Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We arent as bad as last year made us out to be

Default We arent as bad as last year made us out to be

I think with a healthy quis and a healthy JO and tins we might be a good team! rush coming off the bench will be some deff scoring threat! I think anywhere from 4-8 seed is attainable. And in the east anything can happen! maybe granger can develop into a star sometime this century?
    I really dont think we are as bad as last year made us out to be. We just have to be able to score. The droughts KILLED us last year.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Default Re: We arent as bad as last year made us out to be

I knew it, you're Larry!

Come on, fess up!
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

(Actually I tend to agree with more or less what you're saying)

But to borrow from Kstat: We're DOOOOOOOOOOOMED.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

i thought it was our defense that killed us...

Yes, defense was the downfall of the team last year. With Jim and Dick were going to actually be a good defensive squad next year. Rick Carlisle was a lazy coach, I've never seen the man get angry once. Maybe Jim and Dicky can put some heart into coaching and maybe actually yell?

Anyway, I don't know why you guys dislike Mike and Troy. Mike is incositant, I know but he is worth 12 a game no matter what. If he doesn't he supplies us with actually decent defense ( I said it, decent defense, I've watched the kid play for 40 games last season, he has the fundamentals to be a good defender, maybe the new coaches can bring it out)steals, and rebounds.

Troy Murphy is probably one of the most underrated shooting powerforwards in the league today. He's automatic anywhere on the court.

Kareem Rush strengthens the bench dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think with a healthy quis and a healthy JO and tins we might be a good team! rush coming off the bench will be some deff scoring threat! I think anywhere from 4-8 seed is attainable. And in the east anything can happen! maybe granger can develop into a star sometime this century?
    I really dont think we are as bad as last year made us out to be. We just have to be able to score. The droughts KILLED us last year.

That's half of what the team needs to do in order to win games. The other is not to be outscored by the opposition. We are pretty lousy at both.

I just pray to the good lord you're right

Banned

I like Rick and think he is a good coach for the right team but.....

The biggest reason for our failure last year was RC. The team and RC clearly lost touch with one another the year before last. He should have never been brought back for last year. I think Larry realized that 20-25 games into the season. He just didnt want to do a mid season coaching change.

It was not the fact we were losing that bothered me last year, it was simply the way this team played. You could tell many guys on the roster were just going through the motions. Like they were playing to get a coach fired. It worked.

I think this team as is can be a 44-48 win team in the East. Although I would much rather see us build for the future and move JO for Bynum and Crittenton (plus Brown and filler). I dont ever see us contending for a title with JO on the roster.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Eh.... I think we will do worse. Why? Because most teams in our division are either elite or well developing young teams, while I just don't see us getting anywhere with the major injury risk players that form a very significant part of our squad.

Call me negative, cynical or a debbie downer if you will, but I don't see us beying a 7 or 8 seed in the east and that is best case IMO.

To blame it all on RC is lame. The pieces of this team just do not fit or form a good unit. I think Danny, Shawne, Ike and Dun Dun are bound to be better, maybe Troy aswell... I don't see us beying anywhere near good enough though if we keep this course of dilluding ourselves that we only need some tweaks.

Just my

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

What Mourning said.

Mood

Clarification: While I thinking spinning in place talking about how ****ed we are is too much, I'm not part of the "we're a patch away from being a beast in the east" either. I'm in favor of starting over. As long as it's not a firesale.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    To blame it all on RC is lame.
    I didnt blame it all on Rick. How do you get that from what I wrote?

I blamed his mere presence as a coach for some of it. I said the players wanted Rick gone (even before last year) and they played at a level that would get him fired. Purposely. I said Bird should have seen from the year before when the players quit playing for Rick that the situation was doomed for Rick.

So there is plenty of blame to go around. I certainly did not place all of it on anyone or the brunt of it on Rick.

We were underachieving last year even before we went into the tailspin. We will make the playoffs this coming year. Mainly because players will have a fresh attitude. How good we will be depends on what happens between now and the start of the season.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    We were underachieving last year even before we went into the tailspin. We will make the playoffs this coming year. Mainly because players will have a fresh attitude. How good we will be depends on what happens between now and the start of the season.
    I'm cautiously leaning towards this as well.

streets ahead

what kegboy said
    This is the darkest timeline.

We were underachieving last year even before we went into the tailspin.
    Really? I thought we were doing alright before the tailspin.

Btw, I nominate "Tailspin" as the official name of Rick Carlisle's final season, to go along with Isiah's "Collapse" and Brown's "Year we don't talk about".

Banned

Exactly Will.

And why were they underachieving? Last half of the 05-06 season and during the off season leading up to last year we heard the players griping about Rick. And we heard Bird publicly respond that he didnt care what the players thought that he was standing behind Rick. Oops!!

And that aint a knock on Rick or saying anything about his ability as a coach. It is simply saying that this team and Rick were not cohesive together.

Larry? Donnie?

Mourning is spot on. It's pretty easy to conclude the following teams will continue to be better than us:

Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland

High likelihood the same could be said for 4 more:

Washington, New Jersey, Miami and Toronto.

The rest will depend on how teams improve, and there are a few teams that are getting much better due to acquisitions and their players developing:

Orlando (Lewis), Atlanta (Acie Law, Al Horford - both locks) and New York (Randolph).

I could see New York and Orlando being much, much better next year. One of them is likely to break out IMO.

Philly will not be a pushover and the Bucks might surprise us. The Bucks are a much better team than their record and encountered even greater injury issues than the Pacers.

One thing we all need to realize is that some of these teams have been drafting talent for several years via the lottery and are getting ready to break out.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 07-04-2007 at 08:43 PM.

Sure other teams have got better, but teams can get better just from getting a new coach. So from that aspect, with Harter and O'B, we will get better too.

What happened last year is our guards couldn't stop penetration and we didn't have any shooter's to make teams pay for doubling and triple teaming JO. Remember JO is the same player that scored 55 points against Milwaukee when they refused to double team him.

Our shooting was spotty all year long, but we had a good stretch where we were catching up to Cleveland. Remember Barkley saying we would finish higher than Cleveland? Our shooting then went back to being spotty and we leveled off. Later our shooting just disappeared and that's when we went into the tailspin.

I expect better shooting this year. One, in O'B's offense players will be more in rhythm when taking shots, and two we are looking for shooters. If we can get a backup guard who can stop dribble penetration and get a couple shooters we will be right in the middle of the pack this coming season.

If JO is traded, and I think it more likely than not, then it will depend on who we get for him as to how good we will be.

I think Garnett will be traded, and if he's traded to the Suns you will suddenly see JO's value rise because teams will want a counter to Garnett. That won't happen until about a month before training camp starts though.

We are probably better than the second half of the season's record. That still doesn't excite me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Really? I thought we were doing alright before the tailspin.

Btw, I nominate "Tailspin" as the official name of Rick Carlisle's final season, to go along with Isiah's "Collapse" and Brown's "Year we don't talk about".
    Agreed on both accounts.

We were 29-24 prior to the 11-game losing streak. To me, that was well better than expected.

My prediction?

If you look closely, you can see Rick Carlisle and Orien Greene on the lifeboats...Troy Murphy should never have taken the wheel...

Anybody want to give me odds on LG getting nom'd for Most Humorous next year? I wish you could buy stock in such things.

I look at it like this: As bad as we were last season, we only have 2 areas that we really need improvement in. Defense, and Shooting. We went and got some coaching with a history of getting the best out of the defense. I believe a better and more "free flowing" offense, combined with a couple of good outside shooters will improve our shooting percentages. From the way thing's are going so far, its looking like we're trying to add to the team without subtracting much. In other words, we're trying to get better without giving up Jermaine.

For one thing, Rick totally slowed the offense down to dump the ball into JO, and we didn't have the shooters around him to make that succeed. Also, when JO was out injured, the team actually played well in a motion offense. I'm not saying we were better without Jermaine, but it forced us to play a style that fit the other players better. O'brien's style fits well with the players we have, which I think in itself will translate to more wins.