Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lakers-Pacers deal still lurking I think

Banned

Default Lakers-Pacers deal still lurking I think

I've been visiting my brother in NYC and have been busy as hell. Guess no deal went down prior to the draft, but I would not discount it, yet. After July 1, Brian Cook's salary went up to a bit over 3 million, which will help. The Lakers also obtained Crittenton, which, along with their inevitable guard signing (Fisher), will allow them to trade either Farmar or Crittenton, probably Crittenton. The Lakers also probably would want back Harrison, particularly if Mihm leaves. In fact, Mihm leaving would signify to me that this deal maybe will not happen, because JO would play center, and would not have a backup because Kwame is in the deal. That being said, I'll assume the Lakers sign Mihm, for argument's sake. I see the trade as follows:

Crittenton, Kwame, Cook, Bynum, 2009 #1, and either Mo Evans or Aaron McKie (he will retire and the Lakers will cash you out for it)

for

JO, Harrison

You get a starting PG and a starting C for possibly the next 10 years. I am a Lakers fan, and there are some out there even with Kobe's *****ing that want to stand pat. I don't. The other big deal the Lakers may make would be this:

Kwame, Bynum, Odom, Evans or McKie, 2009 #1

for

KG, Blount

Basically, assumming the Lakers had both deals on the table, the 1-3 positions are the same. Basically, you have to ask whether you would rather have Blount and KG, or Lamar and JO. To me, I would take Lamar and JO, but that can be argued, too. The Pacers have to be wary of the decent possibility that JO may opt out if the team fails to qualify this year. And I don't believe his value will be higher as the deadline approaches. Now, JO has his normal value. His value will not get higher, but maybe it could lower. If they deal him, now would be the time. If I were Bird or Walsh I would deal him, and as a Laker fan I am pleased that we at least can put a very solid offer like this on the table for a top 20 NBA player in JO.

Default Re: Lakers-Pacers deal still lurking I think

I'd take the first deal in a heartbeat.

Banned

It all depends on what the Lakers truly think of Bynum's upside. Also, the Lakers I think have a slight fantasy of keeping Bynum, and getting KG or JO for the full MLE because they have made lots of money and want to play in LA. Possible, but not likely. Bynum is talented, but he is a few years away from being what the Lakers need. But maybe I am wrong, because Kobe came on strong in his third year. This is tough for the Lakers, too, because the Lakers would have some size issues after this deal. That is why signing Mihm and getting Harrison is a must. And I also think having Turiaf, who can play with KG or JO, is nice for the Lakers. This deal is a distinct possibility.

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by LAKERERIC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It all depends on what the Lakers truly think of Bynum's upside. Also, the Lakers I think have a slight fantasy of keeping Bynum, and getting KG or JO for the full MLE because they have made lots of money and want to play in LA. Possible, but not likely. Bynum is talented, but he is a few years away from being what the Lakers need. But maybe I am wrong, because Kobe came on strong in his third year. This is tough for the Lakers, too, because the Lakers would have some size issues after this deal. That is why signing Mihm and getting Harrison is a must. And I also think having Turiaf, who can play with KG or JO, is nice for the Lakers. This deal is a distinct possibility.
    That's not fantasy, that's insanity. Neither JO nor KG will play for the MLE anytime during the next 5 years.

I think your best bet is to keep Lamar and get JO somehow. JO + Odom > KG. Also, I agree that KG is better than JO overall, but JO is definitely the better interior defender and if you lose size in the paint, JO is going to help more.

BTW, I would take the first trade and if offered I think JO will be traded...either that deal or NJ...or something else. Already I think Krstic and Jefferson will get it done because we will need to move JO under the circumstances....but we are not nearly as desperate as LA. We can keep JO for months, even into february of next year and still get back value.

Quote Originally Posted by indyman37 View Post
    I'd take the first deal in a heartbeat.
    Q:

Why do you want both Bynum and Thabeet? Aren't they both Centers?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Q:

Why do you want both Bynum and Thabeet? Aren't they both Centers?
    idk really. I wanted Thabeet before Bynum. So I guess Thabeet is a backup plan now.

Edit: Now it should make more sense.
    Last edited by indyman37; 07-07-2007 at 12:49 PM.

How good do you think Thabeet will be? He is awfully interesting.

Okay, great! I'm gonna call Donnie right now and tell him to pull the trigger!

I miss the CPK's.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post

I miss the CPK's.
    Haha, yeah. I think it's become pretty obvious that we aren't trading w/ LA unless they offer AB and LO. IMO, we would have already pulled the trigger if we were going to accept less.

People rail against our tyrannical admins, but if it were up to me I'd create a "Laker troll thread" and throw all these guys in there. It's getting pathetic.

People rail against our tyrannical admins, but if it were up to me I'd create a "Laker troll thread" and throw all these guys in there. It's getting pathetic.
    Yeah, I just ran into the "We are the LAKERS and we DESERVE TO BE GOOD" thread while searching the archives a little while ago...

I miss the CPK's.
    California Pizza Kitchen?

"I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That deal is as dead as these horses. Go bug Grizz fans about Gasol, maybe they are interested in your trash!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Banned

The only reason Laker trolls like myself (but a wise troll) bother you guys is we all love basketball and want to try to see what may happen. Let's face it: We all want the GM jobs for the Pacers or Lakers if we are fans. That is our fantasy. Obviously, with Kobe in the prime of his career, the Lakers are in a position where they have a very talented, but very young center, a young and very talented guard, expiring contracts, and will kick in a draft pick or two. Obviously, the Lakers are in win now mode, which guarantees them nothing. The Pacers, with Granger, Bynum, Crittenton, Williams, Diagu, and Daniels is a nice young core that should be 3-4 years away from being a legitimate threat to win the east. I hate it when fans of any team come with stupidity. If they come with legitimate, intelligent thoughts, then I listen. I will be honest, one of the reasons I come to these boards is I am tired of the some of the rantings of Lakers fans against Kupchak and for Kobe. It gets tiresome, because I am in the minority in saying Kupchak has done a nice job assembling young talent under difficult circumstances. My point is this trade is a legitimate possibility, which is why it is worth discussing. I put Bynum in the Mutombo, Smits, Divac, Parish, Dougherty mold of centers. I think he will be a 15-10-3 guy for a long time. Some Lakers fans think more of him, but I think that is what he is. Crittenton seems to have lots of talent, but I cannot compare him to anyone. You get the salary throw ins with McKie and Kwame, along with Cook, but you also get another #1. The trade does make a lot of sense for both teams, and I say that as unobjectively as I can.

Banned

I meant objectively! Slip...

Quote Originally Posted by LAKERERIC View Post
    The only reason Laker trolls like myself (but a wise troll) bother you guys is we all love basketball and want to try to see what may happen. Let's face it: We all want the GM jobs for the Pacers or Lakers if we are fans. That is our fantasy. Obviously, with Kobe in the prime of his career, the Lakers are in a position where they have a very talented, but very young center, a young and very talented guard, expiring contracts, and will kick in a draft pick or two. Obviously, the Lakers are in win now mode, which guarantees them nothing. The Pacers, with Granger, Bynum, Crittenton, Williams, Diagu, and Daniels is a nice young core that should be 3-4 years away from being a legitimate threat to win the east. I hate it when fans of any team come with stupidity. If they come with legitimate, intelligent thoughts, then I listen. I will be honest, one of the reasons I come to these boards is I am tired of the some of the rantings of Lakers fans against Kupchak and for Kobe. It gets tiresome, because I am in the minority in saying Kupchak has done a nice job assembling young talent under difficult circumstances. My point is this trade is a legitimate possibility, which is why it is worth discussing. I put Bynum in the Mutombo, Smits, Divac, Parish, Dougherty mold of centers. I think he will be a 15-10-3 guy for a long time. Some Lakers fans think more of him, but I think that is what he is. Crittenton seems to have lots of talent, but I cannot compare him to anyone. You get the salary throw ins with McKie and Kwame, along with Cook, but you also get another #1. The trade does make a lot of sense for both teams, and I say that as unobjectively as I can.
    I'll be a lot happier if we do the NJ trade and get two starters. What LA offers is a lot of maybes and the only one who isn't a maybe, Odom, they want to keep.

Banned

To show my objectivity I will tell you: If the NJ deal is on the table, you should do it! Absolutely. My opinion, and I can definitely be wrong, is that the Nets would not do that deal. The guy they drafted is a shot blocker and a rebounder, and Kristic was out last year and they still made a run. The Kidd-Jefferson chemistry is great, and I do not believe the Nets would do that. If they would, I would defintely take it as a Pacer fan. If Odom and Bynum were offered I'd take that, but as a Laker fan, that is too much for JO, but not for KG. KG is a top 10 player, JO top 20. The difference between the Min. trade and the Laker trade in the original post is the difference between Odom and Crittenton. I think that the Pacers should committ to the rebuild and would almost want Critttenton instead of Odom, considering their need for young, backcourt help, but I am probably wrong on that one because Odom is an established 15-10-5 assist guy.

I'm w/ Indyman37. I'd do the Bynum-Brown-Critt, etc. deal as soon
    as Crittenden can be moved (July 29, I assume).

The problem w/ the NJ deal is that while both are solid players, it
    only adds to the grossly unbalanced roster we already have and
    adds a player/presumed starter at both SF and PF in front of
    both highly (and over) paid guys in Duns and Murphy and
    youngsters in Granger, Williams and Diogu who need minutes,
    touches, etc. to progress.

If Dunleavy and Murphy were tradeable, it'd be a different story.
    But that's a longshot at best.

Quote Originally Posted by blanket View Post
    California Pizza Kitchen?

Cabbage Patch Kids. (Sarunas fanboys, before anybody asks.)

Eric, there's an edit button if you catch things like that in your post.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    what exactly are you trying to say?
    This is the darkest timeline.

Banned

Guys, it's CrittenTON nor CrittenDEN. Nothing major, just a small pet peeve.

There's been no news on this deal in quite a while. Normally you'd think that means it's dead, but knowing how the Pacers work, that probably means it's more alive than ever.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been outta town for a few days and the Oakland Press doesn't give one hoot for Pacer news. Actually, the P's coulda traded for Kobe and it prolly would take a back seat to local Golf coverage.

Anyway, if I'm betting, I'm betting this goes on thru the summer and then we accept the NJ deal or some such right before training camp.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Pacers could send David Harrison to the Lakers.

Why is the pick an '09 pick? Lakers haven't traded their '08 pick, have they?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    How good do you think Thabeet will be? He is awfully interesting.
    I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but to be Thabeet is Dikembe Mutumbo with a little more offense. I think this guy will have a long and successful career in the NBA. He's a somewhat better Mutumbo and a MUCH better Ben Wallace.

The problem with Thabeet is that he's almost an essential player to you winning if you have him because his defense prowess would be otherwise severly missed, but he STILL will never be anyone's #1 scoring option. He'll be best of complimented with a high scoring wing.

If you get a good distributor at PG, a couple of high scoring, hard nosed wings like Williams and Granger, and an anchor in the middle like Thabeet, well then you're in quite good shape.

You'd also want a nice outside shooter. Kareem Rush maybe?