Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Booger McFarland Down

Default Re: Booger McFarland Down

Somebody scour the waiver wire. There has to be someone deeper than us at the tackle postion shedding some talent. Hell, excess mucous excretion was rotating as a backup in Tampa before we swung the deal last year. Our lb's and secondary should be fine.
    Last edited by McClintic Sphere; 08-06-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Well, Dungy now calling it "long term."

www.indystar.com
    TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- The Indianapolis Colts are prepared to move on without defensive tackle Anthony McFarland.

It remains to be seen if that means for several weeks, or the entire season.

Coach Tony Dungy confirmed after this morning's practice at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology that McFarland suffered damage to the patella tendon in one of his knees late last week.

"We don't know the full extent of it,'' Dungy said. "It's serious. It's something where he's not going to be back in the next 3-4 weeks.
    "It's a long-term injury.''

Surgery is likely. Dungy wouldn't speculate on whether McFarland could return from the operation and play late in the season.

After practice, Dungy informed the players that injuries are part of the game and that someone must step up and fill in for a fallen teammate.
    "We've lost guys and other guys have stepped up,'' he said. "We've got some guys that (the injury) will mean a little more playing time for.''
    That includes returning veterans Darrell Reid and Dan Klecko and rookies Quinn Pitcock and Keyunta Dawson.
    Let the Tank Johnson and Warren Sapp discussion ensue henceforth:

profootballtalk.com

WILL TANK ROLL TO INDY?

In his last NFL game, defensive tackle Tank Johnson's team lost to the Indianapolis Colts. In his next NFL game, could Johnson be wearing that blue horseshoe on his helmet, instead of in his rear end?

This is pure speculation on our part, but we would not be surprised -- at all -- to learn in the not-too-distant future that Johnson is the newest member of the Super Bowl champs. By signing him before the start of the season, Johnson can serve his eight-game suspension, work his way into game shape, and be ready to help the defense turn it up a notch or two for the playoffs.

Having Johnson waiting in the wings also could provide some incentive for the remaining defensive tackles on the depth chart, following the loss of Booger McFarland for the season with a serious knee injury. NFLN reports that it's a torn ACL. The Indianapolis Star reports that it is a torn patellar tendon. Either way, it's an early 2007 exit for Booger.

Johnson has all of his pro experience in the same defense that the Colts run -- the Tampa Two, a 4-3 attack that relies upon defensive tackles to stop the run effectively, and to pressure the quarterback without the assistance of extensive blitz packages. Given that the pickings are otherwise slim at the position on the free-agent market, Tank could be the best option, even with eight games that must be served after he signs with a new team.

Of course, Tank brings plenty of baggage. But the Colts haven't been averse to signing or draft a **** or two over the years, and acquiring Johnson could be justified by explaining that his release from the Bears was the result of an incident for which Johnson was not ultimately charged.

Besides, the Colts currently are in their post-Super Bowl grace period; if they swing and miss on a guy like Johnson, so what?

One last factor to consider is that G.M. Bill Polian is a short-timer, and might very much want to pull an Elway, retiring from the game after back-to-back championships. To make that happen, and to likewise take some heat off of Polian's $12 million per year defensive end named Dwight Freeney, the team needs some more talent up the middle.

Our guess is that the Colts will begin to discreetly and quietly flirt with Johnson as they also monitor the waiver wire. It has been speculated, for example, that Warren Sapp might be cut by the Raiders. If Sapp or some other veteran who would upgrade the talent at the position in Indy becomes available, then Tank might not be the guy. If that doesn't happen, Tank could end up rolling into Indy.

Why is this happening?

I feel like shooting myself.

Is Tom Brady and the Pats into Voodoo or something?!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We will not sign Tank Johnson. I'd be shocked.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

LMAO.

The media is stupid enough to even think we'd sign Tank.

Yeah, we really want that.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hah, just wait til week 9 and I'm sure you'll be singing a different tune.
    You hope.

I wouldn't be so cocky, you just better worry about Randy. Better keep him happy.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Bring Sapp to Indy.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Sapp is probably the more likely to end up on our roster of the two. Green Bay is pretty deep at the DT position. Maybe we could interest them in a deal.

Well we have to do something, IMO.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Windy City Flyer City of Big Sholdas's Avatar

Eh, you mad doggy? Im sure Moss will be a good little boy this year! Because Randy has always been a good teammate!
    Last edited by City of Big Sholdas; 08-06-2007 at 05:08 PM.
    |Bears 3-5 - Bulls 0-4|Aren't we just on a roll?

Looking at Green Bay's depth chart, they probably have 5 tackles better than anyone on our roster (after McFarland injury). I mean I like Raheem Brock but he seems more like a natural Defensive End. Green Bay's DT's:

LDT79Ryan Pickett99Corey Williams97Johnny Jolly
    RDT91Justin Harrell*90Colin Cole95Daniel Muir*

http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/

In news of optimism, Quinn Pitcock practiced for the first time today:

Quinn Pitcock participated in his first Colts 2007 Training Camp practice Monday.

For the rookie defensive tackle, the appearance didn't pass without some good-natured teasing from Colts Head Coach Tony Dungy.

Pitcock, a third-round selection in this past April’s NFL Draft, missed the first week of camp with a hamstring injury. He was cleared to practice, and participated in the team’s morning practice at the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.

Sometime before that, Dungy made mention of the late arrival.

“Quinn did a good job for the first time out,” Dungy said. “I told him it was good to see him. For a while, we thought he was one of those super-hero action figure guys who you heard about, but you never really saw him in person.

“It was good to see he is a real person.”

Pitcock said he had been anxious to practice after missing last week.

“They were very cautious,” Pitcock said. “They wanted me to be here all year and not come to camp hurt. I thought I was fine. They just wouldn’t let me practice. They know what they’re doing.”

Pitcock who played collegiately at Ohio State, said while he expected the NFL to be faster and more difficult, the first practice was an adjustment.

“I had plenty of energy,” Pitcock said. “It was just a lot faster than doing drills on my own. I’m excited to get back into game shape.”

How anxious was Pitcock to start his NFL career? Enough that he said he had difficulty sleeping Sunday night.

“It’s one of those things where I was picturing all the plays I could make, but once you get in there, it’s so much faster than what was in my mind,” Pitcock said. “I was a little rusty. I hadn’t played any football since the Senior Bowl, so I was a little
    http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=ar...9-f84bedd31813

Mood

Out of all of our losses on personnel, this one really stings.

This makes Pitcock a much more important piece of the puzzle. Does anyone else see the temptation to bring in Tank Johnson for a talking to, just to see where his head is. Maybe with the group we have, he could straighten up. It could be a maximum talent for minimum investment?

Warren Sapp crossed my mind, but he is getting old. I say scan the waiver wire after three weeks in the preseason and there may be teams that have to make some difficult decisions. We have a pretty big advantage in that guys will want to play for a coach like Dungy and with a superbowl champion team.

Windy City Flyer City of Big Sholdas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Out of all of our losses on personnel, this one really stings.

This makes Pitcock a much more important piece of the puzzle. Does anyone else see the temptation to bring in Tank Johnson for a talking to, just to see where his head is. Maybe with the group we have, he could straighten up. It could be a maximum talent for minimum investment?

Warren Sapp crossed my mind, but he is getting old. I say scan the waiver wire after three weeks in the preseason and there may be teams that have to make some difficult decisions. We have a pretty big advantage in that guys will want to play for a coach like Dungy and with a superbowl champion team.
    As a Bears fan, you dont even want to give him a chance, which is a very sad thing to say, but its true! Nowadays when these guys are given second chances they think what they did in the past, is literally in the past to them, and that if they screw up again, its no biggy. Yea Tank just had to do it close to super bowl weekend too.As soon as you think its clear, hell pull a pacman! And being in the AFC you cant afford to have any distractions or halts in the push for the playoffs! The guys head is always in the wrong spot, so theres no way he will change because of new personnel. But you guys can give it a try!
    Last edited by City of Big Sholdas; 08-06-2007 at 10:03 PM.
    |Bears 3-5 - Bulls 0-4|Aren't we just on a roll?

Good Job Larry! Indianapolis_girly's Avatar

Dang, that's a big lose.
    Good thing our offense is pretty darn good.

Some people want it to happen, some
    wish it would happen, & others make it happen.
    ..Michael Jordan.

Pressure is something you feel when
    you don't know what the hell you're
    doing.
    ..Peyton Manning.