Thread: what about dealing with Utah? Let's go get our shooter!

Default what about dealing with Utah? Let's go get our shooter!

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts. What if we sent JO to Utah in a deal for AK47, Memhet Okur, and the rights to Morris Almond?

We'd get the shooter we wanted in the Draft, a former allstar in Kirilenko ready for a new start, and a solid shooter/role player in Memhet Okur.

Utah would be able to pair up Carlos Boozer and JO in their starting front court and dominate the paint in the west. Not even Aldridge and Oden could match up. Imagine Boozer gaurding Tim Duncan with JO on coming over for the help defense. Utah would be crazy to turn it down. And you know they'd love to get rid of Kirilenko.

To make the Salary's work, we'd have to ship David Harrison or Shawne Williams to Utah as filler.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: what about dealing with Utah? Let's go get our shooter!

What I like about this deal is that it is with a Western Conference team, and we get great value for JO.

The problem is I think we get too much value. I wouldn't think what I just said if I hadn't heard that Sloan has reaffirmed his faith in AK47 repeatedly this offseason.

Without AK47 in the deal salaries are really hard to match in this situation. Any deal with Utah I would demand a package that started with Okur. We'd probably have to take on Matt Harpring (decent shooter but very similar player to Dunleavy) to make it work. We'd be getting at least one undesirable in return, so in exchange for that we'd better try to get Millsap and Almond, in exchange for Shawne Williams of course.

It would be hard to work a deal with the Jazz out IMHO.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I like about this deal is that it is with a Western Conference team, and we get great value for JO.

The problem is I think we get too much value. I wouldn't think what I just said if I hadn't heard that Sloan has reaffirmed his faith in AK47 repeatedly this offseason.

Without AK47 in the deal salaries are really hard to match in this situation. Any deal with Utah I would demand a package that started with Okur. We'd probably have to take on Matt Harpring (decent shooter but very similar player to Dunleavy) to make it work. We'd be getting at least one undesirable in return, so in exchange for that we'd better try to get Millsap and Almond, in exchange for Shawne Williams of course.

It would be hard to work a deal with the Jazz out IMHO.
    harpring is a tough defender, knows how to finish around the rim, decent shooter. dunleavy facilitates an offense, nice passer, decent shooter. both are SF, but i think their games are quite different.

i think we could get a 3way with utah done... maybe with the clippers... maggette and o'neal going to utah, okur and tinsley going to clips... almond, cassell and kirilenko coming to the pacers.
    This is the darkest timeline.

No thanks.

AK47 is a nice player but is at his best when he is the 3rd best player. I think he has a pretty big contract for his production as of late, or lack of it.

I don't see why the Jazz trade Okur. Him and Boozer worked very well together, why fix what is not broken?

The Pacers don't need Almond. IMO, Almond is no more talented or much different than Rush.

I don't really see either side persuing this deal.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No thanks.

AK47 is a nice player but is at his best when he is the 3rd best player. I think he has a pretty big contract for his production as of late, or lack of it.
    you're contradicting yourself. this was the first year that AK was not a primary option he was the 3rd or 4th best behind a combo of okur, boozer and deron. he was at his best in years passed when boozer was injured and it was only after being forced into a lesser role and into the SF position where he couldn't roam the paint on defense looking for steals and blocks. also, he's much more comfortable in a uptempo offense which with boozer back and healthy wasn't the case. you'll notice this by AK's better numbers against the warriors... when the jazz were playing golden state's tempo.
    This is the darkest timeline.