Thread: Non-Pacer related: "twan Walker robbed AGAIN

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Non-Pacer related: "twan Walker robbed AGAIN

Robbery at Chicago home of Heat forward Walker
    By The Associated Press
    July 10, 2007

CHICAGO (AP) -- Miami Heat forward Antoine Walker's home in Chicago was robbed Monday, the player's agent said.

Police and witnesses said two offenders held Walker and at least one other person at gunpoint during the robbery, Chicago broadcasters reported from the scene in the city's River North neighborhood Monday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Walker's agent, Mark Bartelstein, confirmed the incident took place but said he could not give specific details.

"He's OK," Bartelstein told The Associated Press. "There was a robbery. It's a scary thing. It's a terrible thing. He's trying to get himself back together. Police are there and he's getting it taken care of."

Chicago Police spokesman Hector Alfaro said officers responded to a robbery at a home in the neighborhood about 7:30 p.m. EDT, but could not confirm that the home belonged to Walker. A vehicle, cash and jewelry were reported stolen and there were no injuries, Alfaro said.

Bartelstein said Walker was with a relative at the time of the incident.

Walker was not available for comment. The Heat were aware of the incident, a team official said, but had no other comment while they attempted to gather facts.

In July 2000, Walker -- then a Boston Celtic -- was the victim of an armed robbery along with NBA center Nazr Mohammed as they sat in a vehicle waiting for a restaurant on Chicago's South Side to open. Police said at the time that three men approached and demanded cash and valuables, which included a $55,000 wristwatch.

Walker, a three-time All-Star, averaged 8.5 points with Miami this past season and was a key part of the Heat's run to the 2006 NBA championship.

The Chicago native was part of the 1996 NCAA championship team at Kentucky and an all-state player at Mount Carmel High School.

AP Sports Writer Tim Reynolds in Miami contributed to this report.

(Lifted from RealGM)
    ============================

Well ya gotta admit, the dude LOOKS like a victim.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: Non-Pacer related: "twan Walker robbed AGAIN

I realize that I'll never make even 1/10th of the money 'Toine has made, but I still think that if you're stupid enough to wear a $55,000 wrist watch, you deserve to get it stolen.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I realize that I'll never make even 1/10th of the money 'Toine has made, but I still think that if you're stupid enough to wear a $55,000 wrist watch, you deserve to get it stolen.
    What? Are you serious?

Nobody DESERVES to get robbed, or have a gun pointed at them. Trust me, I know first hand how bullets feel.

That's like saying if I can afford to buy a Lamborghini or Ferrari then I deserved to get car jacked. Or if I can buy a million dollar home, I deserve to get broken into while I'm out of town and have everything taken.

I'm sorry, maybe it's because I got shot last year and this involves gunplay, but I never say things to people like this online, but just shut the **** up. You have no idea what you're talking about.

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    What? Are you serious?

Nobody DESERVES to get robbed, or have a gun pointed at them. Trust me, I know first hand how bullets feel.

That's like saying if I can afford to buy a Lamborghini or Ferrari then I deserved to get car jacked. Or if I can buy a million dollar home, I deserve to get broken into while I'm out of town and have everything taken.

I'm sorry, maybe it's because I got shot last year and this involves gunplay, but I never say things to people like this online, but just shut the **** up. You have no idea what you're talking about.

-- Steve --

For real!!!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

She had it coming. What was she thinking dressing all sexy when she knew that a rapist might be out there someplace watching her.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm trying to figure out why it is this same guy is robbed TWICE.

How many pro ball players ever get robbed the first time, let alone a second???
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

It's a good thing that he didn't get shot.

Of course, when Antoine Walker is around, nobody else EVER gets to shoot.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It was probably a Heat fan trying to get back some of the ill-gotten money Walker has "earned" the last couple years.

It's usually from hanging around the wrong crowd. Either someone within your friend circle is backstabbing, or setting you up for someone else to backstab you, or you yourself are too friendly and allowing folks you hardly know into your crib or inner circle.

That's at least when it comes to your house being robbed. Yeah, it could've just been your house was picked at random from nice houses, but mostly likely it was someone who had been there before, or was informed by someone who had been there before.

You just can't have randoms over or throw parties at your place which involve a decent group of people you hardly know, it's sad, but it's true... you gotta watch who you trust b/c even family members can turn there back on you when they get cut off.

As for the 1st time, it sounds like a car jacking, which could happen to anyone. Especially if you're parked and sitting for a nice period of time in what is likely a nice car. He was sitting waiting for a restaurant to open... not sure what type of area they were in, but the car thing seems more likely then the house thing.

Being a high profile athlete is never gonna help the cause either

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    What? Are you serious?

-- Steve --
    Of course I'm not serious. I know that nobody deserves to get robbed. I've certainly never been involved in any sort of negative situation involving a gun, so I'm certainly not speaking from experience in any way. In short, I'm wrong, and I'm sorry that my hyperbole has pushed so many buttons.

I guess my point really was that you cannot deny that conspicuous consumption increases your chances of being a victim of violence and/or robbery. The great thing about America is that we all have the right to wear a $55,000 watch. The other side is that when you choose to wear a piece of jewelry that's worth at least twice as much as many people make in an entire year, you're making yourself a target.

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Of course I'm not serious. I know that nobody deserves to get robbed. I've certainly never been involved in any sort of negative situation involving a gun, so I'm certainly not speaking from experience in any way. In short, I'm wrong, and I'm sorry that my hyperbole has pushed so many buttons.

I guess my point really was that you cannot deny that conspicuous consumption increases your chances of being a victim of violence and/or robbery. The great thing about America is that we all have the right to wear a $55,000 watch. The other side is that when you choose to wear a piece of jewelry that's worth at least twice as much as many people make in an entire year, you're making yourself a target.
    I think in regards to that incident it had more to do with the car they were in rather than the watch that 'Toine was wearing.

I have a feeling the criminals noticed that two guys were probably sitting in a Beamer or some other luxury car in Chicago's South Side (which from what I've heard is a rough area) and decided that that was their best bet to make some cash.

Basically it comes down to the same point but, yeah, just pointing that out.

He was too slow to catch the thief....(they forgot to mention that in the statement I think)

More details.

Reportedly, he was tied up with duct tape and his house is in a really nice community.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2932161

Concern runs deep for Walker following robbery

ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 11, 2007, 12:21 PM ET

As Miami coach Pat Riley expressed relief over the news that Heat forward Antoine Walker was not injured during a robbery at the player's Chicago home, Walker's mother said her son is coping as best he can.

"Antoine called me after the incident was going on. He was hysterical on the phone when I first talked to him," Walker's mother, Diane, said in an interview with the Chicago Tribune Tuesday.

Riley said he has not spoken with Walker, and the player has not been interviewed. Walker and one of his relatives were held at gunpoint while multiple robbers took a car, cash and jewelry from the three-time All-Star's offseason residence Monday night.

"[It's] devastating for a parent to go through ... to know your child had been treated that way," Diane Walker told The Tribune. "We are just grateful he was not injured, that he is still here. God blesses us every day, every minute of the day."

Authorities have not provided specific details about the robbery. The Tribune, citing an unidentified source, said the assailants entered Walker's $4.1 million home in Chicago's River North neighborhood through the garage, ordered Walker into the house, and held a handgun to his head as his ankles and wrists were bound with duct tape. The intruders reportedly were wearing masks and shielding their eyes.

"He acted as if he knew Antoine and was talking to him about knowing the consequences of the robbery," the source told the newspaper. Walker was able to free himself from the tape after the robbery.

The source also told The Tribune that Walker, a Chicago native, has been packing his belongings.

"He's gone, baby," the source said.

Riley said he's spoken to Walker's agent, Mark Bartelstein, who told the coach that Walker is OK.

"It's what it is. It had to be a terrifying ordeal for him," Riley said Tuesday night. "Until I speak with him, I don't have any knowledge other than what I've heard from other people."

The vehicle taken in the robbery was found, abandoned, in Chicago on Tuesday morning. Police have not announced any arrests in the case.

According to The Tribune, Walker's neighborhood includes multimillion-dollar residences owned by the likes of actor Vince Vaughn and Juanita Jordan, the ex-wife of Michael Jordan. High-tech security equipment, as well as regular Chicago police patrols, protect the area, the newspaper said.

Three policemen, who arrived at the home to investigate in the early afternoon, declined to comment for The Tribune, as did several of Walker's associates.

In July 2000, Walker -- then a member of the Boston Celtics -- was the victim of an armed robbery along with NBA center Nazr Mohammed as they sat in a vehicle waiting for a restaurant on Chicago's South Side to open. Police said at the time that three men approached and demanded cash and valuables, which included a $55,000 wristwatch.

Walker averaged 8.5 points with Miami this past season and was a key part of the Heat's run to the NBA championship the year before.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

River North is pretty ritzy. Its the old-money part of Chicago just north of the loop.

This hasn't really been "news" up here, what with Urlacher sending a bunch of obscene/ demeaning text messages "he doesn't remember" to the mother of his child and a Channel 5 news reporter getting fired for going swimming with the estranged husband of a woman that's been missing for a couple months while trying to get the story.

Funny town...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Damn, getting duct taped at gun point is hardcore. I feel bad about making jokes about his watch earlier.

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    More details.

Reportedly, he was tied up with duct tape and his house is in a really nice community.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2932161

Concern runs deep for Walker following robbery

ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 11, 2007, 12:21 PM ET

As Miami coach Pat Riley expressed relief over the news that Heat forward Antoine Walker was not injured during a robbery at the player's Chicago home, Walker's mother said her son is coping as best he can.

"Antoine called me after the incident was going on. He was hysterical on the phone when I first talked to him," Walker's mother, Diane, said in an interview with the Chicago Tribune Tuesday.

Riley said he has not spoken with Walker, and the player has not been interviewed. Walker and one of his relatives were held at gunpoint while multiple robbers took a car, cash and jewelry from the three-time All-Star's offseason residence Monday night.

"[It's] devastating for a parent to go through ... to know your child had been treated that way," Diane Walker told The Tribune. "We are just grateful he was not injured, that he is still here. God blesses us every day, every minute of the day."

Authorities have not provided specific details about the robbery. The Tribune, citing an unidentified source, said the assailants entered Walker's $4.1 million home in Chicago's River North neighborhood through the garage, ordered Walker into the house, and held a handgun to his head as his ankles and wrists were bound with duct tape. The intruders reportedly were wearing masks and shielding their eyes.

"He acted as if he knew Antoine and was talking to him about knowing the consequences of the robbery," the source told the newspaper. Walker was able to free himself from the tape after the robbery.

The source also told The Tribune that Walker, a Chicago native, has been packing his belongings.

"He's gone, baby," the source said.

Riley said he's spoken to Walker's agent, Mark Bartelstein, who told the coach that Walker is OK.

"It's what it is. It had to be a terrifying ordeal for him," Riley said Tuesday night. "Until I speak with him, I don't have any knowledge other than what I've heard from other people."

The vehicle taken in the robbery was found, abandoned, in Chicago on Tuesday morning. Police have not announced any arrests in the case.

According to The Tribune, Walker's neighborhood includes multimillion-dollar residences owned by the likes of actor Vince Vaughn and Juanita Jordan, the ex-wife of Michael Jordan. High-tech security equipment, as well as regular Chicago police patrols, protect the area, the newspaper said.

Three policemen, who arrived at the home to investigate in the early afternoon, declined to comment for The Tribune, as did several of Walker's associates.

In July 2000, Walker -- then a member of the Boston Celtics -- was the victim of an armed robbery along with NBA center Nazr Mohammed as they sat in a vehicle waiting for a restaurant on Chicago's South Side to open. Police said at the time that three men approached and demanded cash and valuables, which included a $55,000 wristwatch.

Walker averaged 8.5 points with Miami this past season and was a key part of the Heat's run to the NBA championship the year before.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    Ding Ding Ding!
    I knew this was probably the case. Someone betrayed him. It was most likely someone he knew, or someone that new him, and I'm not talking about a fan type of know. I mean it's someone that has hungout with him, or is associated with someone that has hungout with him.

I seriously doubt it was just a random robbery in that area... who knows 4 sure, but that's my guess.

Either way, it's unfortunate

Good Job Larry! Indianapolis_girly's Avatar

Wow, two times.
    That's unfortunate. =/

Some people want it to happen, some
    wish it would happen, & others make it happen.
    ..Michael Jordan.

Pressure is something you feel when
    you don't know what the hell you're
    doing.
    ..Peyton Manning.

Antoine Walker Moving Out Of Home After Robbery
    July 12, 2007 - 10:48 pm
    Chicago Tribune -
    Antoine Walker has left his $4.1 million home in Chicago and is in the process of moving out, his agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Thursday.

The move comes after Walker was duct-taped and robbed at home late Monday afternoon by two masked gunmen, who drove off in Walker's black Mercedes with his cash and jewelry.

Walker has said three men approached him in his garage and at least two of them had guns. The men, who were wearing masks, forced Walker into his house and duct-taped his feet and hands.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...after_robbery/

Shoot, I run and hide too if I had been robbed twice.
    Last edited by indyman37; 07-13-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

HIs home wasn't robbed twice.

Once, he was mugged while sitting in his car on the South Side.

The second time happened at his home.

People wonder why I left Chicago. I listen to gun shots outside my window here but I honestly feel much safer in Venice than I did in Wicker Park. Plus, people are much nicer here.

Then of course there's the weather and the beach.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Then of course there's the weather and the beach.
    Chicago's got weather and a beach. In fact, I'd say Chicago has tons of weather and LA barely has any.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Chicago was founded by people from New York who said "The crime and the traffic are nice, but we'd like it colder."

--John Ortberg
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

woman without a team

Then of course there's the weather and the beach and the earth quakes.
    Fixed.

Why would someone who lives on the north end of Tornado Alley, in the center of blizzard and flood country and only a few hundred miles from the New Madrid fault mention that?

Somebody might be listening.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

woman without a team

Why would someone who lives on the north end of Tornado Alley, in the center of blizzard and flood country and only a few hundred miles from the New Madrid fault mention that?

Somebody might be listening.
    It's not the snow that bothers me it's the ice storms. Right now I find the drought quite annoying.

For me it's the people.

JUST KIDDING!