Thread: Nets Sign Jamaal Magloire

Banned

Default Nets Sign Jamaal Magloire

A huge steal - 1 year, $4M

LINK

NETS SIGN MAGLOIRE; MOORE LOST TO KINGS

By FRED KERBER

July 14, 2007 -- The Nets said goodbye to two big men while preparing to welcome another.
    Free agent forward/center Jamaal Magloire last night agreed to a one-year deal with the Nets shortly after Mikki Moore, who responded with a career year when he stepped in for the injured Nenad Krstic, decided to sign with the Sacramento Kings.
    Moore's move came just hours after the Nets, as expected, waived 40-year-old forward Cliff Robinson, whose time dwindled sharply last season. Robinson, a Net for 2 seasons, received a $500,000 buyout.
    The loss of Moore, who chose a three-year, $18 million offer from the Kings, left the Nets looking for another big man. They wasted little time in landing Magloire, a 9.0 ppg career scorer. It is believed Magloire will get $4 million for the one-year pact.
    "Mikki is going to sign with Sacramento, it's a great situation. And Mikki is very grateful to the Nets for the opportunity they gave him and he responded with a great year," agent Mark Bartelstein said last night. "The Nets were somewhat limited because of luxury tax considerations. Mikki is going on 32 and this was a great financial package."
    The Nets had offered Moore a three-year deal worth $11 million, but placed a deadline on the proposal. When the deadline passed as Moore scouted the market, the Nets withdrew the offer.

Default Re: Nets Sign Jamaal Magloire

I don't know. NJ is pretty desperate for a Big, and Magloire only gets a one-year deal from them? His stock around the league has never been nearly as high as it is on this board.

I don't see this affecting them going after JO since they lost Moore. You can argue that Magloire wouldn't be a good fit with JO, but he's better than Mikey would have been.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mikki Moore just got a Croshere type contract, just no the length. He should pay half of it to JKidd, imo. He'll get eaten for lunch in the West.

If I had the choice, I would rather have Moore than Magloire

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I had the choice, I would rather have Moore than Magloire

Both limited situational back ups, imho, I'd rather have Foster than either.

Banned

Jamaal Magloire went from massively overrated to massively underrated in less than 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2J View Post
    Jamaal Magloire went from massively overrated to massively underrated in less than 2 seasons.
    He also went from averaging a double-double for a playoff team to barely playing for a nobody.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    He also went from averaging a double-double for a playoff team to barely playing for a nobody.
    Exactly. Why couldn't he average a double-double once again if given the minutes? He still has some skill and he's just 29. It's just a 1 year deal for not even the full MLE. Compare that to Mikki Moore's contract, 3 years, $18M for a guy who's about to turn 32 and who's career year is 10/5.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Magloire is vastly underrated right now. Yes, he was overrated, but this is still a guy who can be a solid center in this league. He even made an all-star team before...I know it was in the East when they only had like 2 good centers, but it's still an all-star team. Magloire was smart and took the one year deal...his value will go up by playing with Jason Kidd and a return to the East....and he'll get a bigger payday next offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Magloire is vastly underrated right now. Yes, he was overrated, but this is still a guy who can be a solid center in this league. He even made an all-star team before...I know it was in the East when they only had like 2 good centers, but it's still an all-star team. Magloire was smart and took the one year deal...his value will go up by playing with Jason Kidd and a return to the East....and he'll get a bigger payday next offseason.
    Very well put. But I do find it funny that Jason Kopono makes significantly more money. He must have wanted to play with NJ....or like you said have a good chance to look good next to JKidd.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I don't know. NJ is pretty desperate for a Big, and Magloire only gets a one-year deal from them? His stock around the league has never been nearly as high as it is on this board.

I don't see this affecting them going after JO since they lost Moore. You can argue that Magloire wouldn't be a good fit with JO, but he's better than Mikey would have been.
    Yeah there is a reason Mags continues to be traded almost every year.
    I got off the Mags train about a year and a half ago, the fans of his former teams usually don't hold him in too high regard.

Why Not Us ?