Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Ref to be arrested for fixing games.....

Default NBA Ref to be arrested for fixing games.....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7042010?MSNHPHMA

Report: NBA ref probed for fixing games

/ FOXSports.com
    Posted: 59 minutes ago

The FBI is preparing to arrest an NBA referee and several organized crime associates for fixing the outcomes of games the referee worked in, according to the New York Post.

The report says the number of games in which the group won large bets was in the "double digits" and includes games from the past two seasons.
    Sources told the paper the referee had a gambling problem and wound up indebted to mob-related bookies.
    The name was not released, but the Post says David Stern has a report on the referee and is aware of the investigation. Check out the full story from the Post.

Default Re: NBA Ref to be arrested for fixing games.....

This could be very bad.....Wonder if any of the games were playoff games? This could be huge actually....

LOL. .not suprised

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/...rray_weiss.htm

NBA IN A 'FIX'

By MURRAY WEISS
    July 20, 2007 -- THE FBI is investigating an NBA referee who allegedly was betting on basketball games - including ones he was officiating during the past two seasons - as part of an organized-crime probe in the Big Apple, The Post has learned.

The investigation, which began more than a year ago, is zeroing in on blockbuster allegations that the referee was making calls that affected the point spread to guarantee that he - and the hoods who had their hooks in him - cashed in on large bets.
    Federal agents are set to arrest the referee and a cadre of mobsters and their associates who lined their pockets, sources said.
    "These are dangerous people [the referee] was involved with," a source said.
    One source close to the probe counted the number of games on which the ref and his wiseguy buddies scored windfalls in the "double digits."
    NBA Commissioner David Stern is aware of the investigation and has a report about the referee on his desk, another source said.
    The official, whose name was withheld, allegedly wagered on games during the 2005-06 and 2006-07 NBA seasons.
    James Margolin, an FBI spokesman, declined comment on the latest black eye for professional sports.
    The sources indicated the referee apparently had a gambling problem, slipped into debt and fell prey to mob thugs.
    "That's how he got himself into this predicament" by wagering with mob-connected bookies, one source said.
    Professional basketball has remained largely unscathed by allegations of game-fixing, although college basketball has been rocked by several scandals involving point-shaving by players, but not officials.
    One of the most recent was a Boston College point-shaving scam arranged in the 1980s by mobster Henry Hill, who bribed several players. Hill later became a government informant, and his life was depicted in the movie "GoodFellas."
    Having a referee in their pockets provides a two-fold bonanza to game fixers.
    Gamblers would be able to directly cash in by betting on games where they knew the point spread was compromised.
    But having a ref in their pocket could prove even more lucrative to crooks in a bookmaking syndicate.
    Bookmakers hope to encourage an equal amount of betting on each team and make their money on the "vigorish," which is typically 10 percent of a losing bet.
    But armed with the inside information, the bookmaking syndicate could set an artificial point spread that would encourage large "layoff" bets from other bookies carrying too much action on one team, that were likely now to lose.
    An FBI organized-crime squad in the bureau's flagship New York office is handling the case, but the referee traveled the country officiating various games on which he allegedly bet.
    It was not determined which games were allegedly affected by the referee's actions, or how much money may have been won by him and his cohorts.
    The FBI got wind of the scheme while conducting a separate mob investigation.
    The most prominent American sport- gambling scandal in recent history involved Cincinnati Reds manager Pete Rose, who was banned from baseball in 1989 for betting on his own team.
    Based largely on testimony of two Rose associates, Ron Peters and Paul Janszen, Major League Baseball determined that from 1985 through 1987, Rose bet on baseball, including 52 Reds games in 1987, at a minimum of $10,000 a game.
    All of Rose's bets on Cincinnati were to win.
    murray.weiss@nypost.com
    Last edited by Gyron; 07-20-2007 at 08:58 AM.

Any "wagers" on which ref it was?

Gyron, try to erase those ads...

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was about to post this.

This could be really REALLY bad for the NBA. THe one thing all sports fear most is loss of integrity.....hey wait a minute....I wonder about a certain 4 point play
    Then there was a certain Draft lotto selection with a bent card...hmmmm who did that card belong to???

HHHmmmmmmmm (see what I mean???)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sorry, thought I got them all.

This referee scandal is one that I believe - but the one I don't is the one where the league fixes games and uses the refs to do it.

Geezer, I realize you are making a joke (I think), but to equate this budding scandal with those other wacko conspiracy allegations just isn't right

Whoever the ref is, everyone who lost a game with him on the floor in the last two years is going to be ****ed about it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

It's my opinion, relax! Vince Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any "wagers" on which ref it was?
    Joey Crawford

And to all those who say the ref's had no bearing on the game, and if you had just played better you would have won, I say......ppppffffffftttt!!!!
    There have been plenty of games where the game changes dramatically because of some very perculiar calls. Geez is right, once you lose integrity
    of the game you have a BIG problem. I guess that has not stopped me from watching even though you suspect such things are going on.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Simply WOW!!!!!!!

We've had this discussion somewhat before in the background thread where it was questioned if the PAcers were still doing a good job on background checks on players.

Either the NBA's hands are tied when it comes to refs or they simply didn't remember the lessons learned during the airplane scandal. Probably didn't want to shell out the cash to find out.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Neil View Post
    Joey Crawford
    I would bet you my years salary that it will not be Joey Crawford. And it won't be Steve Javie, Dick Bevetta, Dan Crawford - or any other refs that are somewhat famous.

I'm interested to find out who it is. It won't be any of the top rated guys. But then I doubt it will be a young guy just starting out.

My best guess and it is just pure speculation, it is a very veteran referee who has been around awhile but never was considered one of the best officials or maybe a guy who has been around awhile, but had a falling out, maybe once was considered one of the better refs, but over the past few seasons, fell down in the rankings.

One thing I'm confident in saying is it won't be a guy who worked this past years playoffs.

Joey Crawford

This is just a guess, I see.........I swear that was the very first guy I thought of. I haven't been able to stand this guy for years, arrogant/self important. I felt finally validated when he got suspended last year.
    Last edited by Speed; 07-20-2007 at 09:14 AM.

Violet Palmer?

Nah, it really wouldn't surprise me if it was someone like Joey Crawford, but it's probably one of the lesser name refs.

This got me to thinking.

When all the info is gathered and they have a list of games the ref wagered on, can they go back over films to see the calls?
    Then, if a player who vehemently argued a call, got tossed and fined. Can that player now sue to get the fine back, and/or his suspension's loss of $$$ back?
    This could get wacko!!

It's my opinion, relax! Vince Neil's Avatar

I bet the NFL and Mike Vick wouldn't mind this story to be true. It sure would focus the media's attention to something else for a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by indyblue47 View Post
    This got me to thinking.

When all the info is gathered and they have a list of games the ref wagered on, can they go back over films to see the calls?
    Then, if a player who vehemently argued a call, got tossed and fined. Can that player now sue to get the fine back, and/or his suspension's loss of $$$ back?
    This could get wacko!!
    It won't come to that. You can bet Billy Hunter's been on board with Stern for awhile on this. Believe me the players are not going to mess with the golden goose when at this point it's looking alot like a turd.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

FINALLY...it all makes sense.

Violet made all those calls for a reason....I get it now

I knew someone could not be THAT bad of a ref

Quote Originally Posted by Phildog View Post
    FINALLY...it all makes sense.

Violet made all those calls for a reason....I get it now

I knew someone could not be THAT bad of a ref
    You beat me to it.

I'm not sure if I should just go out and accuse her like that, but I will say that she has a different style of referee-ing.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I would bet you my years salary
    You ever pay Jermaniac back?

Anyway, now that I've had a little time to process this, my first thought is this could end up being a very good thing. Stern will be forced to open the veiled curtain around officiating and let us see their evaluation procedures and their accountability standards and practices (if there even are any.)

But then, I thought the same kind of thing after the brawl, so maybe not.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it is Joey Crawford. Stern just used the Duncan stuff as an excuse to get rid of him. But UB's probably right, it'll be somebody like Tommy Nunez or Benny Adams.

Looking at this list, two names that stick out at me are Jack Nies and Luis Grillo. Those are real vets who didn't ref many games, 53 and 42, respectively.

http://www.coverwire.com/basketball/refdata.htm

Personally, as much as I'd love for it to be Bavetta, I'm hoping for either Tony Brothers or Ed Malloy. If I had a chance to get rid of any ref I wanted, I'd take out one of the young ones to save us from them being around for another 30 years, and those two are awful.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Joey Crawford
    My heart would love for it to be Crawford but my head's with UB - NO WAY.

The ref is someone who flies under the radar and doesn't draw a lot of attention to himself and certainly wouldn't do anything as blatantly biased as he's done from time to time. Plus, while Crawford's a prick, he's always a prick.

Dunno who but as UB said, it ain't one of our "favorites."
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I think Joey Crawford would easily be arrogant enough to think he could get away with it or was above getting caught.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I freaking told you all so. It was just too damn obvious at times.

And don't be naive enough to believe this is the only NBA ref that's been fixing games, either. Though he may end up taking the fall for many of the others.