Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keep JO a Pacer Thread

Mood

Default Keep JO a Pacer Thread

Just thought it's about time somebody made a thread on why JO should be back for us. Post your reasons why. Here's a few of mine.

1. Just remember how he OWNED Amare in a regular season game this past year. As much hype Amare has been getting, JO I feel is still better than him when JO is healthy. He's better defensively and has better range. So in doubt, remember HE OWNS AMARE!

2. The guy has been a great community figure. No off-court crap from number 7. Very well-spoken and represents himself well.

3. We probably will not get close to fair value back for JO. That's just the reality of the matter.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Keep JO a Pacer Thread

He's one of the top PF's in the game, puts up good point and rebound numbers, top shot blocker and is one of he few bigs who will take a charge. Keep JO!!!!

Ultimately, you keep JO as a Pacer if you can't get fair and reasonable value for him.

If you can find a deal that improves the Pacers position, long-term, then you do it. Otherwise, suit him up.

JO makes us at least a 45 win team this year.

Without JO, we are about a 32 win team. We will not get back fair value in any trade.
    I was ready for Josh Smith to go to Indiana, but he went to the NBA. I am ready for him to come to Indiana once again.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by denyfizle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3. We probably will not get close to fair value back for JO. That's just the reality of the matter.
    It is a buyers market right now and JO is perceived to be injury prone. There is no "probably" about it. We will not get fare value back. Even to trade him for a sub-Allstar, POTENTIAL Allstar, a late round pick, or an unproven PG would be taking a step back. JO can give so much more if in fact other players were to step into their roless effectively. Shooters have to shoot, perimeter defenders have to defend, and point guards have to distribute. If the supporting cast plays well I feel that the shortcomings of JO will not be so pronounced.

I think that JO will be with us unless the axles fall off the wagon like the wheels already have. If we struggle at the start, look for JO to be as vocal as Kobe was.

JO has represented himself as well as the Pacers' organiztion well in his time here.

But, I feel it's time to move on. The P's have got themselves into a bind, salary cap wise, and cannot make any significant moves to improve this team without getting rid of JO's salary.

I will follow his progress wherever he goes, but, for the good of the overall structure, he needs to be traded.

Sorry!! JMT

Peck and bball probably think I'm president of the JO fanclub, but nothing could be further from the truth. There's stuff I don't like about JO. But at the very least, he's still the best big man we've had in the past two decades. I'm not sure I want to waste his best years by putting him on a crap team where all he's accomplishing is keeping us from getting a good lottery pick, but that doesn't mean I'd rather be awful. And right now, we'd be awful without Jermaine.

Jermaine has the tools to dominate the EC. He needs a system that doesn't lead to a 1-on-3 offense, and he needs other guys on the team that are worth guarding. It doesn't look like we're going to get those this year, which frustrates me.

But Jermaine's a great player, and I'm glad to have him on our team for as long as we can get him.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by indyblue47 View Post
    But, I feel it's time to move on. The P's have got themselves into a bind, salary cap wise, and cannot make any significant moves to improve this team without getting rid of JO's salary.

I will follow his progress wherever he goes, but, for the good of the overall structure, he needs to be traded.
    Jermaine's salary is not the problem. He makes slightly more than Dunleavy+Murphy. If you're trying to fix the salary picture, you get rid of Murph+Dun before you get rid of JO.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

JO is a good player and a good character guy. There is no question about that. I believe LB when he says he wants JO here, it is just a matter of if JO wants to be here. The only way I see him getting traded is if JO has requested a trade. And with all the rumors flying around I have to believe that JO has in fact asked to be traded.

With that being said, I have no problem with him staying and I have no problem if we trade him. Our roster with a healthy JO is not as bad as many around here make it out to be. We have talent and we have depth. It is just a matter of if this group of players gel and compliment one another in OBs system. If they do then this team can easily be a 50 win ball club.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ive always wanted JO to stay. The man is one of the few people in the NBA that averages 20 and 10 year in and year out(hes been close enough the past two years.) I think that with the new system he will actually do better in it. He was having a very good season until he started to get injured unfortunately. With the additions of Rush and Diener (shooters) i think it will help Jermaine be more efficient and more durable. I agree with naptown, if this team gels and really buys into JOB's system we could be rather dangerous. NBA Finals no, but competitive in the playoffs, yes.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

would you consider JO a household name like Miller was? I'm not just talking about the state of Indiana...just in general...

I guess one can say he helps sell jerseys...branding/marketing...

Mood

JO is hungry for a championship. this means he will play even harder since he is in his prime. Jo can do it on both ends of the floor. great in the community. And he will still be an allstar next season. If he wins a championship with us, his number probrably will be retired here. And finally, JO is a star that loves indiana. Not very many stars would want to play here because of the cold or other reasons.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Co-sign. KEEP JO
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I'll be the skunk in the box of weebles.

He might be good but he disappears whenever someone gets physical with him. He might be good but he's no longer the "best" even in the east. He might be good but he misses a third of the season due to breaking down. He might be good but he's a camera posing prima donna.

He might be good but his trade is our best bet for the future.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Everyone likes to deride him for his health, but he's no worse off than B.Diddy. Baron was healthy for once heading into the playoffs, and suddenly everyone couldn't get enough of him.

Just saying, perceptions change...
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by denyfizle View Post
    Just thought it's about time somebody made a thread on why JO should be back for us. Post your reasons why. Here's a few of mine.

1. Just remember how he OWNED Amare in a regular season game this past year. As much hype Amare has been getting, JO I feel is still better than him when JO is healthy. He's better defensively and has better range. So in doubt, remember HE OWNS AMARE!

2. The guy has been a great community figure. No off-court crap from number 7. Very well-spoken and represents himself well.

1. No he doesn't, Amare got 18 rebounds in one game, and got 10 in the other with 3 blocks. And besides how a player does against one player doesn't mean much really. Overall quality is what matters.

2. So what exactly does that have to do with winning basketball games? And as I recall JO has gone to court a few times. Not off the court issues, on the court issues.

3. If you believe that you are overrating his value, just like Pacers Management has been for the last couple years. The Guy is drastically overpaid, shoots a horrible percentage and is constantly injured. And has yet to show a single sliver of leadership.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    JO is hungry for a championship. this means he will play even harder since he is in his prime. Jo can do it on both ends of the floor. great in the community. And he will still be an allstar next season. If he wins a championship with us, his number probrably will be retired here. And finally, JO is a star that loves indiana. Not very many stars would want to play here because of the cold or other reasons.
    A) JO is so hungry for a championship, yeah first time the team missed the playoffs in a decade under his leadership.
    B) Being an all-star in any sport doesn't mean much, especially when you are a big man in the leastern conference
    C)He loves Indiana, Ron Artest said that alot too.
    D) JO isn't a star, teams would trade Bynum and Odom for a star in a second.

I want JO to stay for many of the same reasons expressed above. Let's recap:

• Legit "double-double" player
      • Consistent scorer; avg. 20.61 ppg over last 6 yrs!
      • Above average rebounder; avg. 9.75 rpg over last 7 yrs (2.37 Off/7.38 Def)
    • Outstanding shot blocker; avg. 2.37 over 7 yrs
    • Has shown a willingness to sacrafice his body to set picks
    • Outstanding community service ambassador
    • Rather articulate; good spokesman for the franchise
    • Truly cares about "playing the right way" and seeing this franchise succeed
    I'm still trying to get my mind around why so many of you would rather trade him and rebuild. I believe most people's opinion of his value rest either in his contract (i.e., "cost too much for the product") or his end-game performance (i.e., "not a 'take over the game' type of player"). For me, it's a matter of how consistent the player has performed at his position over time. Averaging 20/9 for nearly 7-years I think is worthing of recognition and respect by the league, the franchise and most of all the (local) fans! You keep this guy!! And give him all the accolades due that were once bestowed upon "the scrawny one" who went on to become one of the best clutch 3-pt shooters ever!
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 07-25-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    I'm still trying to get my mind around why so many of you would rather trade him and rebuild.
    i don't think it's that we don't feel he's a good player - he really is -
    but for me it's just that 1) he can opt out next year and i don't want to see him just walk for nothing in return 2) the guy's not getting any younger. in his prime now, well, maybe, but the injuries are a concern and 3) i see a lot of us are thinking he's going to step up to the 5 slot and that just has really never worked in the past.

i'd like to see us keep him IF we were confident he would not opt out. otherwise,
    probably best to try and make a move.

I don't see how he makes a 45 win team. He's injured almost every year. Has he ever played as 82 game season?

Anyway, he is a nice complement to our roster? That's the only thing I can come up with.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is the most talented NBA era player the Pacers have ever had. A six time all star and a likeable guy who represents the franchise well to the public.

JO has his downfalls. He struggles with injuries and falls in love with his mid range jump shot too much.

However JO is still one of the top ten big men in the NBA. And there are probably 20 teams in the NBA that would kill to have him on their roster.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

To be honest. I blame all Jermaine's Injury's on Rick Offensive System!! To have him in a wide open system, You'll see a different Jermaine. He might not get as much touches, but Idon't think he'd care that much if shts were going in and we were winning. It could also save his body for the playoffs. Thus become a beast and can play a more physical game

1. he's an all star....
    2. He doesn't cause trouble
    3. He is great with the community and towards fans
    4.Would you rather have a crittenton jersey or a jermaine o'neal jersey?
    5. JO is the man...
    end of discussion!
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    He is the most talented NBA era player the Pacers have ever had. A six time all star and a likeable guy who represents the franchise well to the public.

JO has his downfalls. He struggles with injuries and falls in love with his mid range jump shot too much.

However JO is still one of the top ten big men in the NBA. And there are probably 20 teams in the NBA that would kill to have him on their roster.

Really there are 20 teams that would kill to have him on the roster? Then how come the Lakers won't even trade Odom or Bynum.

And I am sorry Reggie Miller has more talent in his wierd looking ears than JO has ever displayed. Reggie redefined what it meant to be a shooter, he redefined what time the game was lost. And most of all, Reggie miller at 39 with Anthony Johnson, Austin Croshere, Stephen Jackson, and Jeff Foster as his fellow starters took a team to the playoffs and won a round.

Reggie Miller had a killer instinct and a desire to win that JO has never displayed, I don't think its a coincidence that JOs best year happens to be his last contract year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersin2033 View Post
    A) JO is so hungry for a championship, yeah first time the team missed the playoffs in a decade under his leadership.
    B) Being an all-star in any sport doesn't mean much, especially when you are a big man in the leastern conference
    C)He loves Indiana, Ron Artest said that alot too.
    D) JO isn't a star, teams would trade Bynum and Odom for a star in a second.
    wow...you arent blaming JO for missing the playoffs are you? he went out their on one flippin leg and tryed to gut it out! And he still was taking charges! JO not a star? wow...then I guess tracy mcgrady is not a star if using your logic...
    hater
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER