Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask the Pacers: Larry Bird on youth and rebuilding

Default Ask the Pacers: Larry Bird on youth and rebuilding

Question for Larry Bird | July 31, 2007

Q. I know you have said that you don't plan on rebuilding this franchise; however, after discussions with many Pacers fans the overall consensus seems to be to start over. The team may struggle at times over the next couple of years, but watching young players grow and seeing them progress would be much more entertaining than watching the current team (Danny Granger is a perfect example of watching a player grow and enjoying it). So, would you ever consider making some deals to bring in youth and future draft picks in order to build for the future? (From Aaron in Indianapolis)
    A. If you look at our team now, we're very high on Ike (Diogu), we're very high on (Danny) Granger, we're very high on Shawne Williams. We've got a core of young guys here we think we can develop with our veteran players to move forward. If we can make some trades to get some draft players and go after players we want, we'll do that. Question for Larry Bird | July 31, 2007

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/ask_the_pacers.html

Is Larry changing his mind?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ask the Pacers: Larry Bird on youth and rebuilding

Larry is being Larry... indecisive.

I don't think anything's changed. He's saying that he's happy with the youth on this team with that trio of guys, but at the same time he's not so attached to them to label them untouchable. If we were offered an all-star player for one of them or a combination, I doubt he'd say no if that all-star fit at all.

Let's not read too much into his comments. In fact lets not read anything into his comments. Obviously he put only a moments thought into his response

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

maybe Larry should have pursued a career in politics...talk about sitting on the fence!

Quote Originally Posted by dadscout View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Maybe, but the new one probably wont work any better.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Should the new slogan be "New management, but still in love with the idea of playing five forwards at once"?

When's the last time we even had a young guard we were excited about? Jalen Rose? Nah, he was a forward. Micheal Williams? We didn't draft him but we did give him a shot in the lineup when Vern got hurt. Reggie Miller?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Should the new slogan be "New management, but still in love with the idea of playing five forwards at once"?

When's the last time we even had a young guard we were excited about? Jalen Rose? Nah, he was a forward. Micheal Williams? We didn't draft him but we did give him a shot in the lineup when Vern got hurt. Reggie Miller?
    240 replies on this thread: http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...ad.php?t=32627

If that's not excited, I don't know what is.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

i was rather excited to have Tinsley and the first couple of months were definitely in honeymoon mode...if only he could've managed to stick to that level of ballin'...

Yeah, I think Tinsley was the last big "wow" guard we drafted or otherwise acquired. Of course, to most he's flamed out.

And prior to Tinsley... it was a long, long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    And prior to Tinsley... it was a long, long time ago.
    Ann Meyers?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    maybe Larry should have pursued a career in politics...talk about sitting on the fence!
    My thoughts exactly!
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Banned

It's all about direction. I promise, if the Lakers do not get better this year, and Bynum plateus, then they should consider making a deal like the Wolves did to get the rebuilding process in full swing. Kobe will be looking at an opt out that year, and if they are still no better off, you may as well change the direction. The Pacers are there now. Their best hope to get to a title level is to wait out these vet teams for the next 2-3 years and be ready to burst out. Look at the Wolves: They have Foye, Green, Brewer, Jefferson, McCants. Will they be out of the playoffs the next 2-3 years? Probably. But they'll get in the lottery and those young, talented players will get better. Indiana, if they accepted Bynum, Crittenton, Kwame, Cook, 2 #1s for JO, their roster would rival the Wolves: Granger, Diagu, Bynum, Crittenton, Williams, Dunleavy. You can probably ticket the lottery for the next year or two, but the arrow is really pointed up. You have a young, talented player at every position, plus 2 extra #1 choices. If I were a Pacer fan, I would support this deal because the upside longterm of the deal defeats any negative downside that I see, because even the most intelligent Pacer fan would have to admit that the Pacers are a very borderline playoff team at this point, with JO possibly, not probably, but POSSIBLY leaving at the end of the season.
    Last edited by LAKERERIC; 08-01-2007 at 12:52 PM.

The difference between us and the Wolves is that we have too many vets: Tinsley, Dunleavy, JO, Murphy, Foster, now Kareem Rush...they may be role-player/barely starter quality but they are still vets. Unless we can get rid of them all in one off-season, I don't see the point. Also, it's nice to bring along the young guys slowly. I think having Diogu back up JO for a while could be a very good idea.

Also, with this team, we're still going to get a good pick next year...it's not like we're sitting on a 50-win roster here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    The difference between us and the Wolves is that we have too many vets: Tinsley, Dunleavy, JO, Murphy, Foster, now Kareem Rush...they may be role-player/barely starter quality but they are still vets. Unless we can get rid of them all in one off-season, I don't see the point. Also, it's nice to bring along the young guys slowly. I think having Diogu back up JO for a while could be a very good idea.

Also, with this team, we're still going to get a good pick next year...it's not like we're sitting on a 50-win roster here.
    You're right. So, you may as well get the youth movement going behind them. Obviously, Dunleavy, Murphy, Tinsley are not friendly contracts. But these guys are good enough to play with the young players and keep you respectable. But, the organization would have more optimism in the future with a solid, young, developing core. Unless you guys want to trade Granger, Williams and another couple of your players to try to get a really good compliment for Jermaine, I would deal him. The Wolves probably should have done this last offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by LAKERERIC View Post
    It's all about direction.
    Speaking of direction, it seems to me that you are trying every road you can to get to a singular destination. The problem is that you just wind up making the same old rejected offer.

It's all about the Laker's, I promise!
    Fixed!

Travis Best.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Travis Best.
    Heywoode Workman.

We are just naming random Pacer pgs, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Travis Best.
    Travis Worst? Travis Bust? Travis Dribble? The Walking, Talking Shot Clock Violation? He was a #25 pick - probably would've been a lottery pick and still starting in the NBA if he were tall enough to play SG. Doesn't really count, though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Speaking of direction, it seems to me that you are trying every road you can to get to a singular destination. The problem is that you just wind up making the same old rejected offer.
    I guess you can reject it. I can respect that. But it takes courage as an orgainzation to say: "It's time to rebuild." The Wolves did it. The Pacers can stick with what they have, and my team has its own problems, but I will be very surprised if the Pacers ever get a better offer than the Lakers', if that is on the table. I just don't see the real risk in that deal for the Pacers, since they are not close to title contention with or without JO. The Lakers, with JO-LO-Kobe, are a top 5 NBA team. Without JO, they are top 10-12. The trade helps Indi in the future and LA now. Oh well, I guess I can understand why you guys are sick of the Lakers fans. But I still say this trade could very well happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dadscout View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    I don't think he has changed his mind nor do I think he's sitting on the fence. Bird has had the same stance since the season ended.

From the June 26, 2007 interview, "So Far, O’Neal Trade Rumors Just That":

"Am I shopping Jermaine? We listen to everything that comes our way but as far as calling people and putting him out there on the block, no."

From the July 23, 2007 interview, "Bird Sees Big Impact from Small Moves":

When asked about JO's return in the wake of trade rumors although they had simmerred in the days since the draft, Bird said, "I've said it all along: I hope so," Bird said. "I look forward to having him back in the mix."

The same comment by Bird was expressed the very next day in an interview on IndyStar.com, "No Names, No Problems".

So, no. I don't think Bird has changed his mind or is riding the fence at all concerning JO. I think he's doing what he's always done: state the value of his players while making it clear that very few, if any, are untouchable, but will only trade them if the right pieces are available for the right price.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 08-01-2007 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    I don't think he has changed his mind nor do I think he's sitting on the fence. Bird has had the same stance since the season ended.

From the June 26, 2007 interview, "So Far, O’Neal Trade Rumors Just That":

"Am I shopping Jermaine? We listen to everything that comes our way but as far as calling people and putting him out there on the block, no."

From the July 23, 2007 interview, "Bird Sees Big Impact from Small Moves":

When asked about JO's return in the wake of trade rumors although they had simmerred in the days since the draft, Bird said, "I've said it all along: I hope so," Bird said. "I look forward to having him back in the mix."

The same comment by Bird was expressed the very next day in an interview on IndyStar.com, "No Names, No Problems".

So, no. I don't think Bird has changed his mind or is riding the fence at all concerning JO. I think he's doing what he's always done: state the value of his players while making it clear that very few, if any, are untouchable, but will only trade them if the right pieces are available for the right price.
    Bird's perception of the right price is what could have changed.

I guess you can reject it. I can respect that. But it takes courage as an orgainzation to say: "It's time to rebuild." The Wolves did it. The Pacers can stick with what they have, and my team has its own problems, but I will be very surprised if the Pacers ever get a better offer than the Lakers', if that is on the table. I just don't see the real risk in that deal for the Pacers, since they are not close to title contention with or without JO. The Lakers, with JO-LO-Kobe, are a top 5 NBA team. Without JO, they are top 10-12. The trade helps Indi in the future and LA now. Oh well, I guess I can understand why you guys are sick of the Lakers fans. But I still say this trade could very well happen.
    You know, I'm right in Tom White's category.

Jeez... expand your views a little for a change.

Every single thing you say about the Pacers and their possibilities on your proposed trade could be said about the Lakers. Can't you see that?

It takes courage for an organization to say it's time to rebuild. Check.

The Lakers can stick with what they have, and my team (Pacers) have their own problems, but there is no way in hell that the Lakers will get a better offer than the Pacers (which would include both Bynum and Odom). Check. Woops... no check. The Lakers better acquire another star or they MAY have problems with Kobe.

I think the Pacers are MUCH worse with the trade that you propose. Indeed, the Lakers probably would be a top 5 team. Without the trade, you are absolutely freakin' dreaming if you think the Lakers are a top 1-0-12 team. The would be a middle of the pack team, 15-18 and struggling to even make the playoffs.

All I ask is that you truly try to see the trade from a Pacer perspective, and attempt to make it stand up against the Pacers announced goal for the season (making the playoffs).

With JO, the Pacers will struggle to make the playoffs. With your trade proposal in place, the Pacers have no chance of making the playoffs.

For what it's worth, I believe that any potential two-team trade favors the Pacers if both Odom and Bynum are included. Without both, I believe any two-team trade even more heavily favors the Lakers. I'm implying that a 3-team trade is probably necessary to help matters work out.

However, I believe with the temperamental Kobe in a Lakers uniform, there are much greater risks for the Lakers if this trade does not take place than for the Pacers. Not just regarding making the playoffs, but also for the possibility that no trade might also mean that the Lakers would be forced to trade Kobe. If no trade is made, the Pacers continue to struggle (heck we will be challenged this season with or without the trade) .... but we really don't have to worry about JO as some seem to think... at least not until his contract is up in another 2 years following this season.

But again... try for once to invision yourself in front of your TV with a Pacers jersey on... what trade would you be willing to complete in light of the fact that Bird/JOB/Walsh have promised the fans that the Pacers will do everything possible to make the playoffs this season?