Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Should we try and keep McLeod?

  1. #1
    Member indyman37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    903

    Default Should we try and keep McLeod?

    Getting to the point

    http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?I...ubCategoryID=0
    Friday, July 6, 2007

    By JOSH WEIR



















    CANTON Keith McLeod's 2006-07 NBA season was going nowhere fast.



    Injuries, inconsistent playing time and a trade plagued the former McKinley High School star as he headed toward free agency.



    But a résumé-building final seven games salvaged McLeod's season and maybe will earn him a few more dollars.



    "That was huge," said the 27-year-old McLeod, who was dealt from Golden State to Indiana in January. "At the end I got an opportunity and I showed a little bit of what I could do."



    An injury to Pacers starting point guard Jamaal Tinsley opened the door. In McLeod's final seven games - six of them starts - he averaged 11.0 points in 28.0 minutes, shooting 50 percent (27-of-54) from the field, 46.7 percent (7-of-15) from the 3-point line and 94.1 percent (16-of-17) from the foul line.



    "You've got to have respect for a guy who keeps himself ready for an opportunity," said then-Indiana Coach Rick Carlisle.



    "He has a terrific feel for the game, and we're finding out he can make outside shots with consistency."



    WORKING ON HIS SHOT



    McLeod's ability to knock down jumpers has always been his biggest question mark.



    "At practice or when I'm working out by myself, I'm making shots," said McLeod, an unrestricted free agent. "But when you get on the floor (in a game), you need that confidence, that up-and-down run to get into a groove. The biggest thing with me is repetition out on the floor."



    He was limited to 48 games overall, 26 in Golden State and 22 in Indiana, averaging 4.8 points in 15.0 minutes a night.



    But his late-season performance wasn't lost on the Pacers, who let go of Carlisle after the season and replaced him with veteran Coach Jim O'Brien.



    "Keith had a very strong finish to last season at Indiana," McLeod's agent, Mark Termini, said. "They've expressed interest in signing him, but we're very early in the process."



    McLeod described his exit meeting with Pacers President Larry Bird as "good."



    "Bird just said I was the kind of guy they liked - didn't get in trouble, worked hard, did the things that needed to get done out on the floor," McLeod said.



    Utah is another destination that would make sense for McLeod. The Jazz recently lost veteran guard Derek Fisher. Utah is familiar with McLeod, who played two seasons in Salt Lake City and seemed to be a favorite of Coach Jerry Sloan.



    Termini wouldn't comment on what other teams have expressed interest in McLeod. The agent's close-to-the-vest negotiating style seems to extend to his client as well.



    "He'll just keep it at, 'There's been a lot of interest, a lot of talk,' " said McLeod, smiling, about inquisitions to Termini on the interest level he's getting in the open market.



    McLeod doesn't worry about his future. He just keeps working.



    Starting July 11, he'll spend 10 days in Las Vegas with trainer Joe Abunassar, who has helped NBA players Kevin Garnett, Chauncey Billups, Tayshaun Prince, Baron Davis and Drew Gooden, among others.



    McLeod, a quick, slashing point guard, wants to add some strength to his 6-foot-2, 190-pound frame to help with the grind of the NBA schedule.



    While he always looks improve his game, McLeod's main selling points never change.



    "I'm going to bring energy, defense, a little toughness, a little feistiness," McLeod said. "That's just me. That's how I clawed my way through the league."



    He also brings 200 games of NBA experience - including 88 starts -and the ability to adapt to just about any style.



    From the hard-nosed Sloan to the fun-and-gun of Don Nelson in Golden State, McLeod has seen it all.



    "I just want to be somewhere where I'm going to be able to play," he said, "somewhere that the situation fits me."
    I want to keep McLeod. We don't have to sign him to a big contract or anything but I would like to retain him. It doesn't seem like we are really doing anything on the "improving the roster" front and it's looking more and more like we are going to be stuck with what we have at the PG spot. Keith is the type of player Bird supposedly wants, as well as other teams. I think he could be at least a quality backup for our obvious starter. But should we try to keep McLeod or get another PG for a small amount of money?

  • #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,312

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    I want to keep him, I agree with Bird's assessment.

  • #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,311

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    Yes, I think McLeod has shown enough the Pacers should be interested. He's a good citizen for the Pacers and smart enough to relate to and work the fans.

    Saw him leaving Coseco this past season and sign autographs for a number of fans outside. Diogu was with him and kept complaining that they needed to go with this pi$$ed look on his face. McLeod busted his chops, told him to quit *****ing, grab a sharpie and start signing.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  • #4
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    i would be very pleased if keith came back. especially given his end of the season performance.
    This is the darkest timeline.

  • #5
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    Agreed. May as well keep the end-of-the-rotation guy that's already been here rather than bringing in a new one.

    Meanwhile, have we heard anything definitive from DA if he's coming back? I know there was some talk of retirement but can't say I've heard anything.

  • #6
    Member indyman37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    903

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. May as well keep the end-of-the-rotation guy that's already been here rather than bringing in a new one.

    Meanwhile, have we heard anything definitive from DA if he's coming back? I know there was some talk of retirement but can't say I've heard anything.
    He said towards the end of the season that he is coming back. I think he reiterated that in the end-of-season comments.

  • #7
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    I'd like to keep him as well. If nothing else he's a solid 3rd PG. At best he's a solid backup PG.

  • #8
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    He's a better backup PG than anybody we've had since Tim Hardaway.

    And maybe the best backup PG we've had since Vern Fleming.

    He's not supposed to set the world on fire. He's supposed to keep the offense moving, keep his man in front of him, and let the coach have confidence that he can keep his starting PG at 30-34 mpg without everything going to hell during the other 14-18 minutes per game.

    Jerry Sloan has taught him well.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  • #9
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,537

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    I really like Keith too.. he's not a game changer, but he's usually capable of keeping the ship afloat, and that's all I think we need out of our backup point.

  • #10
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,527

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    I'd like to keep Keith.

    In fact of the two point guards on our team I would start Keith, but that's just me.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  • #11
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd like to keep Keith.

    In fact of the two point guards on our team I would start Keith, but that's just me.
    You might want to (I guess I'm asking) clarify why that is.

  • #12
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,537

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might want to (I guess I'm asking) clarify why that is.
    I guess one method of thinking would be that a guy like Tins might be better suited with a role coming in off the bench as a scorer.. and I'm not sure that I disagree. Maybe that's the kind of shakeup a team like us could use to make a little noise in the East.

  • #13
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    Agree. I'm perfectly happy to have him as a backup PG, especially if his shot can improve at all.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  • #14

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    There will be games where he stinks less than Tinsley.

  • #15
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,406

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    I'd like for him to stay, but if he's faced with staying here vs. going back to play with the playoff Utah Jazz, who do you think he'd choose?

  • #16

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd like to keep Keith.

    In fact of the two point guards on our team I would start Keith, but that's just me.

    I agree totally. Why is that you ask?

    Probably because he defends better than Tinsley (by a large margin in my view), because he is tougher minded, because he is more of a leader, and because I trust him more. He is more reliable, more level headed, less likely to make bonehead plays and crucial mistakes, and seems less likely to get injured. I don't think he has Tinsley's natural talent, and I think Jamal would put up better numbers.....but I think our TEAM would be better with Keith in there.

    I also think we can get away with this because we have 2 ballhandlers on the floor I trust in Dunleavy and Daniels, and because we are going to play a 2 guard front alot, where you don't need quite as good an offensive point guard in terms of running the team and making decisions.

    Peck and I each love defensive point guards I think, and we've each had our fill of Tinsley due to his lousy defense. (at least thats my view anyway).

    Tbird

  • #17
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,470

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    I like Keith, he's a solid backup PG that has done well here with limited opportunities.

    I'd love to bring him back for a couple of years and see what he can do. He could end up in Pacers lore like a Haywoode Workman or Vern Fleming type of backup PG who was always rock solid for us when we needed him, realized he was never a star, but just played his role and played it well.

  • #18

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    McLeod's a keeper, no doubt. Would probably make a decent starter, but I'd like to see how the JOB/Tinsley project works out first. Regardless, McLeod is a guy I'd want on the team. TPTB need to make this happen!

  • #19
    Boom Baby! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,747

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    Armstrong is going to break down eventually, and with them releasing Greene, they should definitely give him a look.

  • #20
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,620

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd like to keep Keith.

    In fact of the two point guards on our team I would start Keith, but that's just me.
    You ain't the only one!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  • #21
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    Well what choice do they have?

    Army showed that he's not the answer, at least after the first month. No pick and the crap I saw at summer today shows that there are no Snaps coming to camp this fall either.

    Barring a trade that brings someone like Farmar over you have to keep Keith. I'm not thrilled with it personally because I don't love his shot, but as a 3rd PG I'd be fine with him. My concern is that he's going to be forced to start at times and run 35 mpg for stretches. I mean how can you want his 35% FG on the court if you hate Tinsley's 40%?

    Yes he started at Utah. And their record that season (pre-Deron)? 26-56. Pair that with the 25 win pace the Pacers ran the last 3 months and you can see a big problem looming if he's your starting PG.

    Also despite playing limited minutes which often favors guys in a per48 he still comes in 4th among Pacers PGs in Assists per 48 with 6.4. Compare that to Tinsley (10.6), Saras (8.1), and Army (7.2).

    For all the talk about keeping the offense running, how exactly did a sub-40% FG guy getting 1 assist every 8 minutes of playing time do that?

    Also note that his steals per 48 ran at a Saras/Troy level, not exactly defensive aces themselves.

  • #22
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For all the talk about keeping the offense running, how exactly did a sub-40% FG guy getting 1 assist every 8 minutes of playing time do that?
    He's not a starter, nobody is suggesting that.

    I've seen plenty of backup-PGs in the NBA that can't shoot 40%, get an assist every eight minutes, or keep thier man in front of them.

    If he were better, he'd be starting somewhere else.

    For a backup PG, the offense doesn't completely fall apart like it does with Orien Greene, or Erick Strickland, or DA, or Anthony Johnson, or Travis Bust, or, you get the picture.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  • #23
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd like to keep Keith.

    In fact of the two point guards on our team I would start Keith, but that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    McLeod's a keeper, no doubt. Would probably make a decent starter, but I'd like to see how the JOB/Tinsley project works out first. Regardless, McLeod is a guy I'd want on the team. TPTB need to make this happen!
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You ain't the only one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not a starter, nobody is suggesting that.

    i think it could be argued that a few might be suggesting that.

    i think he could be a starter in the right system, obrien's isn't one of them. but he's a solid backup.
    This is the darkest timeline.

  • #24
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    While I generally agree Keith is NOT who you want starting, wait a second: Assists is the measure of how well you run an offense now? Stephen Marbury much?

    When I think of "can so-and-so run an offense" I don't think "well how many assists does he get". I think "does he feed players who need to get their offense going", "does he get everyone involved", "can he call plays and do his part in making them work", which leads me to "does he make the pass the leads to an assist", or simply "does he know where to put the ball to initiate a play, even if that pass is about 2 or 3 passes before the assist". Not to mention "does he have a good feel for when to slow or push the tempo" and "does he make passes that arrive right where the scorer needs it to quickly make a move or take a shot". Things like that.

  • #25
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should we try and keep McLeod?

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i think it could be argued that a few might be suggesting that.

    i think he could be a starter in the right system, obrien's isn't one of them. but he's a solid backup.
    I don't think that's what they are arguing, though. They are just anti-Tinsley. Not that there is anything wrong with that...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Keith McLeod (of the clan McLeod) article
      By maragin in forum Indiana Pacers
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 06-02-2007, 01:21 AM
    2. Replies: 246
      Last Post: 04-20-2007, 01:50 AM
    3. Replies: 302
      Last Post: 02-09-2007, 11:39 AM
    4. McLeod and Harrison Could be activated Friday
      By TheDon in forum Indiana Pacers
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 02-01-2007, 07:22 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •