Thread: Anyone else think this is Kobe's last year in LA?

Default Anyone else think this is Kobe's last year in LA?

I have no individual link to point to, but just things I'm reading and seeing seem to really indicate that. Phil Jackson has come out saying "it's always been Shaq's team", Kobe's been expressing interest in leading his own team for a while, and I think a real bait would be if Jerry West hired Byron Scott as the new Grizzlies coach to help recruit him. That might be too tempting to pass up.

That's make Memphis very dangerous, too.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Anyone else think this is Kobe's last year in LA?

Kobe isn't leaving...It's just a ploy to become a free agent and squeeze the Lakers for more cash.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I think Kobe leaves. I say he and T-Mac together would be unstoppable. That's where I think he'd best fit in at.

I have heard that New York Knicks would be a big player in getting Kobe too.

Kobe isn't leaving...It's just a ploy to become a free agent and squeeze the Lakers for more cash.

As for the Rockets...they are getting smoked right now, also the Spurs are down in Milwaukee.
    They're going to offer him the max either way, so he doesn't really have to do anything to get more cash. And if they don't, someone else will.
    Who is all under the cap to offer Kobe a kings ransom, or max contract? I know Utah is, but I don't see that happening anytime in my or my childs lifetime.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

If Kobe leaves, that will be the end of the Lakers. Even with the trio of fossils still there.

Charlette. And I'm pretty sure Denver could as well (wouldn't that be ironic?). And if Pheonix could clear one more contract, they could be a player too. I think the Clippers could also, and Kobe has made some noise about wanting to stay in LA with the Clippers..
    Kobe in Denver....
    I think that Phx could be a posibility, but I don't think he is going to go where there is no talent around him. The only thing I see as a negitive for the Clippers is the fact that I have yet to see Donald Sterling become serious about his Clippers being for real. I will give him credit for re-signing Elton Brand, but then again, if he didn't...David Stern would have no reason not to contract the Clippers.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Aren't Kobe and Jerry West right? Memphis has come up before.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

The Knicks would love to have him and Kobe loves NY but there's no chance. I suppose Mitch Kupchak could suffer a cerebral hemorrhage and before it's diagnosed accept a S&T for Allan Houston but I'm not banking on it.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Do you know who else will have the cash under the cap to offer Kobe the max next season? San-freakin-Antonio. Mercer, Turkolu, and Ginobili all are in the last years of their contracts.

Now, I don't think Kobe would actually go from the largest to the smallest market under any circumstances -- not to mention the fact that the main reason he wants out is to run his own team -- but can you imagine Duncan and Kobe together? Yowza.

By the way, now that I've moved from sunny Indiana to San Antonio, I've noticed a sad, sad spectacle. Have you ever noticed that Duncan, for being a major superstar, is in so few national commercials? Well, he's down here doing LOCAL advertisements. One is for a grocery store where he dresses up in a stupid chef's hat and pretends to do the world's worst cooking show. Ouch. You almost want to say to the guy," You've got your millions. There's no need to HUMILIATE yourself..." Thems are the joys of playing in the smallest NBA market.

P.S. I happened to go to the second Lakers/Spurs game at SBC. Coach Pop had made a point of saying on the radio that he thought Kobe was innocent until proven guilty, and he begged the fans not to boo him. Before the game, Kobe walked over to Pop and talked to him for a LONNNNNNG time.

NAH, never happen...

Good point! But wouldn't you rather have Kobe than Ginobili?

Good point! But wouldn't you rather have Kobe than Ginobili?
    Definitely. But I'm a big Ginobli fan too. But he'll never be Kobe. So you haven't heard anything about that down there?

Edit: I meant my previous point as a question since you live down there. Re-reading it, it looks more like a sarcastic comment maybe. Just wanted to make sure you knew that.
    No problem! I understood what you meant. Every sports radio guy got red in the face freaking out over Kobe in SA for a few days, then everyone got realistic. Besides, why would they want to hack off a rising (semi-) star like Ginobili just to entertain the pipe dream of Kobe. Every big name that's ever come to SA has come through the draft or a trade. They just don't have the free agency draw. Very similar to the Pacers. Why would a young black millionaire with a choice go to Indianapolis or San Antonio?...

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Knicks would love to have him and Kobe loves NY but there's no chance. I suppose Mitch Kupchak could suffer a cerebral hemorrhage and before it's diagnosed accept a S&T for Allan Houston but I'm not banking on it.
    Like you said, there's no way of Kobe to NY unless the Lakers GM caves in which he shouldn't. They'll do like what the Maloofs did with Webber when he was seriously considering coming to Indy; they just gave Indy the :finger: unless they played Jalen or JO in a S&T, with Jalen being a main reason Webber wanted to go to Indy, and Indy didn't want to part with JO, obviously.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Isn't the presumed reason for his leaving LA so that he can be THE MAN??? Kobe and Duncan in SA...who is THE MAN?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo

Well, he's down here doing LOCAL advertisements. One is for a grocery store where he dresses up in a stupid chef's hat and pretends to do the world's worst cooking show.
    I love that add it is hilarious. yes it is small time but it is d@mn funny.

Aren't Kobe and Jerry West right? Memphis has come up before.
    Kinda catching up here. It would take some creativity to make it work but if the Lakers were going to lose Kobe for nothing a package centering around Gasol might be enough for them to bite.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire