Thread: Do you think the Colts will stumble out of the Starting gate

Banned

Default Do you think the Colts will stumble out of the Starting gate

Regardless of whether or not you think the Colts are going to repeat, do you think they are going to come out cold to start the season.

I would say no, but I will admit its a very real possibility. Even if they do I doubt they miss the playoffs just because the most wins I see any other team getting is 10, And with our easier schedule we should be ok.

The first game should be an important gauge simply because we haven't lost to an NFC team at home since 03 Carolina(a game without Glenn and Edge)

Default Re: Do you think the Colts will stumble out of the Starting gate

I know they are putting a lot of emphasis on getting out of the gate quickly, because they know that has been the stumbling block of a lot of teams trying to repeat: getting behind the 8 ball early and then trying to dig out.

Mood

I don't see them stumbling out of the gate personally, just because the way they have been really proactive in putting last year behind them. I think Pittsburg stumbled so bad last year because of all of the distraction at the beginning of the season and their core group was pretty young. Our D may slip a bit for a few games getting some chemistry developed, but it will be stout by the end of the year stacked with all of that athletic ability.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't be surprised if they struggle a bit to start the season 2-2 or something like that.

I don't expect Peyton or the offense to struggle too much but I am a little worried about the running game with Big "T's" retirement. Bob Sanders' health (or lack thereof) is what worries me the most about the defense.

I do expect some growing pains for the rookies and a few losses to go along with that. Just look at the Patriots' Super Bowl hangovers for a good comparison. By the end of the season, I think the team will be firing on all cylinders and poised for another long post-season run.

Over the past few years the Colts have been more ready to start the season than any other NFL team.

I say no.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

No they won't stumble IMO, they will go into the bye week 5-0 or 4-1. That will be a stumble for many of you on this forum though lol.. if they don't win 50-0 every game, the season is over. If they are really going to have a "stumble" during the season it will be mid right after the bye because it's 4 straight tough games. Jacksonville, Carolina, New England, San Diego.

Windy City Flyer City of Big Sholdas's Avatar

No, I dont think they will have that much trouble with the schedule that they have for the first 5 games. I think the only reasonable loss(es) would be against Denver and/or New Orleans. But seeing as those are both in the Dome, they will probably win all their games going into the bye week. When they come out of the buy thats when we will see what the Colts are made of.

They should be a very strong team this year with the exception of the interior D. Unless a rookie comes up big, it is going to take a while for chemistry to develop. And if a lot of teams realize that area is weak, they will start running up the gut; causing a mass of different schemes that will need to be used, which might include a lot of inside blitzing. Which could result in a lot exposure outside the tackles and a lot of 1 on 1 match ups down field!

We will see though...

I think the schedule really helps us. I hadn't looked at it in a while, and I'm surprised how easy it is for a defending champ. The only hard road games are San Diego, Baltimore, and Jacksonville (because they always are.) Though, Tennessee could trip us up in week 2.

And yes, I know I'm discounting the Saints because they played so poorly on Sunday, but I can't help it. As much as I love Drew, they're ripe to fall back down to earth.

[edit] I wouldn't be surprised to see us undefeated going into the Pats game, which is probably what the league wants.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Someone explained the schedule to me awhile back. Essentially our division gets paired against 2 other Divisions. This year the AFC South will play both the NFC south and the AFC west. So every team in our division plays every team in those 2 divisions. What separates us in difficulty is that we get to play two other Division winners, in this case, New England and Baltimore. Whereas Jacksonville will play 2 2nd place division teams and so on down the line with Tennesee and Houston getting, respectively, teams that finished lower in their divisions for the "wild card" games.

That is correct. Luckily, our toughest part of the schedule is right after the bye. We should be able to go 5-0, so long as the new starters do ok. After that will be rough. Carolina is no pushover, at Jags is always a problem for us. And then we get NE and SD. If we can survive that, we're in great shape.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

woman without a team

I can see us losing a couple games, but I can also see us going at least 8-0.