Thread: Video Compression Help

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Video Compression Help

For all of those who are more knowledgeable about video compression. . . . help.

I have just completed my first student film and am having a hard time compressing it to a size that will work for Youtube. HELP!!!!

Default Re: Video Compression Help

What format is the video in? How big is the size of the file?

I have it on my PC, but it is from a file that I created on a Mac OS X. As for the specific format I am uncertain. When I look at the files properties it doesn't provide a .mpg, or a .wma. On the Mac it was a Quick time file. The files size is 1.46 Gigs according to the properties.

I've seen long videos be put on youtube, but I can only figure those are from people with "special" accounts since normally they limit you to 10 minutes.

If I had the file on my computer, there's a good chance I could compress it and cut it into pieces to upload a part at a time onto youtube. The issue is getting it to me.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what is right in front of you to use as an editor. Does anyone else have suggestions? MagicRat ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've seen long videos be put on youtube, but I can only figure those are from people with "special" accounts since normally they limit you to 10 minutes.

If I had the file on my computer, there's a good chance I could compress it and cut it into pieces to upload a part at a time onto youtube. The issue is getting it to me.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what is right in front of you to use as an editor. Does anyone else have suggestions? MagicRat ?
    The File itself is only like 6 minute long. I figure the reason for its size has something to do with Final Cut Pro. As for getting it to you its too bad there isn't a way to upload the file to a server for you to access it at.

Well, we could try AIM if you'd like. I have no idea if it'll stay connected that long though.

So this is a mac file? It doesn't say ANYWHERE what file type it is? Because if it's something mac-centric, I may not be able to help regardless; I have a mac, but no video software. I have some big guns on my PC though.

let me get AIM really fast. All i have is MSN Messanger

Okay I have the application. The file was created on a MAC OSX with Final Cut Pro 5. I then exported it through FCP5 to the DVD-R in the form of a Quicktime file. This is were I am at right now. What is weird is that I can watch the file on my PC but since I don't have any editing software I can't edit it on my PC. As for the file extension I have looked at all the places were I would normally try to find the extension and it isn't there.

PM me your AIM screen name and I'll add you in a minute (I have to re-install AIM; I formatted my harddrive a week ago).