Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

  1. #1
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,189
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    I know this guy is.

    http://www.nba.com/usabasketball/durantusa_072207.html

    His name already belongs in the same conversation as LeBron James, Frank Robinson and Wayne Gretzky as being considered one of the most dominant teenage athletes of all time, but when it's all said in done, we might be mentioning Kevin Durant with the likes of Bobby Fischer, Mozart, Will Hunting and Doogie Howser as perhaps one of greatest prodigies to ever live.
    Admittedly the basketball world has been quick to honor greatness, sometimes before it's due. Harold Miner, Jerry Stackhouse and Grant Hill were all considered to be "The Next Jordan" early on in their careers, but with Durant the acclaim has been earned.
    He became apart of his accusation by statement above.
    Last edited by Major Cold; 07-23-2007 at 10:58 PM. Reason: me so retardo

  2. #2
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Yup.

  3. #3
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,988

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    I cannot remember the last time I was this impressed the first time I saw a guy play.

  4. #4
    Our hero! GrangerRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    29
    Posts
    951

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Lol. Watch his carreer end up like Harold's and 4 years from now we'll be on here asking if we should pick him up from some Cambodia International barely known league.

    That was the worst case scenerio.


    Best case is he is the next Michael Jordan, wins the next 9 mvps and shuts all the peoples mouth about Lebron James ( which I actually hate, theres no way in hell he's as or even on the same lvl as MJ.)

  5. #5
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,862

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Oden > Durant

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    27
    Posts
    488

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    LeBron > Durant

  7. #7

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Eh. He's certainly got talent, but so did Jon Bender. First thing he has to prove is that his beanpole frame can survive the pounding he's going to take at small forward for 82 games. Then, he's got to prove that he can play well when that pounding gets a lot tougher in the playoffs. Finally, he's got to prove that he can be a leader. He can be every bit the player MJ was, but MJ made the guys around him confident that they could play better, too. Without that, Jordan doesn't have 6 rings. To me, Durant is everything Bender was advertised as, but there's more to basketball than putting the ball in the hole.

  8. #8
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eh. He's certainly got talent, but so did Jon Bender. First thing he has to prove is that his beanpole frame can survive the pounding he's going to take at small forward for 82 games. Then, he's got to prove that he can play well when that pounding gets a lot tougher in the playoffs. Finally, he's got to prove that he can be a leader. He can be every bit the player MJ was, but MJ made the guys around him confident that they could play better, too. Without that, Jordan doesn't have 6 rings. To me, Durant is everything Bender was advertised as, but there's more to basketball than putting the ball in the hole.
    Did Bender put up a 25 PPG in college against some very good competition on an ok team? I'm sorry but I know that you haven't seen Durant a lot if you compare him to Bender. Bender had potential but his game also had A LOT of holes. Durant has a virtually flawless offensive game that, with some polishing and maturation, is quite simply going to be amazing. Also, he just has a certain innate bball iq and feel for the game. At 6'10" he looks SO natural out there. He's never awkward. And the kid is still 18! What gets the most about Durant is that he also has that killer instinct to just flat out take over games in the last two minutes. I know I would feel better about my game if I knew I had a guy like that on my team.
    Last edited by rexnom; 07-24-2007 at 12:05 AM.

  9. #9
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    I pretty much see KD as an MJ/Ghandi/Muhammad Ali/Salma Hayek/Jesus/Einstein/Jimi/Bogart/Hemmingway hybrid but with more more range and better shot-blocking.

  10. #10
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I pretty much see KD as an MJ/Ghandi/Muhammad Ali/Salma Hayek/Jesus/Einstein/Jimi/Bogart/Hemmingway hybrid but with more more range and better shot-blocking.
    I think you're severely underestimating his court vision, and possibly overrating his literary and musical abilities a tad at this point. I'm not saying he won't be a better guitar player than Jimi, but we should wait at least a year to make that call.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  11. #11

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did Bender put up a 25 PPG in college against some very good competition on an ok team? I'm sorry but I know that you haven't seen Durant a lot if you compare him to Bender. Bender had potential but his game also had A LOT of holes. Durant has a virtually flawless offensive game that, with some polishing and maturation, is quite simply going to be amazing. Also, he just has a certain innate bball iq and feel for the game. At 6'10" he looks SO natural out there. He's never awkward. And the kid is still 18! What gets the most about Durant is that he also has that killer instinct to just flat out take over games in the last two minutes. I know I would feel better about my game if I knew I had a guy like that on my team.
    JB was never in college, so it's hard to make that comparison. By "polishing and maturation" do you mean adding 25 lbs of muscle? Look, he could very well be a hall of famer, but he hasn't done it in a regular season game yet, and people are crowning him Savior of the League. You really think guys were guarding him in an intra-squad scrimmage the same way they're going to be doing during the regular season/playoffs once they know his game?

    All I'm saying is that if he stays at his current weight, he *may* struggle with the physical play, especially in the playoffs. And if he's able to put on enough muscle to play well under those conditions, it may effect his shot and his durability (see: JO, Bender, Smits).

    It's still a crapshoot at this point, just like it was a couple months ago. Guy has a forgettable summer league and one solid scrimmage and all of a sudden, he's better than LeBron.

    Man crush, indeed!

    EDIT: Not to mention the leadership aspect. JO is a hell of a player. He really is. But if your best player (and most well-paid player) can't make the players around him better, that team isn't a contender. Case in point: Dominique Wilkins was a HELL of a player. He's a HoF'er. How many titles did he win?
    Last edited by Eindar; 07-24-2007 at 12:24 AM.

  12. #12
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JB was never in college, so it's hard to make that comparison. By "polishing and maturation" do you mean adding 25 lbs of muscle? Look, he could very well be a hall of famer, but he hasn't done it in a regular season game yet, and people are crowning him Savior of the League. You really think guys were guarding him in an intra-squad scrimmage the same way they're going to be doing during the regular season/playoffs once they know his game?

    All I'm saying is that if he stays at his current weight, he *may* struggle with the physical play, especially in the playoffs. And if he's able to put on enough muscle to play well under those conditions, it may effect his shot and his durability (see: JO, Bender, Smits).

    It's still a crapshoot at this point, just like it was a couple months ago. Guy has a forgettable summer league and one solid scrimmage and all of a sudden, he's better than LeBron.

    Man crush, indeed!
    I have a total man crush on Durant...I'm not going to deny it...I'm probably overrating him. I could defend him on and on and such but I'm just going to let his ROY of the year performance next year speak for me.

    Btw, JayRedd, I think you are underestimating KD's killer instinct. Gandhi? Really?

    KD is more of a MJ/Alexander the Great/Muhammad Ali/Jessica Biel/Jesus/Einstein/Jimi/Bogart/Hemmingway/electric hybrid to me.

  13. #13
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,024

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you're severely underestimating his court vision, and possibly overrating his literary and musical abilities a tad at this point. I'm not saying he won't be a better guitar player than Jimi, but we should wait at least a year to make that call.
    ROFL
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  14. #14
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,988

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    I think comparing Bender to Durant is a little like comparing Michael Jordan to Harold Minor. No make that Michael Jordan to Steve McNichols.

    You say you don't know who Steve McNichols is. Exactly, that is my point

  15. #15

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Having seen him play about a dozen times, I love the kid's game. But
    he'll never be Jordan. He's not even close to the explosive athlete
    Jordan was.

    He'll be a tremendous offensive player. But to be great, he'll have to
    get much better defensively (no surprise for a 19-yr old) and quite
    a bit stronger. Otherwise, he'll be giving them up on the other end
    about as fast as he scores them.

    I can't wait to watch him play though. He's got a full toolbox when
    it comes to his offensive skills (as opposed to Bender, who's midrange
    abilities were non-existent).

  16. #16
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having seen him play about a dozen times, I love the kid's game. But
    he'll never be Jordan. He's not even close to the explosive athlete
    Jordan was.

    He'll be a tremendous offensive player. But to be great, he'll have to
    get much better defensively (no surprise for a 19-yr old) and quite
    a bit stronger. Otherwise, he'll be giving them up on the other end
    about as fast as he scores them.

    I can't wait to watch him play though. He's got a full toolbox when
    it comes to his offensive skills (as opposed to Bender, who's midrange
    abilities were non-existent).
    I think it's SO unfair to compare people to MJ. MJ was something else. Kobe Bryant is the closest I've ever seen and still MJ played in a far tougher era defensively. MJ was the complete package. If he were to come out of NC right now, he would still be at the top of the lottery (unlike maybe someone like Larry Bird). Tremendous athleticism, great offense, freakish defense, the list goes on.

    Each player is different. Durant is a joy to watch because there is literally no tool that he doesn't have offensively (or can't develop offensively). (For example, he's going to be a better shooter than LeBron or MJ). He's like a taller T-Mac (with more moves down low) or a more fluid Dirk Nowitzki. Obviously he lacks in strength and defensive prowess but so does two-time MVP Steve Nash, that doesn't mean that these guys aren't going to be fun to watch.

    This is why I'm WAY more excited about Durant and following his development than Oden or any other individual player in the NBA. (It's a fun subplot to following the Pacers religiously).

    EDIT: Just realized we said pretty much the same thing. I guess we agree then.

  17. #17

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Rexnom-

    Totally agree. Only included the MJ reference because someone had
    alluded to KD's 'ceiling' being MJ-esque.

    But ya, there's nothing more enjoyable to me an an NBA fan than
    watching the evolution of an offensive virtuoso with the kind of
    elegant fluidity that KD has.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Comparing anyone to Jordan is foolish. He exploded like no one else ever has - and then he went and made himself a great shooter. An extremely talented overachiever. There have been other guys as athletic (Nique, Kobe) but has anyone been able to just explode to the rim like he could?

    In his own way Lebron's unique too because of the combination of athleticism and power.

    The following players are those I consider to be unique - the guys who so far have been incomparable because nobody has had their combination of skills and athleticism:

    Wilt
    Magic
    Hakeem (he's a bit more marginal in this list IMO but he still had the strength, athleticism AND jump shot)
    MJ
    KG
    Lebron

    I'd have to look at more tape to decide if Oscar belongs on this list - if he physically could do things nobody has been able to do since. I think Sabonis in his younger years might fit in this group too but I'm going with NBA players.

    I don't think - at this point - that Durant will be as unique. From what I've seen of him he reminds me of a slightly taller T-Mac with a sound back. But IMO he's the surest player in this draft - surer than Oden though I'd have picked Greg over him myself just because I think you had to.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  19. #19

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Let's not forget too, that MJ had an incredible 'will to win'. The only
    other guy I've ever seen who was even close was our 'beloved' GM,
    Mr. Bird.

  20. #20
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The following players are those I consider to be unique - the guys who so far have been incomparable because nobody has had their combination of skills and athleticism:

    Wilt
    Magic
    Hakeem (he's a bit more marginal in this list IMO but he still had the strength, athleticism AND jump shot)
    MJ
    KG
    Lebron
    Charles Barkley HAS TO be on that list.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you're severely underestimating his court vision, and possibly overrating his literary and musical abilities a tad at this point. I'm not saying he won't be a better guitar player than Jimi, but we should wait at least a year to make that call.
    I give him a higher ceiling than Jimi because he does what he does without the performance enhancing acid under the eyelid.

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Btw, JayRedd, I think you are underestimating KD's killer instinct. Gandhi? Really?

    KD is more of a MJ/Alexander the Great/Muhammad Ali/Jessica Biel/Jesus/Einstein/Jimi/Bogart/Hemmingway/electric hybrid to me.
    The Gandi inclusion was because of KD's indomitable will.

    But you're definitely right, we should factor his killer instinct in there. Let's add both Jaws and The Predator to the list (although I think his UPside is higher than both).
    Last edited by JayRedd; 07-24-2007 at 12:42 PM.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Charles Barkley HAS TO be on that list.
    I'm slow, fat and can't jump ...
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  22. #22
    Member tdubb03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    721

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    That JayRedd/Anthem exchange is why I love PD.

  23. #23

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Comparing Durant to Bender is inaccurate, because Durant is overwhelmingly more polished, fluid, skilled, and basketball savy than Bender has ever showed. I've never watched Bender play and thought he could take over a game or that he even knew what he was doing. At best, Bender compared to Eddie Griffin, while Durant is a more atheletic and polished Nowitzki.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Comparing Durant to Bender is inaccurate, because Durant is overwhelmingly more polished, fluid, skilled, and basketball savy than Bender has ever showed. I've never watched Bender play and thought he could take over a game or that he even knew what he was doing. At best, Bender compared to Eddie Griffin, while Durant is a more atheletic and polished Nowitzki.
    I'll compare them.

    Durant is what Bender MIGHT have been if he'd had any basketball skills.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  25. #25
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm slow, fat and can't jump ...
    Did you also stand 6'5" and put up 23 and 15 in a season?

    Guy was an unmovable statue/rabid bulldog in the paint and a runaway freight train on the break. His level of strength, power, speed, balance, finesse and athleticism will never again be seen at that size.

    Carlos Boozer mildly resembles it......but that's pretty much like me saying the snow angel I made last Christmas resembles the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel.

Similar Threads

  1. Suns crush Jazz, closing in on No. 2 seed in West (ESPN.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 12:50 AM
  2. Bulls crush Bobcats, close in on No. 2 seed (ESPN.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2007, 11:50 PM
  3. Pistons crush Clippers without suspended Wallace (ESPN.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 07:00 PM
  4. Mavs crush Bulls despite Chicago's new starting lineup (ESPN.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2006, 01:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •