View Poll Results: Which trade (or potential trade) has led to the greatest level of speculation?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ron Artest to Sacramento

12 21.82%
  • Al Harrington back to Indiana

12 21.82%
  • Jermaine O'Neal to ?

31 56.36%

Thread: Greatest Trade Speculation

Default Greatest Trade Speculation

With all this JO speculation, I thought it might be time to compare the level of speculation to our previous two.

First, there was the outbound trade of Ron Artest to Sacramento.

Second, there was the inbound trade of Al Harrington from Atlanta.

Now, there is the potential outbound trade of Jermaine O'Neal to LA or NJ or who knows.

Which one has led to the most speculation?

Default Re: Greatest Trade Speculation

The most annoying speculation? JO to LA. I never want to hear the name Crittenton ever again.

Well, the both the Artest and Harrington Sagas lasted around 7 or 8 weeks. Artest's was wilder because we didn't know where he was going to go.

By my count, we've been kicking around JO to LA (and, to a lesser amount, JO to other places) for 16 weeks, with very little change in relative positions. I can think of no specific rumor that has lasted this long.

All 3 have been awful. While it's been going on longer, this one doesn't seem as bad since it's been limited to one thread, thankfully.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

The JO trade has been more contentious. Artest had burned several bridges in Pacerland by the time his name was making serious rounds.

Al Harrington's situation had a lot of 'feel good' energy surrounding it (with many fans and casual fans) until it looked to be falling apart.

JO has been part of the starmaker offense the P's geared around him and that he willingly accepted (or demanded, depending on your point of view). He still has his share of supporters and even some apologists and that is at least partly because of the way the team has used him and marketed him. That said, the group willing to trade him has grown (altho the reasons for trading him vary with the members of that group).

Sooo... ummmm what was the question again?

Oh yeah... greatest speculation...
    It has to be the (potential) JO trade. He has enough face recognition that some fans of other teams are intrigued by the idea of acquiring him (so they come here). He also has some detractors as fans of those other teams since he hasn't exactly excelled in leading the Pacers anywhere recently. The normal 'overvaluing' by fans of a teams own players comes into play which leads to a tug-of-war of ideas. Then toss in Donnie Do Nothing's pondwater slow reaction times and the whole thing is festering towards a giant shrug around the NBA.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Gotta say Ron. I wasn't here, but from other boards and just the media in general there was a lot of speculation about where, when and for who he would get traded.

JO may have more posts, but can you really consider it a lot of speculation when every post is talking about the same trade? Seems more like boredom than speculation.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All 3 have been awful.
    I voted for Al because of the 3 I knew it was a horrible idea.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    I voted for Al because of the 3 I knew it was a horrible idea.
    Well I was very much against bringing back Al aswell, but I am going for the Artest case here. That was truly horrendous.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I voted for Baby Al, primarily because I saw it as "greatest speculation by Pacer fans."

I'm not counting our friends from the Laker boards.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I went with Al as well. Ron was Ron, but that happened during the season, so there were other things to discuss. Jermaine's been happening longer, but not everybody is for it, and as Anthem states, a lot of it is trolls. Plus, we've obviously had other things to talk about, like the greatness of Russian Diner.

Take Al away from last summer, and it would have been a freakin' ghost town. For over a month, every, single thread was "OMG, where's Al, we need Al, why don't we have Al, why isn't it done yet, I hate Billy Knight, I'm gonna go kill him in his sleep..."
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The fascinating thing about the Ron speculation was the "this is the straw that broke the camel's back" revelation that came long with it.

If it weren't for desperate LA fans spamming and trolling an otherwise dead thread, this conversation would come to rest.

I loved the observation posted on here last week: the Knicks have been in rumors for just about every player under the sun. Except perhaps Randolph. The Pacers-Warriors trade caught everyone off guard. When's the first we heard of DD for JO back in 2000? (Hint: the press conference.)

If its in the rumor mill, and being speculated by fans on message boards, it is more likely to be dead or a diversion from the truth than legit.

The only reason with Al-back-to-Pacers was so widely speculated is because we were the only possible trading partner for the Hawks, based on our trade exception.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

i'm going with the ron trade too.

like jay said, al harrington to the pacers was almost inevitable because: a) we were hell-bent on signing him; and b) nether al nor atlanta had better options.

jo to the lakers isn't a lot of speculation either. it just seems so because of, er... our fine friends from la la land. in truth, there aren't a lot of teams that can give as good a return for j.o. as the lakers. and for the lakers, there's not another allstar-caliber player who is (relatively) easy to obtain. that's not to say that a deal will definitely happen, but this seems the most probable one by a mile.

in ron's case though - he was a legitimately good all-around player with a short contract. plenty of teams wanted a crack at him. plus his unpredictability makes setting a price for him almost impossible. i think ron was rumored to be going to half the teams in the league, and if you had checked out realgm, almost every team forum had a "ron artest trade" thread. so to me that has to count as the most speculation.
    Last edited by wintermute; 08-06-2007 at 01:43 AM.

I voted Harrington just because it was so on again/off again - all summer. I remember at least once when everyone was sure it was dead and I was sure it wasn't (I think I was just beginning to have true faith in DW's propensity toward making bad trades) and posted how I thought it would be revived.

The JO thread really ran out of new things to say a long time ago but just sort of keeps staggering on. And everything about Ron is speculation so I'm not counting that.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Artest trade was the greatest (or worse) in the sense that he made the trade demand after all he put the organization through and that we had received at least 5 seriously considered trade offers from other teams (Nuggets, Lakers, Warriors, Clippers, and Kings).

With JO its really only been the Lakers and to a lesser degree the Nets that have confirmed offers involved.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    And everything about Ron is speculation so I'm not counting that.
    True.

Even assuming he'll show up to practice without a Tysonian face tattoo or expecting him not to have breast implants next time we see him is pure speculation at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    True.

Even assuming he'll show up to practice without a Tysonian face tattoo or expecting him not to have breast implants next time we see him is pure speculation at this point.
    Bingo!
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo

I think that JONeal to wherever is gonna be worst then the Artest situation....and I was on pins-and-needles everyday on PD waiting for something to happen.

Man...this next month is gonna suck.

BTW...Able....PD is gonna be overrun with alot of Non-Pacer fans until JONeal is moved....ever think of doing some advertising on PD to earn some additional revenue?

I seem to recall an upturn of traffic on here when Artest went "Artest" on us a couple of seasons ago.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The ball isn't rolling enough for JO's deal or potential deal to be number 1. Al was the most up and down damn thing we have ever seen. We had WTHR report the deal as done like two months before it ever happened even.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods