Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sources: Colts' Tarik Glenn considering retirement

Default Sources: Colts' Tarik Glenn considering retirement

Holy Shiite Muslims! Not good. Not good at all. I hope Tony Ugoh is locked in a sequestered fortress with Howard Mudd and Tom Zupancik as we speak. I wonder if the Colt's got wind of this when the made that 2nd Round swap with San Fran during the draft.

Sources: Colts' Tarik Glenn considering retirement
    By Mike Chappell and Phillip B. Wilson
    mike.chappell@indystar.com
    July 20, 2007

Offensive tackle Tarik Glenn will not be back to help the Indianapolis Colts defend their Super Bowl title, according to several people close to the 10-year veteran, choosing instead to retire.

None of Glenn's teammates would confirm the decision publicly, and repeated attempts to reach Glenn were unsuccessful.

When asked to comment on his client's decision, agent Ralph Cindrich said any response would have to come from Glenn.

Colts coach Tony Dungy said earlier this week he recently talked with Glenn, but would not divulge the nature of the discussions. "Probably the best person to speak to on that is him,'' Dungy said.

Barring a change of heart by Glenn, 31, the Colts will report to training camp on July 29 without their second-longest tenured player, and one who has appeared in the past three Pro Bowls. The Colts selected Glenn with the 19th overall pick in the 1997 draft. Only Marvin Harrison, the team's 1996 first-round draft pick, has been around longer.

Glenn, who will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, has started 154 regular-season games during his career. The last 138 have come at left tackle as quarterback Peyton Manning's backside protector. With Glenn setting the pace, the Colts' offensive line continually has ranked among the NFL's best at limiting sacks.

The Colts' options at replacing him include Charlie Johnson, a sixth-round pick in 2006 who primarily saw action at right tackle as a rookie, and Tony Ugoh, their second-round pick in the April draft. They traded their 2008 first-round pick in order to get into position to select Ugoh, then indicated he might be Glenn's eventual successor.
    Please be a Mercedes and not a Yugo.

New starting left tackle?

Default Re: Sources: Colts' Tarik Glenn considering retirement

Oh damn.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Eh, a lot of OTs get to about the age of 31 and don't like going to training camp anymore.

And I know he said he's fine with the Colts drafting his replacement and likely letting him play out his contract without an extension, but I can't help but think this is a little bit of an "FU" to Polian.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow...this came out of left field. That is not going to help things.

Ew...that sucks. I hope he stays.

Banned

Oh god no, although I would like to take this occasion to mock everybody who mocked the Colts moving up to get Ugoh.

But please don't do it Glenn, please we need you.

Maybe you're right Btown, but Glenn was sounding nothing but positive back in June when he was doing everything to help get Ugoh up to speed during Minicamp. He's gonna be a free agent next year. If he's really wanting more dough, he's going to get it big time from someone if not us:

“This organization has done nothing but do well by me. They’ve been with me through a lot of the good times as well as the hard times, personally. I can honestly say I’ll do whatever I can to help build this organization and to help build this team – not only for this year, but for years to come.

“If that means to get the second-round draft pick focused not only on the field, but off the field, I’m willing to be committed to doing that.”
    http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=ar...7-78d5d422ae3f

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow. I hope Tarik chooses to stay another year at least. Good luck to him in whatever he chooses though.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe you're right Btown, but Glenn was sounding nothing but positive back in June when he was doing everything to help get Ugoh up to speed during Minicamp. He's gonna be a free agent next year. If he's really wanting more dough, he's going to get it big time from someone if not us:

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=ar...7-78d5d422ae3f

Every passing year, that "big time" amount decreases. And what better time to remind everyone of your value than coming off a Super Bowl win with a super green rookie behind you? Glenn's never given any indication of being this sort of guy, but it IS a business in the end.

Yeah, it is kind of strange that it happened the week after Freeney signed for 72 mil. We shall see. I hope he's just blowing smoke.

Come on one more year Tarik go for the repeat.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

A couple of things I have always hated about pro athletes:

1. If you are going to retire or even thinking about retiring let the club know instead of waiting right before camps opens. It's BS.

2. Players who come to camp or just before camp before they get surgical treatment they have needed.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Tarik Glenn moves early into retirement....

Hmmm....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tarik Glenn moves early into retirement....

Hmmm....

-Bball

Yes indeed I hope this is just a false start on Tarik's part.

We shall see...

Figures I got a few things autographed by Stokley ,Glenn last year....
    Last edited by Frank Slade; 07-20-2007 at 11:48 PM.

Why Not Us ?

Oh, **** me.

Damn, moving up to get Ugoh looks damn good now. As said above, it's certainly not uncommon for OT's to retire young, but damn.

Damn damn damn damn damn. There, I think I got it out of my system.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

We're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!! C'mon guys we can recover from this if it does come to fruition. I mean its not like we won the Super Bowl last year or anything.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

I hope he stays.

Damn.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

We'll know a little more by next Sunday. I suspect Tarik wants an extension of two or three years then retire. Camp is only three weeks long so I could see him try to stay out of the sun until things move back to Indy.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

If he needs the preseason off I say give it to him.

Charlie Johnson did look really good in the Super Bowl, but that was at right tackle and mostly running the ball. I don't know if Diem has ever played left tackle or not? Even if Ugoh ends up being a productive player this year, I can't see them opening up with a rookie at left tackle.

Maybe Manning and Saturday can coax Glenn back into the fold.

Neither Diem nor Johnson has the foot speed to play left tackle. Good, solid players, but speed rushers would pose a big problem for either of them.

Can Tony Ugoh play there? We'll see, I guess.

As for Glenn, I think everyone who's even remotely upset needs to step back a minute. He's always come across as a good guy. Always. I'm absolutely willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He's a 300+ pound man who's had problems keeping his weight under control his entire career. This football business can't be easy on his body.

Remember, he's 31 and played 16 games in all but one season, in which he played 10, since 1997. That's a lot of wear and tear.

The selection of Ugoh makes me think the Colts knew this was a possibility. Maybe Tarik said he was going to think about it over the summer. Maybe the Colts decided they'd have a backup plan ready, for this year or next. Who really knows?

Could this be about money? Sure. In this world of sports that we love so much, I'll never be so naive to rule it out.

But if Tarik wants to ride off into the sunset after a Super Bowl win -- mind and body mostly intact -- good for him. I'd wish him luck and thank him for the work he put in helping my favorite team win.

One more note ... there's no way Tarik would be able to skip a training camp. For one, it'll blow the chemistry on the offensive line. Two, he'll never get into shape.

Either is a recipe for getting Peyton demolished. We'd have our own personal David Carr.

Just a bad idea.

I don't blame him at all - he's made a ton of money , won a super bowl, been part of a great offense. He might not want to have 15 knee surgeries and have trouble walking for the rest of his life and maybe, just maybe quiting now will benefit him for years to come. How can you blame him when you see a 50 year old former NFL player who can barely walk.

I could be wrong but still think it's about money and can't blame Tarik. It's his last chance at a decent payday and has to use as much leverage as he can. Brett Farve and star guys are secretive on their plans while the average player (yes I know Tarik is pro bowl) just come out and announce it.

Should also be interesting to see which guys already have nagging injuries before camp even begins. I predict an early precautionary exit for Dwight.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I hope it's about the money because if it's about just him being satisfied then he will be leaving. I don't blame him either way, but what a shocker.

You see SB teams flop the following year, this is how it happens. Losing key pieces while others get better, not to mention that while the Colts were great there was some luck along the way too (so many close calls just in the AFC CG).

I certainly don't view them as favorites next season. I'd be 10 times as impressed if they could win the SB this year than I was with last year's win.

Pay him whatever he wants, no way do I want to see Ryan Diem at LT.

IOW, this would be Peyton:
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!