Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NBA Daily Per Diems

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Default Re: NBA Daily Per Diems

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hm - maybe it won't happen in the NBA but you think Corporate America isn't headed in that direction?
    Hey, if my health insurance premiums keep going up because people think 3 deep fried lunches is a good idea.....
    Narf!

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    the per diem is a benefit or a perk, they could easily replace that with free meals 3x a day. thats an awfully nice benefit that most American employees never get unless they go crazy on a company account.
    Umm...No, they couldn't.

Like the article says, Bob Cousy fought for this in the 50s and it's now such an ingrained part of the NBA contract/CBA that it would actually be something the player's union would require concessions for.

The teams aren't just giving out $106 per day as a "perk," it's mandated by a league-wide contract agreement that is rigorously hammered out and fought for in a ridiculously detailed way every few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Corporate america has the power because their employees can be easily replaced. The NBA doesn't.
    They also don't have a union. It's pretty tough to take a single dollar away from a union.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Because I believe that would be illegal.

I do hear what you're saying, however. Long-term, guarenteed contracts don't exactly promote dedication in the Summer. Unfortunately, very few guys have a Jerry Rice/Karl Malone-level dedication to maintaining their bodies.
    Of course if they were financially smart they would, because with proper diet and training comes longevity and improved numbers when you walk out into the FA market maybe 2-3 times in your career.

Sure a guy might earn 70m (10 years/7m) and that's enough, but by playing below his level and for 6-7 less years he just left maybe as much as another 90m (16 years/10m) on the table all because he wasn't motivated enough or didn't see the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by KStat
    Why do people keep comparing the job of a pro athlete to the job of your everyday average joe? It's ridiculous.
    I agree. And as pointed out by Belli, you probably don't want to know the per diems and perks that a lot of other jobs are getting. You think athletes are getting more than they deserve, at least we actually get enjoyment out of their work. There are probably bigger per diems and big fat stock perks going to people who literally don't do a single thing that benefits the average citizen in any way (cough health care industry cough marketing cough insurance cough), and perhaps are even impacting the average joe in a negative way in order to earn that money.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why do people keep the job of a comparing pro athlete to the job of your everyday average joe? It's ridiculous.
    It is a little ridiculous to compare jobs. The fact that they make millions of dollars and I make not even 1% of what they make and work twice as hard is one good reason.

I do think that they should work out in the off-season under the staff of the team they play for. I always thought it was weird that Tins and the other guys would go off on their own.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

BTW, I've stayed in hotels with NFL teams the night before a game 3 different times (Colts, Rams, Panthers), and 2 of those were home games (Colts, Panthers). I have talked to staff of the hotels and even one of the Rams coaches about this process, mainly because the first time was the Colts over at the Marriot (there for a wedding myself) and it surprised me.

The reason they do it (at least the Colts for certain) is so they can control the eating and sleeping patterns of players before the game, and that includes stuff like sodium and vitamin intake, not just basic "don't party" crap. You'll get certain amounts of whatever works best for your body at X hours before the game, much like runners/cyclists do in order to hit peak performance right at game time. They run things a lot more scientificially than NBA teams apparently do based on this article, at least some of the teams. The Rams apparently don't (didn't) use a hotel for home games.

Imagine if Sam Hornish just showed up at the 500 after topping his fuel tank off at the local BP. "No worries Roger, I already got the fuel with my per diem".
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 07-18-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

The reason they do it (at least the Colts for certain) is so they can control the eating and sleeping patterns of players before the game, and that includes stuff like sodium and vitamin intake, not just basic "don't party" crap. You'll get certain amounts of whatever works best for your body at X hours before the game, much like runners/cyclists do in order to hit peak performance right at game time. They run things a lot more scientificially than NBA teams apparently do based on this article, at least some of the teams. The Rams apparently don't (didn't) use a hotel for home games.

Imagine if Sam Hornish just showed up at the 500 after topping his fuel tank off at the local BP. "No worries Roger, I already got the fuel with my per diem".
    Great comparison, and great points.

I'll agree, as some have mentioned, often the off-season is a bigger issue than the regular season, and that would be impossible to negotiate into the CBA. But it couldn't hurt to do it in the regular season, maybe guys can develop healthy habits.

Also, no one has mentioned the camaraderie aspect of this. Yea, it seems a little silly at first, but I think eating meals together goes a long way toward developing a sense of team unity.

Finally, I'll say this, and then I'm done. Everytime a player has a better-than-average year, the local paper will run a little "Hey, he's really got it together piece." Inevitably, they'll talk about his off-season, how he jogged 5 miles daily and biked another fifteen, how he lifted weights and made five hundred shots a day. And, almost every single damn time, the player will say something like "I even hired a personal chef, I dropped 15 pounds and I feel great!" I just think an investment in team meals during the regular season would be a beneficial investment (counting whatever it takes to get it into the CBA), but NBA teams don't do it as part of a larger hands-off approach they take with their players. And for the money thats invested in them, I think that's a mistake.

Damn it, trade JO so I have something relevant to talk about.

streets ahead

Why do people keep the job of a comparing pro athlete to the job of your everyday average joe? It's ridiculous.
    i compared it because JayRedd said it was illegal to do that in America... which goes beyond just a professional sports league to anyone that works.
    This is the darkest timeline.