Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Articles on best NBA prospects for '08 Draft

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Articles on best NBA prospects for '08 Draft

I think this pertains to us since we might be competing for a top 5 pick come next spring. Its insider so I will post the article.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insid...oug&id=2921090
    ArticleIn one year, expect to hear Eric Gordon's name

From now until the next collective bargaining agreement changing the NBA's age-limit, the NBA draft will seem like a showcase for the one-and-done freshmen stars. Although there is a trend to draft winners (six of the top nine players drafted played in this year's Final Four), there will continue to be a trend to get in and out of college while you are hot.

It sounds cynical, but it's true. However, there are still games to be played. So here's a very early look at the top-five prospects for next year's draft heading into this season. The list is in particular order and is subject to change. But as of today...

1. Eric Gordon, Indiana
    Gordon would have been the first guard taken this year. He has deep range, a midrange game that is developing and he will finish in traffic as well. Unlike some of his fellow guards in this class, Gordon has no issues with sharing the ball on the floor or baggage off the floor. He is a huge reason for believing that IU is back. But for how long?

2. Kevin Love, UCLA
    The most complete big man to enter college basketball in a long time. Love is strong as an ox, a solid athlete, has a tremendous basketball IQ, a ridiculous outlet passer (coaches are raving) and his offensive arsenal is as complete as Tim Duncan's.

3. Derrick Rose, Memphis
    Rose has a body and game that is reminiscent of Jason Kidd. He is a fierce competitor who is driven to win and make his teammates better. Although he may not be quite the passer that Kidd is, he shoots it better than Kidd at this age. As good as Memphis was last year, wait until you seen the Tigers with Rose running the show.

4. Darrell Arthur, Kansas
    "Slim Shady" is a sleek, face-up forward who should come into his own in Year 2 at Kansas. Arthur has the tools necessary to be great, but he must put it all together. He lacks consistency.

5. Michael Beasley, Kansas State
    An incredibly talented power forward who has some Carmelo to his game, only he is a far more tenacious rebounder. He does have some baggage in terms of personal maturity, so a year in Manhattan, Kan., could do him wonders.

Others of note

O.J. Mayo, USC
    Ultra-athletic combo guard who enters college with all the hype of LBJ (had LeBron gone to college). He can defend, shoot and finish, but he struggles with knowing what to do when. If Tim Floyd can add discipline and decision-making to his arsenal, Mayo will live up to the massive hype that he sometimes struggles with.

Kyle Singler, Duke
    A Dirk Nowitzki type of forward. Has the most developed offensive arsenal of the incoming freshmen perimeter players.

D.J. Augustin, Texas
    The best pure point guard returning to college basketball next year. Augustin still needs to develop a more consistent jumper from 3-point range and break out of the massive shadow of Kevin Durant. Big 12 coaches rave about his ability to run the Horn's offense.

Brook Lopez, Stanford
    Very skilled at both ends of the floor and more athletic than his East Coast counterparts.

Roy Hibbert, Georgetown
    Huge, improving and very bright, Hibbert has come from nowhere to all the way to playing Greg Oden to a draw in Atlanta. Can he stay injury free while keeping the weight off?

Chase Budinger, Arizona
    Great talent and he knows how to play, but he needs to work on his poor defense. His lack of lateral quickness does not go unnoticed by NBA scouts. He could very well be a pro beach volleyball star if the NBA does not work out.

Hasheem Thabeet, Connecticut
    Still incredibly raw, but you can't teach height and shot blocking. He has both.

DeAndre Jordan, Texas A&M
    Should form an incredible 1-2 combo with Joseph Jones at Texas A&M. Jordan is a very athletic big man who is active and aggressive at both ends of the floor.

Donte Greene, Syracuse
    Thin pogo-stick type of athlete who will thrive if Syracuse starts to get up and down, which the Orange seem poised to try.

Paul Harris, Syracuse
    Do-it-all Paul has all the skills, except a jump shot. Strongest guard in college basketball, but he has no position. If he continues to improve his shooting next year as he did in Year 1, he could get in the lottery discussion, a discussion he was in coming out of prep school.

Tywon Lawson, North Carolina
    Exceptionally fast with the ball and a strong finisher in the lane, but his jumper and decision-making leave something to be desired. Lawson can really defend and will have a ton of opportunities to prove his mettle as UNC is a favorite heading into the year.

Darren Collison, UCLA
    Loved by his coaches and teammates, Collison may lack the creativity to be a big-time point guard in the pros. However, he has improved a ton the past two years, so anything seems possible.

Taj Gibson, USC
    Will be a 22-year-old sophomore, and he plays like a 10-year NBA veteran. Legit 6-foot-9 athlete who is adding strength, the only thing needed to his game.

Returning from Injury
    Billy Walker, Kansas State
    Would have been a lottery pick this year, but after his second ACL tear, Walker's return will be cause for great interest. A Vince Carter-type of athlete last year, his raw offensive game is supposed to be more refined with the time off.

Ronald Steele, Alabama
    Dual knee surgeries after a painful year leave us wondering what will become of the college game's premiere point guard. When healthy, Steele is a scoring point who has a knack for taking over a game in big spots. He was hobbled all of last season and used his guts and head to still be moderately effective. But he will need his knees to get into the league.
    DeVon Hardin, Cal

Big-time athlete and shot blocker who has a Stromile Swift-like ability to finish. Had a foot injury this year and is raw offensively, so he wisely pulled out of the draft last month. But with some refining, he should be in the lottery discussion next year.

Back from Suspension

C.J. Giles, Oregon State
    After getting kicked off the team at Kansas, he transferred to OSU. Giles has some baggage he needs to overcome. At 6-foot-10 and very agile, his raw talent had him pegged for the lottery until his dismissal.
    Josh Heytvelt, Gonzaga
    Ultra-athletic big man who needs the year to repair his off-court image. On the floor, he needs to play with more consistency. But when he brings it, he is a lottery pick.

Here is another one from Fraschilla again having Gordon as the number 1 NBA draft prospect.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insid...ran&id=2921404
    Article
    Indiana has a gem in Eric Gordon

While there's varying opinions on what the one-and-done rule will do for both the college game and the NBA, so far, it's been a roaring success. Not only did Greg Oden and Kevin Durant headline an electric NBA draft, considered one of the deepest in recent years, but six other freshmen were taken in the first round. Clearly, a season of college basketball branded them as household names and turned them into can't-miss NBA prospects.
    What better examples of the success of this than Kevin Durant's sweep of the national Player of the Year awards and the NCAA Tournament performances of Greg Oden and Mike Conley Jr. en route to the title game.

And with the NBA rule firmly in place, this trend is showing no sign of slowing. Get ready for some more precocious freshmen dominating the college landscape and leading their teams to top-10 status.
    So here are my top prospects for next June's NBA draft.

1. Eric Gordon, Fr., G, Indiana
    Has the size and strength to be a combo guard from Day 1 in the NBA. Look for him to have a monster one-and-done freshman year for Kelvin Sampson's revitalized Hoosiers.

2. Derrick Rose, Fr., G, Memphis
    If all goes well for Rose in Coach Cal's up-tempo system, he should be the 2008 draft's version of Mike Conley Jr. No one comes into college basketball this season with a better reputation as a passer.

3. O.J. Mayo, Fr., G, USC
    Already a household name, Mayo will replace departed Trojan draft picks Nick Young and Gabe Pruitt in Tim Floyd's USC backcourt next season. A do-it-all guard who is physically ready for the league, he just needs to tighten up his game to should hear his name called early in next year's draft.

4. Roy Hibbert, Sr., C, Georgetown
    The definition of a late-bloomer, Hibbert will continue to flourish in JT III's pass-first offensive system. While he may not be Ewing or Mourning, he will continue a long line of Hoya centers who go early in the draft.

5. Darrell Arthur, Soph., F, Kansas
    While Arthur would have been a top-10 pick this year, his continued improvement under Bill Self as a Jayhawk sophomore could land him in the top-three next June. He is a skilled power forward who is 15 pounds and a little more experience away from being an impact rookie.
    And because I couldn't help myself, here's one international player to watch as well.
    6. Victor Claver, 6-10, PF, Spain
    This upcoming class of internationals, born in 1988, may be one of the best ever. Claver is the poster-child for this group, although we may not see him in the league for two or three more seasons.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 07-02-2007 at 11:13 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Default Re: Article on best NBA prospects for '08 Draft

Obviously out of next years draft I think the two best fits for the Pacers are Gordon and Rose. Hopefully we will be able to come out of next years draft with at least one of them.

Default Re: Articles on best NBA prospects for '08 Draft

Chase Budinger? Really?! My grandma could score on him. In fact, I think she's the only one who didn't in the Purdue game.

One would think you would need lateral quickness to succeed in volleyball. Or at least lateral movement.

[edit] Also, I love this:

He does have some baggage in terms of personal maturity
    A Bob Huggins recruit that's immature?! Noooo!
    Last edited by Kegboy; 07-02-2007 at 11:36 AM.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously out of next years draft I think the two best fits for the Pacers are Gordon and Rose. Hopefully we will be able to come out of next years draft with at least one of them.
    Do you realize how bad we'll have to suck next year to get one of those guys?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Top 5 pick? I think we are already in the bottom 5 of the NBA so I don't think this is beyond the realm of possibility at all.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes that's the problem. The Pacers will have to suck hard to get those guys and it's not only possible, it's LIKELY. I've said all along it would get worse before it got better. I've seen nothing to change my mind on that.

If JO goes out for any period of time, we're looking at a possible #1 pick. I think I would take Rose over Gordon though. Rose is actually a PG whereas Gordon is a 6'3-6'4 shooting guard.

Damn, the off season is REALLY freaking boring. We're already talking about the '08 draft?????????

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    If JO goes out for any period of time, we're looking at a possible #1 pick. I think I would take Rose over Gordon though. Rose is actually a PG whereas Gordon is a 6'3-6'4 shooting guard.
    If Mayo could get his head on straight he's better than both of them, and hasn't even tapped his full potential. And the last thing this team needs is another headcase. As things stand right now you'd have to take Gordon or Rose.

To take this on a tangent - for everyone who was going nuts about how great Conley is - and will be as a pro - compare him to someone like Rose, Gordon or Mayo.

THOSE are potentially great players. Conley will be serviceable. Conley was this year's Noah - except he was smart and declared.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Shouldn't be a problem.

Banned

I'll take Rose, Gordon, or Mayo. Hell, I'll take anything at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    Damn, the off season is REALLY freaking boring. We're already talking about the '08 draft?????????

It's better then last year; hearing about Al Harrington is going to save the day, and we are going to be the new run-n-gun team of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    To take this on a tangent - for everyone who was going nuts about how great Conley is - and will be as a pro - compare him to someone like Rose, Gordon or Mayo.

THOSE are potentially great players. Conley will be serviceable. Conley was this year's Noah - except he was smart and declared.
    Exactly.Conley is going to be a good pro, but I got so sick of everybody talking about him becoming the next Chris Paul. Hell I think if Lowery is healthy he'll give Conley a run for his money.

I will say this on Mayo, he has the potential to be a great basketball player but if I'm the pacers I would stay far away from him. No more question character players.

I'll take one bad year for ten years with one of these guys.

If we can't get Gordon or Rose, I want either Thabeet or Love. But it depends what moves we make before then.

The Pacers have a number one next year? ;-)
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Gordon is number one, but kevin Love would be a great fit in Indiana, I think.

Now that I think about it...we shouldn't get Thabeet, seeing as thought we don't have a big man coach.

I don't expect us to anywhere near top 5 in the draft, but if we are, I'm rooting for Eric Gordon. A IU kid who's actually worth taking at that pick range? I'm there. It could be similar to Cleveland getting their native in LeBron. I'm not saying he'll be that good (I have no idea other than what people tell me about him), but to get a very talented player that's from here would be great for the fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    The Pacers have a number one next year? ;-)
    We do now. Who knows if we still will by then.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I'm willing to bet the Pacers are going to push really hard to get Gordon in next years draft no matter where we end up. As Mal said, it would be great for the fan base to get a promising IU player.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I don't expect us to anywhere near top 5 in the draft, but if we are, I'm rooting for Eric Gordon. A IU kid who's actually worth taking at that pick range? I'm there. It could be similar to Cleveland getting their native in LeBron. I'm not saying he'll be that good (I have no idea other than what people tell me about him), but to get a very talented player that's from here would be great for the fanbase.
    eric seems to me like a rich man's ben gordon (rich because eric can play defense and play the point) i'd take him long before the other two big name PGs
    This is the darkest timeline.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Something like the 11-26 they were in FEB/MAR/APR of last year? That translates to 24-58 over a full season. Yeah, that could get it done I think.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post

Even if he had a similar season as a sophmore he'd be behind those guys next year, that's for certain. Hibbert was smart though, needed the time to develop and moves away from such a big man heavy draft to one with a lot more backcourt talent instead.

The Pacers need a guard and next year is the guard draft, not this year. This was the PF/C draft.