Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Patrick to leave ESPN

Default Dan Patrick to leave ESPN

Dan Patrick just announced that he will be leaving ESPN as of Aug. 17th. He said something about "going out on his own" and being a free agent. Makes me think he will be doing a syndicated show of some sort.

Hopefully ESPN will do a better job of replacing Patrick than they did when they replaced Kornheiser with Cowherd!

Default Re: Dan Patrick to leave ESPN

I didn't hear what he had to say, but is he just leaving ESPN radio or ESPN altogether.

Personality I was sad when Kornheiser left - his radio show was so unique and I really enjoyed it. Dan Patrick''s radio show seems like a dime a dozen and I won't miss him because his show just isn't unique

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dan Patrick just announced that he will be leaving ESPN as of Aug. 17th. He said something about "going out on his own" and being a free agent. Makes me think he will be doing a syndicated show of some sort.

Hopefully ESPN will do a better job of replacing Patrick than they did when they replaced Kornheiser with Cowherd!
    I like Patrick less than I like Cowherd. Both have their moments of annoying me, but Patrick has them more often. He is the whiniest person on the radio. He'll be easy to replace. Hey, maybe they move Cowherd into his time slot.

streets ahead

i suppose this means rosie will want this job too
    This is the darkest timeline.

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Maybe he was offered a position of Co-co-president of basketball operations with the Pacers?
    Narf!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thank god. I couldn't stand his show. One of the worst ones on the radio.

I personally love the Herd. If the move Collin or not I think Doug Gottlieb should have either Dan's slot or Collin's spot. I like his radio shows. But if I could have one wish I would wish they would Canel Jim Rome's show because it suck horrible and my espn radio cuts Collins last hour and time delays dan's show to kill me with Rome's show

The only ones worth listening to on ESPN is The Herd (great) and to a MUCH lesser degree Dan Patrick...

if you want to listen to good sports talk, the gold standard, listen to Mike and the Mad Dog on www.wfan.com - but you have to like baseball or wait for the fall
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hate both Patrick's show and the Herd..

My prediction: Dan is hosting The Price Is Right when it returns to the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I didn't hear what he had to say, but is he just leaving ESPN radio or ESPN altogether.

Personality I was sad when Kornheiser left - his radio show was so unique and I really enjoyed it. Dan Patrick''s radio show seems like a dime a dozen and I won't miss him because his show just isn't unique
    As far as the TV part he left that a bit open, but he is leaving the ESPN radio side entirely.

I know that a number of people here don't care for him, and I've never understood that. I have a really difficult time listening to Cowherd, such as recently when he would spent about half the show talking about Paris Hilton. Come on Cowherd, we don't care about her, get back on sports, for cryin' out loud.

I do have to say that I enjoyed Dan Patrick's show more when he was teamed with Dibble. That gave a good contrast. I also really like the show when he and Olberman are on together.

I also agree with UB about Kornheiser. I really, really miss hearing his show, and of course, old guy radio!
    Last edited by Tom White; 07-09-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in OH View Post
    The only ones worth listening to on ESPN is The Herd (great) and to a MUCH lesser degree Dan Patrick...

if you want to listen to good sports talk, the gold standard, listen to Mike and the Mad Dog on www.wfan.com - but you have to like baseball or wait for the fall
    If you enjoy Mike and the Mad Dog, you might think this is funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppKLhlpkKyg

There's a link to the real Mad Dog tirade in the "related" box.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    I hate both Patrick's show and the Herd..

My prediction: Dan is hosting The Price Is Right when it returns to the air.
    He already shot that rumor down.

I've never really listened to Mike and the Mad Dog - although I've heard some highlights from time to time. I know they are extremely popular in the NY market - I think they are the highest rated morning show in the whole NY area- which is amazing for a sports show.

I enjoy the Mike and Mike show on ESPN a lot. One way I can tell I really enjoy a sports talk radio show is when I enjoy listening even when they aren't discussing the NBA. I pretty much enjoy any show that discusses the NBA - but I enjoy the Mike and Mike show when they talk about sports that I don't like.

One guy that I cannot stand is Greg Rakestraw here in Indy on ESPN 950. Just the way he talks is so annoying - it is like he's yelling all the time and when he says things like "Lets talk all things Pacers" What in the heck does that mean - except that he uses the phrase "all things" way way too much. I like JMV much better

Yes it's bittersweet I guess.

I used to like his show around when Dibble was on there. It seemed like over the last three years or so he became less and less relevant., and alot more whinier and predictable. Four days out of five he would not only cover the exact same specific topics as the Herd and Mike and Mike but pose the exact same questions ?

Generally you can see if a topic was the hot one for the day or a certain incident. But when one shows pulls out of the air a certain question who's better this guy or that guy.. Dan would recite the same thing ?!

He would take it so personal during some interviews, when it wasn't going his way.

I remember how upset onetime when he called Edge in Miami during the contract holdout and was upset that he referred him to
    his Agent Rosenhaus.

You got the feeling he got too comfortable as if the name Dan Patrick alone would carry the show...

This move was certainly for the best as far as his Radio Show is concerned.

Hopefully Uncle Reg can find a new slot somewhere with the Herd or Mike and Mike. I had a feeling Patrick's ratings had to be slipping, I don't know how much if a factor that was or not I am bit surprised that he is calling it quits altogether.

I missed Kornheiser's show as well and was intially not sure who or what the his Herd guy way. He is an aquired taste. He's the only one I know that's favorite drink is the same as mine (Fresca).
    And that he wears shoe's with no laces almost exlusively as do I
    certainly helps for me.

But I really enjoy his show most of the time. He keeps it moving., a different perspective. Not always all sports all the time, but neither was Kornheiser.
    Last edited by Frank Slade; 07-09-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Why Not Us ?

* Disclaimer - I repeal all fireworks and dancing Bavettas if he's not leaving the TV studio as well. I'm not a fan of his radio show aside from when Stern is on really either, but I don't really listen to ESPN radio anyway. What I'm really hoping is that this means he will never return to the inside of my TV set.

I've never really listened to Mike and the Mad Dog - although I've heard some highlights from time to time. I know they are extremely popular in the NY market - I think they are the highest rated morning show in the whole NY area- which is amazing for a sports show.

They are on from 1-6:30... Imus was on in the morning, and by God's grace, will be back on the air soon
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

I've never like Dan Patrick.. good riddance

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post

You got the feeling he got too comfortable as if the name Dan Patrick alone would carry the show...
    Good thinking Frank.
    Actually, he alluded to "starting to take it all for granted" as one of the reasons for leaving.

But who's going to relay Reggie's criticisms of the franchise if Dan's gone.

I enjoy the Mike and Mike show on ESPN a lot. One way I can tell I really enjoy a sports talk radio show is when I enjoy listening even when they aren't discussing the NBA. I pretty much enjoy any show that discusses the NBA - but I enjoy the Mike and Mike show when they talk about sports that I don't like.

One guy that I cannot stand is Greg Rakestraw here in Indy on ESPN 950. Just the way he talks is so annoying - it is like he's yelling all the time and when he says things like "Lets talk all things Pacers" What in the heck does that mean - except that he uses the phrase "all things" way way too much. I like JMV much better
    Darn it UB, I'm sarting to agree with you too much today.

I listen to Mike and Mike each day and never get tired of them. As for Rakestraw, well... When he first started (When 950 became the ESPN affiliate) I liked the idea that there was an alternative to Mark Patrick (Whom I still cannot stomach.), however, as time has gone on I have found myself listening to darn near ANYTHING other than Rakestraw. I'll bet they talk more about golf than the darned Golf Channel does.

I wish the 1260 signal was better down here in Brown County, but such is the way of radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in OH View Post
    They are on from 1-6:30... Imus was on in the morning, and by God's grace, will be back on the air soon
    My bad - I got confused.

I used to not be able to stand Mike and Mike, but I actually enjoy them now. I like the fact that they are on TV in the mornings too. Gives me something else to watch besides Cold Pizza (or whatever they call it now) and Sportscenter.

To echo everyone's comments

-
    - Yes, one hopes they do a better job than when they replaced Tony with Herd.
    -
    - The only time his show was good was when Dibble and Sean Salisbury were on there. It was tolerable with just Dibble. It was awful with just Dan. I never listened when Olberman was on, but he's a freakin' idiot, so I doubt he helped any.
    -
    - If they were smart, they'd get Salisbury. He's doing a show out of Chicago now. If not him, maybe they can get Kasilius to come back from Nascar Now.
    - And lastly,
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Good lord, how can anyone on an NBA board like the Herd? Cowherd knows absolutely nothing outside of football. Listening to him talk about the NBA or MLB is like listening to Skip Bayless.

I liked listening to the Big Show with Dan and Keith. Dan also always had Reggie and Barkley on, which made the show enjoyable.