to chase a ring with a team that really is not good enough anyway. I say more power to him, but all he will likely get from this will be a second finals appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    He wouldn't dare.

He loses all his legend status IMO if he does this. Part of his mystique is that he was a Pacer for life, if he went to the Celtics, it would only be worse if he went to the Knicks. Don't do it Reg, for the love of God don't do it.
    QFT

If Reggie does this, I will lose a LOT of respect for him. I know it's his life and whatever, but this is just lame.

Damn, we fans just keep taking one hit after another. When is it going to stop?

Mood

Good God. Why don't the Celtics just pay him the LLE to come over to my house, rip my heart out, and wipe his feet on my childhood on the way out to his Bentley.

Banned

I'd be awesome to see Reggie Miller playing basketball again.

I wonder if he would ponder returning to the Pacers in the same form?

Can never have too many shooters!

I agree, I thought Laker fans had it bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    My first thought is, "There's no direct quotes."

My second thought is, "It's ESPN, even if there was doesn't mean they're true."

My third thought is, "This better not happen, or else Jay's head will explode."

Even if this is true, it seems kind of strange on Boston's part. IMO the team that has Ray Allen on their roster is the last team that would have a need for Reggie's talents.

If Reggie wants to come back, I'm not gonna stand in his way. It'd be disappointing, sure, but it's his life. I still don't see them winning anything. As good as he may still be, he's not a Point or a Center.
    I'm kind of in the same state of thought, Kegboy.

If this is more ESPN BS, we fans need to do something about it. This would be at least the third time in recent memory that they've just falt-out made up **** about the Pacers, and I've ****ing had enough.

ESPN just changed around the coach's names, switched the owner's name to the Celts GM name, then added in Celtics rather than Mavs, and copied/pasted from their article last year.

They reported how he was calling around his friends and family, same as this year, but every single person denied it. Last years story came around because Cuban just mentioned his name, and ESPN ran with it saying he was offered a contract.

B-O-G-U-S!

Wow, I really want him to, if he hadn't done everything humanly possible here in Indy I could see some of the backlash, but lets let the guy have a chance at a ring.

He did things the right way, that just sounds petty and small to deny him a chance to get a ring after all he did for the franchise and fans.

I'm happy for him if he does and won't root for the Celtics, but would big time root for him!!

What is he going to do come back to Indy, come on?!?!?

He will still go into the Hall a Pacer. I'm disappointed by some of the reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Good God. Why don't the Celtics just pay him the LLE to come over to my house, rip my heart out, and wipe his feet on my childhood on the way out to his Bentley.
    No kidding. I'm not sure how I would react to Reggie in another jersey. I might never be able to watch the NBA again.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

It's my opinion, relax! Vince Neil's Avatar

"No," he said. "There’s no Michael Jordan thing going on. There’s none of that.”
    Anyone remember this quote from Reginald? I hope he says no.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
    LOL!!!

I remember when Reg and Chuck raised Holy Hell that the fans supported the Celtics more than the Ps back in the day. I can't ever hate the guy, but I will NEVER become a Celtic fan.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

15 minutes a game. How much of his skills have diminished since retiring? I would only worry that if his shot had fallen off to where he wasn't quite the shooter he once was he could see little playing time. It wouldn't bother me at all if he joined them. He gave us his very best for 18 years and theres nothing wrong with chasing a ring if you feel theres a legitimate chance.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    They still need someone to spell Allen when he needs a rest. Reggie would sub-in off the bench for Ray.