Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You know, this could actually boost attendance at Conseco Fieldhouse

Mood

Default You know, this could actually boost attendance at Conseco Fieldhouse

The Dodgers consider it a success. I could see it being big here, too.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18853110/

Chew on it: All you can eat at Dodger Stadium
    ‘This is really not about gluttony,’ one fan says of successful promotion

The Associated Press
    Updated: 7:34 p.m. ET May 24, 2007

LOS ANGELES - Luis Serrano is working on his second Dodger Dog and the game hasn’t even begun.

“On a good night, I’ll eat seven,” he said, smiling.

That’s how it goes in the new all-you-can-eat seats way out in right field at Dodger Stadium, where fans wolf down as many Dodger Dogs, nachos, peanuts, popcorn and soda as their bellies allow for one price.

Bring your own antacids.

“You get your money’s worth, for sure,” said Serrano, a slender 33-year-old from suburban Glendora who likes to bet his buddies how much they can chow down.

“I’ve won almost all of them,” he said, balancing a paper tray loaded with two more Dodger Dogs, nachos and peanuts on his lap.

His friend, Michael Latta of Alhambra, chomped on a mustard- and onion-slathered Dodger Dog in the right field pavilion, sponsored by, naturally, a chain of convenience stores.

“We’re more prone to eating more since we’re in here. We wouldn’t have done this over there,” Latta said, gesturing toward the rest of the stadium.

There’s another eat-up-a-storm section in this venerable place — the Dugout Club behind home plate. But at $400 a seat, which includes traditional fare delivered by a wait staff and a high-end buffet — it’s out of reach for many in the bust-a-gut section.

Launched this season, the outfield eat-a-thon opens 90 minutes before the first pitch and lasts until the start of the seventh inning. Ticket prices range from $20 for group sales to $40 for day-of-game walk-ups. Some games are $25 during designated promotions.

“The fans love it,” said Marty Greenspun, Dodgers executive vice president and chief operating officer.

“It was an isolated area that we could really focus and test,” he said. “No one has done this big of a seating section for this price in all of professional sports. It’s been a hit since day one.”

Some items aren’t in play — beer ($8 and $10), ice cream and candy are sold from carts at regular prices. But they are included at some other major-league ballparks, which do versions of the eat-til-you-drop concept in smaller seating areas.

The concept was tested three times last season before being launched in April.

Since then, the Dodgers say the section has sold out eight times in 24 home games, with attendance averaging 2,000 in the 3,000 seats.

The Dodgers have ranked second in attendance in the majors for three consecutive seasons, but the right-field pavilion often sat empty in the 56,000-seat stadium. It opened only if the left-field seats, which cost $10, sold out or for large groups. Last season, right-field seats cost $6-to-$8.

“Even with our great attendance, there’s still seats that go unsold,” Greenspun said, explaining that this model was a way to offer fans a defined price.

Greenspun said a handful of other professional sports teams have contacted the Dodgers about copying the idea, including the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers. The Milwaukee Brewers sent their stadium operations chief to check it out.

Fans are allowed four items per trip to the food counters under the stands. Soda stations offer unlimited drinks and bottled water is free.

“Before, no one wanted to work here. It was a hassle,” said Joe Herrera, a 10-year stadium employee. “We used to have the registers and a lot of angry people backed up. Now, the lines go fast and customers don’t complain.”

At times during a recent game against the Brewers, lines were eight-deep as workers quickly handed over fistfuls of grub. The only registers are at the merchandise counter and beer carts.
    “Who can turn down an all-you-can-eat?” asked Lori Nelson, who settled into the bench seats with her two children and her daughter’s 18-year-old boyfriend. “It’s like going to Vegas.”
    The boyfriend, Joe Grable, started his evening with two hot dogs, two sodas and nachos. “Right here is probably $30 worth,” he said. “This is awesome.”

In the rest of the stadium, Dodger Dogs sell for $4.75 and small sodas are $4.75.
    Stadium vendors, including Coca-Cola, California Pizza Kitchen and Kraft, want to test their products on the right-field crowd, Greenspun said. Baby Ruth has already passed out free candy bars.

Liz Roseman of Gardena had one complaint.

“The only thing I’m missing is the chili,” she said, picking up a cheese-slathered nacho chip.
    Greenspun doesn’t even try to spin the food frenzy so that it jibes with the nation’s increased emphasis on eating healthy.

“This is really not about gluttony,” he said. “This is really about offering a new fan amenity. It’s all up to individual choices.”

On a recent night, the right-field seats were two-thirds full of fans merrily munching away, washing it all down with sodas and trotting back for more.

“It’s a trend that’s here to stay,” Greenspun said, “and is going to grow.”

Along with waistlines and cholesterol levels.

Default Re: You know, this could actually boost attendance at Conseco Fieldhouse

Baseball's always been about eating, it's as American as (eating) apple pie. My point is, we really like to eat.

Not sure it'd be as effective for basketball, but I'm sure it wouldn't be a total flop either.

Default Re: You know, this could actually boost attendance at Conseco Fieldhouse

Yes it might increase attendance and if so OK.

But I really don't want to see it from a personal standpoint - I'm always shocked at how many people seemingly eat their entire food consumption for the whole week during a 2 and a half hour Pacers game.

God, I would give anything if Bulletproof were still around to see this. The ultimate "value proposition."

That said, the food at Conseco sucks. No thanks.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Based on the thread title, I was expecting to see that we just traded for a certain former University of Illinois product who will remain nameless.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 07-25-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Mood

It sucks, which is why I wouldn't pay for it. But if I'm hungry enough while having one of these tickets? I could handle a basket of chicken tenders.

Where does Indiana rank in the fattest state list again?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where does Indiana rank in the fattest state list again?
    In 2006, we tied with South Carolina for #8. Donnie and Larry are sitting on a goldmine of gluttony.

It would be tougher to implement in the NBA, because bleacher sections in baseball parks lend themselves to being divided up like they're doing in L.A.. You walk down out of the bleachers, and right in front of you is the "free food" section. They can also likely rope off that section so people can't get in.

At Conseco, you'd probably have to make everyone in that section wear a bracelet or show their ticket every time they wanted more food. You'd also have to have very careful placement and clear marking of the "free food" stalls so people wouldn't try to pay for the free food, and the free food people wouldn't have to walk a mile to get to it (because people who eat a lot are usually lazy . I'm sure it wouldn't stop people who are that determined to "beat the system" via gluttony, but I'm just saying it would be harder to implement.

It sounds like from the article that while you get a lot of different food, the one lady complains that there's no chili available for her nachos. That implies that if you're paya ala carte, you can get chili on your nachos, and the "pig" section can't. My original utopian dream of this scenario had me eating $40 worth of sushi, but not only does Conseco not have anything like sushi, but apparently you can't get it in L.A. for free, either.

$1 hot dogs, popcorn, cracker jacks and peanuts Monday's @ Victory field. I wasn't informed until after I walked in and mentioned to my friend.. "Wow, there are a lot of people for a monday!"

I proceeded to feed my face and can't wait for the next monday game! haha!

Mood

Sports Logo

Something I could see possibly working would be to offer a pre-paid
    swipable card for use at the concession stands. Use of this card would
    get the user enough of a discount (hopefully generous) on purchases
    to make it worthwhile, and would be available to everyone in the
    arena.

OT: And Mal, I think "Bisker" has the pinkest nose I've ever seen on a
    cat.....it almost looks like a piece of bubble gum!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I recently went to a dollar hot dog game for the Indians. I no longer like hot dogs.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Based on the thread title, I was expecting to see that we just traded for a certain former University of Illinois product who will remain nameless.
    Just what I was expecting. Certainly this would boost attendance better than free hot dogs.

The major problem with this is you'd have to re-design the rest rooms in case Spicoli showed up.

Or hire some extra plumbers.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

teY dennaB toN

Fire in the hole!

I hope Kobayashi is a Dodgers fan. That would be more fun than the game itself.

(Side note: its totally awesome that Kobayashi is in the Firefox spell check).

i think it would be a great idea. i also think it could work. one of the many reason i don't even bother to go to (any kind of) games is because the cost of the concessions is simply criminal (seriously). i mean the concessions at movie theaters are a bargain by comparison and that is really sad. sure you will have some powereaters but, those folks are everywhere.
    i'm just so sick to death of going to these places where i pay like 10 bucks or more and all i get for it is about 10 cents worth of coke with about 20 cents worth of chips and a shot glass size of nacho cheese and nothing else to show for it. i hope they do it.
    this would definitely be a step in the right direction. imo

Banned

I dont know, I kinda liked the post game concerts they did back in the 80's. Three Dog Night, Foghat, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    i think it would be a great idea. i also think it could work. one of the many reason i don't even bother to go to (any kind of) games is because the cost of the concessions is simply criminal (seriously). i mean the concessions at movie theaters are a bargain by comparison and that is really sad. sure you will have some powereaters but, those folks are everywhere.
    i'm just so sick to death of going to these places where i pay like 10 bucks or more and all i get for it is about 10 cents worth of coke with about 20 cents worth of chips and a shot glass size of nacho cheese and nothing else to show for it. i hope they do it.
    this would definitely be a step in the right direction. imo

I go to 20-30 games every season and there might be 1 game a year that I actually buy some food. Maybe 5 games where I might buy a coke or something and then the other games I do tend to buy a bottled water ($3.00), I usually re-fill it from one of the drinking fountains - so it isn't too bad of a deal.

If I want something to eat like dinner (before the game) or something a little later (after the game) I eat someplace other than Conseco Fieldhouse.

I don't mean to pick on you clownskull (this certainly isn't directed at you) but when did it become commonplace for people to go to a sporting event and pig out during the sporting event. The number of times I hear friends or relatives say, they missed the whole third quarter because they were getting something to eat, blows my mind. it also is very expensive.

I always laugh when I read the reports about how expensive it is to take a family of 4 to a game. Yes it is when you feed your family lunch, dinner and a smack during the game

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I always laugh when I read the reports about how expensive it is to take a family of 4 to a game. Yes it is when you feed your family lunch, dinner and a smack during the game
    This belongs in your typo hall of fame!

Smack

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This belongs in your typo hall of fame!

Smack
    It had been awhile

The number of times I hear friends or relatives say, they missed the whole third quarter because they were getting something to eat, blows my mind. it also is very expensive.
    People eat when they're depressed. Is it really a surprise people are missing part of the game this past season?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

In baseball you can eat a whole footlong hot dog while the manager walks to the mound, talks to the pitcher, they both have a good scratch, he slowly walks back, and the batter finally gets ready after adjusting his cup, batting helmet, gloves, and taking a spit or two.

Thankfully the pace is a big different in the NBA.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Yes it might increase attendance and if so OK.

But I really don't want to see it from a personal standpoint - I'm always shocked at how many people seemingly eat their entire food consumption for the whole week during a 2 and a half hour Pacers game.
    You'd have to cut the total seating available by about 30% after a year of this, too many fans couldn't fit in their seats.

This is the last thing a place like Indiana needs, it's not like we are the paradigm of slim, healthy figures. How about each seat is now a treadmill and you run whenever the team is running? That shoud shut up the "hey, they are atheletes and it's only 48 minutes, they should play at their peak the entire time without getting tired" crowd.

2 years from now the Pacers win an award for reducing state obseity by 15%!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I don't mean to pick on you clownskull (this certainly isn't directed at you) but when did it become commonplace for people to go to a sporting event and pig out during the sporting event. The number of times I hear friends or relatives say, they missed the whole third quarter because they were getting something to eat, blows my mind. it also is very expensive.

I agree. I have the same feelings about people who get so drunk they can't even tell what's going on at a concert or stand-up show. I mean you spent $40 to get in here, maybe save the drunken bender for later when you can pretend your at the show for free. Taking the edge off is one thing, passed out in the lawn in another.

Same with games where people wander back to their seats 5 minutes into the 3rd (I mean game time, not real time). Sheesh. Go to a restaurant, order and pay for food, but when it shows up don't eat it and instead just stare at the game on TV. Makes as much sense.