Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking down the Eastern Confrence

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Breaking down the Eastern Confrence

If there aren't any major moves in the EC, here is what I think of the teams.

Detroit Pistons- plain and simple:getting weaker every offseason. If C-web is not returning, they will only have Mcdyess. I think they will be a 4 seed in the playoffs.

Chicago bulls- will win the confrence. #1 seed. This group is coming together and will challenge any WC team.

Cleveland Cavs- Still a good team, but I think LeBron is in JO's position. He is carrying the team. Without him, they would be a 20 win team. He has had ankle probrlems and it could prove to be a problem. I see them as a 5 seed.

Milwaulkee Bucks- still very weak. Not a playoff team. Even though Redd will be one of the highest scoring players in the league, they need another star next to him to really do some damage. 10'th in the East.

Philedelphia 76'ers- will be a better team, yet, they probrably will get 9'th place in the East.

Miami Heat- Weak. I would put them in 3'rd. Shaq is getting weaker and DW is the only other guy on the team that is really good, but they will make a playoff push.

Charolette bobcats- Finally Playoffs for them. i give them the 8 seed. they will definately be over .500.

New York Knicks- I see in the 6'th seed. they will be a dangerous team this season.

atlanta Hawks- still very weak. 11'th place.

Orlando Magic-#2 seed. Very great and dangerous team. their cap space in the next 3-4 years will really suck.

New Jersey nets- Will not make the playoffs but they will look good this year.

Boston Celtics- will be much better this year with Ray allen but still need a healthy PP.

Toronto Raptors- 7'th seed. pretty healthy.

Indiana Pacers- 5'th place. Will shock everyone and Obrien will win COY.

so it this was true, the playoffs would turn out to be

Chicago vs. Charolette
    Orlando vs. Raptors
    Heat vs. Knicks
    Detroit vs. Pacers

Chicago vs. Orlando
    Pacers vs. Heat
    Chicago vs. pacers

Yeah I think the P's can be in the 5 seed and ECF. Just watch. I like Raps vs pacers because it really comes down to JO vs CB. and we match up really well to Miami.

This is just my prediction. It might sound unrealistic to some, but I can hope can't I??
    Last edited by pianoman; 07-26-2007 at 12:27 PM.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Default Re: Breaking down the Eastern Confrence

Chicago vs. Charolette
    Orlando vs. New Jersey
    Heat vs. Knicks
    Raptors vs. Pacers
    Sweet...we don't even make the playoffs.

hopes and dreams, baby!

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Milwaulkee Bucks- still very weak. Not a playoff team. Even though Redd will be one of the highest scoring players in the league, they need another star next to him to really do some damage. 10'th in the East.
    I really think Milwaukee will be in the playoffs. Michael Redd coming back, Maurice Williams has emerged as a legit starting pg, and they just added Desmond Mason. Andrew Bogut and Charlie V. continue to get better. So I see no reason why they shouldn't make the playoffs or at least make 7th seed.

But all in all, the Indiana Pacers will be at the bottom of the division once again.

Mood

missed that. they will be in the playoffs.

Mood

how do you see the pacers being at the bottom of the EC. We were just not together last year. This year will be different

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I think the Hawks might actually be decent for sometime this year and IF the Bucks don't suffer from the same injury bonanza and keep Patterson they might surprise aswell. The Magic will be better, absolutely and the Bobcats will also certainly be quite stronger... still a very young team though.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I really haven't given it much thought, except to say the Bucks will be better than the Bobcats, and the pacers will be the worst team in their division

streets ahead

1) Pistons - no one else has made a move to truly challenge them... they've always been a great regular season team under flip. no reason for that to change losing CWebb (possibly), Delfino and adding rookie depth.

2) Raptors - were it not for injuries, i think they would have destroyed the nets. they've added a sharp shooter in kapono, depth in delfino and baston. they've got bosh who now has playoff experience, bargnani who will be in year two, nice backcourt with ford, parker, calderon and dixon... dangerous team methinks.

3) Bulls - going to struggle at times during the regular season but will always come on strong at the end. won't be enough to top detroit, but they'll be close.

4) Wizards - unless miami makes some major moves they're in trouble. orlando has improved but has a weak frontline. i think the wiz and magic slug it out and that the wiz come out on top.

5) Cavs - haven't made any major moves when they needed something else to get them over the hump. they disappointed in the finals but at least they got there. they'll have bad stretches during the season to go along with the good ones. enough for #5.

6) Magic - like i said above, certainly have made improvements, but have weak frontline depth and have JJ Reddick as their lone true SG. Van Gundy will help certainly but i think they've got too many questions at the moment to pencil in at #1 in the SE

7) Nets - Always seem to wind up in the playoffs regardless of their quality of play or injuries.

8) Celtics - I think they squeak in adding allen to the lineup and with the maturing of jefferson and rondo.

~~~

9) Bobcats - i want to put them in, but i think at this point they'll just miss out. they've improved on paper quite a bit and with emeka maturing this could be a team to watch.

10) Pacers - will have ups and downs, better defense but take a ton of 3s and few rebounds. not sure if we have the offensive talent to win with this style in year one. health is also a concern

11) Heat - wade may not be enough. who knows how much shaq will play. they've lost kapono, they're a mess at SF and PG. how long until riles bails?

12) Knicks - at times will be unstoppable up front with zach and eddy offensively dominating. other times will be a disaster with too many people wanting to score too much of the time. add to that they are two of the worst defending bigs in the league and all of the other chemistry issues...

13) Bucks - health is always an issue. if healthy they could sneak into the playoffs but who knows. mason was a nice pick up but enough?

14) Hawks - will improve this year but not enough to contend, still quite young

15) Sixers - young team mostly, will struggle for a while.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Banned

Pacers in 5th? I don't think you're even close.

What the optimists are banking on is that JOB will be a big upgrade over Rick Carlisle. My opinion is that it will be just the opposite. I believe the Pacers are going from one of the very best NBA coaches to an average coach.

Carlisle took the heat and most of the blame last year, but the reality is that the Pacers had a very poor team. I'll be surprised if they win 35 games in 2007-2008. Especially if they hang on to Jermaine "Over-inflated opinion of himself" O'Neal.

Mood

RC was a pushover in the locker room. He didn't lay down rules to the players. something Obrien will bring.

Oops - misread the title. I thought is said Broken Down Eastern Conference.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I know this was just done in fun, but I think I'm going to wait until I know who's going to be on the team before making any predictions on where the Pacers will wind up in the standings.

As of right now I think they would make the playoffs.

Doesnt make sense. . .Raps or NJ can be 3rd or 4th in the east because they are in the Atlantic. And Raptors have a better team than Miami at this point!!! New Jersey will be in the playoffs, you don't have that Big 3 and they don't get to the playoffs!!! Pacers could finish 7th but I think they will suprise people if they are healthy and make JOB's system work. The east will be very competitive this year for sure

Mood

I strongly disagree with the thread poster. I don't see how the addition of Rashard Lewis and losing Grant Hill and Darko will make the Magic shoot up to the number 2 spot. What happened to the Wizards? Did they get sucked in an Arenas black hole or something... anyhow, I also think they will still be in the thick of the playoffs. Here's my take on things:

Standingswise...
    #1 Cavs
    #2 Pistons
    #3 Bulls
    #4 Nets
    #5 Wizards
    #6 Magic
    #7 Knicks
    #8 Pacers

I picked us for the 8th pick with a little bit of bias. But realistically it would be tough for us to get that spot. The Hawks, 76ers, Bucks, Celtics and Bobcats have as decent of a chance at it as we do. Take away JO- either by injury or dumb trade- we are about as good, if at that, as the Hawks.

I just don't see LBJ slowing down. He has arrived and he will hold fort on the EC like MJ used to, regardless of the people around him. Yeah, he's that good! Barring injuries, I can't see them drop any lower than 3rd in the standings of the EC.

Detroit is a given. They got great picks this year, and with a team like them, little moves like that are really all you need. Doubting them would be foolish.

Bulls still need to fix their offense and inside scoring in particular. Ty Thomas will play a bigger role this season.

Nets can be filthy good. May even get the 2nd best record. Health is always the issue with any NBA team's success but this bunch has been together for a while and with Kristic back plus Magloire helping in the middle they can be very dangerous.

Wizards and Magic pretty much will do what they did last season.

Knicks finally get back to playoffs. One more blockbuster Isiah trade may even push their record higher. And I really think there will be one before the year ends.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    If there aren't any major moves in the EC, here is what I think of the teams.

Detroit Pistons- plain and simple:getting weaker every offseason. If C-web is not returning, they will only have Mcdyess. I think they will be a 4 seed in the playoffs.

Chicago bulls- will win the confrence. #1 seed. This group is coming together and will challenge any WC team.

Cleveland Cavs- Still a good team, but I think LeBron is in JO's position. He is carrying the team. Without him, they would be a 20 win team. He has had ankle probrlems and it could prove to be a problem. I see them as a 5 seed.

Philedelphia 76'ers- will be a better team, yet, they probrably will get 9'th place in the East.

Miami Heat- Weak. I would put them in 3'rd. Shaq is getting weaker and DW is the only other guy on the team that is really good, but they will make a playoff push.

Charolette bobcats- Finally Playoffs for them. i give them the 8 seed. they will definately be over .500.

New York Knicks- I see in the 6'th seed. they will be a dangerous team this season.

atlanta Hawks- still very weak. 11'th place.

Orlando Magic-#2 seed. Very great and dangerous team. their cap space in the next 3-4 years will really suck.

New Jersey nets- Will not make the playoffs but they will look good this year.

Boston Celtics- will be much better this year with Ray allen but still need a healthy PP.

Toronto Raptors- 7'th seed. pretty healthy.

Indiana Pacers- 5'th place. Will shock everyone and Obrien will win COY.

Chicago vs. Charolette
    Orlando vs. Raptors
    Heat vs. Knicks
    Detroit vs. Pacers

Chicago vs. Orlando
    Pacers vs. Heat
    Chicago vs. pacers

Yeah I think the P's can be in the 5 seed and ECF. Just watch. I like Raps vs pacers because it really comes down to JO vs CB. and we match up really well to Miami.

This is just my prediction. It might sound unrealistic to some, but I can hope can't I??
    I guess we moved to the West??
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by denyfizle View Post
    I strongly disagree with the thread poster. I don't see how the addition of Rashard Lewis and losing Grant Hill and Darko will make the Magic shoot up to the number 2 spot. What happened to the Wizards? Did they get sucked in an Arenas black hole or something... anyhow, I also think they will still be in the thick of the playoffs. Here's my take on things:

Standingswise...
    #1 Cavs
    #2 Pistons
    #3 Bulls
    #4 Nets
    #5 Wizards
    #6 Magic
    #7 Knicks
    #8 Pacers

I picked us for the 8th pick with a little bit of bias. But realistically it would be tough for us to get that spot. The Hawks, 76ers, Bucks, Celtics and Bobcats have as decent of a chance at it as we do. Take away JO- either by injury or dumb trade- we are about as good, if at that, as the Hawks.

I just don't see LBJ slowing down. He has arrived and he will hold fort on the EC like MJ used to, regardless of the people around him. Yeah, he's that good! Barring injuries, I can't see them drop any lower than 3rd in the standings of the EC.

Detroit is a given. They got great picks this year, and with a team like them, little moves like that are really all you need. Doubting them would be foolish.

Bulls still need to fix their offense and inside scoring in particular. Ty Thomas will play a bigger role this season.

Nets can be filthy good. May even get the 2nd best record. Health is always the issue with any NBA team's success but this bunch has been together for a while and with Kristic back plus Magloire helping in the middle they can be very dangerous.

Wizards and Magic pretty much will do what they did last season.

Knicks finally get back to playoffs. One more blockbuster Isiah trade may even push their record higher. And I really think there will be one before the year ends.

Wow I don't even see the Raptors in your standings. They are way better than the Magic and the Knicks. Your saying the Atlantic Division champs that won 47 games last year won't make the playoffs this year? I also don't see the Cavs winning the East, they haven't even done anything to improve their team in this offseason

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    Wow I don't even see the Raptors in your standings. They are way better than the Magic and the Knicks. Your saying the Atlantic Division champs that won 47 games last year won't make the playoffs this year? I also don't see the Cavs winning the East, they haven't even done anything to improve their team in this offseason
    I'm really not sold on the Raptors. Last year was a fluke. Like I said I had our Pacers at 8 for my personal bias but that can go to the Raps. But still, I'm not sold on them. Chances are they won't make the playoffs.

I'm not going to rank the teams 1 - 8 but I think the divisions will break down like this. The Raptors & Nets get in, the Knicks will be on the fence.

Toronto
    New Jersey
    New York
    Boston
    Phily

The Pistons, Bulls & Cavs make it. The Bucks, like the Knicks, will be close.

Detroit
    Chicago
    Cleveland
    Milwaukee
    Indiana

The Atlantic is a mess. Orlando gets in, the Wiz could if Arenas wills them there. I'm on the fence about the last 3 teams. Wade isn't 100% yet & Shaq will be starting his 16th year & has only played more than 67 games in 1 out of the last 6 seasons, so I have them slipping to 4th. The Hawks & Hornets will be pushing them all year.

Orlando
    Washington
    Atlanta
    Miami
    Charlotte

So I guess the teams I have in are....

Toronto
    New Jersey
    Detroit
    Chicago
    Cleveland
    Orlando

The last 2 spots will go to New York, Milwaukee, Washington, Atlanta or Miami.

If I had to pick the final 2, it would be New York & Milwaukee.

There! now I can sleep better tonight..... I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by denyfizle View Post
    I'm really not sold on the Raptors. Last year was a fluke. Like I said I had our Pacers at 8 for my personal bias but that can go to the Raps. But still, I'm not sold on them. Chances are they won't make the playoffs.
    Whatever "not sold on them" means, I think that's a pretty lonely opinion right now. They're young, they played well last year, I'm not as high on them as others but I definitely see them making the playoffs.

I also like the prediction of a Miami meltdown. They're a Shaq mid-season vacation away from totally falling apart at the seems. And Wade knows it, he's been campaigning as hard as anyone to get someone to come down there, but it hasn't worked (despite the allure of Miami Beach and no state taxes, seems surprising).

My prediction (assuming JO stays of course)

#1- Chicago: I strongly believe that you have to fail in order to succeed- they showed they could handle the Pistons last year (even though they lost)- this year they will be the team to beat in the East.

#2- Cleveland: LeBron James.

#3- Detroit: I think the start of their decline will start this year- they have been together for too long to become any better than they were. teams will start catching up to them this year.

#4- Toronto: Another team that will continue to improve. Colangelo is a genius. you wait and see...

#5- New Jersey: They're a very good team and were unlucky to lose Krstic last season. They will give Toronto a good fight for fourth best record in the East.

#6- Washington: Arenas will continue to dominate which will only get them this far since he's in his prime- they won't be better than last year while teams around them will play better.

#7- Boston: I think this team will be very dangerous- next year's black horse. Ray Allen is a great player and good guy to have- he can only have a positive influence on that team. AJ will continue to improve together with the rest of their youth.

#8- Indiana: What can I say? I have faith in them and JOB. The coaching change will give this team a spark. I think the defence will be better and so will the consistency and the youngsters will improve. Plus, I think we'll be pleasently surprised by our new players who will compliment JO perfectly.

#9- Orlando: I dont believe in this team. Any minor injury will set them off. DH is a very young star.

#10- New York: I think the Knicks is a team that will shoot itself in the foot. They'll be too inconsistent to make the PO and will have major chemistry problems.

#11- Miami: They only have Wade. Stick a fork in Shaq, he's done

#12-Charlotte: they will be better- but only a minor improvement.

#13- Milwakee: Another team that will be better but I just cant see them being better than the teams above.

#14- Philadelphia: I like Iguodala (did I spell it right) but they overachieved at the end of last year- I expect the same from them this year.

#15- Atlanta: Still the worst team in the conference. Will show promise for the future though.

Quote Originally Posted by DgR View Post
    My prediction (assuming JO stays of course)

#1- Chicago: I strongly believe that you have to fail in order to succeed- they showed they could handle the Pistons last year (even though they lost)- this year they will be the team to beat in the East.
    ...they proved they could handle us by losing the first 3 games of the series?

#3- Detroit: I think the start of their decline will start this year- they have been together for too long to become any better than they were. teams will start catching up to them this year
    ...and THERE it is, the annual, "this is the year the pistons finally decline" prediction!

Yeah, it's not like we have a chance to be better than last year, or anything....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ...they proved they could handle us by losing the first 3 games of the series?

...and THERE it is, the annual, "this is the year the pistons finally decline" prediction!

Yeah, it's not like we have a chance to be better than last year, or anything....
    No need to take it personally, but this DET team will fall apart at some point and start over like every other team- it could very likely start this year. It doesn't happen at once- it took us three years . Maybe I wouldn't say this if they seemed at all motivated. They're too arrogant, they think they can win the East without breaking a sweat- or have been for the last 2 years. Who knows? maybe next year will be different. I personally dont think so.

(plus I dont rate Flip very highly- he's only riding the teams' former coaches' success- I think he was didn't handle the Cavs series well at all)

Quote Originally Posted by DgR View Post
    No need to take it personally, but this DET team will fall apart at some point and start over like every other team
    ...except someone always says it every...single...year...

this has been going on since 2002. we were supposed to be a 1-year fluke and "decline" put of the playoffs the next year. I'm used to hearing it. It's just funny now.

- it could very likely start this year. It doesn't happen at once- it took us three years .
    The pacers voluntarily dismantled their 2000 team. We did not. And that team was a lot older than this Pistons nucleus anyway.

Maybe I wouldn't say this if they seemed at all motivated. They're too arrogant, they think they can win the East without breaking a sweat- or have been for the last 2 years. Who knows? maybe next year will be different. I personally dont think so.
    The young guys (Maxiell, Johnson, Stuckey, Afflalo) are all self-motivated players. Dumars made a point of loading the team with energy guys around the big 5. The starters haven't just lost the ability to play all of a sudden, nor have they lost their skills due to age. They won't suddenly become all stars this year, but theyre good enough to push the starters.

(plus I dont rate Flip very highly- he's only riding the teams' former coaches' success- I think he was didn't handle the Cavs series well at all)
    I'm not sure what Flip could have done. People want to blame him, but nobody can pinpoint the reason he was at fault. No coach was winning that series with a bench that played that badly that long. The fact he has a bench that completely crapped the bed was the biggest factor by far.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-28-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Detroit could be in their decline phase (and I think it started last year) and still wind up with the best record in the East. I like Chicago, but at best you can say that they will be neck and neck with Detroit for the regular season, and have a shot at beating them in the playoffs. Cleveland, Toronto, nobody really inspires much confidence. I'm pretty sure Detroit would easily be #5 in the west though, if not lower.

While I understand Chicago doesn't want to mortgage their future, the time to pull a move is now (considered an IMHO gawdawful Cleveland team ended up in the finals, it was last year). I can't imagine the East being this weak in the future, LeBron, Wade, or Howard are bound to get some talent around them eventually. Hold out for Kobe to force his way out of LA, but at the trading deadline if nothing has happened it might be time to move key pieces (even Deng) for Garnett or Gasol. Then, once you get to the finals, whatever, you got a shot at it.

Honestly, it's a shame we're in such a rut now. If only the Artest, O'neal, Jackson team had peaked like two years later, we'd be playing for a championship yearly.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Whatever "not sold on them" means, I think that's a pretty lonely opinion right now. They're young, they played well last year, I'm not as high on them as others but I definitely see them making the playoffs.

I also like the prediction of a Miami meltdown. They're a Shaq mid-season vacation away from totally falling apart at the seems. And Wade knows it, he's been campaigning as hard as anyone to get someone to come down there, but it hasn't worked (despite the allure of Miami Beach and no state taxes, seems surprising).
    That's fine. Like I sad, they might make the playoffs but they won't be as impressive as last season. Last year teams took them lightly; they are not surprising anyone this year. I will not be surprised if they don't make the playoffs. I just think the Raps have gone way over their heads with their international theme. Bosh is solid but I really believe they just got lucky last season. A lot of the EAST teams were hurting and this year almost everyone improved. The sole reason I put em below us is because o fmy bias, but for my money, if they were to make the playoffs it would be via the last 2 seeds. The Knicks and Nets will have better records than them. We'll see doggy... we'll see.