Sources: Colts' Tarik Glenn considering retirement
By Mike Chappell and Phillip B. Wilson
July 20, 2007
Offensive tackle Tarik Glenn will not be back to help the Indianapolis Colts defend their Super Bowl title, according to several people close to the 10-year veteran, choosing instead to retire.
None of Glenn's teammates would confirm the decision publicly, and repeated attempts to reach Glenn were unsuccessful.
When asked to comment on his client's decision, agent Ralph Cindrich said any response would have to come from Glenn.
Colts coach Tony Dungy said earlier this week he recently talked with Glenn, but would not divulge the nature of the discussions. "Probably the best person to speak to on that is him,'' Dungy said.
Barring a change of heart by Glenn, 31, the Colts will report to training camp on July 29 without their second-longest tenured player, and one who has appeared in the past three Pro Bowls. The Colts selected Glenn with the 19th overall pick in the 1997 draft. Only Marvin Harrison, the team's 1996 first-round draft pick, has been around longer.
Glenn, who will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, has started 154 regular-season games during his career. The last 138 have come at left tackle as quarterback Peyton Manning's backside protector. With Glenn setting the pace, the Colts' offensive line continually has ranked among the NFL's best at limiting sacks.
The Colts' options at replacing him include Charlie Johnson, a sixth-round pick in 2006 who primarily saw action at right tackle as a rookie, and Tony Ugoh, their second-round pick in the April draft. They traded their 2008 first-round pick in order to get into position to select Ugoh, then indicated he might be Glenn's eventual successor.