Thread: Would we want Barnes for the MLE?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Would we want Barnes for the MLE?

Looks like he could possibly be had for that:

http://www.sacbee.com/martymac/story/268925.html

Matt Barnes has wanted to hold his own basketball camp for children in the Sacramento area but had a goal in mind beforehand.

"I really wanted to establish myself in the league before having a camp," he said of the gathering scheduled for next Monday through Friday at Rocklin High School. "It's a way of giving back to kids in the area and also meet some of the guys I'm bringing in to see them."

Barnes, 27, played a major role last season in the Warriors' upset of top-seeded Dallas in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs.

He played in 76 regular-season games with the Warriors and each of the 11 playoff games against the Mavericks and the Utah Jazz.

In three previous seasons with the Los Angeles Clippers, Kings, New York Knicks and Philadelphia 76ers, he played no more than 56 games. For the first time, Barnes can anticipate having a job and financial security.

The midlevel exception of $5.356 million seemed a realistic salary starting point in the eyes of many, including Barnes. In a departure from his usual steady, low-key approach, Barnes left agent Bill Neff, who had beaten many a bush over the past few seasons to get Barnes into veteran training camps, to sign with agent Dan Fegan, who just happened to have fellow Warriors Stephen Jackson and Jason Richardson (since traded to Charlotte).

"I was talking to a lot of people who were telling me that I needed a big-time agent to get that big money," Barnes said Wednesday evening.

"That's the main reason I decided to change agents. It wasn't anything that (Neff) did or didn't do. We'll see if that was a smart decision or not. Basically, it was just me analyzing my situation."

Wednesday was the first day teams could sign free agents, and Barnes said he has not received the offers he anticipated.

"Right now, there's nothing happening," he said. "I was thinking the midlevel exception was realistic, but my agent has been telling me teams have questioned whether the success I had was because of (Warriors coach Don) Nelson's system and whether or not I could have the same success in another system.

"It's pretty frustrating because I thought I had a good year," said Barnes, who averaged 9.8 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists and shot 43.8 percent from the field, including 36.6 percent from three-point range, in 23.9 minutes per game during the regular season. "It was not a great season, but it was good. And from what other players have received, I thought I'd be right there in that mix. But Golden State has not come around to what I thought they might, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens."

Barnes has spent the early portion of his NBA career working to improve during the offseason. Nelson showed a lot of faith and confidence in him, and that paid off for both during the playoffs, when Barnes shot 45 percent from the field (42.2 percent from three-point range) in 30 minutes per game.

Barnes will have many experiences to share with the participants at his camp, which Rocklin High coach Steve Taylor will run.

"Steve coached my team in the Optimist Game my senior year in high school," Barnes said. "I know it's the first year of the camp, so it might be a little rough. And a lot of the organization on this one was done without me because of the playoffs, but I think things are looking better and better."

Barnes said there will be two sessions daily. Seventh- through 10th-graders will work from 1 to 4 p.m., and fourth- through sixth-graders will go from 5 to 8 p.m. The cost will be $175 per participant, he said, and kids can register the day of the camp.

"I couldn't afford to go to any camp when I was young, so I wanted to make sure it was a realistic price," he said.

Default Re: Would we want Barnes for the MLE?

Nope....Too many SF as is.

I like Matt Barnes, but I'm guessing there's a reason no one else has offered him that. One good season in Nellie's system shouldn't make you 5mil. Though it might

No.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope....Too many SF as is.
    Plus, he's worse than all the ones we do have. Ok, well maybe he's better than Shawne is now, but a lot more expensive too.

I like Barnes a lot. Mainly because he's probably the best defender on that team, I liked him before the playoffs. But I don't know if he'd be a good fit for the Pacers - I don't know, I mean if the pacers did sign him, I wouldn't be upset, but we do have a ton of small forwards.

Sports Logo

Unless we somehow move one of the SFs......I don't see how we can add another one to the roster.

Although Nellie's system does enhance the stats of any player on that roster....Barnes was one of the few solid defender on that roster that also happens to be a hustle-type players.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I like Barnes a lot. Mainly because he's probably the best defender on that team, I liked him before the playoffs. But I don't know if he'd be a good fit for the Pacers - I don't know, I mean if the pacers did sign him, I wouldn't be upset, but we do have a ton of small forwards.
    Matt Barnes is the man, but he fits MUCH better in the Warriors system (and culture, to be honest). He has said he'd absolutely love to stay in Oakland and I don't see him going elsewhere if he ain't getting more than the MLE.

As for the "best defender" remark - he's probably the 4th best on the Dubs. A solid defender who plays scrappy, but he doesn't hold a candle to Baron and Jack, and Pietrus is reasonably ahead of him as well. Nothing wrong with being behind those three, but he certainly is not the best.

The main problem with Barnes is his 3-point shot has simply been a one-season thing. It'll be imperative to his success if he maintains it because it was not a part of his arsenal at all until this year. His timely 3-pointers were probably the best contribution he made to the team, along with his tough attitude.

Another SF is not what we need. At least not if they can't legitimately play the "2". I don't think that's Barnes.

No. Matt Barnes is this year's Bonzi Wells.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jcouts View Post
    No. Matt Barnes is this year's Bonzi Wells.
    Barnes has more tattoos than Wells so hands down he's better.
    /sarcasm

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Banned

Absolutely NOT!

We don't need another small forward. No way to Matt Barnes.

Pietrus is a better fit for the Pacers, we know the Pacers were interested in him a couple of years ago. He's super atheletic, he can play the 2, defend, and hit the 3 on a consistent basis. He acould have a Gerald Wallace type of effect at a whole lot cheaper price, the Pacers should target him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From what I've heard Pietrus can't shoot worth anything. However I'm not really sure about that and if anyone has a clearer opinion I'd like to hear it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    From what I've heard Pietrus can't shoot worth anything. However I'm not really sure about that and if anyone has a clearer opinion I'd like to hear it.
    That was my impression of him as well. He shot well for a bit during the playoffs, but I think it was an anomaly.

Pietrus can do three things relatively well, anything else and you're going to be disappointed:

- Hit the wide-open baseline 3 (usually a kick out from Baron, Monta, or Jack)
    - Solid perimeter, man-to-man defense
    - Dunk, the dude can fly

Unfortunately, his basketball IQ is incredibly low, he cannot manufacture any offense for himself, and his team defense lacks quite a bit. But if you're looking for a decent SF who can do a couple things, he can be it.

Smooth_for_VICE Pres. Smooth_for_Pres.'s Avatar

If the price is dropping, he'd definately be worth it.
    Ajbry is right to question the consistency of his suddenly present 3pt shot, but if it sticks around:
    His three stroke
    His (at worst) above average defense
    His ability to drive the ball
    IMO, he'd make a pretty effective 2 guard. Especially in JOB's system where he would be able shoot a three or post up small.
    He just turned 27 so getting him now for possibly less than the MLE is a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Pietrus can do three things relatively well, anything else and you're going to be disappointed:

- Hit the wide-open baseline 3 (usually a kick out from Baron, Monta, or Jack)
    - Solid perimeter, man-to-man defense
    - Dunk, the dude can fly

Unfortunately, his basketball IQ is incredibly low, he cannot manufacture any offense for himself, and his team defense lacks quite a bit. But if you're looking for a decent SF who can do a couple things, he can be it.
    But the dude makes awesome kabobs (hoping somebody gets the joke).

Why we couldn't get him in the GS trade is beyond me.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Of all the "under-the-radar" FAs I think Matt Barnes is the one with the most BASKETBALL in him. I really like him, and I think he's better than almost all those MLE SFs this year (Kapono, MoPete).

Of course the Pacers need a SG, which he can play, but it's not his position, and getting him as a backup to Danny isn't worth it.

But once again - I think he's a sleeper - a gem in the rough - and I said it before the playoffs. It's beyond me why no team has picked him up for the MLE yet, especially those in need of a SF.

Smooth_for_VICE Pres. Smooth_for_Pres.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NPFII View Post
    Of all the "under-the-radar" FAs I think Matt Barnes is the one with the most BASKETBALL in him. I really like him, and I think he's better than almost all those MLE SFs this year (Kapono, MoPete).

Of course the Pacers need a SG, which he can play, but it's not his position, and getting him as a backup to Danny isn't worth it.

But once again - I think he's a sleeper - a gem in the rough - and I said it before the playoffs. It's beyond me why no team has picked him up for the MLE yet, especially those in need of a SF.
    QFT.

He's obviously got a shooters touch. Put him into the JOB system and he could grow and really do some damage. Think about it... Kareem Rush and Matt Barnes coming off the bench to play an interchangeable 2/3 combo. Pretty intriguing...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    That's how I feel. Great addition if only that's what we were in the market for.

Get back to me when Ellis is looking for an MLE to join the Pacers, then I'll start the parade. Barnes is better than a flash in the pan, but that doesn't mean he's more than a role player type who uses hustle to get a lot of things done. I do like his defense. I guess if you used Shawne and Danny to get a nice SG then signing Matt would become very interesting.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Barnes is the Jeffries of 2007.

Whoever gives him the MLE will regret it dearly.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Barnes is the Jeffries of 2007.

Whoever gives him the MLE will regret it dearly.
    Not really. But he needs to pick his situation very delicately. It's quite obvious his best move would be to stay in Oakland, where he fits in PERFECTLY with the city, the style of play, and the leaders of the team.