Thread: Suns in Hi-Def all year

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Suns in Hi-Def all year

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...unshd0720.html

Found a thread about this at the Rockets forum. How about that, all the local broadcasts of games in HD. And to think how awful most local feeds of the Pacers look, though it's not as bad since they left channel 4 which was way too saturated.

Hey, maybe instead of spending $4m on a backup PG, go buy a couple of HD cameras and work a deal with 23 or someone to retransmit the FoxMW feed in local HD digital over the air. That would bring in some casual fans who just want to use their HD for anything (which is how I end up watching hour long shows about mollusks and pine trees).

Default Re: Suns in Hi-Def all year

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Found a thread about this at the Rockets forum. How about that, all the local broadcasts of games in HD. And to think how awful most local feeds of the Pacers look, though it's not as bad since they left channel 4 which was way too saturated.

Hey, maybe instead of spending $4m on a backup PG, go buy a couple of HD cameras and work a deal with 23 or someone to retransmit the FoxMW feed in local HD digital over the air. That would bring in some casual fans who just want to use their HD for anything (which is how I end up watching hour long shows about mollusks and pine trees).
    i know exactly what you mean, i've gotten hooked on the mojo channel though. good point about it bringing casual fans just to use their HD, that never occured to me.

What's funny is CW4 would still be the best option if you really want to see the games in HD. Nothing compares to the beautiful uncompressed OTA signal.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Yeah, this is why I was ****ed when they were forced off CW4. It'll be for freakin' ever before we get HD games now.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have an HD FSN channel for my HD cable through Comcast. Though it isn't showing anything yet hopefully it will show Pacer's games come this fall. I live in Columbus so maybe it's different down here??

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Once you watch games in HD, it's hard to go back. . Especialy if you have a sound system also!!

Someone help me out here--what exactly is so great about HD?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Have you watched a single game on an HDTV during an actual HD broadcast? If so, I don't think you'd even have to ask IMO. Particularly TNT's broadcasts in HD.

I've seen a few Colts games on my uncle's giant HD screen. It just seemed like watching a game to me. (And yeah the HD feed was on, or whatnot. It was in HD)

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    I've seen a few Colts games on my uncle's giant HD screen. It just seemed like watching a game to me. (And yeah the HD feed was on, or whatnot. It was in HD)
    Then it wasn't setup right and you weren't watching HD.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

No, it was HD. It was still just television, though.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    and only 10 people will bother showing up to Pacer games...

No, it was HD. It was still just television, though.

No sports fans watches a game in HD for the first time and doesn't get blown away. Plenty of people have HD TV's setup wrong and watch the the SD feed instead of the HD feed, or the TV is fed thru the wrong inputs, or the cable installer left the cable box setup wrong and it doesn't actually output HD (if you watch the HD feed thru SD inputs the picture will look better just because the source is so much better but it's nowhere close to HD quality. (This fools some people into thinking they are seeing HD because it's true widescreen and does look somewhat better... but there's no real 'wow' factor)). It's also possible that the TV focus is badly off.

These things are far and away the usual answer for people who make comments like your's. The technology is still too misunderstood and too many people buy an HDTV and don't get it setup properly either because the cable guy wasn't on the ball or the set owner himself isn't on the ball enough. Things like there being the normal channel 8 (analog) CBS in Indy and a wholly different channel WISH broadcasts the HD on snag a lot of people.

Also, not every game is in HD so I guess there's always the possibility that you just caught games that weren't HD games.

Just because the voiceover or network's "Presented in HD" logo pops up on the screen doesn't mean that is the feed you are watching. That shows up on the SD version too... It will always say "Where Available" with it because there are not two complete broadcasts for the SD and HD versions of the game. One is just downconverted for the SD distribution.

I refuse to believe you watched an HD game for the first time and came away unimpressed. Maybe it's true, but you'd be one of the few.

-Bball
    Last edited by Bball; 07-22-2007 at 09:42 AM.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Yeah, if you watched HD you would totally know it. Trust us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    No sports fans watches a game in HD for the first time and doesn't get blown away. Plenty of people have HD TV's setup wrong and watch the the SD feed instead of the HD feed, or the TV is fed thru the wrong inputs, or the cable installer left the cable box setup wrong and it doesn't actually output HD (if you watch the HD feed thru SD inputs the picture will look better just because the source is so much better but it's nowhere close to HD quality. (This fools some people into thinking they are seeing HD because it's true widescreen and does look somewhat better... but there's no real 'wow' factor)). It's also possible that the TV focus is badly off.

These things are far and away the usual answer for people who make comments like your's. The technology is still too misunderstood and too many people buy an HDTV and don't get it setup properly either because the cable guy wasn't on the ball or the set owner himself isn't on the ball enough. Things like there being the normal channel 8 (analog) CBS in Indy and a wholly different channel WISH broadcasts the HD on snag a lot of people.

Also, not every game is in HD so I guess there's always the possibility that you just caught games that weren't HD games.

Just because the voiceover or network's "Presented in HD" logo pops up on the screen doesn't mean that is the feed you are watching. That shows up on the SD version too... It will always say "Where Available" with it because there are not two complete broadcasts for the SD and HD versions of the game. One is just downconverted for the SD distribution.

I refuse to believe you watched an HD game for the first time and came away unimpressed. Maybe it's true, but you'd be one of the few.

-Bball
    They were def in HD. In fact, I've seen games at two different houses in HD (both, coincidentally, my uncles' houses). I don't think that they were -both- messing up. And I mean, yeah, the picture was better, but it wasn't something mind-blowing. Maybe you're right though, and it was SD or something like that.

I've even seen the difference btwn HD and nonHD on both TV, I think.

Anyway, maybe I've seen HD and maybe I haven't. Personally, it was so long ago that I haven't got a vivid image of it anyway. (Though, of those games, at least one of them had to be on HD, I'd say). What is it about it that is so mind-blowing? I won't have a chance to watch any HD TV anytime soon, so I'm still kinda curious. If you had to somehow describe the difference that's there, how would you? (I know that's not the easiest question... just curious)

. What is it about it that is so mind-blowing? I won't have a chance to watch any HD TV anytime soon, so I'm still kinda curious. If you had to somehow describe the difference that's there, how would you? (I know that's not the easiest question... just curious)
    The best way to say it is that as soon as a sports fan sees a game on my HDTV they must have their own HDTV.

An HDTV purchase suddenly becomes a priority.

Same goes for movie watchers.

With sports their is a "Wow" factor that I can't describe but once you see it you never want to watch SD sports again. The only people that I know of who have your opinion are people that barely follow sports and are lucky to watch 3 games (of any kind) all year... or people who thought they were watching HD when they weren't.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Discovery HD Theater is amazing also, you can tell the difference between SD and HD when you switch back and forth between the channels. The picture has so many colors and it's so crisp.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not a big TV-watcher by any means, but the second I saw HD for the first time, I began saving for my own. It is absolutely amazing.

And I have a PS3 too, so it's extra amazing.

But if Pacers games were in HD, ticket sales would plummet even further.

I've been on the HD wagon for a about 5 years. Back then very few programs were in hi-def and many people asked themselves was it worth it. The first time I saw a college football game I was addicted. Not to sound strange but you seriously can see a single drop of sweat on someone's forehead it's that clear. As BBall says, people simply say wow!!!!!!!!

Had invited several friends over for the Janet Jackson SuperBowl so it was funny as hell between the HDtv wow and the I can't believe they just did that wow.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    Once you watch games in HD, it's hard to go back. . Especialy if you have a sound system also!!
    Yeah the picture is so clear you can see the stress lines the refs have from wondering if they can beat the spread.

Yeah, but could it make the Pacers win more? ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    I'm not a big TV-watcher by any means, but the second I saw HD for the first time, I began saving for my own. It is absolutely amazing.

And I have a PS3 too, so it's extra amazing.

But if Pacers games were in HD, ticket sales would plummet even further.
    Of course now I can't remember it, but there's a radio commercial that's run during Pacers post game for years, don't remember if it's for H.H. Gregg or what, with a guy thanking them for his great TV and that he doesn't have to go to games anymore. There's also a line about him telling his wife that the cheerleaders don't look that hot when you see them in HD.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

The finals on ABC-HD was amazing

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

-Bball
    I agree somewhat. Certainly opinion and taste are factors, but I actually had to fix a friend's TV setup when I showed up and they were enjoying "HD"...I immediately suspected that something was really wrong, at the very least that the signal was compressed way too much. Turns out he wasn't getting the HD feed on the cable box. A cheap antenna later and I had the OTA up and running and the entire room was shocked.

And uncompressed HD, especially running at 1080 progressive? Like a window. The cable and sat feeds still feature compression that ruins some of the benefit.

Since we have DirecTV I'd really like to have a local OTA option. I mean you have all that bandwidth given out to meet the "all digital broadcasting" regulation and it's hardly going to use most of the time.

BTW, Colts games are shown in HD fairly often, didn't seem to curb ticket sales. TV puts the team in the mind of more potential ticket buyers a lot more than it makes the people who are going to games decide to stay home instead. WINNING makes people buy tickets. You sit at home watching the festive arena enjoying a Pacers winning streak and it makes you want to come be a part of it.

The Pacers expanded their broadcasting about 10 years ago or so, back when you had maybe 35 games a year, jumping up to around 76 or so. They still sold more tickets than ever thanks to the on-court product.

Ask yourself this - if you watched the AFC CG on TV would you rather have been at the game instead? I mean it was only 56 thousand of us having a party together, no way that could compete with your 8-guys-in-the-living-room-sharing-bean-dip festivus.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 07-23-2007 at 10:32 AM.

The Lakers already beat them to it. All of the Laker games that weren't on FSN (so on regular KCal) was done in HD.