Thread: Pacers team up for strategic branding

Red face Pacers team up for strategic branding

July 16, 2007

Pacers team up for strategic branding
    Star report
    July 16, 2007

The Indiana Pacers said today that it has reached an agreement to help the NBA team with strategic branding.
    The deal is with Publicis and Optimedia.

The latter has offices in Indianapolis, New York, Dallas, San Francisco and Seattle, and is owned by the Publicis Groupe, one of the world’s top advertising and media services conglomerates. Indy*Star
    Well boys and girls apparently the Pacers front office chose to ignore our new slogan thread, and save some coin.

For those who care, Publicis (poob-la-sis) the parent company is a French media company.
    They are one of the big boys on the block in the ad world.
    The small firm I was at contracted some of our larger work to them, from what I know they rarely do anything on a small or local scale.
    I will be interested to see the direction they go.

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: Pacers team up for strategic branding

what exactly is "strategic branding"...and does this help us in any way?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

More NBA commercials of the

"God is a ...."pacer,laker,sonic,blazers,knciks fan" ilk.

Bleah
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those who care, Publicis (poob-la-sis) the parent company is a French media company.
    Well, there's your slogan right there.

The Indiana Pacers - We Surrender

...or maybe that should be Oui Surrender
    Last edited by Tom White; 07-16-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott55 View Post
    Branding alot of times deals with a certain neglected or lagging sector of your business that needs an individual image or fresh approach ,
    instead of just a blind mass media blitz overkill with no real message.

If it's Starbuck. it could be further developing a line of drinks for a younger demo, fruit flavored drinks, or a non coffee drinker alternative with iced tea's. Figuring out where the disconnect lies for that target audience, and then organizing a coordinated effort through various outlets to create and establish a "brand". You can do it through a new name or logo, or slogan etc.

In regards to the Pacers maybe it can be focused on changing or improving perception, and trying to find out how to make that very important personal connection so that your product is the one and only in the mind of the consumer.

You actually want to "brand" (as in engrain) your product into the consumer's mind. You may try to enhance an little known use or benefit or accentuate a certain advantage that your line or item has over the competition.
    Or target a certain audience that is not usually associated with your product.

Now does this help "us" as fans ? No, unless ...

You can look at it as more and more fans show up to games due to a succesful PR campaign, resulting in complete turnaround of the overall perception of the team.

A more ferverent and enthusiastic fan base compels the team to play harder. as a result more W's in the win column ?
    As a result of the team's unforseen prosparity, your outlook on life improves, you do better at work, and you get that big promotion.

Your confidence does not go unnoticed as you are able to score a date with "the" one person who is totally out of your league.
    And on and on it goes...

Why Not Us ?

It's essentially the new-age way of saying long-term marketing and public relations, and means associating your company and/or logo with a positive, identifiable image and message.

Basically, they're goal will be for :thepacers to no longer be most identified by:

and instead make people think of:

Last edited by JayRedd; 07-16-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    You can look at it as more and more fans show up to games due to a succesful PR campaign, resulting in complete turnaround of the overall perception of the team.

A more ferverent and enthusiastic fan base compels the team to play harder. as a result more W's in the win column ?
    As a result of the team's unforseen prosparity, your outlook on life improves, you do better at work, and you get that big promotion.

Your confidence does not go unnoticed as you are able to score a date with "the" one person who is totally out of your league.
    And on and on it goes...
    Or you could just call it the "Smilin' Bob" approach.

I think it's those ads they put over urinals.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I hate puppies!

Oooo, Megatron!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I hate puppies!

Oooo, Megatron!
    I think the one on the left hates you back.

I don't see a problem with it considering our last couple of ad campaigns. ONe goal and all. Our real problem however is how competitive we are and thats at the hands of LB and DW. NO amount of ads will convince us any different.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd sure like to do some branding on TPTB.

Grade A Dumbasses

I think that this is a brilliant idea. Good first step. Long overdue. Bring on the puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Bring on the puppies.
    Yeah, that's what everybody says. Then those puppies grow up, roam around Conseco untying people's shoes, gain a couple hundred pounds, and then we're stuck supporting some worthless, freeloading son of a ***** because those idiot TPTB had the bright idea we needed a second mascot.

(But I shouldn't complain. He's still better than our third mascot: )

Yeah, that's what everybody says. Then those puppies grow up, roam around Conseco untying people's shoes, gain a couple hundred pounds, and then we're stuck supporting some worthless, freeloading son of a ***** because those idiot TPTB had the bright idea we needed a second mascot.

(But I shouldn't complain. He's still better than our third mascot: )
    Don't panthers eat birds?

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    Don't panthers eat birds?
    Perhaps, but we all know Boomer's a pussy.

Perhaps, but we all know Boomer's a pussy.
    The cleverness of your play on words only fully struck me when I went to type "Wait, Boomer is a panther?"

Pretty obvious where this is headed.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    The cleverness of your play on words only fully struck me when I went to type "Wait, Boomer is a panther?"
    The son of a ***** one merits mention as well.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 07-16-2007 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks now I'm gonna have nightmares.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

bball's "lipstick on a pig" analogy comes to mind...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Thanks now I'm gonna have nightmares.

Like you haven't been for months now.

I'm still having John Edwards night terrors after they took him off Atlanta's hands AND gave up the #11 this year too, just to have the right to sign a free agent with no other options available to him.

BTW, seriously I would say that branding differs from marketing in that marketing often involves just getting some kind of name recognition out there and some concept of what the product is that you are marketing. It's why you buy Tide instead of "Joe's Lard Soap" when you go to get a detergent, simply because name recognition implies "better". Not saying it is actually true, just how we react.

Branding on the other hand can involve a very well-known product, and is even applied to cinema when a filmmaker intentionally uses branding to establish a character (good guy, white hat, has a friendly sidekick dog, etc). You might choose between 2 well-known products not because one is better (due to recognition) but because one is branded toward your current needs or even just your beliefs. The marketing worked, you knew the product, but the branding sent the wrong message to you.

Branding for the Pacers is as JayRedd implies, they are going to try to shift the associations people currently have when the name Pacers is brought up, and that's not just as simple as the thug issue. There are many ways you can be "good", the pros are being brought in to find the type of good that can be sold to the public since last years "responsibility/high character/connection to tradition" angle the Pacers went with flopped badly, and was doing so even before Club Rio I think.

I think they need to find a branding that is a little easier for the general public to swallow. That "up to us" was just too reactionary and too much of a blatent shift from the general perception at the time.

Hopefully this branding effort will be much stronger and far-reaching in scope because this team needs it more than anyone other than the Bengals right now.

BTW, the best branding effort in US culture right now IMO is the Mac vs PC thing. They don't say that PCs aren't useful, they imply a different culture surrounding Mac owners. They are relaxed, they need things easy, simple and safe. Sounds obvious, but the fact is that Mt. Dew would hate this branding, they are all about intensity, risk, challenges. There is product recognition and then there is what a product is all about (as if computers or soft drinks or cars or basketball teams really are about anything other than being the product they actually are).
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 07-17-2007 at 02:01 AM.

The funnniest thing about this picture to me is that they actually had to market Stephen King back then by pushing one of his other titles.....

Today, all you have to say is Steven King and its an instant Best Seller.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Branding for the Pacers is as JayRedd implies, they are going to try to shift the associations people currently have when the name Pacers is brought up, and that's not just as simple as the thug issue. There are many ways you can be "good", the pros are being brought in to find the type of good that can be sold to the public since last years "responsibility/high character/connection to tradition" angle the Pacers went with flopped badly, and was doing so even before Club Rio I think.
    Dunno that I agree the marketing angle was flopping before Rio. The folks here on the forum made a lot of fun of it, but I think for the general public it was in the initial stages of positive recognition when Club Rio tore it off the wall, threw it in the mud, stomped on it, picked it up, shot it full of holes, dropped it back in the mud, jumped on it some more, and left it for dead. Figuratively speaking, of course.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Dunno that I agree the marketing angle was flopping before Rio. The folks here on the forum made a lot of fun of it, but I think for the general public it was in the initial stages of positive recognition when Club Rio tore it off the wall, threw it in the mud, stomped on it, picked it up, shot it full of holes, dropped it back in the mud, jumped on it some more, and left it for dead. Figuratively speaking, of course.
    I agree with Naptown that the "It's up to us" idea was pretty whatever and wasn't going to really affect anyone because it was a little contrived and just flat-out boring.

But I think the 40th anniversary thing had a chance to help win back some people, especially in a state like Indiana where the connection of basketball and history is so positive to most of the people who grew up there. I think that campaign could have made a few people (consciously or not) reminisce about basketball in the 60s, 70s or 80s when they grew up and basketball was purer and the Pacers were winning ABA titles, or being lovable losers or going toe-to-toe with the Knicks every year.

But then Rio happens, and the whole "40 Years" thing looks more like a judge's sentence than a positive memory of the past. In fact, it might have even started to work in reverse, making all the middle-aged state residents think to themselves, "The NBA isn't even about basketball anymore...Look how far the game has fallen."

And once a casual fan gets to that level of thinking, it don't matter if you hire Steve Jobs, Geico executives, or Absolut Vodka pushers....It's still going to be really difficult to win people back.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 07-17-2007 at 11:18 AM.

A logical strategic technique is to do away with the old and bring in the new, referring to new young players.