Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teams in the league worse off than the pacers?

Default Teams in the league worse off than the pacers?

Im new to pacers digest and I hate for my first post to be so negative, but me and a couple friends were having an arguement on the Pacers struggles. We got to thinking that the team has little upside for the future other than Granger, Ike and Shawne with maybe a few others. I havent got to watch any of the summer league games although I was a bit pleased with the teams success despite a roster that I can hardly be excited about. Also I think we were all hoping for a big summer from the front office and .....Kareem Rush, enough said. So we tried to look on the positive side of things and think which teams in the NBA the pacers are in better shape than. Memphis is pretty bad and the Knicks are in bad shape, but who else?

streets ahead

Default Re: Teams in the league worse off than the pacers?

minnesota and sacramento come to mind
    This is the darkest timeline.

You'd have to think the 76ers, despite their surge in the latter half of the season, are still worse than us. I mean, we totally sucked the last half, and we still ended up tied with a crappy record. I like what they can be, though. Still, I'm shocked Andre Miller is still there.

Just looking at the East, you have good reason to be concerned.

Most of the teams at the bottom just got a boost in the draft and we got nothing. For example, Atlanta just got a couple studs in Horford and Law who are LOCKS. Absolute LOCKS. It would have been a boost for us to get just one of them. Other teams like Orlando were already improving and have made good moves. The Knicks will surprise some people this year IMO.

All is not lost though. The Pacers have dumped some talent with the GS trade, but Jack and Al only look good on a bad team. Neither would start for the Pistons for example. Even more important is that the team should have a fresh outlook this coming year. I think they will play hard...and actually do have several talented players in JO, Tinsley, Quis, Shawne. We also have Foster who is really a valuable asset.

Yes, this iteration of the Pacers might be the least amount of talent in memory....but they are still fairly average IMO....definitely not one of the very worst in the league. Don't let the losing streak last year fool you....

The Pacers are not in that bad of shape right now. I just fear with TPTB that it will get very bad though.

But as said before Sacramento, Minnesota are defiantly in worse shape. Boston and New York as well. Philadelphia as well. I think Orlando could be. I think all the money they are giving out could really bite them in the *** in the future.

The Clippers could be on a slide. The Rockets are up in the air. They need to add some bigs and a starting quality point guard would be nice. The Grizzles will get better because they have young talent. The Nuggets may have a bad situation on their hands soon with so many high salary players.

I think that the Pacers have some young and old guys. They need to just trade Jermaine and get it over with. Once that is done they can go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just looking at the East, you have good reason to be concerned.

Most of the teams at the bottom just got a boost in the draft and we got nothing. For example, Atlanta just got a couple studs in Horford and Law who are LOCKS. Absolute LOCKS. It would have been a boost for us to get just one of them. Other teams like Orlando were already improving and have made good moves. The Knicks will surprise some people this year IMO.
    You're missing the genius at work here. We dumped our picks and stuck with the likes of Tinsley to allow these other teams to get better around us so that we can have a realistic shot at the top picks in the lotteries of the coming years! And then we'll be hanging our banners in Conseco!

While those other fool teams are out getting better thru getting better, we'll take our patient approach and get better by getting worse! :

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I don't mean to be marry sunshine and all but a core of Shawne, Ike & Danny is really a nice core to build with. Add an Andrew (Bynum of course not Bogat) and you could be looking at a front line that can compete with any frontline in the NBA in about 2-3 years.

Our guard situation is poor and as of this moment our center spot is deplorable, however both are on the hands of Walsh because of his love affair with the small forward who can play multiple spots from the early part of the century. That is why you don't have a true shooting guard btw.

However unlike Walsh I feel that Bird, as long has he is not hand tied by Walsh or the owners, will not be content with just making the playoffs.

I think he will make moves, if he is ever truely in charge, that will get us out of this shape.

But that's just me.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I was gonna joke about some WNBA teams, but, seriously, they're all in better shape than we are.

Sacramento is in worse shape. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Bibby now that they signed Moore. One would hope they wouldn't trade him for Drew Gooden now, but who knows.

Minnestota is on par with us. They've got bad apples, but their contract situation is much better. Jaric is their worst contract, which is equivalent to Tinsley's. They've got Foye and Brewer, and really that's it, but conventional wisdom is they'll get more back for KG than we will for JO (as long as McHale doesn't mess it up.)

Also, they're both in the West. Not only is the West significantly harder, but, while the bottom of the East has improved around us, the bottom of the West has improved more around them.

I would argue that every other team is better than us, if not this year, than very soon due to their potential.

Of course, that could all change! Come on Larry, 6 hours and 50 minutes left!
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Of course, that could all change! Come on Larry, 6 hours and 50 minutes left!

What is this deadline again, I missed it?

Oh wait the forum party?

ATL is worse off I think.

Man, don't you people read other threads?

For the 3rd time, I'm talking about the forum party. We need something to talk about!

Man, don't you people read other threads?

For the 3rd time, I'm talking about the forum party. We need something to talk about!

So it's the forum party, you're referencing?

Props for quick use of the edit button.

This is a question I've been thinking about also.

Sacramento is the team that immediately comes to mind. They won't win many games next year and they have almost nobody on their roster with any upside.

We'll win more games than Memphis and Seattle next year, but they both have better young talent than we do.

I also think we'll be better than Milwaukee and Philadelphia next year. Minnesota is in bad shape. I also think we'll be slightly better than Atlanta and Charlotte, though cases could be made for both of those teams.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

"Woeful Knicks owe more than 45 million in luxury tax"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2935728

Production-wise we're right around where they are, but spending so much to get so little is an embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous
    I also think we'll be better than Milwaukee
    Milwaukee was a pretty good team last year before they got hit with a ton of injuries, they could make the playoffs, especially if they get something for Yi.
    Last edited by bulldog; 07-14-2007 at 10:36 AM.

I dont understand why everyone is saying sactown...
    Sac Ind
    C-Miller C-Jeff Foster
    PF-Reef/Thomas PF-JO (who we more than likely wont have
    SF-Artest SF-Granger
    SG-Martin SG-Daniels
    PG-Bibby PG-Tinsley

So on a recap Sac
    C-Better
    PF-Not better (but who knows for how long,if we trade JO)
    SF-(Yes it is artest,but none would say granger is more talented)
    SG-Better
    PG-Better

Final Score-Sac 4,Ind 1

If you ask 9 out of 10 people which team is better id bet theyd say sactown.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I dont understand why everyone is saying sactown...
    Sac Ind
    C-Miller C-Jeff Foster
    PF-Reef/Thomas PF-JO (who we more than likely wont have
    SF-Artest SF-Granger
    SG-Martin SG-Daniels
    PG-Bibby PG-Tinsley

So on a recap Sac
    C-Better
    PF-Not better (but who knows for how long,if we trade JO)
    SF-(Yes it is artest,but none would say granger is more talented)
    SG-Better
    PG-Better

Final Score-Sac 4,Ind 1

If you ask 9 out of 10 people which team is better id bet theyd say sactown.

I like Martin. Do we mean head to head or is it record against the league because then the West teams are at such a disadvantage?

Sac fitting together wise, thanks to a scoring PG and Ron is in trouble in my opinion.

Sac plays in the West. They have no shot at the playoffs, whereas even the Fever have a shot to make it in the East.

Unfortunately, most of the teams in the West that aren't very good (Grizzlies, Blazers, Sonics) have more upside than we do, so its tough to find teams that are in too poor of a position.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    You'd have to think the 76ers, despite their surge in the latter half of the season, are still worse than us. I mean, we totally sucked the last half, and we still ended up tied with a crappy record. I like what they can be, though. Still, I'm shocked Andre Miller is still there.
    Man, oh man, how I wish we could get our hands on Korver and Andre Miller. Carney as filler would just be greedy. I haven't heard any rumors in that direction, but I'd sure love for that to be the case. I think those are O'brien types of players, even though Miller isn't that great of a shooter. He's one of the best point guards in the game, in terms of orchestrating the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by paulomac77 View Post
    Im new to pacers digest and I hate for my first post to be so negative, but me and a couple friends were having an arguement on the Pacers struggles. We got to thinking that the team has little upside for the future other than Granger, Ike and Shawne with maybe a few others. I havent got to watch any of the summer league games although I was a bit pleased with the teams success despite a roster that I can hardly be excited about. Also I think we were all hoping for a big summer from the front office and .....Kareem Rush, enough said. So we tried to look on the positive side of things and think which teams in the NBA the pacers are in better shape than. Memphis is pretty bad and the Knicks are in bad shape, but who else?
    I don't know why people think that Memphis is bad at all. Bear in mind that Gasol was hurt for a large portion when the season started, and they never really recovered from that. But this is a team that was winning 50+ games, and they upgrade with Rudy Gay at small forward. Once Conley settles in at the point, they are going to be dangerous.

NO ONE ELSE IS WORSE, FACE IT THE NBA BALL STOPS HERE!

Orlando will be better in the near term, but I think they're gonna be hurting over the next couple of years. Yeah, they've got Dwight, which is nice. But 15mil for Shard was a big mistake.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

I'm not an optimist....so I'm not going to sugarcoat things.

I think that we are in the overall worst position of any team. Teams that many of you suggest; the Hawks, Grizzlies...even the Sixers; are obviously in "rebuilding mode"....but in a position...at least IMHO...to improve in the coming couple of seasons. By next season, most of these teams will be in a better financial situation while developing their young players AND having the financial flexibility to improve their situation.

Some have sited that the TWolves are in as bad as we are.....but they don't have as many "bad long term contracts" as the Pacers do....and if they do trade KG ( like we can trade JONeal )....they can get more then the Pacers can for JONeal.

The closest team that I can think of that maybe even remotely close to us ( in terms being "worse off" ) is the Kings. They have similiar financial situation where they have some long term contract obligations and little room for overall improvement.

The difference is that the majority of the Kings "huge contracts" come off by the 2009-2010 season ( down to 32 mil in salaries by 2009-2010 ), whereas the Pacers still owes about $44mil ( minus the team option for Marquis ) in the 2009-2010 season.

In addition, the Kings FO recognizes that there is little room for improvement and appears to be heading towards a "rebuilding" effort ( with possible moves to trade Artest and Bibby ) as opposed to the unknown direction ( at least IMHO ) that TPTB are headed towards ( as in rebuilding or reloading ).

To me...because our financial situation positively sucks....there is little room for improvement unless we make a major move
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-14-2007 at 12:43 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

KC's not only right, he's killed the last vestige of sunshine left in me.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    To me...because our financial situation positively sucks....there is little room for improvement unless we make a major move
    But assuming we're open to a major move, then we're in better shape than the Kings. Because no matter how much he's downplayed, JO's a much more valuable asset than anybody on the Kings roster.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

KC's not only right, he's killed the last vestige of sunshine left in me.

Join the darkside with me.....
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.