Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Artest and Jax suspended again...

streets ahead

Default Re: Artest and Jax suspended again...

a few years ago alan henderson was trying to take a gun thru airport security (i think it was in luggage).

telfair had a firearm issue a few months ago.

lonnie baxter ... well thats another issue entirely since he's no longer in the league but he just was charged i believe for fedex'ing firearms.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Originally Posted by ESPN, and altered by Cactus Jax

Stephen Jackson and Ron Artest have been suspended seven games without pay by the NBA for recent scrapes with the law, the league announced Saturday.

Jackson, formerly of the Indiana Pacers, was suspended for pleading guilty to criminal recklessness in Indiana, while Artest was suspended for pleading no contest to spousal abuse.

Jackson pleaded guilty last month to a felony count of criminal recklessness for firing a gun outside a strip club last fall and was ordered to pay a $5,000 fine and perform 100 hours of community service.

Artest was arrested and charged in March with assaulting his wife. He pleaded no contest to the charge in May and was sentenced to 100 hours of community service and a 10-day work project.

Both players were previously suspended by the league for their involvement involved in the Indiana Pacers' brawl with Detroit Pistons fans at the Palace of Auburn Hills in 2004.

Since these players are no longer on the Indiana Pacers, NBA commisioner David Stern chose a different method of punishment. Jermaine O'Neal has been suspended for the entire season, unless he is traded, in which the players received will gain said suspension. The Pacers initially complained about the ruling, but as Stern said, "The vote was 1-0 me, it was either they accept their wrongdoing, or I destroy the entire franchise, and get out of hickland"
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Glad you have your priorities straight. again.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersin2033 View Post
    Please in the last 3 years, I can name 4 other pacers that have broken the law. NBA players break the law all the time.
    Stephan Jerkson admitted to a FELONY. This dosn't happen every day. Not sure if Ron's spousal abuse charge was a felony or not. If it wasn't, then he has a beef with being lumped with that other loser, at least in this instance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    Stephan Jerkson admitted to a FELONY. This dosn't happen every day. Not sure if Ron's spousal abuse charge was a felony or not. If it wasn't, then he has a beef with being lumped with that other loser, at least in this instance.
    Rons not the first one to beat his wife, and I doubt he will be the last. But I would bet good money that he will be the last to be suspended by stern for it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jack's right. They do ride together. This time, to the bench for 7 games.

Does anyone else find it interesting that Jack, Ron, and Dominic Rhodes are suspended a total of 18 games to start next season?

No not really. Indy is the fertile soil for devil seeds.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    Does anyone else find it interesting that Jack, Ron, and Dominic Rhodes are suspended a total of 18 games to start next season?
    Not as interesting as all the crap that's been going on with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Not as interesting as all the crap that's been going on with the Cincinnati Bengals.
    They should just move to Vegas already and get it over with.

What the hell kind of journalist writes former Pacer or ex-Pacer instead of Golden State Warriors' Stephen Jackson or Kings' Ron Artest.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I seem to remember something about Iverson and a gun from a few years ago. Maybe that is what you are thinking of? If he or any other player was convicted of a weapons related charge, they should also have been suspended.

Remember also that Jackson and Artest are not first time offenders in the league's view. I also approve of the NFL's get tough policy. The NBA needs to follow suit and work on their image.
    Iverson got 1 game for DRUG and GUN possession charges.

Iverson got 0 games when he threw his wife out and then took a gun with him the next night when he went looking for her at his cousins house. Conflicting testimony got all FOURTEEN charges dropped, which apparently was good enough for Stern. No harm no foul it appears.

Of course good guy Reuben Patterson got a whopping 5 game suspension for rape. Mussleman got 2 games for DUI. So really you can see the fair, balanced approach the NBA takes in all this. Fight with drunk criminals in a parking lot when they stop you from leaving so they can tussle, unacceptable. Get drunk and go out driving so you can smash into someone coming home from something like a PD party, only kinda unacceptable.

BTW, the photo I saw tied to the AP story - both players in PACERS uniforms. No worries that Ron's been gone for more than a year. Sheesh. It's not tied to reality anymore, it's a stigma that isn't even close to real.

Hey, how about the Pacers having an apparently no-tolerance policy, does that get mentioned. After all Jack was moved BEFORE his trial date. Ron was moved BEFORE any other legal incident.

Pacers legal issues

1) Fight with drunken Pistons fans, several of whom who had criminal records (unlike guys like Jackson and JO at the time).

- Ron traded

2) Club Rio fight with drunken strip club patrons, both of whom had criminal records worse than Jackson at that point (and obviously worse than no-record Tins and Quis).

- Jackson traded

3) 8 Seconds Saloon - pending

Wow, that is quite a list. It's almost as bad as Sheed and Damon put together all on their own. Or AI's own effort, though of course AI hit criminal convictions before he even got into the NBA.

What I don't get is how the Pacers keep letting these criminals hang out with the team till trouble shows up again (he said with full sarcasm). Mountain, I remember when you were just a molehill.

Damn, I hadn't even really looked at the precedents that the NBA has set in the past, I just sort of anticipated this sort of punishment as Jack did.

But your points are right on the mark. I can't particularly blame Stern for laying down the law on Jack, whom is unfortunately the current NBA "thug" poster boy. My main concern was why the NBA decided to pin the same exact punishment on two forever linked players on the same day. It seemed like they were sending a weird message.

And yeah, the whole press photos of them in Pacers photos is just humorous if anything. Shows how their reputations were forever tarnished that night, and the same for the Pacers organization.

Good Job Larry! Indianapolis_girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Yep:

Evidently it was OUR brawl.
    Ughh, I don't like ESPN..

Good Job Larry! Indianapolis_girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    What the hell kind of journalist writes former Pacer or ex-Pacer instead of Golden State Warriors' Stephen Jackson or Kings' Ron Artest.
    That's what I'm wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Damn, I hadn't even really looked at the precedents that the NBA has set in the past, I just sort of anticipated this sort of punishment as Jack did.
    The NBA doesn't set precedents. They just make up the rules as they go.

Apparently, the referees thought it was a good plan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Iverson got 1 game for DRUG and GUN possession charges.
    when?

pre brawl

Iverson got 0 games when he threw his wife out and then took a gun with him the next night when he went looking for her at his cousins house. Conflicting testimony got all FOURTEEN charges dropped, which apparently was good enough for Stern. No harm no foul it appears.
    when?

pre brawl

Of course good guy Reuben Patterson got a whopping 5 game suspension for (ATTEMPTED) rape.
    when?

pre brawl

I see a trend. Players now get hammered when they get in trouble with the law, and it started one night in Detroit a few years back...

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersin2033 View Post
    Rons not the first one to beat his wife, and I doubt he will be the last. But I would bet good money that he will be the last to be suspended by stern for it.
    I believe Doug Christie got suspended for a couple games when his wife beat him...

Banned

UM, were they Pacers when they committed these indescretions, as some would classify them? The Pacers have learned a hard lesson that us country folk already have learned, and that is, If you lay down with dogs, you will get up with fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
    UM, were they Pacers when they committed these indescretions, as some would classify them? The Pacers have learned a hard lesson that us country folk already have learned, and that is, If you lay down with dogs, you will get up with fleas.
    Artest wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I believe Doug Christie got suspended for a couple games when his wife beat him...
    What happened to Rick Fox?

[yt]IYF8Q39Icl4[/yt]

Given their obvious involvement in the brawl and the convenient coincedence of them both getting suspended for the same amount of games on the same day, it's pretty much inevitable methinks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Nope. Not Doug Christie. Are you thinking, perchance, of Jason Kidd?

In other news, I'm glad for you guys that this time the only impact you're really feeling is the side mention of the brawl. In my neck of the woods, some people are STILL trying to find ways to defend Artest and saying he's changed, just look at where he is now (in Africa on some charitable NBA thing), etc.

Ron Artest is the true epitome of a classic Greek tragedy. I just wish he wasn't OUR classic Greek tragedy. At least Jackson came out and apologized. Artest is appealing the decision...

And our local papers are already acting as though this was just a little misstep, you know like soaping a window on Halloween.

I've reminded them time and time again what Pacer fans went through but it's not going to do any good until the next time. And then those same people will be mystified about why it happened and angry at Artest for letting them down.

I guess it's just not going to end until Artest has either done something so bad he actually ends up being kicked out of the league or retires.

And it's such a shame because having seen him play, his talent is undeniable.

...sigh...
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

You have our sympathies, VF.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

VF, I have a question about your fellow Kings fans. Have they heard of the brawl? Do they honestly think it was an aboration and Ron would never do anything stupid again?