Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Notice on avatars and sig's

sweabs

Default Re: Notice on avatars and sig's

[I see there's an "upload from your machine" option in the profile now, VERY nice. I've always hated having to go through image hosting sites]
    The feature hasn't been working for me. I tried uploading from my machine (.jpg file) and it says that the file must be .jpg, .gif, etc...but mine already is?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Able you make a lot of good points, but I'll point out that once the avatar is loaded, it's loaded for the whole page. Meaning if an avatar is say 1.4MB, you only have to download it once to see it on each post.

And after that, at least if you're like my setup, the cache stores it and you don't have to load it again on every page.

But I do agree with you on signatures. They've gotten obscenely large.
    No offense, but why don't you just instruct people who don't want to see them to simply go into their profiles and turn the damn things off.

You have total control over both the avatars and the signatures. With the signatures, you can even elect to see text but no images.

After the sigs were starting to get ridiculous, I turned everything but the text off, and it is amazing how much more of the thread you are able to display on a single screen.

Able you make a lot of good points, but I'll point out that once the avatar is loaded, it's loaded for the whole page. Meaning if an avatar is say 1.4MB, you only have to download it once to see it on each post.

And after that, at least if you're like my setup, the cache stores it and you don't have to load it again on every page.

But I do agree with you on signatures. They've gotten obscenely large.
    No offense, but why don't you just instruct people who don't want to see them to simply go into their profiles and turn the damn things off.

You have total control over both the avatars and the signatures. With the signatures, you can even elect to see text but no images.

After the sigs were starting to get ridiculous, I turned everything but the text off, and it is amazing how much more of the thread you are able to display on a single screen.
    Well first of all, some people don't want to HAVE to turn that off, and would like to see some of these things, and second if able is saying what I think he's saying, it still loads it anyway, and you just don't see it.

But even that aside, those that use big files and people that watch them takes up a lot of bandwidth, and I want to cut that down some.

OK, the plan for now is to get the avatar uploading feature working, and when it is, no longer allow off-site avatars.

This means that whatever you find that you want as an avatar, you have to save it to your computer first, then do whatever you need to (if anything) to make sure it's no bigger than 45kb, and fits the limits of 200 height 175 width.

Once you know it's OK there, you can upload it here and it will display.

sweabs

OK, the plan for now is to get the avatar uploading feature working, and when it is, no longer allow off-site avatars.

This means that whatever you find that you want as an avatar, you have to save it to your computer first, then do whatever you need to (if anything) to make sure it's no bigger than 45kb, and fits the limits of 200 height 175 width.

Once you know it's OK there, you can upload it here and it will display.
    Brilliant. Deserves some .