Thread: Conrad on Baston, Diener, Rush, etc.

Default Conrad on Baston, Diener, Rush, etc.

This is in the Travis opus, but I thought I should post it separately to highlight other things.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/web_070719.html

Baston Out but Diener Reportedly In

June 19, 2007
    Though Maceo Baston will not return to the Pacers, it appears the backup point guard slot has been stabilized with the reported contract agreement with free agent Travis Diener.

The Pacers opted not to match Toronto's offer sheet (reportedly $3.8 million over two seasons) on restricted free agent Baston, who'll now officially join the Raptors. Even without Baston, the team is relatively well-stocked in the frontcourt (Jermaine O'Neal, Jeff Foster, Troy Murphy, Ike Diogu, David Harrison) and has priorities elsewhere, specifically point guard.

"I like Maceo a lot," said Donnie Walsh, "but this time of year you have to make some tough choices, and we chose to let him go."

Baston averaged 8.6 minutes, 2.9 points and 1.6 rebounds in 47 appearances last season. He rejoins the Toronto team that gave him his first NBA opportunity in 2003.

Though the Pacers haven't confirmed the deal, The Indianapolis Star reported the agreement with Diener, who averaged 3.8 points and 1.0 assists in 49 games with the Magic the past two seasons. A 6-1, 175-pound sharpshooter who paired with Dwyane Wade to lead Marquette to the NCAA Final Four in 2003, Diener should get the chance to establish himself as a legitimate NBA backup with the Pacers.

We know he can shoot: fully 72 percent of his shots (107 of 149) have come from the 3-point line, and he's hit 40.2 percent.

INTERNOTES

Former Pacers assistant Chad Forcier has landed a job in San Antonio. "It's always bittersweet when you leave a place where you have good memories," Forcier said, "but I'm really excited about the Spurs and the San Antonio situation." The only other member of Rick Carlisle's staff without a job is Chuck Person, whose name occasionally pops up in the rumor mill, most recently in Sacramento where he reportedly interviewed with new Kings Coach Reggie Theus. Two of Carlisle's assistants, Dan Burke and Leonard Perry, have been retained by the Pacers.

Though the signing of Kareem Rush has largely been greeted by shrugs locally, it will ultimately prove to be a significant move. The Pacers weren't the only team to covet Rush's ability to score in bunches but they did have something every player wants: real opportunity. Assuming he has his act together after the tempestuous close to his days in Charlotte, Rush will at least push incumbent starter Mike Dunleavy. He certainly looks to be a key piece in the rotation.

An early scouting report on Coach Jim O'Brien's practice style: focused, intense, hands-on, energetic and efficient. He likes to keep things moving and doesn't waste time. The players should respond well to that approach.

It appears the Nets' signing of veteran big man Jamal Magloire this week has brought an end to any chances of a deal with the Pacers. The draft-day rumor, you'll recall, had Jermaine O'Neal going to New Jersey for Richard Jefferson, Nenad Krstic and either Jason Collins or Marcus Williams. Now it appears the Nets are content with their frontcourt heading into the season.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Default Re: Conrad on Baston, Diener, Rush, etc.

My thoughts:

- I have an irrational hatred for Forcier, and I can't stand the fact he's going to San Antonio. He just always struck me as the most worthless assistant ever, and now he's probably gonna go get multiple rings.

- Funny how people excuse Rush as being a nothing signing and not part of our master plan, yet Conrad's already pimping him for the starting 2.

Keg, I can certainly understand why Bruno's pushing that thought around (re: Rush pushing MDjr for starting 2-Guard). He's shown aggressiveness and accuracy not to mention a daring and ability to get in the lane to atleast draw the foul. MDjr had just started being more aggressive near season's end.

So, yeah! He'll push MDjr alright. Still, the starting 2-Guard job his MDjr's to lose at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My thoughts:

- I have an irrational hatred for Forcier, and I can't stand the fact he's going to San Antonio. He just always struck me as the most worthless assistant ever, and now he's probably gonna go get multiple rings.
    - Funny how people excuse Rush as being a nothing signing and not part of our master plan, yet Conrad's already pimping him for the starting 2.

I agree 100%
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Though the signing of Kareem Rush has largely been greeted by shrugs locally, it will ultimately prove to be a significant move.
    I'm doing it again, I'm talking myself into this. "Well, Kareem can at least shoot, and Dunleavy doesn't have to play 2 anymore, and if Rush can start Quis is probably more comfortable coming off the bench..."

It's like my girlfriend keeps cheating on me, and I keep coming back for more.

IDK, i wouldn't have been mad to see baston here for 3.8 for 2 years. that wouldn't have been a tough decision for me.

How can you hate Forcier - doesn't make sense, but I guess it isn't supposed to because it is irrational

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    How can you hate Forcier - doesn't make sense, but I guess it isn't supposed to because it is irrational
    I think it probably has something to do with us having a 12-year-old JV coach when we could of had a big man coach.

I have an irrational hatred of big man coaches. Mainly because so many people in this forum act like it will turn our big men into Kareem (and no, I don't mean Kareem Rush) or something. Why do we need a big man, I would rather get a point guard coach, or maybe a small forward coach, and we all know we need a shootiung coach or a shooting guard coach.

I don't get the Forcier-hate.

JO has done fine as a big man. Foster was never going to turn into Kareem. ...and no big man coach is going to help David Harrison's mental issues. He needs a psych more than someone teaching him how to play the game.

Mark Aguirre made JO the player he is today. Just look at what happened to Curry in NY. I just find it pathetic to see runts like Forcier and Burke working on post position with our bigs. Bird has shown zero interest in player development since he came here, and if we expect Ike to become the player we need him to be, he needs somebody to work with him who's been in the trenches.

Mark Aguirre made JO the player he is today. Just look at what happened to Curry in NY. I just find it pathetic to see runts like Forcier and Burke working on post position with our bigs. Bird has shown zero interest in player development since he came here, and if we expect Ike to become the player we need him to be, he needs somebody to work with him who's been in the trenches.

I just don't understand why Harter or O'Brien, or Lester can't work with Ike, what does a "Big man coach" know that these other coaches don't.

I just don't understand why Harter or O'Brien, or Lester can't work with Ike, what does a "Big man coach" know that these other coaches don't.
    There's a difference between theoretical knowledge and practical knowledge. For instance, Bill Russell teaching JO to block a shot while keeping the ball inbounds.

How to score in the post?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

There's a difference between theoretical knowledge and practical knowledge. For instance, Bill Russell teaching JO to block a shot while keeping the ball inbounds.
    You don't think Jim O'Brien can teach him that.

OK, assuming I buy your logic, then why don't we have a point guard coach. Bring in a former NBA point guard who knows the position and can teach it to our players. Maybe we need specialty coaches for each of the 5 positions - although I guess Lester Connner did play point guard - although he was by no means a "true point guard"

I do understand that being an inside post player both offensively and defensively is a very specialized position and there are a ton of tricks that need to be learned and I don't know maybe Kareem, Bill Walton, Bill Russell and Hakeem are the only guys who can properly teach it, but I just don't think that is necessary and I think a small man can teach a big player

Here's some info. Pete Newell, who runs the famous Pete Newell big man camp and is considered the ultimate low post footwork guru, is 6'2".
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Here's some info. Pete Newell, who runs the famous Pete Newell big man camp and is considered the ultimate low post footwork guru, is 6'2".
    A big man coach doesn't have to be tall, Gar Heard was 6'6". But Newell himself shows the need for specialized instruction. The fact that there's a camp for big men that's universally recognized and respected should tell you something. Where's the point guard camp?

Playing in the post is hard, and is not something you can get better at on your own or with minimal instruction, like shooting or dribbling.