Thread: Speedway drops Formula One race

Default Speedway drops Formula One race

July 12, 2007

Speedway drops Formula One race
    By Steve Ballard
    steve.ballard@indystar.com
    July 12, 2007

A stormy eight-year relationship between Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Formula One ended today with the announcement the international racing series would not return in 2008.
    IMS chairman Tony George and F-1 boss Bernie Ecclestone could not reach an agreement on a sanctioning fee to continue the U.S. Grand Prix. George had set today as a deadline for a new contract.

Track spokesman Ron Green said both sides are leaving the door open for possible future events

The relationship deteriorated dramatically after the 2005 race when only six cars competed because of safety concerns over Michelin tires.

The decision leaves the U.S. without an F-1 event and follows failed attempts at other venues, including Long Beach, Calif., Watkins Glen, N.Y., and Phoenix. Ecclestone has explored putting a race in Las Vegas but no agreement has been announced.

The Speedway's 2.6-mile road course won't go unused next year. MotoGP, the motorcycle equivalent of Formula One, is scheduled to visit in September 2008. Indy*Star.com
    Maybe not a big deal local interest wise. A big hit however financially for the city. Well, don't let the door hit you on your way out Bernie !

As a purist I'm mixed on having motorcycles on the Speedway, but revenue wise you do what you have to do.
    Last edited by Frank Slade; 07-12-2007 at 11:07 AM.

Why Not Us ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Speedway drops Formula One race

I enjoy watching F1 races. The cars are truly amazing and I'll miss that. What I won't miss are the F1 officials coming in to town and and acting like they are doing Indy a favor by bringing their series to the unwashed masses. Of course, that kind of crap drives me nuts no matter where it's coming from.

I never understood why Tony had to pay F1 so much for the right to run a race here. After tiregate, I don't think many people will miss them. Motorcycles could be interesting, especially when they hit the banking in turn 1 aka turn 13.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I hope what Tony had to say to Eccelstone made up for every dollar he had to pay him to get abused. Bad for the city. Great for those who could stand that pompous ***.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Too bad for the hotel/restaurant folks but it was a substandard product.

One year you had a driver throwing the race at the end and another you had a whole 6 cars run.

Not sure why Tony George thinks he has to kiss Ecclestone's *** so much.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

woman without a team

The thing that got me was at this press conference Tony said that Bernie wasn't a bad guy. Makes you wonder what kind of horses behind the head of CART is because as far as I know Tony won't even talk to him (and vice versa).

I only wish Tony had stated early on that HE had given Bernie a 'take it or leave it' offer that was fair to both IMS and F1. Then let Bernie take the flak from teams, fans, and sponsors if they want the US to remain on the schedule.

Bernie's public comments wore thin every year and I always thought Tony gave Bernie too much negotiating power (at least publicly). It's not like the on track product is very exciting. Then there was the "After you..." fiasco which started the decline in interest (at least for me). Maybe I was losing interest anyway, but that put a 'face' onto WHY I was losing interest and gave me my excuse to ask myself "Is this really even worth it?". Then, with interest dangling by a thread, the tiregate controversy pretty much killed it for most everyone.

F1 has lost a lot of intrigue over the years. And I miss the 'old' F1 starts without launch control, traction control, or whatever they want to call it these days.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think George made a sound business decision by telling Bernie not to let the door hit him on the way out, but Krapitz's provincial sounding article regarding the whole thing really irked me.

I don't really care how arrogant or pompous they are, they bring revenue to the city.

They could have the annual millionare's conference at the Convention Center every year, and I don't care how much snobbery would be involved or how many noses were stuck in the air, if they bring in the money and they're not causing high amounts of crime or public disturbance or whatever that would cause on a drain on our public services and negate the revenue that was coming in, then let them come.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

This can't be helping Bernie with the owners. They already are looking to defect and start their own series, and down the line nearly all of them expressed a strong interest in being in the US market.

Bernie isn't thinking long term, he's thinking about the quick buck just like NFL owners that bail on cities to chase the new stadium package. I mean F1 is also not in France next year. France. Think about that.

I know the US interest is much lower, but the international fans loved coming to the track because of the easy access (at least all the fans I talked to over the years) so you still had attendence.

I also think Tony was smart in how he dealt with Bernie. He let him have the hollow victories of being the public boss, but in the end Tony only did what Tony was willing to do from day 1 I think. I don't think Bernie ever screwed Tony over, I just think Tony really wanted to make F1 in America work and was willing to ride the rough patches to do it. Obviously $30m is way more than a rough patch.

But Tony gets to maintain a good image and a working relationship with the series. If soccer can linger in the US market then you know that F1 isn't done here by a long shot. That working relationship could pay off very nicely in a few years when this series or a newly created one come looking to return to the US.

Sports Logo

BBall traction control is gone next year.

I know I am in the minority but I love F1 and this year has been fantastic. With 4 drivers seriously in the hunt for the title, the battle between team mates and between McLaren and Ferrari.

Watching Hamilton and Massa look good early only to see Alonso and Kimi come back strong after they came to grips with the bridgestones.

In the last race Massa stalled on the grid and had to start from the back. His charge through the field is the best I have seen since Michael did it at Brazil and Kimi did it at Suzuka.

I know people like to say there is no passing in F1 but thats just not true. Sure there is not as much as the contrived passing in NASCAR where the cars are engineered so that they will pass each other over and over again. An F1 car is horribly hard to pass each pass in F1 is worth 50,000 NASCAR passes. So to me when they do pass after reeling the driver in for 5 or six laps its all the more exciting.

If you watched the Brazil race last year and saw Michael Schumacher pass
    Giancarlo Fisichella you saw a pass that was worth 2 million NASCAR passes.

In a way I am sad to see them leave Indy but it could not happen to a more deserving fool. As much as I love F1 I hate Tony George and could never allow myself to buy a ticket to the F1 race there. I hope a new race location is found so I can actually attend a F1 race in the US.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This can't be helping Bernie with the owners. They already are looking to defect and start their own series, and down the line nearly all of them expressed a strong interest in being in the US market.

Bernie isn't thinking long term, he's thinking about the quick buck
    Actually the GPMA is dead. They have all signed the new concord agreement.

Bernie is thinking long term. He know the race brings a ton of money into the city and he wants a cut. He knows more people in Italy watch the USGP than in the entire US. Yes the manufacturers want to be in the US but even they know Americans just don't watch F1.

They will be back in France, the track in France was in a terrible location and was put there as a political move by a former president. It will move closer to Paris.