Thread: What are the extreme things you have done to watch Pacers

Default What are the extreme things you have done to watch Pacers

Excuse the boring title to this thread, I could not come up with a good one.

My question is what is the most extreme thing you have done to watch a Pacer game either in person or on TV.

Have you called in sick to work in order to watch a game. Have you quit a job to watch a game. Have you choosen a career so you don't work nights so you can watch a game. Have you driven hours to watch a game

What is the most money you have ever spent to see a pacers game in person.

Hopefully you see what I am asking.

I certainly have taken a few vacation hours to watch a Pacers game, I did that last Monday.

The craziest thing I think I have done to watch a game was a few years back I forget the circumstances, but where I was living then I could not get the game on NBA League Pass, so I drove about an hour to get into WB4's viewing area, stopped at a hotel, asked if they could rent me a room for a few hours, they said they couldn't, (I guess it was not that type of hotel), so I paid a full nights rate, approx $60.00, watched the Pacers game, they lost, I drive back home.

When I choose a career, I did not want a job where I would be working evenings, nor did a want a job where I would be traveling in the evenings.

I once paid $100.00 for one ticket to watch the pacers play the Knicks game 6 of the 1994 eastern conference finals.

During the NBA season, if I go on vacation I either plan it around Pacers games, or I go during the allstar break.

I have a few other things I have done, but I'll leave it there for now

Mood

Default Re: What are the extreme things you have done to watch Pacers

When I become a teacher, I'm glad I won't have to worry about missing too many games.

Uhhh, I've stayed up really late to watch west coast games.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, I was on my way back from Seattle, WA and I had a choice to fly into Fort Wayne, my hometown at the time...or... to fly into Indianapolis for the '97 home opener at the cost of $100 more for the flight.

When I got to Indy, I quickly reallized that I had:
    1. lost my credit card = No rental car!!!
    2. No way to Ft. Wayne
    3. to take a cab downtown ($25)
    4. get a room for my luggage ($130)
    5. get a decent ticket without getting robbed by the scalpers ($50)
    6. Get a hold of someone to take my sorry @ss home. (Free, but a ***** load of gried)

I would be lying if I told you that I knew it would cost me that much, but I just wanted to see them and I just figured that I would just have to pay extra to fly to Indy, and tickets. Too bad I didn't consider a lost credit card turning a trip to Indy hellacious!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I got DirecTV and the NBA pass for the sole purpose of watching the Pacers.

At work I always make sure the Pacers game is on the DirecTV kiosk

I jump up and down, stomp my feet and scream during the games at work

A year ago New Years eve, while on a cruise ship floating in the Caribbean, my wife and I left a party and went to the Internet Cafe to hear the last half of the Pacers game at a cost of about a buck a minute. As I remember, the game was in New Orleans and we won.

The party was still going when we got back.

April 3 years ago, my wife and I went to St. Martin in the Caribbean to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, and took our kids.

We arrived and I was very anxious to get to our hotel.

Why? Game 1 of the Sixer-Pacers playoff series. While my wife and kids hit the beach, I was probably the only person in this island paradise parked in front of a TV on a Sunday afternoon.

Thankfully the cable at the hotel had the game. I had tried to find out in advance, but the English spoken by the hotel staff left me worried.

Anyway, the Pacers won game 1, and then tanked the rest of the series, which were night games that I managed to watch from the hotel room or restaurant bars.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo

I dont consider anything I have done to be extreme. I have driven into the broadcast area for WB4 when it was not on the dish once going to a hotel but usually finding a bar where it would be on.

I have planned my vacations arround when the games are for several years so I take it for granted that all of you guys do too I guess.

I have been needing to run to Florida all month and have put it off untill this week (I am leaving tomorrow) so that I would only miss one game rather than in weeks past where I might have missed two or three. I should be back Saturday in time for the game but if not I will be in the NBA restaurant in Orlando to watch it.

I have rushed from the airport to a game but I did not re route myself from another airport. I was returning from a trip and when I booked the flight I knew the Pacers would be playing the day I came back, so I chose the early flight (It was a Sunday) and got back in time for the game (It was the Heat and Zoe killed us.)

While I was on the trip I went to Damons to watch the game (Pacers/Knicks on TNT)

Opened an office in Dayton OH several years ago and was living both in Dayton durring the week and in Fort Wayne on the weekends. I actually had league pass in both places just so that I would not miss any games.

I dont consider anything I have done to be extreme. I actually had league pass in both places just so that I would not miss any games.
    You don't consider paying twice for league pass just a bit extream? I DO!

During the entire '94 playoffs, I had a one-bedroom apartement in Bloomington with a TV but no cable (it's pretty much impossible to get Indy tv stations here w/out cable). I was able to get a crappy but watchable picture on WB4 by putting my TV on the TOILET in the bathroom, attaching rabbit ears and connecting them via a telephone cord to the shower curtain rod.

I was working at a gas station at the time and on at least two occasions I closed up two + hours early (w/out the boss knowing) so I could watch the Pacers/Knicks on my crappy TV, sitting on a beanbag chair in the hallway outside my bathroom.

Was it worth the trouble? HELL YES!

Sports Logo

I dont consider anything I have done to be extreme. I actually had league pass in both places just so that I would not miss any games.
    You don't consider paying twice for league pass just a bit extream? I DO!
    So I paid 300 dollars that year instead of 150. If I lived in Indy I would have spent a lot more than that going to the games. (Of course I still went to 15 games that year)

I was the guy btown killed because he couldn't see my hand held TV.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

debohstheman

if i could tell you how many times ive passed up sex with different girlfriends to stay up and watch the west coast games...

if i could tell you how many times ive passed up sex with different girlfriends to stay up and watch the west coast games...
    3 letters, dude:

VCR

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't wanna know how many times I've missed out on....what was that called again????? Well you know what I mean.

What I'd like to know is the really weird things my ex-wife did while I was at a game
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

During the 2000 Finals I talked my wife's doctor into inducing my wife a day early so she would have our son on the off day between game 1 & game 2. We checked into Community North Hospital 3 hours before game 1 (TV in the room), they induced her shortly after the finish of the game, had our son the next morning and he got to see his first Pacer game the next day!

I always tell anyone who asks "when is his birthday" that "he was born on the off day between game 1 and game 2 of the Pacers/Lakers NBA Finals", then I give them the date since they likely don't know this date

MarcD
    "Because clever got me this far, then tricky got me in..."

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I forgot to mention that I left convention meetings early so I could get back to the hotel to see what little I could of the Pacer/Laker finals series. I was in Honolulu at the time. (Current Mrs. Geezer, Geezer Jr. and Geezerette were not impressed...they felt if I could leave early to see a game then I could leave early to be at the beach too)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've got two stories:

(1) I was starting to get realy queazy just a couple of hours before Game #3 of the first round, 1994 playoffs. We were up 2-0 on Orlando, and about to advance to the second round for the first time ever, so I grabbed my broom and headed for MSA.

In the Arena Sporting Goods parking lot, I vomited. I attributed it to nerves. Our seats were directly behind the west basket (Aisle 1) - we were in the first row above the sound board, so we had to look through the backboard to see the court. I imagine that if a player was shooting FTs, we were the fans they could see through the backboard.

I actually had come down with the flu. I missed a couple of days of work after the game! I take some credit for Shaq's 0-8 FT shooting since he had to look at my nauseaus, flu-ridden body every time he shot a FT. I can't take any credit for Penny's nine turnovers that night, however - that was the Pacers' great defensive effort.

It was a very funny sight to see all the brooms that night - lined up along the sixth floor entrance to MSA because security wouldn't let us bring them in.

Second story:

I literally moved to Chicago the week of the 2000 NBA Finals. I attended game #3 in person. During game #4 I was driving the moving truck up I-65. I lost Mark and Slick on the radio at Merriville, just as Sam Perkins hit the three pointer to send the game to OT. I never could have imagined what happened next - no Chicago radio station was carrying the game. ESPN radio was broadcasting a White Sox game. I had to listen to some "Wayne's World" type sports call-in show in which the host was watching the game on TV and giving periodic updates.

We unloaded the moving truck on the day between games #4 and #5, and I was back in Indiana to see game #5 in person (and I let my wife unpack all the boxes!!!!!)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

During the 2000 Finals I talked my wife's doctor into inducing my wife a day early so she would have our son on the off day between game 1 & game 2. We checked into Community North Hospital 3 hours before game 1 (TV in the room), they induced her shortly after the finish of the game, had our son the next morning and he got to see his first Pacer game the next day!

I always tell anyone who asks "when is his birthday" that "he was born on the off day between game 1 and game 2 of the Pacers/Lakers NBA Finals", then I give them the date since they likely don't know this date

MarcD
    That's great!
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

We are all very sick. But it is a good sickness. Although some of my family members think I have a screw loose when I say things like there is nothing I would rather being doing than watching a Pacer game, and I do mean nothing, and there is no place I would rather be than at Conseco.

If I died tomorrow, sure I would miss a lot of people, but I would miss the Pacers in a different way but just as much.

Some great stories in this thread.

hmmm I tried something extreme to watch a game and did some extreme things to watch NBA games in general

Pacers: bought return ticket once when staying in Atl for business to go to see the Pacers play, only to have the plain be delayed (take off ) by 1.5 hours and to arrive in Indianapolis just in time for a drink and a return flight.

Flew to Chicago to see the Pacers play Jordan c.s. from the Netherlands after landing at 7 am from a flight from Hong Kong, only to realize in Chicago (12 hour stay) that the game i wanted to see was the night before, had to settle for Bulls - Nets at that moment.

Listen to the games on audio league pass now, though it means i never get to bed on game nights before 4 am, and woe the west-coast trips, lots of all nighters there

oh and I let Hicks run a website on my servers, now THAT's pretty extreme ;p

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Back in the olden days, before so many games were on TV, getting good radio reception was an issue. WIBC's signal had never carried really well, and there were not a lot of affiliate stations in southern Indiana.

I remember carrying my radio everywhere trying to get good reception. Once I was working on a roofing job as a teenager (re-roofing a barn) and found that I was so high up that the radio came in great. I listened to at least one Pacers game up there on the roof.

After I could drive, it seemed like the best WIBC reception was from car radios. I would drive around until I found a spot where it would come in clearly. It it happened to be on a country road, I'd pull over and listen to the game.