Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most of you will love this. Wells latest blog

Default Re: Most of you will love this. Wells latest blog

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey, just because we signed a Kareem means you can take down your avy.

BOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I like the cotton candy hair, though.)
    uh oh..... Now you've done it, that troll picture and yours make for a wicked mix, beware of who you try to scare!
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Showtime View Post
    You didn't even give an opportunity to explain. Like I said, I wasn't directing at the direction of the Pacers organization. I was laughing at the writer of the article who thinks Kareem Rush is more important to a team than Jason Kapono.

C'com, are you guys really this sensitive from a fan who just expressed his honesty about certain players who he knew because he once played for us? The writer hyped up and put too much hope in Kareem. From my opinion, when he played for the Lakers, he is a team cancer. Why? because he is lazy and he thinks he has the skill and talent to be a Lakers starter. But in what position he wants? he can't play PG because he has no playmaker or passing ability. He wants to replace Kobe which are one of the reasons he got shipped out of LA.

The guy is a streaky shooter as hell. When he's hot, he can makes 3 with the best of them. But when he's not, don't be surprise of him having a 10-20 game of lackluster performance, while probably not showing up ready for practice.

That is just my 2 cents btw.
    It's easy to take things for granted when they've been handed to you. But hopefully the time overseas will serve as a wakeup call, since he's had to work his way back. People don't have to be slaves to their past performance. What Rush was as a Laker and as a Bobcat will be as irrelevant as he wants it to be. But this could likely be the defining moment in his career. If there was ever a more tailor made situation than Indiana for him, I don't know where it would be. We are dreadfully thin at the 2, have been playing people out of position there about since Reggie retired, and he brings a skill set to the table that we sorely need. As to the Kapono comparison, I think it's valid from a talent perspective moreso than a past performance perspective. Kapono brings one thing to the table, and that's all. Rush has more all around game than he has, even if he's not the same shooter. I think this will work out as much as Rush allows it to.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I don't know what to think about the open practice. I don't think it's inherently wrong, but unlike Wells I don't see it as inherently better either. Sure we like it but I'm sure plenty of coaches keep it closed and for good reasons.
    I'm glad he's having open practices. I think the fans will enjoy that more than the closed-door policy that alot of coaches have and right now, our organization needs all the positive pub that it can get.

I'd be surprised if all practices are open to the public or even the media. Larry Brown opened up training camp practices back when he coached the Pacers and one of my best memories was going to watch one of the practices in Larry's first season up at Purdue. That was one of the best things I ever did and wow Antonio Davis was a revelation at the time. But watching Larry Brown conduct practices was something I'll never forget.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

A few points -

On open practices: don't expect open practices once the season begins.

On the article being "sunshiny": I don't believe that it is. It just seems like reporting to me. So why does it seem "sunshiny"? I think hearing the contrasts between O'Brien's style and Carlisle's style is making all of us giddy from the change. These changes may not equate to wins. It's just different and anything different is being interpreted as good right now.

Enjoy it while it lasts, but please don't get too excited. When we start the season 8-12, don't blow your top either. This will take a while.

We'll inevitably find out if pushing the ball up, stepping back for the 3, revealing methods and style to the press through open practices, and/or overworking your players in practice are good things. Every one of those things could be bad depending on the players you have to work with.

(Example: stepping back for the 3 ain't such a great idea if none of your players shoot above 40% from 3 and above 50% for wide open 3's.)

That said, I don't think there is a single thing wrong with emphasizing hand use on D. That's good all around.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'd be surprised if all practices are open to the public or even the media. Larry Brown opened up training camp practices back when he coached the Pacers and one of my best memories was going to watch one of the practices in Larry's first season up at Purdue. That was one of the best things I ever did and wow Antonio Davis was a revelation at the time. But watching Larry Brown conduct practices was something I'll never forget.

Not to be wistful, but I got to sneak a look through the curtains at BSU and see Majerus run a few practices, way cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Not to be wistful, but I got to sneak a look through the curtains at BSU and see Majerus run a few practices, way cool.
    Majerus was a total nutcase. An effective nutcase, but a nutcase.

At any time during practice, 3-4 players would be running windsprints for such offenses as shooting short (instead of long; he demanded that if you miss, you miss long) and not communicating. He was old school.

But the nutcase part: the famous incident in Utah where he brought out soiled tissue paper as a metaphor for how effectively his team had played.

Perhaps it would have been best if those practices had been closed to the public.

I don't think that's really accurate though. I mean he got the hard dump in Philly after a +500 season for team that was clearly in a tough spot, and was sitting out doing small writing jobs for ESPN. He hasn't even done as much with the NBA as Bob Hill. Until Bird pulled him out of nowhere off a couple of phone calls he wasn't in the coaching replacement buzz since the Philly job.
    Good point. Perhaps then he's putting an emphasis on being more open to make good with the local media and avoid being run out of town again during what are sure to be some trying years for Pacers fans.
    Last edited by bulldog; 07-09-2007 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Showtime View Post
    Kareem Rush is not a shooter. He's not a consistent shooter like Kapono. You want a guy who is a master of what he's doing rather than a guy who is mediocre with everything he does. Kareem Rush is that guy. He's not good with anything. And his attitude is not something you want on a team.

Okay...I'm not a troll by any mean. I don't how you can't see that. I even bolded the part in the article as a mean to why I inserted the icon. If you are talking about troll, looks at MagicRat's post (I don't mean to attack him btw, just an example I want to show). How is a post consist of "boo...." is any better than mine?

It seems to me I got hate because I'm a Lakers fan, and not a Pacers fan in a Pacers forum.

Can we also stop making Kapono out to be Reggie Miller or Ray Allan. The man is a spot up shooter(very good at what he does)If anything the guy is a bigger version of Steve Kerr.

I don't know what to think about the open practice. I don't think it's inherently wrong, but unlike Wells I don't see it as inherently better either. Sure we like it but I'm sure plenty of coaches keep it closed and for good reasons.
    Well, here's one idea.

This is a team that needs to re-connect with the market. BADLY needs to re-connect. Warming up to the media, instead of shutting the practice doors in their faces may prove helpful in doing that. Let the media see how hard the team is working to get back to where it needs to be, and to report on that.

On the other hand, it is only rookie/free agent practice, so who knows what the regular season may bring in terms of open practices.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Majerus was a total nutcase. An effective nutcase, but a nutcase.

At any time during practice, 3-4 players would be running windsprints for such offenses as shooting short (instead of long; he demanded that if you miss, you miss long) and not communicating. He was old school.

But the nutcase part: the famous incident in Utah where he brought out soiled tissue paper as a metaphor for how effectively his team had played.

Perhaps it would have been best if those practices had been closed to the public.

Good point. Perhaps then he's putting an emphasis on being more open to make good with the local media and avoid being run out of town again during what are sure to be some trying years for Pacers fans.

I saw him scream for 15 minutes protecting and grabbing his "area" trying to show Paris McKurdy how to set a pick, his face was red and I thought he was going to pass out.

This MIGHT end up being a new Rush, but it will be a rebirth for him if it is, not a natural progression. We all hope it works out for both sides, but it's WAY too early to expect it to be this way. Right now Kapono remains the far better choice, especially considering who Rush is going off the dribble against.

When Rush shoots anywhere close to Kapono's rate AND can get by Billups from time to time, then I'll listen to that angle. Until then I'm very tenative on the acquisition.
    I agree. But the important part that still hadn't been mentioned in this thread is the price we got Rush for. Kapono demanded a healthy chunk of cash and got it from the Raps. For the amount we're paying Rush, we can afford to take the risk and hope he pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by D23 View Post
    I agree. But the important part that still hadn't been mentioned in this thread is the price we got Rush for. Kapono demanded a healthy chunk of cash and got it from the Raps. For the amount we're paying Rush, we can afford to take the risk and hope he pans out.
    We got great value for Rush who I believe will be in the rotation. Is he as good a shooter as Kapono? If you go by percentages absolutely not, and as a spot up shooter no way, its not even close.The thing about Rush is even when he was on the Lakers and Bobcats is he can create his own shot and you can use him to come off screens, he can hit shots off the dribble.Is a consistant dead eye Reggie Miller, Ray Allen shooter? Nope but he is somebody who should be able to score some points for us off the bench and he is somebody you can't really leave open.

I think Rush will do just fine hitting 3's if we can get him open looks, which seems to be one of the biggest focal points of our offense.

Also, was I the only one who thought "it sounds like Stephen Jackson" when I read the Laker fans' criticism of Rush's shooting?

And before I get flanked, I'm only comparing the shooting.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Also, was I the only one who thought "it sounds like Stephen Jackson" when I read the Laker fans' criticism of Rush's shooting?
    I noticed the comment. I don't know enough about Rush to have an opinion on this.

I just have a hard time believing that a veteran FA looking to use the summer league to get back into the league is going to get a lot of playing time once the regular season begins.

Right now, I look at Rush as Rawle Marshall's replacement. And he may be an upgrade, but right now I think we've got all this hubbub over a guy that's probably going to play less than 400 minutes.

(I hope he proves me wrong, I just can't come up with any reason why we're even spending so much cyber bandwidth - or why The Star is using this much ink - talking about this guy. Except, of course, that Bird promised "a shooter, one of the best in the league" and so far this is what we've been given...)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Majerus did that? I always thought that was a BK thing. Well if he did'nt I am pretty sure he thought about it. :-)
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Well, they used as much ink on a guy who isn't even here with guaranteed money, so where's the complaining about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Well, they used as much ink on a guy who isn't even here with guaranteed money, so where's the complaining about that?
    Not sure I follow you?

There's an article on that Owens guy and it looks about as long as the one on Kareem Rush. So clearly the Pacers are hyping him up too, right? By that logic, it seems to be the case.

Actually, there's been two articles on Rush, plus a blog entry, plus one on Pacers.com, where Owens shared an article with David Logan.

[edit] As I remember, Rim is keeping a running total of the word count.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Oh, I haven't even touched that thread/ article yet.

Who's Owens?

See - I don't really pay much attention to the summer league roster/ news/ whatever because its rare that one of those players even makes the roster. But there isn't anything else to write about this time of the year. In reality, there isn't anything at all to write about this time of year, but they (a) know we're hungry for whatever "news" they can give us, and (b) need to fill pages in order to sell ads on those pages, so they print stuff anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Actually, there's been two articles on Rush, plus a blog entry, plus one on Pacers.com, where Owens shared an article with David Logan.

[edit] As I remember, Rim is keeping a running total of the word count.

They're just giving the people what they want. Streets can't wait.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hmm, in that article it says we're thinking about picking up Tony Delk as a 3rd PG, that really wouldn't bother me.

I know it sounds ridiculous to be harping on this but I think he's definately an above average 3rd PG that has backup PG talent. It's kind of like when we had Haywoode Workman as a third PG. Sure, his offense was terrible, but he was a nice defender and served his purpose. Delk doesn't have any particular redeeming quality, but he's solid all the way around.

If having good second and third string point guards is one of the more exciting things about this team, then I worry about my sanity for the upcoming year, however.

Man, O'Brien is gonna make this team a winner!!! I'm glad to hear some positive stuff!!!

Tony Delk? These are our off-season moves?

Bizarre.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I really don't like the "step back for a 3" philosophy. Imo you oughta take your shots in the flow of the offense.

Other than that, I've only read good things about our new coach thus far.